PDA

View Full Version : Not just Spyders that catch fire

oldgoat
09-06-2014, 04:04 PM
"Honda Motor Co. is recalling 126,000 motorcycles for a second time because their brakes can malfunction.
The recall covers Honda's GL-1800 motorcycles for model years 2001-2010 and 2012. A problem with the secondary brake master cylinder can cause the rear brake to drag, potentially leading to a crash or fire.
Honda had received 533 complaints through July 24, including reports of eight small fires. There have been no reports of crashes or injuries as a result of the problem.
Honda originally recalled the motorcycles in December 2011 but continued to receive complaints. It says in documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the "root cause has not been determined" and it is continuing to investigate.
Honda will send a letter to each motorcycle owner explaining how to look for the problem. Motorcycles with the defect can be taken to the dealer for inspection. Owners will get a second letter when repairs and replacement parts are available."

13 years & they still haven't solved the problem.

Magdave
09-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Really do not care I do not own one:dontknow:. My concern is my own $30k investment. Cars planes and trains catch fire too. :thumbup:

DrewNJ
09-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Really do not care I do not own one:dontknow:. My concern is my own $30k investment. Cars planes and trains catch fire too. [emoji106]
Your not at all bitter are you?....

Pirate looks at --
09-06-2014, 04:49 PM
He only cares about himself!

Pennyrick
09-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Really do not care I do not own one:dontknow:. My concern is my own $30k investment. Cars planes and trains catch fire too. :thumbup:

No Hondempathy here.

Bob Denman
09-06-2014, 05:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvnTwqePSpM

Yup! We might complain a lot; but we're not alone... :opps:

Magdave
09-06-2014, 07:20 PM
He only cares about himself!
Wrong I only care about my fellow Spyder owners and the denial of dealerships and BRP as to the problems that exist. Let the Honda owners deal with their issues. I came from a GW and had zero issues with it by the way. Never had my garage fill with gas fumes from it.

Cal777
09-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Wrong I only care about my fellow Spyder owners and the denial of dealerships and BRP as to the problems that exist. Let the Honda owners deal with their issues. I came form a GW and had zero issues with it by the way. Never had my garage fill with gas fumes from it.

If you were that pleased with the Goldwing, why did you buy a Spyder?

Chupaca
09-06-2014, 07:30 PM
many many vehicles through time have had issues with fire, heat and explosions..but if it's not a spyder you will get no sympathy here it seems. I do feel bad for fellow ryders who have had problems and understand why they feel they are the only ones. I feel the problems will be solved but undoubtedly to late for many. I also feel bad for all the wing riders (I was one) having to go through their recall and the BMW riders stuck in the buy backs...:dontknow:

Magdave
09-06-2014, 08:17 PM
If you were that pleased with the Goldwing, why did you buy a Spyder?

Because I drank the Kool-Aid about the new improved 2013 suspension and brakes and how it was the best Spyder yet.:banghead: Like a lot of us we are not boy racers anymore our legs and backs are giving out and I wanted a good safe reliable ride. Did I get one?

Pirate looks at --
09-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Because I drank the Kool-Aid about the new improved 2013 suspension and brakes and how it was the best Spyder yet.:banghead: Like a lot of us we are not boy racers anymore our legs and backs are giving out and I wanted a good safe reliable ride. Did I get one?

I sure did:thumbup:. Couldn't imagine anything better:yes: You can always sell the Spyder, you seem to be so miserable, sell it and buy a 14! I think you might ba a lot happier.

greybeard
09-06-2014, 09:33 PM
He needs to sell it and buy a Buick. Never had gas fumes in my garage and love my 2013

ARtraveler
09-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Just goes to show that Spyder is not the only brand that has issues.

Quote: Magdave: "Because I drank the Kool-Aid about the new improved 2013 suspension and brakes and how it was the best Spyder yet.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif Like a lot of us we are not boy racers anymore our legs and backs are giving out and I wanted a good safe reliable ride. Did I get one? "

I do relate to Dave's problems, sorry for your issues. Were they mine, I would have got rid of the 13. Loss or not. To be miserable on a continuous basis is not a good thing.

By February of 2013 the handwriting was starting to show up on the wall about the 2013's. I mentioned it early on and was almost booooed off the site. A month later, my naysayers were mostly in agreement. I was going to buy a 2013, but did not.

Magdave
09-06-2014, 11:41 PM
I sure did:thumbup:. Couldn't imagine anything better:yes: You can always sell the Spyder, you seem to be so miserable, sell it and buy a 14! I think you might ba a lot happier.
It is NOT about misery it is about safety and a company being responsible to it's customers. I am not miserable just disappointed and will deal with it in my own way. Selling it is not an option since BRP ruined the resale value. I did due diligence before buying a Spyder and checked resale values they were pretty good. Not so much for a 2013.

SubDriver
09-07-2014, 02:42 AM
It is NOT about misery it is about safety and a company being responsible to it's customers. I am not miserable just disappointed and will deal with it in my own way. Selling it is not an option since BRP ruined the resale value. I did due diligence before buying a Spyder and checked resale values they were pretty good. Not so much for a 2013.
Sir, you make me want to walk in front of a big truck. Make a decision and move on...one way or the other. A lot of us have. I only had 1 problem 1 time with my 13 but saw the trade value was surely going to drop. Did I take it in the shrorts? Yep, but I'm happy. I don't sit around and moan and groan. Me and my girl just ride and smile...a bunch!!!!

bscrive
09-07-2014, 07:39 AM
I am glad that so many people on here have the money to take a huge hit trading their 2013 on a 2014 but maybe Dave doesn't. Has anyone thought about that? I agree with Dave. Why should he have to take a huge hit financially to make up for BRP's mistake. I am sure that he would trade his for a 2014 if BRP gave him a great trade in deal, but they won't.

Netminder
09-07-2014, 07:49 AM
I am glad that so many people on here have the money to take a huge hit trading their 2013 on a 2014 but maybe Dave doesn't. Has anyone thought about that? I agree with Dave. Why should he have to take a huge hit financially to make up for BRP's mistake. I am sure that he would trade his for a 2014 if BRP gave him a great trade in deal, but they won't.
:agree:

Magdave
09-07-2014, 08:25 AM

:clap::firstplace:

bscrive
09-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Here is another idea. All you riders out there that think Dave should trade his 2013 for a 2014 why don't you send Dave a cheque towards an upgrade. He ONLY needs about $15000. Come on, it's just peanuts to you guys. Or maybe yet, all you guys with 2013's that have no problems. Why don't you trade with Dave. I am sure he would be willing. I bet you wouldn't.:lecturef_smilie:

Jeriatric
09-07-2014, 09:35 AM

:agree:

:clap::firstplace:

:thumbup:

jcthorne
09-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Here is another idea. All you riders out there that think Dave should trade his 2013 for a 2014 why don't you send Dave a cheque towards an upgrade. He ONLY needs about $15000. Come on, it's just peanuts to you guys. Or maybe yet, all you guys with 2013's that have no problems. Why don't you trade with Dave. I am sure he would be willing. I bet you wouldn't.:lecturef_smilie:

Despite the denials. there are no 2013s without issues. Trading will not help. They need to be fixed or bought back by BRP. I am in 100% agreement with MagDave.

We have 2 2013s and are mostly happy with them AFTER LOTS OF WORK but know there are still underlying issues that could be drasticly improved by BRP. Replacement panels like they are doing for the STs would help a bunch for air flow. Get rid of the heat, the gas fumes will go with it. Once those items are cured, the 2013s are GREAT bikes!

I too will stick it out hoping BRP will eventually fix. With the upgrades we have done, they are much improved and certainly not worth taking a $30,000 loss to upgrade. But I and every other 13 owner has every right to complain and keep pushing until BRP does what is right.

QUIT TELLING US TO TAKE IT IN THE SHORTS AND UPGRADE to a 14!

KX5062
09-07-2014, 11:10 AM

That is a beyond silly suggestion. Members picking on other members is NOT cool. If you have a 2013 with problems, you have my deepest sympathy, but saying nasty things to other Spyder riders because they don't or are happy with their 2014 ACE is NOT productive. :lecturef_smilie:

Did BRP screw-the-pooch? Yeah, probably.

Should they do something about it? Yep.

Should they buy them back at full purchase price? No. That is not realistic and will never happen, and if you believe that's what they should do; then you'd better change your expectations or you'll be disappointed and bitter.

Should BRP wait until the feds forces a recall? No. They should recognize the problem, quietly acknowledge it and fix it. (I say quietly, because of trial lawyers and their get-rich-quick mentality.) However, if BRP does force a recall, then they certainly are not the only company to do it. It is extremely common in the industry, and that's why there is a governmental recall process in the first place.

I've owned both cars and motorcycles that have been recalled, and not once did that sour me on the product. However, I have owned lemons that did sour me on the product, but not once did I take it out on an owner who was satisfied with their vehicle. So, why are we doing that on this forum?

Part of 'the problem' is not all 2013 RT's seem to have the excessive heat issue(s), so tracking down the problem(s) may be harder that we think. However, lashing out at each other here is not going to solve anything and only drive away people who could be very valuable members to our community. :read:

ARtraveler
09-07-2014, 02:49 PM
This post from another thread where we have been discussing the same issue:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Magdave http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=870087#post870087) I have followed every complaint on the 2014 and there have been plenty of problems I only mentioned a few. A whole spectrum of little things beside the leaks and engine replacements. Just as in the past every change has had some growing pains. The 14 may be a better mousetrap but they are far from perfect and I agree BRP is being proactive on getting them fixed unlike the 2013. I am not totally unhappy nor am I totally happy with mine it is what it is. Under 85deg it seems fine better under 80 deg. I am concerned about the lack of effort to come up with a real fix for it really would not take that much money for BRP just effort I have even given them several doable solutions. When the word came out (unofficially) that additional fixes were coming from BRP (their reps said so) I was hopeful. Fall is here and not a peep. The ST fix is not even official you have to beg them for the panels. All of it gives me a bad taste and I cannot afford to take the loss I would to dump it so I (and many others) are stuck. We shall see what NHTSA comes up with shortly. You happen to be somewhere that would allow you to enjoy them more. I haven't had a day below 90deg for almost 3 months. How much riding do you think I am getting? I refuse to get anymore radical fixing what I consider to be a design defect until I am sure BRP will do nothing. The 2013 frame is the same as the 2014 and was not designed to have a 998 in it plain and simple. It was supposed to have the 1330 but it still was not ready for prime time. Dealers denying any issues and incompetent service depts. do not help. BRP telling me to take it to a dealer that knows less about it than I do when I call them asking a tech question does not work. When the dealer asks me does it have a carb or is it fuel injected I get very suspicious :yikes: All I want is a reliable safe riding experience instead of wondering what will melt next. When 2014 owners say there are no issues with them they have not read the forum enough there have been a lot of little ones and a few big ones. Just the truth. Sorry if it hurts.:dontknow:"

You make many valid points Dave, and I can't fault you for that. The 13 Saga is not good for anyone involved.

My button was pushed a bit when I see a rant at every chance in pretty much any thread.

I truly hope you can get things worked out and either get the issues solved or find a Spyder that works for you. It does appear that the new side panels are not taking a lot of effort to obtain. Have you worked with BRPCare or are you trying to get the issue solved through a dealer?

I have stuck my neck out three of five times with first year/new and been very lucky. It helps to have a pretty good dealer though. I do believe that everyone on the site does want to see your issues solved.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Part of 'the problem' is not all 2013 RT's seem to have the excessive heat issue(s), so tracking down the problem(s) may be harder that we think.
:agree: That thought has gone through my mind as well. Other than the current DPS problem my 2013 RT has run great for over 7000 miles. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?71180-My-positive-experience-w-my-2013-RT As far as the heat issue see my comments here. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69303-My-upper-heat-block-mod. As has been mentioned why do some bikes have a serious heat problem, and others like mine, do not. That really does complicate the search for the root cause. I really don't think that I am greatly more tolerant of heat problems than folks like Magdave, but I suppose I might be some more tolerant, but I don't like to think so.

Dragonrider
09-07-2014, 06:32 PM
I don't think it's a single problem, and I still believe the ethanol in our gas is a serious contributor. That being said, the most significant thing that BRP can't touch is the fuel mapping/timing, because that affects the emissions. We can fool around with it (in most states), they can not. Perhaps retrofitting another fan (like they did in the Commander) would help, but I can't believe deleting the CAT and adding a fuel mapper wouldn't take care of most of the problems. Using non-ETOH gas couldn't hurt either.

Should an owner HAVE to do this? No, of course not -but if it's an emissions issue (just like the excessive heat Harley had before the "Twin Cooled" motor) - don't look for a real fix anytime soon.

Magdave
09-07-2014, 11:10 PM
I don't think it's a single problem, and I still believe the ethanol in our gas is a serious contributor. That being said, the most significant thing that BRP can't touch is the fuel mapping/timing, because that affects the emissions. We can fool around with it (in most states), they can not. Perhaps retrofitting another fan (like they did in the Commander) would help, but I can't believe deleting the CAT and adding a fuel mapper wouldn't take care of most of the problems. Using non-ETOH gas couldn't hurt either.

Should an owner HAVE to do this? No, of course not -but if it's an emissions issue (just like the excessive heat Harley had before the "Twin Cooled" motor) - don't look for a real fix anytime soon.

In reality it IS an emission issue. You can't buy a gas can for your mower anymore that allows gas fumes to vent to atmosphere yet our Spyders can. The EVAP system simply does not work as it should on the 2013 (and some earlier) models. Anyone who has to leave the garage door open until the gas tank stops boiling fuel off through the canister has a possibly explosive issue. I do not have a tester to check the LEL (lower explosive limit) of the gas smells in my garage but it is very strong after some rides. The EPA made EVAP systems mandatory for motorcycles and that system is supposed be a closed system that recycles the fumes back into the engine just like our cars. Does your car stink up the garage? No that is because the EVAP system is designed properly and doing it's job. I am getting a lot of grief but reality is I am trying to make sure everyone is safe in their homes and on their bikes. Obviously some Spyders have reached the LEL under the Tupperware on the road and then....burn with an ignition source possibly the headers themselves. This is one thing I have to say does not seem to be an issue with 2014's

https://www.mathesongas.com/pdfs/products/Lower-(LEL)-&-Upper-(UEL)-Explosive-Limits-.pdf

kml354
09-08-2014, 11:32 AM
I was lucky to buy my 2013 on the day the 2014 was shown to the world.
Got a got a great price for the spyder, after 9 months and a lot of aggravation got a pretty good deal from the dealer on a trade in for a 2013 Goldwing Trike. I did the ceramic coated header pipes, wrapped the pipes also. Still too hot to enjoy more than 1 hour in the saddle.
Still lost about 2 thousand dollars on the trade.
WORTH EVERY PENNY TO GET RID OF THE WORST BIKE I EVER OWNED. :yes:

robmorg
09-08-2014, 12:50 PM

:agree: too!

MikeinGA
09-08-2014, 08:53 PM
"Honda Motor Co. is recalling 126,000 motorcycles for a second time because their brakes can malfunction.
The recall covers Honda's GL-1800 motorcycles for model years 2001-2010 and 2012. A problem with the secondary brake master cylinder can cause the rear brake to drag, potentially leading to a crash or fire.
Honda had received 533 complaints through July 24, including reports of eight small fires. There have been no reports of crashes or injuries as a result of the problem.
Honda originally recalled the motorcycles in December 2011 but continued to receive complaints. It says in documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the "root cause has not been determined" and it is continuing to investigate.
Honda will send a letter to each motorcycle owner explaining how to look for the problem. Motorcycles with the defect can be taken to the dealer for inspection. Owners will get a second letter when repairs and replacement parts are available."

13 years & they still haven't solved the problem.

A small brake fire, not a big deal! That fire at Maggie Valley at theBRP Canam Owners Event, where the a new Rt burned to the ground that was a BRP 2013 RT for the public to test rides. That the rider had to jump off the RT to avoid being killed. If you would like to see this go to YouTube and keyin "canam fire" or Shearch this forum for "Fire". BRP didn't stop the fire danger, there will be another and maybe some one might DIE!

Mike:mad:

jeromeb
09-10-2014, 11:42 AM
I was involved in the 2011 Honda recall and that is the main reason I ride a spyder. My rear brake locked at highway speed near Ashville causing a big fright and the local dealer could not find fault. Going home rear brake locked going into Atlanta while passing, just tapped front brake only and rear locked. Got the bike home and was riding to dealer for repair and the brake locked again. Tech could not find cause and the recall had not had not been issued. 8 months earlier on a 8000 tour of the west I had a high speed blowout in New Mexico, the tire was new. I traded for a 2011 RT before I left the dealer and took a hit but after 4 major scares I would never feel safe on that bike. I was very happy with the 2011 and traded for a 2011 RTL for even longer trips. Canada and southern Alaska a few weeks ago. I could not afford the initial change to the spyder but I had good credit and my credit union helped ease the pain. I can easily say the 2014 rt is the most enjoyable mc that I have owned in with many years of riding. I totally understand the frustrations.
Jerry

Kratos
09-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Magdave....just curious....in reality, what do you think BRP is going to do for you after a long drawn out fight? Also how long do you intend to go in this fight?.....Years?

I feel for you. You just seem so miserable that I'd hate for you to waste happy good years of your life on this. We're only here for a little while and then we're gone. We got to enjoy what we can.

BTW...these are just questions...I'm in no way against your venting.

Magdave
09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Magdave....just curious....in reality, what do you think BRP is going to do for you after a long drawn out fight? Also how long do you intend to go in this fight?.....Years?

I feel for you. You just seem so miserable that I'd hate for you to waste happy good years of your life on this. We're only here for a little while and then we're gone. We got to enjoy what we can.

BTW...these are just questions...I'm in no way against your venting.

Seriously I do not understand why everyone thinks I am miserable...far from it. I have always fought for what is right ( and am a Viet Veteran) and the 2013 is not right. I ride it when I can and enjoy it but it has serious flaws that BRP should address before moving ahead. They dumped on us and devalued our investments and that is simply wrong. I am not wasting any part of my life and I have gone up against other companies when they were wrong or hurt their customers . I enjoy that challenge. I guess the NHTSA investigation will tell the tale of where this will lead.