PDA

View Full Version : need advice

Spydman
08-31-2014, 07:33 PM
just arrived in gatlinburg tn. Around 4:00 pm for vacation. Trailered the spyder up my droptail trailer. Got the spyder uncovered and untied and got on to crank up and back it off but spyder would not crank?? When I turned the key on it went to the right mode but when I hit the start button it would not make a sound. No lights except the LEDs on the fender. Horn works.no headlights or fog lights. Checked all the fuses and they looked good. Do not want to take it off the trailer because I'm afraid I will never get it back on. Kinda stuck with tomorrow being Laborday. I think there is a Mountain Motor Sports in Kodiak Tn. About 26 miles away. I may haul the spyder over there on Tues.

sddinnh
08-31-2014, 07:35 PM
I hate to ask, but is the Kill switch set to off???

Spydman
08-31-2014, 07:41 PM
I will check in the morning. Thanks for the advice

oldgoat
08-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Maybe the battery connections are not tight enough for the starting system to function.

bscrive
08-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Did you remember to press on the brake when you tried to start it?

edmarino
08-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Sounds to me like you have a dead battery. I would try getting my hands on a charger. Walmart will do in a pinch. Battery is not completely dead just low enough to only light the led's etc. probably find battery down to some thing like 12.9 volts not enough power to turn Spyder over.

Duece2
08-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Step on the brake pedal and try to start it.

happyspyder2039
08-31-2014, 09:19 PM
just arrived in gatlinburg tn. Around 4:00 pm for vacation. Trailered the spyder up my droptail trailer. Got the spyder uncovered and untied and got on to crank up and back it off but spyder would not crank?? When I turned the key on it went to the right mode but when I hit the start button it would not make a sound. No lights except the LEDs on the fender. Horn works.no headlights or fog lights. Checked all the fuses and they looked good. Do not want to take it off the trailer because I'm afraid I will never get it back on. Kinda stuck with tomorrow being Laborday. I think there is a Mountain Motor Sports in Kodiak Tn. About 26 miles away. I may haul the spyder over there on Tues.
Headlights/ fogs won't come on till bike is running to save battery.

Ex-Rocket
08-31-2014, 09:31 PM
Still in gear? Put foot on brake pedal and then crank it.

Chupaca
08-31-2014, 11:14 PM
starting proceedure..ignition on..kill switch off..in neutral..step on the brake if not..hit starter button. Now if battery low you will hear a click but if too low perhaps nothing. Having lights and dash does it's thing I suspect the starting proceedure. If it should be the battery perhaps a service station or auto parts store can test and/or charge you back up...:thumbup:

sddinnh
09-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Did you ever figure out why it wouldn't start?

Bob Denman
09-01-2014, 02:24 PM
:shocked: :bbq::bbq::bbq:

dndfindley
09-01-2014, 03:16 PM

Yes, Mountain Motorsports in Kodak, TN (not Kodiak) is open on Mondays (don't know about Labor Day). Another option you have is Alcoa Good Times, the Spyder dealer Alcoa, TN (just south of Knoxville). Good Times is further away from you but they are a better dealership than is Mountain Motorsports. Good Times is closed on Mondays but will be open at 9 on Tuesday. In any case I wish you luck.

Spydman
09-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks all for the advice and info. Checked the kill switch and it was ok. Looked at the fuse box again and a couple of the bigger black fuses (the ones you can't see thru) felt to be somewhat loose. Thought I had checked all of them yesterday but anyway I pushed all fuses in tight and :ani29: started up. All seems ok but tonight when putting the half cover on the antenna broke off at the base. Oh we'll I wanted a shortie antenna anyway. Seems like this is starting to be the beginning of the vacation from hell but we will try to make the best of it. Thanks again to all for the help. All the folks here on this forum are friendly and very helpful. :ani29: Friends rock.

SpyderAnn01
09-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Glad to hear you figured it out. Those big black fuses that you can't see through are called Relays and they can come loose.