PDA

View Full Version : Spiked bikes, Winter Riding...

ChasCS
09-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Perhaps all is not lost, when Frosty comes to town.
This may save you...

Max BMW Motorsport's BMW S 1000 RR is a Badass Ice Killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHPOw-Xmm4o

If this long and unusually cold and snowy winter has got you down, Max BMW Motorsport has the cure. Their BMW S 1000 RR is a badass ice killer. Fitted with spiked Michelin Pilots, this maniacal motorbike will blaze across a frozen lake, leaving scars in the ice as a testament to its superiority.

The gang at Max BMW Motorsport either have no fear, or an intense urge to ride. Watch the video, and witness the sheer awesomness of the ice killing BMW S 1000 RR in action.

Why can't we do that to a set of winter tyre?

Chas

sddinnh
09-08-2014, 09:49 PM
On the BMW, I'm pretty sure you can turn the traction control off. On the Spyder, you can't and that might get in the way. Max's is about 30 miles from my house and they did all my BMW work when I was riding 2 wheels. They are an awesome dealership and most of the guys down there race.

ARtraveler
09-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Not me. My dealer actually tried studded tires. He did one ride and parked it.

I have talked winter safety before, but don't want to start up that one again. Much controversy last time. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Those things terrify me... :shocked:
It's just like riding with a pair of chainsaws on each end of the bike! :yikes:

bmccaffrey
09-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Does awesome in a straight line. Wonder how it corners:dontknow:

Bob Denman
09-10-2014, 07:25 AM
YOu can lean an ice-racer over until your knees start showing signs of "Freezer burn"... :D

Oldmanzues
09-10-2014, 09:01 AM
I have seen smaller mc do this, like a 250 or so. One big difference, beside size/weight. These had wire guards covering all but the bottom of the wheel. I would sure hate to have one of those tires contct my body if I or somebody else when down. As Bob said, chainsaws in action.
I will pass on this one
Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
09-10-2014, 09:22 AM
About 30 years ago; I was watching some ice racing, and a rider brushed his front wheel up against the leg of the fellow who was on this right... :shocked:

The guy on the outside looked down at his leg, pulled over immediately, and collapsed before the bike stopped... :yikes:
The emergency personnel got him out of there, and to a hospital in a REAL hurry!
Even with the guards; that spiked-tire removed a lot of blood, AND leg, from him! nojoke

bmccaffrey
09-10-2014, 07:00 PM
About 30 years ago; I was watching some ice racing, and a rider brushed his front wheel up against the leg of the fellow who was on this right... :shocked:

The guy on the outside looked down at his leg, pulled over immediately, and collapsed before the bike stopped... :yikes:
The emergency personnel got him out of there, and to a hospital in a REAL hurry!
Even with the guards; that spiked-tire removed a lot of blood, AND leg, from him! nojoke

YIKES!!!!!!!:yikes:

Bob Denman
09-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Curiously enough...
There was FIM ice racing, from Russia on tonight! :D

ChasCS
09-10-2014, 08:58 PM
What channel will it be broadcast?
Yeah, funny enough suddenly I have a keen interest, in a sport that never intrigued me before.

Chas

Bob Denman
09-11-2014, 07:00 AM
I have DirecTV, and I believe that I found it on "214"... (I don't know the name of the channel... :opps:)