PDA

View Full Version : BRP isn't always the evil, uncaring corporation...

flaggerphil
09-07-2014, 02:36 PM
At least not with me.

The XM radio on my RT-AC went out less than a year after it was installed. I didn't get around to going to the dealer with it for over a year after that. When I did it was just to see if they could find out what the problem was...hoping it was fixable.

Well, it wasn't; it was a bad module. (Interestingly, we also had a bad XM module in my wife's Lexus RX-350. I think SiriusXM needs to check on their module contractors...).

Anyway, it was well out of warranty and wasn't fixable at all. My dealer said they'd go to BRP and see if they would replace it for free. They didn't think they would, but if they could replace it at my cost did I want to put a new one in? I told the dealer to see what BRP said and, if they wouldn't replace it for free, I'd just do without. It was an expensive fix and it was my fault I'd waited so long.

Then, more than a month later, I got a call from the dealer saying BRP was replacing the module at no cost to me...including labor. I took the bike in, the dealer replaced the module, and all is good in the XM world.

This is not the first time my dealer and BRP has done right by me. I doubt it will be the last.

BTW, my dealer is Central Florida Power Sports in Kissimmee. They are the best motorcycle dealer I've ever worked with...period.

ARtraveler
09-07-2014, 02:54 PM
We mostly hear the stories with bad endings.

It is good to hear the situations where BRP and the dealers step up to the plate and solve issues. :yes:

BikerDoc
09-07-2014, 02:56 PM
At least not with me.

The XM radio on my RT-AC went out less than a year after it was installed. I didn't get around to going to the dealer with it for over a year after that. When I did it was just to see if they could find out what the problem was...hoping it was fixable.

Well, it wasn't; it was a bad module. (Interestingly, we also had a bad XM module in my wife's Lexus RX-350. I think SiriusXM needs to check on their module contractors...).

Anyway, it was well out of warranty and wasn't fixable at all. My dealer said they'd go to BRP and see if they would replace it for free. They didn't think they would, but if they could replace it at my cost did I want to put a new one in? I told the dealer to see what BRP said and, if they wouldn't replace it for free, I'd just do without. It was an expensive fix and it was my fault I'd waited so long.

Then, more than a month later, I got a call from the dealer saying BRP was replacing the module at no cost to me...including labor. I took the bike in, the dealer replaced the module, and all is good in the XM world.

This is not the first time my dealer and BRP has done right by me. I doubt it will be the last.

BTW, my dealer is Central Florida Power Sports in Kissimmee. They are the best motorcycle dealer I've ever worked with...period. Phil , thanks for taking the time to post the positive.. too many folks have only a negative word for any thread they have ever met

Dan McNally
09-07-2014, 03:20 PM
I've never thought they were evil or uncaring. But they are a business, and in business to make a profit, not to give stuff away. I suspect they care about their customers as much as any company does, more than some, less than others . . . but they have an obligation to their stockholders to turn a profit. We should be wishing them success, since, if they ever folded, Spyder parts would be hard to find!

Chupaca
09-07-2014, 03:26 PM
but they do need to adress all the problems equally. Big and small as long as legal issues are not involved. Once they get to tat point things get difficult..:thumbup:

Magdave
09-07-2014, 03:32 PM
CFPS has always been mentioned as one of the best dealers around. That goes a long way to making a difference.

ChasCS
09-07-2014, 03:35 PM
That was easy... As it should be. Why'd you wait so long to have it replaced?

Really happy to know there is good out there, especially coming from a company, we all rely on so much.

Hey way to go BRP, 'twas awesome done.

Chas

Purple Guy
09-07-2014, 03:43 PM
It's great to hear you give credit where credit is due! :clap:
All to often we hear about the "Evil Empire" that is BRP. Not to many people will take the time to post the positive experience they have had with BRP doing right by them. :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
09-08-2014, 06:47 AM
:congrats: They've stepped up, and helped me out as well... :2thumbs:

billrob71
09-08-2014, 09:22 AM
:congrats: They've stepped up, and helped me out as well... :2thumbs:

I have no complaints either , they do seem to help out

Jim&Teresa
09-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the positive news on BRP warranty coverage for you! :thumbup: I have had a mixed bag with them on two Spyders. Only had two minor issues over the years with my Spyders in regard to warranty....1 was covered by warranty and the other (recently) denied.

BRP is a business and makes decisions that way......sometimes I'm happy about it, sometimes I'm not! LOL

I think they designed an AWESOME machine with the 2014 RT - it's been a great bike with just under 10K trouble free miles on it. :D:D:D

flaggerphil
09-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Just to let people know, there were other problems I had with my Spyder early on:

Ignition wiring under the seat was corroded and the system had to be entirely replaced. Done at no cost to me.

The airbag rear suspension developed a leak. Replaced at no cost to me.

Twice the stitching on my seat started coming unraveled. Replaced at no cost to me both times, and the third seat has had no problems.

The parking brake cable tangled up and the parking brake would not work. It was MY FAULT that it happened. It was repaired at no cost to me.

The Spyder was never in the shop for more than a couple of days with any of these problems, with the exception of the wiring, which took 5 days. I have to admit at one point I was beginning to think, "What the hell is going on here?" about the problems because they all occurred about a year after I got the bike and within a few months of each other. However, CFPS and BRP jumped on the problems and fixed them so quickly that I really couldn't complain and in the following two years I've had no other problems what so ever. The RT runs like a top.

Anyway, I've been very happy with the way BRP and CFPS have responded to me whenever something has come up. Did I have problems? Yes. Were they serious? They COULD have been, but BRP and CFPS made sure they weren't. They've made sure I've stayed a happy camper.

That's my story.

MikeinGA
09-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Just to let people know, there were other problems I had with my Spyder early on:

Ignition wiring under the seat was corroded and the system had to be entirely replaced. Done at no cost to me.

The airbag rear suspension developed a leak. Replaced at no cost to me.

Twice the stitching on my seat started coming unraveled. Replaced at no cost to me both times, and the third seat has had no problems.

The parking brake cable tangled up and the parking brake would not work. It was MY FAULT that it happened. It was repaired at no cost to me.

The Spyder was never in the shop for more than a couple of days with any of these problems, with the exception of the wiring, which took 5 days. I have to admit at one point I was beginning to think, "What the hell is going on here?" about the problems because they all occurred about a year after I got the bike and within a few months of each other. However, CFPS and BRP jumped on the problems and fixed them so quickly that I really couldn't complain and in the following two years I've had no other problems what so ever. The RT runs like a top.

Anyway, I've been very happy with the way BRP and CFPS have responded to me whenever something has come up. Did I have problems? Yes. Were they serious? They COULD have been, but BRP and CFPS made sure they weren't. They've made sure I've stayed a happy camper.

That's my story.

I hope you have the extanded warannty, sounds like you'll need it. I would have payed for the parking bake cable, if I was my fault.

Mike

Bob Denman
09-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Phil,
It sounds as if you've got the right dealership on your side too! :clap: :2thumbs:

flaggerphil
09-10-2014, 02:33 AM
I hope you have the extanded warannty, sounds like you'll need it. I would have payed for the parking bake cable, if I was my fault.

Mike

Well, it's been two years and thousands of miles since those problems and I haven't had a single one since.

I was going to pay for the cable but the dealer said they'd do it. I wasn't going to fight them about it...

:)

flaggerphil
09-10-2014, 02:34 AM
Phil,
It sounds as if you've got the right dealership on your side too! :clap: :2thumbs:

Indeed. I actually fired my first dealer and went to this one. Made all the difference in the world.