PDA

View Full Version : catalytic converter question

P.Black
09-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Question about wrapping the cat. I like the idea of less heat but enjoy the quietness of the exhaust. Was wondering if it would be possible to wrap the exhaust and cat. Only fear is about how hot the cat gets would it just burn the wrap? I see alot of mixed emotions on the idea of deleting the cat mainly being the sound and that is something i don't want to change.

Dragonrider
09-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Deleting the CAT relieves back pressure - makes the exhaust a bit throatier - but not really LOUDer. Relieving the back pressure means that the exhaust gas can escape quicker, making the exhaust cooler.

I woud not consider wrapping the CAT, nor is it really necessary on the 1330, but I suspect removing the CAT on a 1330 would certainly perk it up a bit...

Cruzr Joe
09-02-2014, 10:49 PM
deleting the cat in the morning, will let you know how it sounds and performs

Cruzr Joe

Chupaca
09-03-2014, 12:35 AM
there are video/audios you can search for here and on you tube for the sound change. It is not the loudness but the tone that changes. As mentioned if it's the 1330 ace engine you should not even have the heat problem. Earlier models the removal has helped...:thumbup:

cuznjohn
09-03-2014, 03:03 AM
if you wrap the cat you will destroy it

PW2013STL
09-03-2014, 05:29 AM
Question about wrapping the cat. I like the idea of less heat but enjoy the quietness of the exhaust. Was wondering if it would be possible to wrap the exhaust and cat. Only fear is about how hot the cat gets would it just burn the wrap? I see alot of mixed emotions on the idea of deleting the cat mainly being the sound and that is something i don't want to change.

The sound change is very very small and no one has noticed the difference until I tell them that I deleted the cat. At that point they want to hear the difference :shocked:
As for heat reduction - I can not tell as I had no heat issues before or after.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-03-2014, 08:21 AM
I was very concerned about the sound change also. I have not heard a sound clip that is truly accurate of the change. I posted in another topic that it seemed the tone change got raspy. After installing ours, a Pitbull / Lamonster bypass pipe, on our 14 with a 1330, the tone is not raspy like a sport compact Honda Civic. I suspect the sound clips done in a garage or near a building generate weirdness that records inaccurate sounds.

On the road, under throttle input it is certainly louder. Not offensive. The exhaust note is mid tone, not a shrill, and honestly gets on in the 3200 rpm range and up. However, once the throttle is backed backed down to hold a steady setting or speed, my wife says there is no change.

One person reported his wife noticed a change in the smell. He reported she could tell a difference in the smell of the exhaust fumes while riding. We have never experienced excepting the initial firing and heating of the pipe, and maybe red lights in the first few miles. Possibly it has changed and one day the stop light and wind direction will make it more obvious.

Overall, on the 14, the change has been very positive. The exhaust sound under throttle is good, we do get some popping on deceleration. Throttle fully closed and the tire is pulling the engine through. Some call the burble. Not bad, did it with the cat also, but not as noticed.

FWIW, ours runs a bone stock oem muffler. Make sure you give it time to get the computer to realign itself after install. We did not hook up to BUDS, just rode and noticed very minor changes as the computer analyzed the O2 readings and dialed it in.

All the best.

PK:yes::yes::yes:......Since I consider you to have above average perception ( on many things )......Did you notice any difference in performance after the " CAT " delete ..........Thanks , Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-03-2014, 09:29 AM
:agree: :bbq::bbq::bbq: :thumbup:

PW2013STL
09-03-2014, 10:58 AM
:agree: :bbq::bbq::bbq: :thumbup:

Now you got me hungry so I will have to pop a bag of :popcorn:

For my butt dyno I can not tell a diference in performance.

Bob Denman
09-03-2014, 12:10 PM
:popcorn: popcorn?? :shocked:
:bbq: I'm talking Bratwursts and ribs! :thumbup:

(If I'm gonna wait; my belly is gonna be happy! :D)

oldguyinTX
09-03-2014, 02:56 PM
I wrapped a cat once, and when he got loose he scratched & bit the livin' s**t out of me.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

atitude2
09-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Can the CAT be deleted from the 2012 RTS with the bypass.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Can the CAT be deleted from the 2012 RTS with the bypass.
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:....​I'm pretty sure it can .....but it would be a different PIPE, ....because the exhaust is different .....JMHO......Mikeguyver :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-03-2014, 04:09 PM
A loud machine always seems faster. My seat of the pants says that it does pull harder. No idea of the actual numbers for increase in power, but it does feel stronger. RPM above 3k to say 4.5k typically, the wife says it is stronger also.

Regardless, the machine and payload as a package is heavy so we still are not Repsol Honda Superbike fast.

PK:yes::yes::yes:...........Thanks a bunch.....normally I put little credence in so-called " Bar Stool " BS ........But What you have to say is definately NOT in that category................ .And your correct about the noise thing ......guys put on GLASS PACKS and they will swear up and down they are going a lot faster than prior to......:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:............Mik eguyver :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-03-2014, 05:19 PM
:agree: "Mahogany Ridge" always ends up adding about 20 more horsepower to anything being run... :D

oldguyinTX
09-03-2014, 07:03 PM
:yes::yes::yes:...........Thanks a bunch.....normally I put little credence in so-called " Bar Stool " BS ........But What you have to say is definately NOT in that category................ .And your correct about the noise thing ......guys put on GLASS PACKS and they will swear up and down they are going a lot faster than prior to......:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:............Mik eguyver :thumbup:

Wow, I remember glass packs & cutouts when I was an idiot teenager! Gave the cops fits:roflblack::roflblack: Now I'm an old fart & I give my wife fits! She just puts me in a different kind of jail. But when she lets me out....:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

jaherbst
09-03-2014, 07:33 PM
I have a 2013 RT-S with CAT removed by Pitbull. Slightly more throaty sound but not a big difference (or noticeable) reduction in heat. I still get the smell of gas fumes in town driving but less on road driving. Heat was not a big problem when I removed the CAT. I did it hoping the gas smell would disappear. It did not, but reduced it somewhat

I think the CAT was a good idea but it does not do what most Spyder owners expect. I for one think it is over rated. It might be a good start for reducing heat. I will wrap the header and pipes this winter to see if that helps to eliminate some of the rising heat that flows up and heats the gas tank and fuel. Riding solo @ 65MPH I do get 36MPG. Not bad for a 998.

Jack

DrewNJ
09-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Generally speaking, removing a cat converter does more of moving the powerband up in the rpm range vs increasing overall or peak power.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-03-2014, 11:59 PM
Bob, I was reading the other topic regarding shift points. Noticed most people are shifting at less rpm than I do now. Honestly the machine with the cat installed did prefer to be short shifted. This is where it becomes difficult to say it added power. The cat removed seems to have freed up the motor a bit, resulting in a higher rpm shift point. The higher rpm shift will no doubt be at a higher engine output.

We hit Moes for dinner after watching T ball practice for our older Granddaughter. On the ride back to the house, I asked the wife if the machine was faster or more powerful, her answer tonight, it is not slower.

Really, the answer will lay in some form of measuring the output, a few dyno runs with the converter and a few without. But to be fair the bike needs to adjust to the differences by tuning itself to the O2 readings.

Taking it to the track would work too.

Overall though, it was not inexpensive, it is well made.

PK....Paul ....On our 1330 Ace , the "CAT" is after the o2 sensor ........so how is this tuning thing going to be effected by removing the CAT ..The o2 sensor isn't going to know it's gone ..............or am I missing something ? ? ?.......Mikeguyver :thumbup::thumbup:

ThreeWheels
09-04-2014, 02:10 AM
isn't it illegal to remove the catalytic converter ?

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-04-2014, 07:44 AM
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:....:firstplace:....... This is the highest compliment I can pay on this site ......You are the new " SCOTTY ".......Mikeguyver :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-04-2014, 07:48 AM
:gaah::gaah:....The short answer for us is NO..............Mikeguyver :thumbup::thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Your explanation of how the catalytic converter can affect tuning and power: :clap: :2thumbs:

KX5062
09-04-2014, 09:00 AM

Yes. It is against Federal law (Clean Air Act, as amended in 1990) and illegal in most states. If your state has an inspection law, you will get fanged. If you do not, then it is highly unlikely you will be caught.

KX5062
09-04-2014, 09:02 AM
A loud machine always seems faster. My seat of the pants says that it does pull harder. No idea of the actual numbers for increase in power, but it does feel stronger. RPM above 3k to say 4.5k typically, the wife says it is stronger also.

Regardless, the machine and payload as a package is heavy so we still are not Repsol Honda Superbike fast.

PK

Unless Mark Marquez is the rider. ;)

Bob Denman
09-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Yes. It is against Federal law (Clean Air Act, as amended in 1990) and illegal in most states. If your state has an inspection law, you will get fanged. If you do not, then it is highly unlikely you will be caught.
:agree: Don't get yourself caught... :yikes:

DrewNJ
09-04-2014, 11:14 AM
For me it kinda falls into the same category as pulling the tags off a mattress. ....

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Mike, thanks, but Scotty is Scotty and I am fine with that.

I am fine being me and just want to help if and when possible. Overall...I want to have fun. Sometimes tech stuff is fun when people are into it.

PK:gaah:..... Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were replacing HIM ( not possible ). However He has been busy with other things for about a year now so until He returns etc.etc.............:clap::clap::clap:.....Mikeguy ver :thumbup: