PDA

View Full Version : Pain in my hands..

Ladyj
09-07-2014, 05:13 PM
I've own my Spyder for about 6mths and I am experiencing a lot of pain in my hands. This happens when I ride at a speed of 70mph or higher. My hands go numb and the throbbing is very painful. I changed my handgrips but that didnt help. Any suggestions!!

CentralCoastCA
09-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Do you have an RS, ST or RT? If it's an RS, you could be leaning too far forward and putting lots of pressure on your wrists/palms. If that's the case, risers can help significantly. The other thing is gripping the handlebars too tightly could cause your pain.

If you notice the pain only at higher speeds, it may be possible that you are out of alignment and have to wrestle your handlebars to keep your Spyder on track. A ROLO laser alignment may be in order if you have not already had it done. Also, you may check your belt tension as it will vibrate if too tight.

i hope you find an answer and solution soon.

donec
09-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Sounds to me like you are squeezing the hand grips too tight. Try to loosen up. When my hands start feeling a little numb I open my fingers and wiggle them keeping throttle pushed between my thumb and the joint where it meets my hand. You could also look into a cramp buster throttle control.

otter28169
09-07-2014, 05:49 PM
If you are traveling at these higher speeds are you highway riding? If so you are maintaining a fairly constant speed and hand position on the bars. If the pain and numbness is in your thumb, index and middle fingers it could be carpal tunnel inflammation. When driving around town you are moving your hands, and wrists and the pain may not present itself. The pain may feel like your hands are burning and/or numb, and it may even run up your forearm and make your elbow ache. Other nerves can be affected in your wrists by the positioning of your hands while you ride. It might be a good idea to have a nerve conductivity test to see if you have nerve damage.

Just sayin'............

BikerDoc
09-07-2014, 06:02 PM
I've own my Spyder for about 6mths and I am experiencing a lot of pain in my hands. This happens when I ride at a speed of 70mph or higher. My hands go numb and the throbbing is very painful. I changed my handgrips but that didnt help. Any suggestions!! Don't hold it so tight......use cruise control more and relax your hands open on top of the bars

Motorcycledave
09-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Try not griping the handle bars so hard and or go 69 mph

Dgjason
09-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Don't hold it so tight......use cruise control more and relax your hands open on top of the bars

definately learn to to use your cruise control more as Doc says and relax. Do you have any experience riding any other motorcycles. If this is your first you may have a longer learning curve. Give yourself time.

spyderyderjim
09-07-2014, 10:06 PM
I've own my Spyder for about 6mths and I am experiencing a lot of pain in my hands. This happens when I ride at a speed of 70mph or higher. My hands go numb and the throbbing is very painful. I changed my handgrips but that didnt help. Any suggestions!!

Hi,
Try using these wide cramp busters, with your palm resting on it, takes off a lot of pressure from holding on to grips.
I have used these for years on my motorcycles and now 3 different RT Spyders.
I also use Grip Puppies foam grips slipped over top of stock grips.
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76265
Hope this helps you.
Jim
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/18462/i/crampbuster-wide-motorcycle-cruise-assist

Chupaca
09-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Start with the grip. If you are ryding outside your comfort zone you tend to tighten your grip. No need, relax these machine do track well hold on but don't clamp down. If not the case it may be the ryding position as mentioned....:thumbup:

Magdave
09-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Grip Puppies and gel palm gloves help. I do not grip my handles I just rest my hands on them unless I am turning. I use cruise as much as possible it IS your friend. I have had both hands surgically repaired for carpal tunnel. The Spyder properly ridden is the easiest on the hands ride I ever had.:thumbup:

ARtraveler
09-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Grip Puppies and gel palm gloves help. I do not grip my handles I just rest my hands on them unless I am turning. I use cruise as much as possible it IS your friend. I have had both hands surgically repaired for carpal tunnel. The Spyder properly ridden is the easiest on the hands ride I ever had.:thumbup:

:agree: x 2.