PDA

View Full Version : Downshifting/Engine Braking a '14 RT SM6

Mad_Dog603
09-08-2014, 08:17 AM
I am normally a big downshift/engine brake type of rider.. rather than just clutching and braking..
So I have read the manual and did some searches on the forums but have not found much on the topic..
I don't want to put excessive wear on the clutch/engine if downshifting to brake is not recommended..
Does anyone have a read on downshifting/engine braking an SM6/1330 Engine?
Good to do.. Bad to do.. less wear and tear on the brakes.. but more on the clutch/engine..
Trying to understand which is overall best for my RT..

Bob Denman
09-08-2014, 09:27 AM
:dontknow: The 1330s sem to have a more aggressive downshift program in their SE-6 transmissions, than the previous models...
I'd use the gears. :thumbup:

ThreeWheels
09-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Not passing judgment, just adding another flavor of opinion to the mix.
I've never been in favor of using the engine as a brake in cars or bikes.
IMHO, brake pads are so much cheaper to replace than clutches or engine components.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure others will agree with you.

Chupaca
09-08-2014, 09:43 AM
which engine makes no difference. On the manuals you can pretty much drive them as you are accustom to. I am like you and use the engine more than the brakes. Have never had a problem nor those I ryde with. The auto (se5) have but mostly from not being at the right rpm's when ryding...:thumbup:

sddinnh
09-08-2014, 09:52 AM
which engine makes no difference. On the manuals you can pretty much drive them as you are accustom to. I am like you and use the engine more than the brakes. Have never had a problem nor those I ryde with. The auto (se5) have but mostly from not being at the right rpm's when ryding...:thumbup:

That's the primary reason for me down shifting manually, to bring the RPM's up to what I will need to accelerate on exiting the corner and so I can control the cornering better with the throttle. The braking is just a by product of that. If I am not pushing it, or at lights, I just let the SE6 downshift as it requires.

Mad_Dog603
09-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Fully understand.. but it is just more fun at times.. lol..

Not passing judgment, just adding another flavor of opinion to the mix.
I've never been in favor of using the engine as a brake in cars or bikes.
IMHO, brake pads are so much cheaper to replace than clutches or engine components.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure others will agree with you.

Mad_Dog603
09-08-2014, 12:24 PM
I understand that a higher percentage of the RT's out there are SE6 unlike my SM6.. which the dealer told me was like finding a chicken with teeth.. so I am manually downshifting rather than letting the computer do it for me.. I have always liked to down shift and engine brake.. it just feels more fun.. my concern was that this might not be the best for either the 1330 engine or in general the Spyder..

Having said that.. I agree.. brakes are cheaper than clutches, but generally it does not sound like this is a no no like lugging the engine or top ending a gear..

Thank-you for the feedback!

fispyder
09-08-2014, 02:38 PM
I put 42,506 miles on a 2010 RTS sm5 I down shifted all the time, no problems with transmission. I just traded for new RTL se6 I will down shift on it too. Been doing it all my life never had any problems on any autos I've own

Roadster Renovations
09-08-2014, 06:40 PM
As far as clutch wear, since it is a centrifugal clutch, higher RPM will keep it locked in so manually downshifting should keep it looked up more than letting it drop in RPM's to shift itself. I downshift mine all the time. It helps slow the bike and gives me power to move quickly if something around me requires a quick response to stay safe. I know it sounds a little crazy, but 3,300 RPM's seems to be the sweet spot for the 1330 for me.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-08-2014, 09:18 PM
A very very very long time ago a mechanic told me .......Yep downshifting to slow down is really great.............great for me because transmission and clutch repair makes me a H*LL of lot more money than replacing Brake Pads .....Take that for for what it's worth to you ....Mikeguyver :thumbup: