PDA

View Full Version : Don Tilley, Owner Of Tilley Harley-Davidson, Killed In Motorcycle Accident

ChasCS
09-07-2014, 02:51 AM
It's incomprehensible...
Really saddened in learning of these tragic losses to the world of motorcycles enthusiasts...

It is with deepest regret that I have to announce that Don and Robinette Tilley, the long time owners of Tilley Harley-Davidson of Salisbury, North Carolina were involved in a motorcycle accident yesterday Friday August 29, 2014. Don Tilley was killed and his wife Robinette is currently in critical condition.
Don and Robinette Tilley started their dealership in 1972 in their hometown of Statesville, NC. In 1999 they opened a satellite store in Salisbury, NC then in 2006 in the same city a large 50,000 sq. ft Harley dealership. Don Tilley H-D has sponsored many types of Harley® motorcycle racing programs, his teams winning a total of nine national championships. At the age of 78, Don continued to work every day at his dealership. My thoughts and condolences to all his family and prayers for his wife for a rapid recovery.

What is going on out there? With all these popular mc folks dying on the roadways!! Very sad.

Chas

Plyrod38
09-07-2014, 05:53 AM
It is truly sad,
The wife and I stopped by both the Statesville and Salisbury dealerships yesterday to offer condolences to Don's family and employees. They still seem to be in shock.

mtdoragary
09-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Rossmeyer died a few years back on HIS way to Sturgis. he was last in line passing a pickup truck and the truck turned left.

ChasCS
09-07-2014, 11:54 AM
I enjoyed reading more about the man.

Don Tilley Killed in Crash
KEVIN CAMERON AUGUST 31, 2014

Don Tilley, extraordinary builder and tuner of racing Harley-Davidsons and long-time Statesville, North Carolina, Harley dealer, was killed Friday in a single-bike accident on the Blue Ridge Parkway. His wife Robinette, with him on the bike, was seriously injured.

Tilley’s understanding of engines was profound yet based on ordinary common sense.

“Young fellas love those big dyno numbers,” he once told me. “But it’s plain for all to see that what gets you to the next corner is averaged horsepower across the rpm range you’re actually usin’. We won a lot o’ races by ignorin’ the big numbers.”

With Dick O’Brien (long-serving head of Harley racing) Don developed the performance of the Battle of the Twins racer “Lucifer’s Hammer,” their finest hour coming when that bike posted a higher top speed than Harley’s cost-no-object factory Superbike, the VR1000.

Tilley got his start in high performance by hanging out with rum-runners.

“I’d say that’s the most fun I’ve ever had in my life—hangin’ out with ’em, ridin’ with ’em. I asked ’em, ‘How come you always run wide open? Wouldn’t you stand less chance of bein’ stopped if you run slow?’”

The answer came back, “Them revenuers set up in the woods. We come by about a hundred mile an hour, that way we got that much of a head start on ’em.”

He got into stock car racing, as well.

“I was there at the beginning, in 1948. I’d washed this mechanic’s car and he let me get in his trunk to get into the race track.”

Soon he was driving a race car on weekends and building engines all week. His knowledge grew with everything he built.

Don applied himself to business as effectively as he did to racing, operating multiple successful dealerships.

When I think of Tilley, I remember all that he taught me. He was a man I instinctively called ‘sir’ because his dignity and courtesy were those of a 19th century farm-country granddad and head of family.

Chas

ChasCS
09-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Rossmeyer died a few years back on HIS way to Sturgis. he was last in line passing a pickup truck and the truck turned left.

His shop thrives...
http://www.brucerossmeyer.com

Chas

ChasCS
09-07-2014, 12:32 PM
This really is sad...

Statesville mourns dealership owner who died in crash

Diana Rugg, WCNC 11:34 p.m. EDT August 31, 2014

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Friends and customers are mourning the owner of two Harley-Davidson dealerships in Statesville and Salisbury, who died in a motorcycle accident on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Don Tilley, owner of Tilley Harley-Davidson, died Friday while riding back from a dealership awards banquet in Nashville with his wife, Robinette, and friends.

Robinette Tilley was critically injured in the wreck, said the couple's son, Derek Tilley. Robinette was riding on the back of her husband's motorcycle.

Derek Tilley said his mother already had surgeries for a compound fracture in her arm, and for her pelvis. Her next surgery, Monday, will be on her neck. The family is concerned she may suffer paralysis.

"We would like everybody's prayers that she would come through that without any kind of paralyzation (sic)," said Derek.

Sunday, customers paid their respects at Tilley's dealership. Black bows hung from the doors, and flowers laid against the windows outside. A book for condolences laid on a table inside surrounded by flowers and framed wedding photo of the couple.

Ben Stockner remembered buying his motorcycle from Tilley last year.

"I remember whenever I come up here to get this bike, he put the first 8 miles on it and said he wanted it," said Stockner, "but I bought it before it went to him."

Those little touches made all of Tilley's customers feel special, said another customer, Chuck Bralley.

"He tries to be really personable with his customers, always has," said Bralley, "and we hate we lost him."

Another customer laid a flower at the door an hour after the dealership had closed, and shared the front of the local paper. "Superman rode a Harley," it said.

Derek Tilley shared that his father had been racing motorcycles and stock cars for more than 50 years, and even worked on Richard Petty's pit crew when he was young. His love for motorcycle racing grew into successful dealerships in Statesville and Salisbury.

He made a lot of friends and drew a lot of customers along the way.

"You know he loved The Lord from the way he treated other people," said Derek, "and the way he interacted with people."

While Tilley's children gather at Mission Hospital in Asheville to be close to their mother, they are buoyed by the outpouring of condolences and prayers from friends on social media and elsewhere.

"God speed, @don_tilley," said Kyle Petty on twitter. "Don taught me how to ride long distance, love Harleys & most importantly how to be a friend."

One of Tilley's favorite charities, Victory Junction, posted their condolences on Facebook. "We are heart broken after the news of our long time friend and supporter Don Tilley's passing," the post read. It was accompanied by a picture of Tilley with Kyle Petty, and referenced the annual cross-country charity motorcycle ride that raised money for the Victory Junction Gang camp, a camp for children with terminal illnesses.

"My family is so blessed," said Derek. "I look at all the people who loved my dad and all they people showing their support to us -- it's overwhelming sometimes."

The family is hold a memorial service for Don Tilley on Sunday, September 7, at Statesville Sr. High School, at 6 p.m. Anyone interested in riding to the service together on their motorcycles can meet at Tilley Harley-Davidson at 5 p.m.

The dealership will also host a memorial motorcycle ride on Saturday, September 20, to raise money for Victory Junction Gang. The ride will be part of the annual Biker, Blues, and BBQ festival to benefit the Salisbury VA Hospice Center. You can sign up for the ride here: bit.ly/1owJbp3

The family asks that in lieu of flowers, to make donations to Victory Junction Gang Camp in Don Tilley's memory. Donations can be sent to Victory Junction Gang, 4500 Adam's Way, Randalman, NC 27317.

Chas

otter28169
09-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Very sad to here of this man's passing and his wife's injuries. My prayers go out to his family and friends. While I do not know him personally, I do know something that might comfort those who've lost him: If, at 78 years of age, I have a motorcycle accident and pass, at least I did not die in a nursing home and I know I got the most out of my "golden years". Again, it is sad to hear of his passing, but it is awesome to know that he never stopped riding.

Just sayin'............

bruiser
09-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Saw this on the news the day it happened. Have been to his Statesville shop. He and Ray Price (Ray Price Harley Davidson), two of Harley's top speed drivers.

ARtraveler
09-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear of the accident. :pray: