PDA

View Full Version : Best Tire Solution

rgk
09-01-2014, 09:47 AM
As a new Spyder (2014 RTL) owner, I have noted the general dissatisfaction with OEM tires that is expressed on this forum. My question is, for an RTL operated in 50-95 degree mostly dry conditions, what tires would you purchase to maximize performance, not service life. The Spyder is equipped with a BajaRon sway bar and I am considering adding Elka shocks. I ride solo always and my weight with gear is 170lbs and I usually have another 30lbs of tools and etc. Thanks for your responses.

Highwayman2013
09-01-2014, 10:01 AM
:popcorn:

Bob Denman
09-01-2014, 10:04 AM
:shocked: Gee... I never even thought that the OEM Kenda was all that bad in the handling department...
It was predictable, and gave lots of warnings. :thumbup:
Id you're building a canyon-carver; there might be better platforms to use as a starting point. :thumbup:

sddinnh
09-01-2014, 10:10 AM
:popcorn::popcorn:

dndfindley
09-01-2014, 03:24 PM
As a new Spyder (2014 RTL) owner, I have noted the general dissatisfaction with OEM tires that is expressed on this forum. My question is, for an RTL operated in 50-95 degree mostly dry conditions, what tires would you purchase to maximize performance, not service life. The Spyder is equipped with a BajaRon sway bar and I am considering adding Elka shocks. I ride solo always and my weight with gear is 170lbs and I usually have another 30lbs of tools and etc. Thanks for your responses.

If you're not concerned with service life then my suggestion is to stick with the Kenda. If however you are concerned about what you pay for a new Kenda which is $180 around here then you might try the Kumho Esta Ast. It goes for $79 at Discount Tire.

DrewNJ
09-01-2014, 03:32 PM
If your looking for a straight up performance tire and see very minimal rain then take a look at the toyo proxes ra1. Your not going to beat the stickiness on dry pavement. It's not great in the rain. Not horrible either, just not great. Tread life will be less too.

Or go a car all season tire for longer tread life.

Personally, I like the stock kenda on my RS. Handles and grips good and predictable. I'll be right at 15k on tread life.

rgk
09-01-2014, 03:37 PM
If you're not concerned with service life then my suggestion is to stick with the Kenda. If however you are concerned about what you pay for a new Kenda which is $180 around here then you might try the Kumho Esta Ast. It goes for $79 at Discount Tire.

Thanks for your response. If I understand you correctly, from a performance perspective the Kenda is fine but it just doesn't last very long.

rgk
09-01-2014, 03:43 PM
:popcorn::popcorn:
Please tell me the reason that you chose the Michelin Hydroedge 215/60/15 Rear. Thank you.

sddinnh
09-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Please tell me the reason that you chose the Michelin Hydroedge 215/60/15 Rear. Thank you.

I've have had excellent results from Michelin tires over the years on both cars and bikes so I am partial to them. I chose the size because (1) it brings the speedometer into line with the GPS (2) It seems like the rim width is better suited to this size than to the factory size - there's some feeling that the stock rim is too narrow for the existing tire size which causes the center to ballon and wear faster. The Hydroedge was chosen because it has a similar tread pattern to stock and we get a fair amount of "wet" riding up here so I was looking for a tire pattern that would channel water really well.

It has good dry traction and so far does very well in the wet. Once I was sure it was a tire I liked, I bought a second one for "stock"

As far as "canyon carving" goes, I ran for 2 weeks up on the Gaspe with 3 BMW's and it hung right in there with them, so I'm a happy camper so far. Along with the other changes I made, I'm about 90% happy with the handling. I feel the fronts could use a stiffer sidewall, but until I find a suitable tire, I'm happy for now.

Hope this helps.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-01-2014, 06:10 PM
If your looking for a straight up performance tire and see very minimal rain then take a look at the toyo proxes ra1. Your not going to beat the stickiness on dry pavement. It's not great in the rain. Not horrible either, just not great. Tread life will be less too.

Or go a car all season tire for longer tread life.

Personally, I like the stock kenda on my RS. Handles and grips good and predictable. I'll be right at 15k on tread life.....I mounted Toyo Proxes T 1 r in 185 / 55-15 on the front of my 2014 ( basic ) RT and I love them ...wet or dry....( it does have a utoq of 280 that's not bad ) ..........Mikeguyver....:thumbup:................. ...I'm not familiar with the ra1 ????

Chupaca
09-01-2014, 06:20 PM
get great mileage from kenda and great prices online..but you will find no end of info on the subject. Don't know if it is #1 topic or not but close for sure..:thumbup: Search a bit till your dizzy anyway...:roflblack::roflblack:

sddinnh
09-01-2014, 06:57 PM
get great mileage from kenda and great prices online..but you will find no end of info on the subject. Don't know if it is #1 topic or not but close for sure..:thumbup: Search a bit till your dizzy anyway...:roflblack::roflblack:

It's like oil Gene, everybody has their favorites and their own reason for running them. Is there one "best" tire, I doubt it. I think any good quality tire will probably work as well as any other one. It may get a few more miles and may be a hair better in the rain, but they are probably so close that it would take a better driver than me to really tell the difference, especially on the back. :dontknow: