PDA

View Full Version : My 09 RS parking brake won't engage..is this spring the problem?

SrtJake
09-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Put a new battery in it today since it was time and at the Se time I noticed that I could not engage the parking brake. I can help the little keeper to make it engage but not without help. Any ideas? Is it this small spring in the pic that has gotten weak and need to be replaced? I have a video I'm going to upload as well. If it is the spring,O's it dealer only? Thanks!

billybovine
09-10-2014, 10:36 AM
If the pedal won't latch, won't unlatch or fully return to the top can be fixed by cleaning and lubricating the cam mechanism in the foot pedal. The service manual says to use engine oil but I used white lithium grease. I would clean it first with a spray of brake clean.

Chupaca
09-10-2014, 01:28 PM
:agree: also make sure your park brake is adjusted correctly. If to loose the latch has no/weak tension and doesn't lock well....:thumbup:

SrtJake
09-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Thank you both for the feedback! Cleaning and greasing worked like a charm! I would have never believed it but it's now fixed. Glad to have this forum to turn to. Appreciate the help once again.