PDA

View Full Version : Traveller's Advice

Roadster Renovations
09-02-2014, 08:04 AM
Getting ready to do a New England trip in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if some of you seasoned travellers could give some tips. I read the post about the hornet spray and that was a gem. Any other stuff I need to know? We plan on riding 300-400 miles a day. I figure to not stay overnight in the big cities and plan on securing the trailer to the bike. Parking right in front on the room. A cover for the bike and trailer to discourage people. The trailer has double lock handles, so that should help. Plan on not leaving any valuables on bike or in trailer.

SPYD3R
09-02-2014, 08:52 AM
if in ESSEX, MA you really need to stop at WOODMAN'S http://www.woodmans.com/ for friend clams... or lobster, or any other kind of fish they have... EXCELLENT...
this is where the 'fried clam' was invented over 100 years ago....
enjoy you ride and post pix upon returning....
Dan P
Easley, SC
SCYD3R

Oldmanzues
09-02-2014, 08:57 AM
I use a cable lock in the two front wheels, AND with a cord to the handle bars to remind me to unlock the cable and remove it efore I try to move.
Disc lock on a ST 1100 and wil not tell the rest of the story.
You might ask if it can parked up front in the lighted area reception area. Still a chance, but the lights might scare a few off. Some rooms are out in the dark area or second floor.
Good luck and have fun
Oldmanzues

PrairieSpyder
09-02-2014, 09:05 AM
It looks like you've got it covered.

Are you going to SpyderQuest? If so, I'll see you there!

Chupaca
09-02-2014, 09:55 AM
but that has never been an issue in my travels. Take your time, hydrate a lot and stretch at gas stops and meal breaks. Walk around a bit. I never make reservations for in between stops that way I have no pressure on time. Most of all enjoy the ryde have fun your destination will be there when you arrive...do carry the odd tool and safety stuff...send pictures..!! :thumbup:

BikerDoc
09-02-2014, 10:21 AM
I use a cable lock in the two front wheels, AND with a cord to the handle bars to remind me to unlock the cable and remove it efore I try to move.
Disc lock on a ST 1100 and wil not tell the rest of the story.
You might ask if it can parked up front in the lighted area reception area. Still a chance, but the lights might scare a few off. Some rooms are out in the dark area or second floor.
Good luck and have fun
Oldmanzues
I have a 12 ft cable lock (got on amazon) that allows me to not only cross the wheels but usually attach it to a light post. might be silly but sure feels secure and it guards the trailer nicely when I want to detach it for serious curve riding wherever I visit

Bob Denman
09-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Relax, and have a GREAT time! :D
About the worst that could happen: if you worred too much about all of the stuff that didn't happen along the way... :shocked:
We'll expect lots of pictures too! :thumbup:

murphybrown
09-02-2014, 10:53 AM
I have great roadside and spyder/trailer insurance. Yes, it is nice to be able to park right by room...but I have discovered in my many 1000 of miles traveled. That by the time I get myself in room after covering Spyder & trailer...that I am exhausted....and fall asleep ... so I say relax and enjoy. Love the small towns....share your trip with us. :clap::yes:

Dragonrider
09-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Most motels allow bikes to park close to the entry, or you can ask for a ground floor room, and park it outside your window.

I always have a can of flat fix, Honda cleaner to clean the bugs off (do not use on the windshield), and a good multi-tool to allow you to perform simple tasks, beyond the basics offered by your tool kit (good knife, scissors, allens, and small sockets). Another must for me (I always have my smart phone and iPad) is the list of dealers and Pure-gas apps.

Have fun!

ruthie
09-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I lock the handle bars with my key. Oh I have a RT Limit

ARtraveler
09-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Previous posters all have good suggestions. Nothing additional that I can add other than have a great trip, be safe, and take a lot of pictures for the memories.