PDA

View Full Version : Check DPS as we are supposed to leave for SpyderQuest :(

kawakii
09-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Well - we bought a new trailer and go everything set to leave for SpyderQuest. Haven't ridden my 2011 RSS in two weeks do to work and being sick. Turn on Spyder drive it a little bit and Check DPS flashes across screen. Ugh ... Anyone have any suggestions ?

Going to run it to dealership in the morning to see if there is anything they can do or if it is the DPS unit dead ...if that's the case I guess SpyderQuest with the Spyder is out :( so upset since Ie planned this trip since December. Seems like Jakes Harley as long as it get an oil change, et. Runs great but my Spyder spends more time at the dealership then any car or bike we've ever owned. Frustrating.

kawakii
09-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Code on Spyder is P0552

Eagle1
09-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Code P0552 DPS Dynamic Power Steering refers to an electric motor that controls the steering rate/difficulty on the Spyder sped. i would definitely have it checked by a dealer.
Good Luck.

vided
09-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Code on Spyder is P0552

According to the code app, it says

Torque sensor shorted to gnd.

damaged DPS .

External troubleshooting is not possible Replace DPS

muonwhiz
09-07-2014, 05:35 PM
I have had the check DPS light come on twice while riding. I call these "jostle" warnings, as I have no idea what causes them. I just pull over in a safe place, stop the bike, turn off the ignition & take the key out. Walk away from bike taking the key at least 30 feet away from bike. Wait a few seconds. Replace key & start bike. This also works with other unexpected codes that come up with riding. I think the bike occasionally gets bumped on the road & these things pop up. Wouldn't take to dealer unless above does not clear it.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Turn on Spyder drive it a little bit and Check DPS flashes across screen. Ugh ... Anyone have any suggestions ?

Going to run it to dealership in the morning to see if there is anything they can do or if it is the DPS unit dead ...if that's the case I guess SpyderQuest with the Spyder is out :(
My DPS crapped out with no codes at all showing. See http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?72300-DPS-crapping-out! Yesterday though, it threw up the orange Check DPS screen just I as stopped in a restaurant parking lot. Stupid me didn't think to check for codes before I shut it off. When I came and started it up and checked for codes there were none.

I know how you feel. My brother took off today on a trip to north Idaho and western Montana, including the Going to the Sun highway, without me. Maybe next year!

samewok
09-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Push in all the relays. If you do not have the DPS you should be fine.
mine has had it happen two times in three years. Just stoped push in relays and then walked away for few minutes. Then every thing was fine.

bruiser
09-07-2014, 07:51 PM
How's the steering? Hard, normal? If it's hard to steer, most likely the motor is gone. BUMMER.

bill pitman
09-07-2014, 08:02 PM
bust on the dealer for a loaner, if the problem is critical,
we want to see you at SpyderQuest!!
Bill & Gretchen, SpyderQuest team members

Well - we bought a new trailer and go everything set to leave for SpyderQuest. Haven't ridden my 2011 RSS in two weeks do to work and being sick. Turn on Spyder drive it a little bit and Check DPS flashes across screen. Ugh ... Anyone have any suggestions ?

Going to run it to dealership in the morning to see if there is anything they can do or if it is the DPS unit dead ...if that's the case I guess SpyderQuest with the Spyder is out :( so upset since Ie planned this trip since December. Seems like Jakes Harley as long as it get an oil change, et. Runs great but my Spyder spends more time at the dealership then any car or bike we've ever owned. Frustrating.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-07-2014, 08:14 PM
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:.....Hey girl.....If it's running don't sweat it .......I had this and quite a few others go for a couple of years .....they were all " PHANTHOM " codes ......Bike ran fine .................The only code that matters is >>>>>>....." LIMP MODE " .......................gO TO sPYERQUEST .....mIKE :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup::thumbup::thumbup:

spydaman60
09-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Nicole, have had this happen two or three times on my rss. after 5 minutes off with key in my pocket, I have returned and bike started and ran just fine. if it doesn't steer hard and the code didn't re-occur, have it checked if you can, but don't think you will have a problem if the code didn't re-appear.:thumbup: looking forward to seeing you and jake there!!!
regards,
chuck

bmccaffrey
09-07-2014, 08:23 PM
[QagreeE=BLUEKNIGHT911;870449]:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:.....Hey girl.....If it's running don't sweat it .......I had this and quite a few others go for a couple of years .....they were all " PHANTHOM " codes ......Bike ran fine .................The only code that matters is >>>>>>....." LIMP MODE " .......................gO TO sPYERQUEST .....mIKE :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup::thumbup::thumbup:[/QUOTE]

I agree. Go for it. Plenty of people to check it out when you are there:yes::thumbup:

kawakii
09-07-2014, 08:40 PM
We went out and rode it after letting it sit for awhile. Check DPS is still flashing. Jake was able to muscle it around. The power steering definitely isn't working. We will bring to dealer in the AM and see what they say. Jake said if I still wanted to bring it to SpyderQuest to get the farkles I wanted installed he would still trailer it up for me. A loaner is out oft the question as I need a handbrake and a place to keep my wheelchair due being paraplegic.

I have an awful feeling the Spyder won't be attending SpyderQuest running at least. Jake and I are really disappointed as we just bought and outfitted a new trailer just for this trip to bring Harley and Spyder. Something we wouldn't have done until spring if we hadn't been going to this event. We even were heading up two days early to do some riding and enjoy a few days alone.

I'm determined to go anyways though, shop the vendors, catch up with everyone, eat out, naive see, and cuddle up with Jake :)

My Spyder has spent way too much time in the shop this year ... A slingshot is looking better and better lately unfortunately.

spydaman60
09-07-2014, 09:02 PM
We went out and rode it after letting it sit for awhile. Check DPS is still flashing. Jake was able to muscle it around. The power steering definitely isn't working. We will bring to dealer in the AM and see what they say. Jake said if I still wanted to bring it to SpyderQuest to get the farkles I wanted installed he would still trailer it up for me. A loaner is out oft the question as I need a handbrake and a place to keep my wheelchair due being paraplegic.

I have an awful feeling the Spyder won't be attending SpyderQuest running at least. Jake and I are really disappointed as we just bought and outfitted a new trailer just for this trip to bring Harley and Spyder. Something we wouldn't have done until spring if we hadn't been going to this event. We even were heading up two days early to do some riding and enjoy a few days alone.

I'm determined to go anyways though, shop the vendors, catch up with everyone, eat out, naive see, and cuddle up with Jake :)

My Spyder has spent way too much time in the shop this year ... A slingshot is looking better and better lately unfortunately.Nicole,
call progressive motor sports tomorrow. they are an event sponsor. see if you come up early they might be able to take care of you. speak with Karen and let her know your situation. see what they can do to help out. never know without trying.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Push in all the relays. If you do not have the DPS you should be fine.
mine has had it happen two times in three years. Just stoped push in relays and then walked away for few minutes. Then every thing was fine.
Any idea which relay may have been involved? None of them are identified as being tied into the DPS, but a couple of fuses are.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-07-2014, 09:44 PM

My Spyder has spent way too much time in the shop this year ... A slingshot is looking better and better lately unfortunately.
:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:....Nicky , if you and Jake want to take a spin on my 2014 RT -SE we will be arriving at GEL WED. AM ........PM me for CELL # ........Mike

kawakii
09-08-2014, 06:28 AM
Thank you Mike. :)

kawakii
09-08-2014, 06:31 AM
Nicole,
call progressive motor sports tomorrow. they are an event sponsor. see if you come up early they might be able to take care of you. speak with Karen and let her know your situation. see what they can do to help out. never know without trying.

Thanks - we will do some calling around as soon as we know exactly what's wrong with it. It'll depend on how quickly anyone can get a DPS unit from BRP I guess. Really am just disappointed :(

spydaman60
09-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Thanks - we will do some calling around as soon as we know exactly what's wrong with it. It'll depend on how quickly anyone can get a DPS unit from BRP I guess. Really am just disappointed :(
don't wait around, call progressive early. get the ball rolling!

kawakii
09-08-2014, 09:19 AM
don't wait around, call progressive early. get the ball rolling!

Just got it hooked up to buds it is giving P0051, and P0052 - dealer thinks is could be a loose Torgue sensor but has no time to work on it. Going to call up to progressive motorsports now and see if they can get us in.

kawakii
09-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Called progressive Powersports and they are checking with Karen about how to handle owners with issues with their Spyders. Sounds like they are pretty full up. Waiting on a call back.

kawakii
09-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Got a Call back from Karen at Progressive Powersports and that is a no go. They believe because of the code the DPS unit has to be replaced and that they are saying is a 3 1/2 hour job they don't have time for. Only have techs working on Spyders Tuesdays and Thursdays.

HK in Hooksett NH is full up as well but at least ran the BUDS report for us - they thought before DPS replacement takes place that technicians should check the torgue sensor connections for a loose connection or short.

We will bring the Spyder to Freedom Cycle in Concord NH in the am to see if they'll check for a lose connection so we know that isnt the case - And then they can confirm it needs a new DPS unit . If it needs a new DPS unit it'll stay at Freedom and we will be just coming up to Lake George to relax in our car.

Freedom is one of our home dealers so they can also fight with Zurich ( our extended warranty) for coverage of the work.
Extremely disappointed.

spydaman60
09-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Got a Call back from Karen at Progressive Powersports and that is a no go. They believe because of the code the DPS unit has to be replaced and that they are saying is a 3 1/2 hour job they don't have time for. Only have techs working on Spyders Tuesdays and Thursdays.

HK in Hooksett NH is full up as well but at least ran the BUDS report for us - they thought before DPS replacement takes place that technicians should check the torgue sensor connections for a loose connection or short.

We will bring the Spyder to Freedom Cycle in Concord NH in the am to see if they'll check for a lose connection so we know that isnt the case - And then they can confirm it needs a new DPS unit . If it needs a new DPS unit it'll stay at Freedom and we will be just coming up to Lake George to relax in our car.

Freedom is one of our home dealers so they can also fight with Zurich ( our extended warranty) for coverage of the work.
Extremely disappointed.sure hope someone chimes in here with more tech knowledge than I have. it disappoints me that our sponsoring dealer cannot do something! :opps:

retired1
09-08-2014, 07:22 PM
I am not suggesting this to anyone, but years ago several owners put many miles on their :spyder2: without their DPS working. At the time, the dealer had to send one in, before he could get one back. Several owners rode theirs until it was their turn to get it replaced.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-08-2014, 07:57 PM
I am not suggesting this to anyone, but years ago several owners put many miles on their :spyder2: without their DPS working. At the time, the dealer had to send one in, before he could get one back. Several owners rode theirs until it was their turn to get it replaced.
That gives me a thought! Maybe I should disable mine by pulling the fuse. Might be safer than having it kick and out on heavy turns. DPS should be replaced by the end of the week.

otter28169
09-08-2014, 08:06 PM

Extremely disappointed.

sure hope someone chimes in here with more tech knowledge than I have. it disappoints me that our sponsoring dealer cannot do something! :opps:

I could chime in and say a few things, but I will wait until after the rally. This is Bull:cus:.

Just sayin'............

ARtraveler
09-08-2014, 09:39 PM
It is dealers like some mentioned here that don't give a care about customer service, that give the product a bad name. Many get the chance to be hero and just don't go out of their way for the customer anymore. Looks like they thrive on negative advertising instead. Even some good ones lately.

Big Arm
09-08-2014, 10:11 PM

:agree: Go for it..........

kawakii
09-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Spyder will be staying behind. I don't have the arm strength to wrestle with it without power steering unfortunately.

kawakii
09-10-2014, 10:41 PM
We have arrived at SpyderQuest :) staying at GEL - got here around 6:00 after enjoying ourselves on the way up stopping for lunch, and going to Albany for an Indian Motorcycles demo day. Jake wanted to demo the Indian Scout ..... And I'm very excited to say that he loved it and he will be purchasing one in NH next weekend. He is going to preorder a 2015 so he can get the free five year manufacturers warranty. He will be selling his Harley Nightster 1200. I'm so excited for him !

We checked in for SpyderQuest and it was so great seeing so many Spyders, old friends and some new :) I'm jealous of everyone riding but so far I've had a great time exploring and spending time with Jake !

No news on my Spyder yet but we have decided to start the search for a new bike for me that I can ride with my capabilities ( wheelchair, paraplegic). We are looking at the Harley Trike, slingshot, and considering some bigger bagged bikes I can be the passenger on with Jake that can also carry my chair. We think we will keep one more season until my 5 year warranty is up and move on. Maybe Can Am will impress me with the F3 or maybe a update on the ST in 2016.

Can't wait to see everyone at opening ceremony tomorrow night ! I won't be singing - not enough alcohol in NY to make that happen ..lol !

kawakii
09-14-2014, 09:09 PM
UPDATE:

I just wanted to take a minute and write a few Thank you. First Thank you to all the organizers of SpyderQuest. A big thank you to Randy who made us feel extremely welcome.

While we were there we enjoyed seeing everyone and it was wonderful.

The biggest thanks goes to Pierre and SpyderTV who made our Friday :) BRP should be extremely thankful for the work you do. If you ever in NH and want a place to stay, or to see my bike with the wheelchair rack - door is ALWAYS open to you.

Our Spyder is still in the shop with DPS issue and will be until we hear differently.

Now for the bad news an explanation ...missed Sat/Sunday events:

On Friday evening around 8:00 pm we got a phone call from our dog boarder - our two dogs had run away from her home. We decided due to the fact that no one could find them we needed to leave for home immediately - so we left at 10:00pm driving non stop until we reach NH at 2:45 am. We after an hour of searching found our dog Cooper ( beagle) but as of tonight we still have not found our 11lb Chihuahua/ mini grey hound mix who is just a year old. She has been missing for over 48 hours. We have searched, contact local pd and fire, put up 500 flyers, alerted microchip company, had 20-30 people doing wood searches, posted to craigslist, and contact granite State Dog recovery who have also been helping in the efforts. It is a very rural wooded area - large watershed so we are hoping she finds her way back to the boarder.

We have slept very little and are extremely worried. It has been a horrendous few days.

I'm sorry we didn't get to say goodbye to our friends and hosts of SpyderQuest in person. We wished that we didn't have to go but our dogs are our kids... And my EMS animals. We needed to find them.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us.

spyder3
09-14-2014, 09:16 PM
wow, thats awful.......Praying you find the little dog.....:pray:

kawakii
09-15-2014, 09:05 PM
wow, thats awful.......Praying you find the little dog.....:pray:

Thank you. Still not found but we aren't giving up hope. Local news ran a story and radio stations. Amazing what good friends we have and how many good people have been helping.

SpyderAnn01
09-15-2014, 09:41 PM
I hope Bella finds her way home.