PDA

View Full Version : Switching to a Spyder

pstebbins1108
09-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Hi, just joined. Have always ridden a sporty bike. Right now I'm riding a 600 Honda Shadow but instead of another two wheeler, I'm thinking about a Spyder for touring. My husband has a 1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 and I love it. We like long distance riding and it's really time for me to have a trike. The bigger bikes are way too tall for me and would be way to difficult for me to handle. I'm only 5' tall. Just thought I'd say hi and to let you all know I'm in my "learning all about Spyders" phase.

Pat

Oldmanzues
09-01-2014, 09:01 AM
Welcome. Spyders are a great machine. Among other things, they have a real reverse and they do not tip over when stopping.
There is a thread called do and don't for new riders on here, but the computer twit I am. I do not know how to find it. I think somebody will do so on here. Lots of nice people as well
Oldmanzues

Purple Guy
09-01-2014, 09:12 AM
:welcome:

You've come to the right place to learn all things Spyder!
Here's the link for the Do's & Don'ts mentioned above.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&highlight=homework

Bob Denman
09-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Hi Pat! :D :welcome:
Since you're used to bikes, and want to log some serious miles; The RT-S can be had with the SM-6 transmission, if you prefer to stir your own gears...The ST-S can be outfitted with bags and touring amenities if you prefer a bit more compact ride. :thumbup:
:nopic: a pic or two of your rides? :2thumbs:
(We like "leaners" too!)

AppleSpyder
09-01-2014, 09:39 AM
and I have not looked back! I had a Suzuki Boulevard C50T which I loved. But with all the sand and stones down in the southern part of AZ I was having a lot of difficulty with my stops and backing up, my feet would slip. The owner of the bike shop where we do business let me drive his Spyder around in the parking lot and it was not only love at first ride it was "OH MY GOSH I GOT TO GET ONE OF THESE". I ended up with a 2014 ST Limited. I have never had more fun, more excitement, more confidence than I have now. I can keep up with my husband and the other people that we we ride with now. It is the best thing I have ever done. Yah the price was a whole lot more than my other bike but I got so much more in return. Not only that but the storage is fantastic!!! I can't say enough about the wonderful experience I have had with my Spyder. If you have a chance sit on one, take it for a little test ride and you will get caught in the web! Oh, I also built many of my own Spyders on the BRP website before I actually even sat on one...just day dreaming never thinking I could even get one!! I am one very, very happy lady....but I have now developed a new disease OSD....Obsessive Spyder Disorder. :dg1:

KX5062
09-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Hi, just joined. Have always ridden a sporty bike. Right now I'm riding a 600 Honda Shadow but instead of another two wheeler, I'm thinking about a Spyder for touring. My husband has a 1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 and I love it. We like long distance riding and it's really time for me to have a trike. The bigger bikes are way too tall for me and would be way to difficult for me to handle. I'm only 5' tall. Just thought I'd say hi and to let you all know I'm in my "learning all about Spyders" phase.

Pat

Welcome aboard.:ani29:

From what you're describing, I can't think of a better way to go for you. The difference between a Spyder RT (touring model) and your Honda is night and day. Honestly, if you can try one, do it; the difference will blow your mind. The Spyder is so much more capable than the Honda there really is no comparison. :2thumbs:

If you have specific questions, feel free to post them up. You'll get plenty of answers, some good, some not so much, but that's the way of the internet. ;)

Highwayman2013
09-01-2014, 09:57 AM
My wife always rode on the back of my bike until she test rode a spyder in the dealer's parking lot. That was 2012. We have since rode to West Virginia (2013) and the Atlantic provinces of Canada (July 2014 3079 miles). She loves her RT. Enjoy whatever spyder you choose.94367 There is a great group on facebook called girls on spyders too.

CentralCoastCA
09-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Welcome to. Spyderlovers!

I started riding 2 years ago on an '08 GS SM5 which I rode 17k miles and recently upgraded to a '14 RT SE6 for touring (5k miles so far). Depending on how many miles you tour there's all sorts of options.

The new powerful 1330 engines on the '14 RT's, along with improved gas mileage per tank, cruising amenities (cruise, electric windshield, storage) and heat management made it the perfect choice for the long distance rides we have planned. The ST 's are a very nice choice if you don't want sometime as big and it will be interesting to see if any new improvements or bigger engines are forthcoming in the '15 models, due out in a few short weeks. The RS's are a blast, very sporty to ride but for me at 5'8", too cramped for touring. But did I mention the RS was fun, LOL. Check out the brand new F3, an RS with a 1330 engine coming out this year.

If there is a motorcycle show or a Spyder event near you, I encourage you to go to them and talk to owners and sit on as many types of Spyders that you can. There is also a Facebook groups called Girls On Spyders, which is for women only and you must ask to join. Lots of great information on GOS and a wonderful way to connect with riders in your area.

Hope you find your Spyder dream ride soon.

SpyderAnn01
09-01-2014, 10:20 AM
:welcome: if you are looking for a great touring bike the 2014 RT is awesome. I"ve got 24,000 trouble free miles on them and I wouldn't trade it for anything, at least until I see what 2015 has to offer. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Are you shopping already?? :shocked:

ARtraveler
09-01-2014, 03:15 PM
We are a bit biased here but :welcome:

I like them a lot. :yes:

tobor9
09-01-2014, 06:55 PM
pstebbins1108 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?16565-pstebbins1108) My wife and I each have a:ani29:,she has a '14 RTL and I have a'11 RS and we love them! We have never been on 2wheels so can't talk about the difference from 2-3 wheels but would be happy to meet with you as we live in the West Ashley area and you are not far. PM me(tobor9) or Sofia(SDM) maybe we do lunch somewhere.

Chupaca
09-01-2014, 07:10 PM
I came from a 1978 GL1000 and have never looked back. You need to test ryde them and get a feel for the spyders but you will love them the more you ryde roadsters...:thumbup: