PDA

View Full Version : WINTER BLUES ...

tatt2r
10-04-2008, 09:09 AM
DROVE MY SPYDER IN TO WORK TODAY UNLESS I SEE SNOW IT'S COMES TO WORK WITH ME EVERYDAY.... WHEN I GOT ON IT THIS MORNING OUTSIDE TEMP ON BIKE SAID 47 DEGREES .... WHEN I GOT IT IN MARCH IT SAID 15 DEGREES.... HOPE FOR SNOWLESS WINTER ...

FANG
10-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Tatt2r

If you want to get out of the cold; come on down to FL and ryde with us. 64 this am with a high of 84. Great ryding weather. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/MSN_Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gifYou are always welcome.

tatt2r
10-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Tatt2r

If you want to get out of the cold; come on down to FL and ryde with us. 64 this am with a high of 84. Great ryding weather. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/MSN_Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gifYou are always welcome.

on my way....lol
my kids live in springhill

czdaryle
10-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Tatt2r do you have the orginal windshield..I remember you tried one and didn't like it. If you do doesn't your face freeze. I rode today and it was 50 out and I have the orginal windshield, slider on order, and a full face shield but my neck and chin where frezzing...don't know how you do it and I'm from Buffalo, NY think I could handle it

Star Cruiser
10-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Tatt2r

You are going to start a Spyder Party that is 6 months l-o-n-g <Grin>. Ya see if i ride down to visit in Florida, it will be snowing in Toronto for the "presumed" trip home. I'll have to wait until APRIL. If I visit this winter, I'll look you up. I usually stay around Lakeland for a week or so to break up the winter blahs

dltang
10-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Tatt2r do you have the orginal windshield..I remember you tried one and didn't like it. If you do doesn't your face freeze. I rode today and it was 50 out and I have the orginal windshield, slider on order, and a full face shield but my neck and chin where frezzing...don't know how you do it and I'm from Buffalo, NY think I could handle it

Hey czdaryle,
I hate when my neck is cold riding. I bought a balaclava (sp) with Turtle fur on the neck for $13.00 at my local motorcycle shop. Great investment. Keeps my neck warm and prevents cold air from flowing up in my helmet. I sometimes have to crack my face shield a bit to prevent fogging but it sure makes for a much nicer ride on cold days. Like leaving work at 3:00 am this morning with temps down in the low 30's. Brrrr. I love my spyder though and we are gonna ride!!!

NancysToy
10-04-2008, 09:20 PM
A balaclava certainly helps. I sometimes even wear two, a thin silk or polyester one, and a heavier Nomex one. A fleece, or fleece/nylon neck gaiter is also useful. A turtleneck sweater, or shirt, or a fleece jacket with the neck turned up works, too. Also, many helmets have chin curtains available. Check with your dealer. I bought one for my Scorpion EXO700. Be prepared for more fogging of the shield or your glasses with the chin curtain, but they cut the wind nicely.
-Scotty

FANG
10-04-2008, 10:42 PM
You are going to start a Spyder Party that is 6 months l-o-n-g <Grin>. Ya see if i ride down to visit in Florida, it will be snowing in Toronto for the "presumed" trip home. I'll have to wait until APRIL. If I visit this winter, I'll look you up. I usually stay around Lakeland for a week or so to break up the winter blahs

Come on down. We'll have some great rydes. Can't beat southern hospitality. :yes: :yes::2thumbs: :2thumbs:

effgjamis
10-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Brrrrrrrrrrrr ! it was cold this am ( 68 ) ,,, looking forward to 78...
Oh well that is central Fl.

We are entering the GREAT riding weather so come on down and lets make mickey mad.

czdaryle
10-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Dltang you are too much :) You have to show us pics of you riding in the winter. Yea I never rode before and when I was riding I told myself I should wear my balaclava. I have some for snowmobiling...Just never thought about wearing it while on the spyder tell I was riding in the cold.

Smylinacha
10-05-2008, 09:11 AM
DROVE MY SPYDER IN TO WORK TODAY UNLESS I SEE SNOW IT'S COMES TO WORK WITH ME EVERYDAY.... WHEN I GOT ON IT THIS MORNING OUTSIDE TEMP ON BIKE SAID 47 DEGREES .... WHEN I GOT IT IN MARCH IT SAID 15 DEGREES.... HOPE FOR SNOWLESS WINTER ...

Woke up yesterday for our ride to the Scottish Games. It was cold! So I said to myself that this was probably gonna be my last ride for the season. Once I put on the Gerbing jacket, I was so toasty, I was in la la land! Had to turn it down a bit or I was gonna take a nap and let the :spyder:drive me home on it's own. The heated gear definitely extends the riding season for me!:thumbup:

tatt2r
10-05-2008, 09:17 AM

BRP helmet is awesome also have can am jacket big boots and gauntlets ...the jacket ride pretty high on neck but when it gets really cold i have a ski shop across the street from me i picked up one of those things that you pull over head looks like a turtle neck without the shirt also if i dont want to use full face i have nuraprene mask .... also i think i'm going through MAN-A-POZ i'm always hot .....

BRPjunkie
10-05-2008, 10:57 AM
250 mile round trip in Michigan on Friday with 47 degrees at start and 57 degress on return. Leather chaps, insulated jacket, full helmet all worked fine, but mid weight gloves resulted in rest stop runs to the blow dryer in the bathroom for relief. I don't want to go to electric gear and snow mobile gloves seem bulky, so recommendations on good cold weather hand protection is appreciated.

BeRight
10-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I have the hjc fossil helmet - 1st (I believe) to have a retractable half sun visor inside faceshield. With the nose cover inserted it looks like a jet pilots helmet. Only negative is that the chin area is farther out than most full face helmets that I've had in the past, leaving room for lots of air that you need to block in the winter.

NancysToy
10-05-2008, 11:32 AM
250 mile round trip in Michigan on Friday with 47 degrees at start and 57 degress on return. Leather chaps, insulated jacket, full helmet all worked fine, but mid weight gloves resulted in rest stop runs to the blow dryer in the bathroom for relief. I don't want to go to electric gear and snow mobile gloves seem bulky, so recommendations on good cold weather hand protection is appreciated.
The motorcycle versions of the heavier winter gloves help, and are not as bulky as sled gloves. I use Tourmaster, and my wife has a Kombi pair. Silk liners will add a little more protection inside either those or the mid-weight gloves. They take up no space at all. For $10, highly recommended. With as much wind as your hands get on the Spyder, eventually it will require hand guards, electric gloves, or heated grips. Each has advantages and disadvantages, and it would be difficult to fit handguards to a stock Spyder. I am still as undecided about the best way to heat the hands as I am about a windshield. I suffered a bit myself on just a couple of 40 mile runs Friday in 44 degree weather. On the other hand, the heated grips on my Beemer felt real good last night.
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
10-05-2008, 04:28 PM
I'll try the glove liners and look for a better set of insulated gloves. Won't hear any of us Michigan riders complaining about heat from the engine on the legs and feet until next summer. I kept moving my legs to try to find it.

Roaddog2
10-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Dltang you are too much :) You have to show us pics of you riding in the winter. Yea I never rode before and when I was riding I told myself I should wear my balaclava. I have some for snowmobiling...Just never thought about wearing it while on the spyder tell I was riding in the cold.I thought you ate that stuff:D

dltang
10-05-2008, 09:43 PM
I thought you ate that stuff:D

baklava-yum
balaclava-not so yum

spydeebike
10-06-2008, 08:35 PM
KUDOS TO ALL YOU COLD RIDING SPYDERS, BUT ONCE THE WEATHER DIPS BELOW 60 I GRAB THE CAR KEYS, LOL