PDA

View Full Version : Is it just the RT?!

zamfield
09-10-2014, 03:31 PM
I've been a member here for a month and a half.
Had the ST-S for about the same without any problems... 2014, 1 mile on it when I picked it up. It's got 1500 on it now.

Is it just me or does the RT have a huge amount of issues?
Heat, tires, ignition, stalling... etc. etc. etc!
Every day it seems that there's someone else listing something else on the site in regards to issues.

What's going on?
I though the RT was the cream de cream of Spyders?! :dontknow:

ARtraveler
09-10-2014, 03:33 PM
The issues have been few and far between. Not every 2014 RT has the issues.

Not sure where you are getting heat and stalling. ???

My tires are fine. Yes, I did have the ignition switch replaced.
8,000 miles since April 30.

Tazzel
09-10-2014, 03:34 PM
No, that would be the RS that have very little issues

zamfield
09-10-2014, 03:49 PM
The issues have been few and far between. Not every 2014 RT has the issues.

Not sure where you are getting heat and stalling. ???

My tires are fine. Yes, I did have the ignition switch replaced.
8,000 miles since April 30.

Maybe I'm just reading all the posts and noticing them more... Being a new member, these things stand out to me.
I guess when you see / read them every day after a year or two (or three!) you get used to seeing the complaints.

Dragonrider
09-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Many of the posts are from folks with issues - those without issues rarely seem to post. My '14 is fine too.

ekfraz
09-10-2014, 04:17 PM
I am having severe heat issues, boiling gas, so I have a 1,000.00 pound paper weight in my garage. BRP will not respond to e-mail's. customer service stinks.

2013 RTS-SE5, 1,650 miles

joebryanjr
09-10-2014, 04:19 PM
I have a 2014 RT with 1700 mi since Aug 1. Only issue was a bad parking brake motor which has been fixed.
many of the issues with heat are on a small number of 2013 RT and ST models. Tire wear on the new RT appears to be due to a change in the tire composition which BRP has recently rectified.
Beyond that, as others have mentioned, this forum is a great place for help from other owners and the few problems seem to be accentuated. Those without issues are too busy ryding to post!

Bob Denman
09-10-2014, 04:26 PM
over 4,000 miles on mine...
It's been nothing but, "Beer & Skittles"! :2thumbs:

outlawsix
09-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Had the ST-S for about the same without any problems... 2014, 1 mile on it when I picked it up. It's got 1500 on it now.

Every day it seems that there's someone else listing something else on the site in regards to issues.

What's going on?

it is the 2013 and older RTS with the 998 engine that re having the issues. The 2014 and newer with 1330 engines dont have the heat, burning up gas, catching fire issues... I have a 2013 RTS, so yes heat is a huge issues with mine.

Bob Denman
09-10-2014, 04:45 PM
What efforts have you made, in an attempt to "quell the fires"? :dontknow:

KyPadre
09-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Can't compare with 2013... 2014-RT-S replaced almost 40yrs on Gold Wings. Ignition replaced per recall... and other than balancing the front tires, I've put on almost 7000 mi since April and very happy:yes:

outlawsix
09-10-2014, 04:51 PM
What efforts have you made, in an attempt to "quell the fires"? :dontknow:

Short of installing a cat bypass...all of them BOB, we have went over this before. Although as much as you post I can understand you not remembering...

ARtraveler
09-10-2014, 04:51 PM
I am having severe heat issues, boiling gas, so I have a 1,000.00 pound paper weight in my garage. BRP will not respond to e-mail's. customer service stinks.

2013 RTS-SE5, 1,650 miles

This thread referenced the 2014 RT--not the 2013's.

Bob Denman
09-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Short of installing a cat bypass...all of them BOB, we have went over this before. Although as much as you post I can understand you not remembering...
I'm sorry that I didn't remember you... :opps:
There's been a whole lot of 2013 RT owners trying to find solutions... :opps:

outlawsix
09-10-2014, 04:57 PM
This thread referenced the 2014 RT--not the 2013's.

Actually Sir..He says he has a 2014 ST, and asks why so many issues with the RT..he does not specify if he meant a 2014 RT, or all of the RT's in general. And since the heat is an issue on 2013 and older seems as though he was being broad in his question :)

ARtraveler
09-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Actually Sir..He says he has a 2014 ST, and asks why so many issues with the RT..he does not specify if he meant a 2014 RT, or all of the RT's in general. And since the heat is an issue on 2013 and older seems as though he was being broad in his question :)

Upon second and third re-reading of the OP, I guess it could be all RT's and not just the 2014.

Maybe the OP will clarify what he meant. :dontknow:

outlawsix
09-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Since im in a good mood i will dance with you. No where did he specify which year. Some of the things he listed, primarly heat, since have not read of a 2014 RT yet having heat issues, indicates he has covered issues from multiple years. Tires can be 2013 or 2014. Ignition that is 2014 issue, unless there is one for the 2013 and before as well, since lawd knows why not add another egg to the basket So Im going with he was asking about RTS in general. However only one way to know :)

Any way one slices it...RT's should not have the issues they have.

OldCowboy
09-10-2014, 05:14 PM
There have been some unhappy customers with 2013 RTs. Many of them have had heat complaints. I did some work on mine to have the heat from the radiator come out the bottom of the :spyder2:. Since then, no heat issues on my right
foot. I had the service bulletin done in April and in spite of 90*+ temps have not had a problem with excessive heat, boiling gas, etc. I bought JTs air intake, but haven't been motivated to install it, since heat hasn't been the problem.

ARtraveler
09-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Maybe I'm just reading all the posts and noticing them more... Being a new member, these things stand out to me.
I guess when you see / read them every day after a year or two (or three!) you get used to seeing the complaints.

If you mean all :spyder2: RT's and not just the 2014 year, I currently own two of them, and have 60,500 combined miles on the three that I have own(ed).

No major issues on any except for factory recall for throttle body and gas cap. Have replaced tires (normal wear at 20K or so for fronts and 15K or so for rears) a broken cruise control switch, a disconnected shift linkage, and the ignition/trunk latch issue on the 2014.

ARtraveler
09-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Since im in a good mood i will dance with you. No where did he specify which year. Some of the things he listed, primarly heat, since have not read of a 2014 RT yet having heat issues, indicates he has covered issues from multiple years. Tires can be 2013 or 2014. Ignition that is 2014 issue, unless there is one for the 2013 and before as well, since lawd knows why not add another egg to the basket So Im going with he was asking about RTS in general. However only one way to know :)

I added a little of my personal experience in post #19.

BikerDoc
09-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Short of installing a cat bypass...all of them BOB, we have went over this before. Although as much as you post I can understand you not remembering... When I measured the temp on the catalytic converter surface at operating temp it was 352 degree.. the same surface area after the cat delete
was 170 ---- so it really is a worthwhile heat reducer... especially i would think on the 2013

mtdoragary
09-10-2014, 05:27 PM
I was unhappy with my 2008 RS because of heat issues. Unrideable where we lived in Florida. Our 2014 RT Limited has been a joy to ride, but the tires WERE replaced today under warranty.

BikerDoc
09-10-2014, 05:30 PM
I have over 20000 miles on my 2014 Rt L including 1000 in 24 hours earlier this week and haven't had any problems yet.. I always maintain that unhappy people will be much more vocal than happy people

Bob Denman
09-10-2014, 05:56 PM
:shocked::hun:
I always thought that I was pretty darn happy... :roflblack: :joke:

Cal777
09-10-2014, 05:56 PM
I brought it on a whim and had 11,000 enjoyable miles with only the DPS replaced under warranty. Then I brought a 2011 LTD and put 22,000 more enjoyable miles on her with only throttle bodies replaced under warranty. Then the 2014 model came out and I brought another LTD and with only an ignition replaced under warranty, I have 11,000 better miles on that baby. I also have a HD trike and had a Stallion and loved them both, but they are/were not in the class with the Spyder. My Spyder is one of the things that I didn't know I wanted until I got it and now couldn't imagine not having it. These people that are always kidnapping every thread with their troll ways make me sick. If I brought something to have fun with and wasn't happy with it I would sell it at a loss if necessary because I've had it happen before. Anyone who would continually gripe and complain and evidently get pleasure from that needs help, and not only from BRP. If I was all that happy with a Gold Wing, they trike them!

Bob Denman
09-10-2014, 06:23 PM
:shocked: Please remember: not every complainer is a "Troll"...
There have been some very legitimate issues with some of the bikes; but that also does NOT make them all pieces of :cus:.

...As some may try to have you believe! :banghead:

Chupaca
09-10-2014, 06:29 PM
the more goodies the more issues. The more units the more posts. The more help needed the more folks come here. This is what we do. But it's not as bad as it seems. We are but a small part of the roadster world...:thumbup:

BikerDoc
09-10-2014, 06:35 PM
I always thought that I was pretty darn happy... :roflblack: :joke: now bob you know there is a difference between noisy and vocal lol

coz
09-10-2014, 06:37 PM
yes,,,,,,,,,, it is.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::ro flblack::joke:

Ronbo
09-10-2014, 06:58 PM

What's going on?

My 2014 has been flawless...7500 miles

Ron

Cal777
09-10-2014, 07:02 PM
But, the ones that go on and on and kidnap thread after thread griping and complaining about the same things are the ones that I don't understand. What are they trying to accomplish? Anyone that feels that they have a problem that hasn't been properly taken care of has a right to complain, but after so long move on, life is short.

Dragonrider
09-10-2014, 07:06 PM
I had a 2010 RT too, and other than the Factory DPS fix, it had no issues at all.

zamfield
09-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Upon second and third re-reading of the OP, I guess it could be all RT's and not just the 2014.

Maybe the OP will clarify what he meant. :dontknow:

Certainly... I was being a typically broad Brit!

I understand its mainly the '13 RT but ignition problems seem too frequent for something that's just rolled off the block.

Now, all that said... it could just be repeat posts / answers to older issues that keep popping up.
If that's the case, then great.

I just don't want to worry that I may be getting ready for a mountain of issues, the longer I ride my ST, or that I'm now part of a bumbling motorcycle company.

I wonder why, after you've laid down good money for their product, BRP won't assist some owners with their issues?

DrewNJ
09-10-2014, 07:11 PM
To answer the OP's question. Yes, you are correct, most of the issues you read about are RT related.

zamfield
09-10-2014, 07:11 PM

Exactly!

You'd hope any manufacturer worth their salt would look at issues on current models and fix them on the next gen.
Old issues will pop up and bite you in the @rse if they don't fix them.

zamfield
09-10-2014, 07:21 PM
To answer the OP's question. Yes, you are correct, most of the issues you read about are RT related.

Cheers Drew... 34 posts, but I got my answer! :thumbup:

Feeling better now! LOL! :p

DrewNJ
09-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Cheers Drew... 34 posts, but I got my answer! [emoji106]

Feeling better now! LOL! :p
Glad to help! [emoji1]

mtdoragary
09-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I have over 20000 miles on my 2014 Rt L including 1000 in 24 hours earlier this week and haven't had any problems yet.. I always maintain that unhappy people will be much more vocal than happy people

WELL SAID!

zamfield
09-10-2014, 07:32 PM
WELL SAID!

Just to clarify and so as to not piss off the already pissed off... I didn't mention the "unhappy" folks!

Just want to make that clear... don't need any of that unhappy lot ticked at me!! :2thumbs:

:joke:

Bob Denman
09-10-2014, 08:40 PM
now bob you know there is a difference between noisy and vocal lol
:opps: Guilty as charged... :D

ChasCS
09-10-2014, 09:31 PM
I always thought that I was pretty darn happy... :roflblack: :joke:

Yes, ah but you're not very vocal Bob.
We have to get you, to come out if your shell, a little bit more often., eh!

Chas

chuck gross
09-10-2014, 10:05 PM
I would say that there are more issues discussed with the RT because they are the top selling machine in the spyder line and they are also the most expensive . I have a 2011 RT with 20,000 miles and only a few issues that were promptly taken care of by BRP warranty and a great dealer/service department. I also have a 2013 STL that has had quite a few issues from heat to stalling my dealer/service department has done a great job of getting to the bottom of all of these issues for instance they kept my STL for 3 weeks to make sure they got to the bottom of the stalling issue working closely with BRP they got it fixed this was in early spring before I was really itchen to ryde so I didn't mind at all that they kept it that long and my patience paid off as the STL has been running fantastic all summer they will be installing my new air scoop side panels under warranty next Tuesday. I feel fortunate to have a great dealership with the best mechanic and service department in the northwest to work with. I also feel for the people who can't get good service. remember folks these are very high tech machines and it takes time to diagnose and repair these awesome machines so show your service guys some patience and by all means use this wonderful resource called spyder lovers I have had many AH-HA moments from all the experienced posters on this site sharing issues good bad ugly it's all information to filter through. thanks to all :thumbup:

flaggerphil
09-11-2014, 12:09 AM
I would say that there are more issues discussed with the RT because they are the top selling machine in the spyder line and they are also the most expensive . I have a 2011 RT with 20,000 miles and only a few issues that were promptly taken care of by BRP warranty and a great dealer/service department.

I've had the same situation with my 2011 RT...some relatively minor issues early on that were taken care of by my dealer and BRP with no problems. Been riding trouble free ever since.

My RT-AC is a fantastic motorcycle!!

Top End Unlimited
09-11-2014, 04:48 AM
over 4,000 miles on mine...
It's been nothing but, "Beer & Skittles"! :2thumbs:

I'll have some ! :2excited: :clap:

MouthPiece
09-11-2014, 05:50 AM
But, the ones that go on and on and kidnap thread after thread griping and complaining about the same things are the ones that I don't understand. What are they trying to accomplish? Anyone that feels that they have a problem that hasn't been properly taken care of has a right to complain, but after so long move on, life is short.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Bob Denman
09-11-2014, 06:49 AM
I'll have some ! :2excited: :clap:

PM me your email address, and I'll fax you some! :roflblack: :thumbup:

CapNCrunch
09-11-2014, 12:22 PM

What's going on?

I picked up my new RT-S SE5 in March of 2011, and have put on over 6,000 miles. Haven't
had ONE problem with it. Good gas mileage (in the 30"s), and the rear tire isn't ready for replacement, yet. Have only a very few miles on the "super slab", but lots in the twisties. It handles like a dream, and goes where I point it. However, I have had 3 scheduled services by Hawke Lawshe, an excellent Spyder technician at, JESCO Marine, in Kalispell, MT.
Take care,
CapNCrunch : =)

RyderJCF
09-11-2014, 01:30 PM
2012 RT Limited- NO ISSUES!

dtkennney
09-11-2014, 05:56 PM
I can not speak for earlier models, but my 2014 with 9000 miles on it is a gem. I think it is good to remember that for every legit complaint. There are hundreds of others without problems.

The 2013 RT is the one exception.

DrewNJ
09-11-2014, 06:31 PM
You'll hear more complaints about the RT simply because it has more going on. There is more gadgetry to fail or be problematic.

zamfield
09-11-2014, 06:45 PM
You'll hear more complaints about the RT simply because it has more going on. There is more gadgetry to fail or be problematic.

This is my point though... more gadgets shouldn't (and judging by the majority of replies, doesn't) mean more problems!
Companies in my opinion, all over the world are putting out substandard products these days... again, I'm generalizing .

DrewNJ
09-11-2014, 07:17 PM
This is my point though... more gadgets shouldn't (and judging by the majority of replies, doesn't) mean more problems!
Companies in my opinion, all over the world are putting out substandard products these days... again, I'm generalizing .
It's just life bro'. If it's mechanical or electronic it will be more prone to breaking. But only more prone simply because it exists.

If your worried about gadgets breaking than the solution is to buy simple. Buy an RS or a base RT.

Can-Am Poogs
09-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Will be selling my RTS and going back to a HD. I'm not used to a bike going in for a repair and not coming out three weeks later. No slam on Spyders but I rather go to a bike shop that fixes bikes and bikes only, not atvs and utvs and personal water crafts and snowmobiles. It's not a recipe for good service. At least with HD you can get it back in a couple of days or by the end of a week. Even my kawasaki has better dealership service, and if I need parts overnight freight that is actually overnight. Bikes break down. The RTS no more than anything else. BRP falls short on customer support and service technician knowledge. I have enjoyed the product. I had a great purchase experience, but with a short motorcycle season, I have higher expectations of BRP. Most of the complaints I read here are about frustrations getting repairs done properly and timely, not that the bike break down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zamfield
09-11-2014, 07:27 PM
It's just life bro'. If it's mechanical or electronic it will be more prone to breaking. But only more prone simply because it exists.

If your worried about gadgets breaking than the solution is to buy simple. Buy an RS or a base RT.

I didn't say I was worried... I've an STS that's been wonderful, its first few thousand miles in a couple of months.
My other gadgets are wonderful too.

Just seems that we buy things nowadays and give it no thought when (BMW) brakes fail, or things melt due to over heating, or keys get jammed in ignitions... are companies rushing to get things out these days or am I rushing to judgment?? - I don't think so.

Oldmanzues
09-11-2014, 07:57 PM
17k on a 2008 GS/RS with no real problem, 26K on 2010 RT with no real problems except me old and not able to ride long distances, like to the LaMonster BBQ.
I have aways wondered about the heat thing. I did get Spyderpops stuff, but did not feel the heat was a major issue for me. Apparently some 2013's had huge problems, so will leave them out of my rant/discussion.
98 degrees heat on Harley in Pigeon forge, did not realize Car show along road.
96 degrees at a rallly in MS
How many of the heat issue guy/gals had previous experience on other motorcycles?
Oldmanzues

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Just seems that we buy things nowadays and give it no thought when (BMW) brakes fail, or things melt due to over heating, or keys get jammed in ignitions... are companies rushing to get things out these days or am I rushing to judgment?? - I don't think so.
You really are not rushing to judgment, but I think you are mistaken. Out of curiosity, how many years have you been shuffling around on this mortal coil? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if you are familiar with cars from the 60's and 70's. If so you will notice there are a lot of quality improvements in cars today. For example, I can remember as a kid my older brother bragging how he was able to get 16,000 miles out of a set of Goodyear Double Eagle tires on his '56 Chevy. Remember changing spark plugs every few thousand miles. Now they go for 100,000 miles. My '70 Dodge station wagon had a shot transmission at 90,000 miles. Now they regularly last up to 200,000. Remember distributor points? Used to go bad about every 10,000 miles. Now, no points at all. It's computer controlled. And speaking of computers just think how well the ECM functions, like the one in the Spyder. It controls hundreds of parameters and reads them hundreds of times per second. At 4800 RPM it fires each spark plug 40 times per second. And seldom, if ever, hangs like your PC does.

What you are probably seeing is a greater and greater push to not over design or over build a product like manufacturers used to do. If the Spyder is designed for a life of, say, 60,000 miles, 90+ per cent of the them will last from something like 50,000 to 70,000 miles, 5% less than 50k, and 5% more than 70k. These numbers are examples only. I don't feel like digging out the values and discussion of +/- 3 sigmas that characterize normal distributions seen in real life manufacturing.

So even though it often seems like product quality is going to hell in a hand basket, overall the opposite is the real case. That's one of the reasons why failures are so noticeable and garner so much attention, they are the exception, not the rule like it was 50 years ago.

Woodsrider
09-12-2014, 08:14 PM
2012 RT, no heat issues...or anything else other than a water deflector that decided to go walkabout. My Electra Glide Ultra Classic had heat issues, sucker would cook your eggs on a warm day, especially at a stop light.

Questions
09-13-2014, 10:15 AM
I have a 2014 RT with 1700 mi since Aug 1. Only issue was a bad parking brake motor which has been fixed.
many of the issues with heat are on a small number of 2013 RT and ST models. Tire wear on the new RT appears to be due to a change in the tire composition which BRP has recently rectified.
Beyond that, as others have mentioned, this forum is a great place for help from other owners and the few problems seem to be accentuated. Those without issues are too busy ryding to post!

noticed your comment regarding tire wear. Haven't heard about BRP changing the tire composition. Rear tire on my 2014 RT Limited was worn out at 11600 km or 7200 miles. Apparently BRP agreed to cover it under warranty but have not got my money back from the dealer yet. Also not to happy with the replacement tire. Have only about 5500 km or 3400 miles and it already shows significant wear.
Did the dealer tell you about BRP changing the tire composition
Other than tire wear no problemes with the 2014 rt. Good improvement in the gas mileage however do find the 1330 motor a little noisy. Do like the sound of the twin better