PDA

View Full Version : Accident

Vader
09-01-2014, 10:48 AM
On Saturday after a uneventful two houre ride, I was nearly home and had stopped for a car that was backing out of a driveway approxitmaly 20 feet in front of me when I was hit from behind. It was a slow speed impact and I was not thrown. I immediatly shut off the Spyder and climbed off. The driver of the suv that struck me was very concerned as were the homeowners on either side of the road. Police and EMT 's arrived and reports generated. Other than an elevated Blood Pressure, I was fine. The Spyder,well, not so much. The rear fender, fender supports were damaged and prevented the rear tire from rotating. The belt also also appears to be out of adjustment. Thanks to the tow operator, we were able to get the Spyder home. I placed a call to my insurance. Tomorrow I will contact the other drivers insurance.
Its not that I am angry. I am happy to be okay. The Spyder can be fixed or replaced. But with just over 2500 miles,and being I bought it with 1955, I am understandabley annoyed.
Please wear your gear..ATGATT.

ThreeFeet
09-01-2014, 10:57 AM
A little over $2000 for a slow speed rear ending ( she was watching the other traffic) on a 2010 RT-S with CUSTOM paint!!! OUCH!! ATGATT is REALLY good advice. No harm to me but with out my "buick" Spyder for over a month!!! DOUBLE OUCH!!!My dealer did a BEAUTIFUL job!! on the repair.

PMK
09-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Was texting or a cell phone involved?

Glad you are ok, yes Spyders can be repaired or replaced.

Go for the most you can get, even a new machine. Ensure they inspect for a bent frame, often an easy way to total a motorcycle.

PK

robmorg
09-01-2014, 11:06 AM

PKYep, also glad you are OK. Pertinent question about the cell phone, though it doesn't make much difference in one particular case, such as yours. Even so, NOTHING makes me more mad than to see people driving while on a cell phone. Texting is even worse, but Soooo many people do it. It's just crazy! :mad:

Bob Denman
09-01-2014, 11:11 AM
:shocked: I'm sorry to hear that you've joined the club... 94369 (Mine was self-inflicted.)
The fact that you're okay; is really what matters most! :2thumbs:

Vader
09-01-2014, 11:19 AM
The only statement made was he was distracted by his dog in the back seat and was attempting to lower the rear window for the dog..the old "Blame the dog"

Bob Denman
09-01-2014, 11:24 AM
The old,
"When Grandma farts; we beat the dog." defense... :banghead:

PrairieSpyder
09-01-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm glad you're OK. I agree about the phone talk/text issue. Some states have heavier penalties for that. You should look into it.

ChasCS
09-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Now a days in the popular 'sue everybody mentality', I'm glad to hear you are all right.

I wish people would pay better attention to the road ahead, and be way more aware of us...

Get her fixed, and back on the road where it belongs, soon.

Chas

Vader
09-01-2014, 01:55 PM
First off..Thanks all for the kind words.
To address the phone/texting issue. It was odd that the driver asked one of the homeowners to use their phone. Was it an attempt to show he did not have one when in reality he did? And I feel if I were injured I would absolutely have looked into the cell phone/texting issue. But removing that from the equation, having a dog in the car that takes your attention away from driving, in my opinion, is just as bad. And as a dog owner I make that statement based on my own personal habits when my dog is in the vehicle. Namely he is restrainedwith a harness that is tethered to a seatbelt.
More pressing is the hope that the adjuster who comes understand the complex nature of the Spyder as well as the hope that they will not balk at the idea of a certified Spyder repair shop/dealer doing the repairs.

ARtraveler
09-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Glad to hear you got through it without any personal injury. Being hit from behind by an un-attentive driver is a very scary thing these days.

The situation happens more all the time.

Dan McNally
09-01-2014, 02:05 PM
. . .
More pressing is the hope that the adjuster who comes understand the complex nature of the Spyder as well as the hope that they will not balk at the idea of a certified Spyder repair shop/dealer doing the repairs.

Really glad you are OK. Insist on a Spyder Dealership doing the repairs . . . and if they argue, ask them how they expect on non-Spyder shop to do things like connecting to the BUDS system when doing the alignment that is always critical after an accident. Also tell them that you will not sign any release until a qualified Spyder mechanic signs off on all the repairs as being done, properly, if they insist on a non-Spyder certified mechanic.

spydaman60
09-01-2014, 02:06 PM
glad that you are a.o.k!!:2thumbs: spyders can be repaired as said before.:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
09-01-2014, 02:09 PM
New York State allow for the person to pick their own repair shop...
After all; you're not buying a loaf of bread... :shocked:
You're paying for the training and the expertise of the Spyder Technicians.
In ANY event; the vehicle has to be fixed TO YOUR SATISFACTION... nobody else's! :2thumbs:

36 years of doing this for a living...
PM me if you have ANY questions or concerns!!! :thumbup:

Vader
09-01-2014, 02:25 PM
New York State allow for the person to pick their own repair shop...
After all; you're not buying a loaf of bread... :shocked:
You're paying for the training and the expertise of the Spyder Technicians.
In ANY event; the vehicle has to be fixed TO YOUR SATISFACTION... nobody else's! :2thumbs:

36 years of doing this for a living...
PM me if you have ANY questions or concerns!!! :thumbup:

Thanks a ton. I will let you know if I need your expertise. And i will keep this thread alive with posts regarding the process as a way to document things for others.

Bob Denman
09-01-2014, 02:34 PM
PMming you... :thumbup:

zamfield
09-01-2014, 02:38 PM
My concern is when it comes to sell the bike / car that was involved in an accident and was repaired... It's a tough sell even though you can see and prove it was repaired as good as new.
Insurance companies don't reimburse you for this....

Glad you're OK, and yes, the Spyder can be replaced or repaired, but what a bloody inconvenience!!!

Bob Denman
09-01-2014, 02:42 PM
You're referring to "Diminished Value"... :yikes:
And it's a nightmare!
My bike wasn't totalled, even though it needed a new frame...
There are times, when I ALMOST wish that it had been.
But I wouldn't have had the opportunity to transform this 94383

Into this... 94384

robmorg
09-01-2014, 02:53 PM
What did you hit, Bob?

wyliec
09-01-2014, 04:11 PM
What did you hit, Bob?

Bob did one of those steak things; he t-boned a car.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-01-2014, 06:16 PM
On Saturday after a uneventful two houre ride, I was nearly home and had stopped for a car that was backing out of a driveway approxitmaly 20 feet in front of me when I was hit from behind. It was a slow speed impact and I was not thrown. I immediatly shut off the Spyder and climbed off. The driver of the suv that struck me was very concerned as were the homeowners on either side of the road. Police and EMT 's arrived and reports generated. Other than an elevated Blood Pressure, I was fine. The Spyder,well, not so much. The rear fender, fender supports were damaged and prevented the rear tire from rotating. The belt also also appears to be out of adjustment. Thanks to the tow operator, we were able to get the Spyder home. I placed a call to my insurance. Tomorrow I will contact the other drivers insurance.
Its not that I am angry. I am happy to be okay. The Spyder can be fixed or replaced. But with just over 2500 miles,and being I bought it with 1955, I am understandabley annoyed.
Please wear your gear..ATGATT.......Find out if the Police will verify if the the other operator was ...TEXTING ....USING A CELL PHONE ETC...this can all be traced for usage after the fact....................just sayin......Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Bob did one of those steak things; he t-boned a car.
Yup! It was all on me... I wasn't aware just how far around and over my right shoulder, the traffic was coming from. :opps:

Whether or not the other driver was texting, is pretty meaningless. He's already admitted to being distracted by the dog. His insurance insurance company is going to be forced to pay for the damages to the bike. what more does anybody need to prove? That the guy was a chucklehead? Done!

Chupaca
09-01-2014, 06:38 PM
really glad your okay. Glad you were on a roadster as well even if it was damaged. I think the insurance companies now duke it out. It is pretty cut and dry but take it easy a few days get your spyder fixed and get on with it...:thumbup:

SNOOPY
09-01-2014, 07:33 PM
The only statement made was he was distracted by his dog in the back seat and was attempting to lower the rear window for the dog..the old "Blame the dog"

Why is everyone always trying to blame us dogs?? :gaah:

Sheesh...

zamfield
09-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Sheesh...

Mist be that kennel rage... look at your avatar !! LOL!

SpyderAnn01
09-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Glad to hear you are okay and I hope you get it repaired or replaced to your satisfaction.

Rockwall
09-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Glad you are ok. Sorry to hear about the bike. Hopefully the law and insurance will do what they are supposed to do and put you back to where you were before someone hit you.

SNOOPY
09-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Mist be that kennel rage... look at your avatar !! LOL!

Oh, oops....

Oldmanzues
09-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Anything that distracts you from driving should be a no-no. If the truth was known, I suspect a lot of crashes could be cused by dogs not secured with a seat belt. If you are a dog lover, think about the dog flying around in a crash, or has happened a lot here on the interstate, a dog getting loose and getting hit or never found again.
Oldmanzues

SNOOPY
09-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Anything that distracts you from driving should be a no-no. If the truth was known, I suspect a lot of crashes could be cused by dogs not secured with a seat belt. If you are a dog lover, think about the dog flying around in a crash, or has happened a lot here on the interstate, a dog getting loose and getting hit or never found again.
Oldmanzues

Thats why I usually fly my doghouse alone....

cyclelover63
09-01-2014, 11:00 PM

Sheesh...

Cause dogs can't talk..Hasn't anyone told you?...;)

garb55
09-01-2014, 11:20 PM

Sheesh...

Snoopy
My dogs were never a problem in the car or on the bike
Now the KIDS are a different story:yikes:

SNOOPY
09-02-2014, 05:12 AM
Cause dogs can't talk..Hasn't anyone told you?...;)

But we can type!

Haven't you ever put your dog in front of the keyboard? :shocked:

mtdoragary
09-02-2014, 05:28 AM
DITTO! Both of my hits in my cars this year were by texters!

Go for the most you can get, even a new machine. Ensure they inspect for a bent frame, often an easy way to total a motorcycle.

PK

mtdoragary
09-02-2014, 05:29 AM
Oldmanzues

I agree. that's why I always ride behind my master! - Thumper

mtdoragary
09-02-2014, 05:33 AM
I'm glad you're OK. I agree about the phone talk/text issue. Some states have heavier penalties for that. You should look into it.

That's WHY they blame us dogs! But cell phone records don't lie!!!

mindman
09-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Glad to hear you were ok.
+1 for ATTGATT. Dress for the crash, not the ride. You may go many years without a crash and wonder why you're wearing gear but all it takes is one time for a hard lesson learned.

DrewNJ
09-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Glad your alright!
Ive been rear ended on bikes twice now (not the spyder though) and both times I've been stopped when hit. The second time i actually saw it coming and "almost" was able to move up the side of the car in front of me. It's amazing how many bikes are involved in rear end collisions. Almost like people get tunnel vision in a car.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-02-2014, 09:03 AM
If that happened to me i might be in jail for murder

Bob Denman
09-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Perhaps you need a new Tee-Shirt... 94440

Vader
09-02-2014, 01:05 PM
I wentand checked the location where the accident occured finding it was 160feet from where the other driver had turned onto the road we were on. Plenty of distance to see what was in front of him.
I also retrieved a copy of the accident report which was spot on.
I had already contacted my insurance company the day of the accident,and earlier today(with the help of a friend)contacted the company of the other vehicle. We informed them that the Spyder would be at an Authorized Dealership/Repair facility. And about 30 minutes ago a truck and trailer picked it up.
While waiting for the truck, I thought about removing the Battery Tender pigtail and attempted to unlock and raise the seat. Seems the seat is all pushed foward as well.
And so it goes. Thanks again everone for the kind words.

tplayer49
09-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Really glad you are OK. Insist on a Spyder Dealership doing the repairs . . . and if they argue, ask them how they expect on non-Spyder shop to do things like connecting to the BUDS system when doing the alignment that is always critical after an accident. Also tell them that you will not sign any release until a qualified Spyder mechanic signs off on all the repairs as being done, properly, if they insist on a non-Spyder certified mechanic.

Hey... this is great advice. I pasted it in my notes. Hope I never have to use it.... but thankx.

Joe

Bob Denman
09-02-2014, 01:30 PM
V,
thanks for the update! :thumbup:Are you handling this under your collision coverage, and then have them subrogate, or are you letting the other party's insurance take care of it?
If you go directly through the OTHER Company; you won't have to wait for the subrogation process to be completed, before you get back your collision deductible...
(Just a thought...)

Bfromla
09-02-2014, 02:35 PM
To address the phone/texting issue. It was odd that the driver asked one of the homeowners to use their phone. Was it an attempt to show he did not have one when in reality he did? And I feel if I were injured I would absolutely have looked into the cell phone/texting issue. But removing that from the equation, having a dog in the car that takes your attention away from driving, in my opinion, is just as bad. And as a dog owner I make that statement based on my own personal habits when my dog is in the vehicle. Namely he is restrainedwith a harness that is tethered to a seatbelt.

To add new laws are coming out that have texting driving relate to DUI fines and charges each state different but keep in mind

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vader
09-02-2014, 03:58 PM
V,
thanks for the update! :thumbup:Are you handling this under your collision coverage, and then have them subrogate, or are you letting the other party's insurance take care of it?
If you go directly through the OTHER Company; you won't have to wait for the subrogation process to be completed, before you get back your collision deductible...
(Just a thought...)

I have notified my insurance company and informed them I will be filing a claim under the OTHER drivers company, which I began earlier today.
Thanks for the heads up. Believe it or not, when I called my company about an hour after the accident, they said they HAD to inform me that A) I could file under my insurance and B) I can file under the OTHER parties insurance and not have to dish out the initial deductible payment, then wait to recoup that.

So far, so good...

MouthPiece
09-02-2014, 04:35 PM
This is probably late in responding, but if you have a gps with all the necessary set up items for it, remove if you can. Additionally, any mods that you may be able to remove off your spyder, get them now.

Chris

Vader
09-02-2014, 04:46 PM
This is probably late in responding, but if you have a gps with all the necessary set up items for it, remove if you can. Additionally, any mods that you may be able to remove off your spyder, get them now.

Chris

Thanks Chris..with the exception of the Battery Tender Pigtail, I really hadn't owned it long enough to do anything else, lol.

Bob Denman
09-02-2014, 05:05 PM
I have notified my insurance company and informed them I will be filing a claim under the OTHER drivers company, which I began earlier today.
Thanks for the heads up. Believe it or not, when I called my company about an hour after the accident, they said they HAD to inform me that A) I could file under my insurance and B) I can file under the OTHER parties insurance and not have to dish out the initial deductible payment, then wait to recoup that.

So far, so good...
:thumbup: It's good to know that they gave you the choices... :clap:

Vader
09-02-2014, 05:58 PM
:thumbup: It's good to know that they gave you the choices... :clap:

Bob, my wife informed me a few years back a gentleman backed into our car. It was the same then as well. Use our insurance and payout the deductible up front..or file under their insurance (which happens to be the same company as the vehicle that hit my Spyder) and not have to pay a dime.

Bob Denman
09-02-2014, 06:06 PM
The other guys have been in touch with you? :dontknow:
As long as everything is progressing along at a nice rate; going directly through them is usually a wise choice...
If you could... please PM me with the companies that are on both sides of this one...
(idle curiosity...) :D

Vader
09-05-2014, 02:11 PM
The estimate is done, still waiting to get a copy but not a big issue. The owner of the vehicle that hit me is MIA. Numerous attempts to contact them by THEIR own insurance carrier have gone unanswered. I was informed today that their carrier will try again,that they will speak to the service department and get a copy of the estimate from the dealer where the Spyder is now and if the owner fails to contact them that they will be forced to just go by the accident report which is totaly in my favor.

ARtraveler
09-05-2014, 02:17 PM
The estimate is done, still waiting to get a copy but not a big issue. The owner of the vehicle that hit me is MIA. Numerous attempts to contact them by THEIR own insurance carrier have gone unanswered. I was informed today that their carrier will try again,that they will speak to the service department and get a copy of the estimate from the dealer where the Spyder is now and if the owner fails to contact them that they will be forced to just go by the accident report which is totaly in my favor.

Thank you for the update. Interesting, some of the drama that sometimes takes place after the fact. :yikes:

Bob Denman
09-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Glad to hear that they're willing to proceed without the statement from their own driver... :2thumbs:

Vader
09-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Well it wasnt easy.It took four calls,with no noe from their insurance carrier calling me back.But finally todat i was speaking with a representative who actually knew what their job descriptions was. Frustrating but she is making things happen. I had to fax/upload the accident report,for the second time,because her team had no report sent to them from the rep we spoke to on Tuesday. She also contacted the service depatment and requested the estimate,AND she contacted the agent who deals with the owner directly and requested they try contacting the owner because they have a close more personal relationship with them. I figure if you want results, call call call...
I will post more as i get it, thanks again

Vader
09-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Just received a call from the other owners insurance company,the person who i spoke to earlier.They FINALLY got a call abck from the policy holder who confirmed everything on the accident report and are accepting full liabilty.Next step is for the estimate to be sent to the insurance company where it will be reviewed and then begins the repair process. I plane on posting some photos from the day I bought it,the day of the accident and the day I get it back.

SNOOPY
09-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Don't accept the bike back until everything is EXACTLY how you want it, won't happen after you sign off.

Bob Denman
09-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Is the bike a total loss, or is the estimate looking as if it's going to be repaired? :dontknow:

Vader
09-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Don't accept the bike back until everything is EXACTLY how you want it, won't happen after you sign off.

Absolutely

Vader
09-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Is the bike a total loss, or is the estimate looking as if it's going to be repaired? :dontknow:

I am waiting to see the estimate. I did not receive a copy yet.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Sometimes in cases like this if an insurance company is dragging their feet all one has to do is suggest they are going to contact the state insurance commission. That will usually stimulate action as there are few things more distasteful to an ins. co. than answering questions from the commission.

Bob Denman
09-06-2014, 07:18 AM
Other than the other driver dragging his feet; the insurance company seems to be moving at the expected pace... :2thumbs:
...even though it ALWAYS appears to be too :cus: slow... :gaah:

Vader
09-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Sometimes in cases like this if an insurance company is dragging their feet all one has to do is suggest they are going to contact the state insurance commission. That will usually stimulate action as there are few things more distasteful to an ins. co. than answering questions from the commission.
Thanks..i think it will be smoother sailing from here foward since this new representative took up the case. They did more in a few hours than the others did in days. And they called me back to update me on the status of the claim.

Bob Denman
09-06-2014, 02:42 PM
:clap: 94752 :2thumbs:

Vader
09-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Well..just about $3200.00 including labor. It now in the hands of the other insurance company. They will need to review and then hopefully by next week,the repairs can begin.

SNOOPY
09-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Hope it goes quick for you...but quality work! :thumbup:

SNOOPY
09-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Hope it goes quick for you...but quality work! :thumbup:

Nice English stupid dog. roflmao

Bob Denman
09-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Well..just about $3200.00 including labor. It now in the hands of the other insurance company. They will need to review and then hopefully by next week,the repairs can begin.

:shocked: Did they put in for a frame?

Vader
09-06-2014, 06:52 PM
:shocked: Did they put in for a frame?
I do not believe that was included. But he did say it was an estimate and as work progresses so may the parts that need replacing.
Why do you ask?

SNOOPY
09-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Don't mind him, he's just postwhoring. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-06-2014, 08:38 PM
I do not believe that was included. But he did say it was an estimate and as work progresses so may the parts that need replacing.
Why do you ask?
I was wondering if the rear tire and swing arm soaked up the impact...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
09-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Don't mind him, he's just postwhoring. :roflblack:

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! Would he do that? :roflblack::roflblack:

Whaddaya say Snoopy?

SNOOPY
09-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Umm...

Vader
09-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Received a call. Estimate was reviewed and aproved. Reapirs will begin shortly. Hoping to get back to riding asap.

Bob Denman
09-08-2014, 06:05 PM
:congrats: :yes::ohyea::yes: :clap: :2thumbs:

Vader
09-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Before

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s442/AndrewJWard/Mobile%20Uploads/20140709_105600_zps4jpriwj2.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/AndrewJWard/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140709_105600_zps4jpriwj2.jpg.html)

And after (where the rear fender?)

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s442/AndrewJWard/Mobile%20Uploads/20140830_165101_zpsh3cpj4xr.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/AndrewJWard/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140830_165101_zpsh3cpj4xr.jpg.html)

Bob Denman
09-09-2014, 05:07 PM
It looks as if the bodywork was pushed-up by quite a bit... :shocked:

Vader
09-09-2014, 05:25 PM
It looks as if the bodywork was pushed-up by quite a bit... :shocked:

Yeah..just a bit.

Bob Denman
09-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Now that you've seen how cool they look without the rear fender... ;)
Are you consdiering leaving it as a bobtail? :dontknow:

Vader
09-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Now that you've seen how cool they look without the rear fender... ;)
Are you consdiering leaving it as a bobtail? :dontknow:
No

SNOOPY
09-09-2014, 07:44 PM
No

Good, looks better w the fender. :thumbup:

SNOOPY
09-09-2014, 07:46 PM
What was the bulk of the estimate?

Vader
09-10-2014, 07:35 PM
What was the bulk of the estimate?

Bulk? Like the most expensive part or bulk as in total so far?

Vader
09-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Today i got my Spyder back. Looks good as new. Big thanks to Stamford Motorsports in Connecticut. They did an awesome job. Total will be over $3200.00. All covered by the other motorists insurance company.
Nice two hour ride showed zero issues. Neither my neighbor or I could find any issues with any parts that were installed.

Bob Denman
09-19-2014, 08:54 PM
:D I'm SOOOO glad to hear this!! :clap: :2thumbs: :congrats:

Tango
09-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Glad it all worked out for you. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

PrairieSpyder
09-20-2014, 10:30 AM
:congrats: on getting your Spyder back, good as new!

Vader
09-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Glad it all worked out for you. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

Thanks Tom!

Vader
09-20-2014, 02:35 PM
:congrats: on getting your Spyder back, good as new!

Thanks Prairie!

Dan McNally
09-20-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm happy you got it back in good shape!

Vader
09-20-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm happy you got it back in good shape!

Thanks Hayfield..shake down run yesterday was about two hours with no noticeable issues. The "weekend warriors" around here meant that I will refrain from doing any riding this weekend.