PDA

View Full Version : Question for Spyder owners that ride a motorcycle....

Benggolf
08-30-2014, 09:22 PM
I use to ride a Bonneville T120 way back mid 70's and would like to buy
a 2014 Bonneville T100.

What do you think of these bikes? I have been told then are much improved with fuel injection and are
pretty much trouble-free now.

Your input is much appreciated. TIA. ;)

Benggolf

Mexican
08-30-2014, 09:30 PM
For what i have heard about the bike from my fellow Triumph riders the bike is solid and as reliable as any other modern bike, Triumph dealers on the other hand are hard to find and if you need a part you will have to wait to get it because more than likely will not be in stock, other than that you will be ok, i ride a Triumph rocket3 and have put almost 38k miles with about 200 dollars worth of repairs, not counting normal maintenence, hope this helps a little:D

Benggolf
08-30-2014, 09:49 PM
For what i have heard about the bike from my fellow Triumph riders the bike is solid and as reliable as any other modern bike, Triumph dealers on the other hand are hard to find and if you need a part you will have to wait to get it because more than likely will not be in stock, other than that you will be ok, i ride a Triumph rocket3 and have put almost 38k miles with about 200 dollars worth of repairs, not counting normal maintenence, hope this helps a little:D

Thanks for the quick reply, Mexican. That seems to be the consensus of Triumph owners that
I have spoken with.

I am vertically challenged (inseams are just 26") and need to install lowered seat and installed shorter rear shock absorbers
from Progressive and lower the front suspension. I hope to be able to lower the seat height by at least 1.5-2.0".

Just hope lowering the suspension by 1.5" will not reduce the cornering clearance to the point that I will be dragging the pipes on the ground when cornering. :yikes:

Benggolf

asp125
08-30-2014, 11:40 PM
If you are worried about dragging pipes, swap the T100 pipes with ones off a Thruxton. Love my 06 Thruxton even with carbs it's pretty reliable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Mike X
08-31-2014, 04:19 AM
I had a 2005 Thruxton , great machine , never had a moments problem .
loads of goodies available too .
Living in the UK helps with spares etc but to be honest you probably won't need many .
They sound fantastic on Triumph open pipes and handle very well , you will love it .
They really are a million miles away from the old bikes , even the oil stays inside the engine theses days :thumbup:

Mexican
08-31-2014, 01:37 PM
I had a 2005 Thruxton , great machine , never had a moments problem .
loads of goodies available too .
Living in the UK helps with spares etc but to be honest you probably won't need many .
They sound fantastic on Triumph open pipes and handle very well , you will love it .
They really are a million miles away from the old bikes , even the oil stays inside the engine theses days :thumbup:
You are correct, the only oil spot in my garage is from my Harley:opps::clap:

Chupaca
08-31-2014, 06:12 PM
grew up with those machines along with the Italian, German etc. We had them all and for all their faults they could be fixed on the side of the road...though they failed a bit more they always got us where we were going. Even the old Harleys and Indians. But now they are reliable and have to be cause they have so much techy stuff it's run or tow... You may have to have a custom seat made or modified but sure you can get your feet on the ground...good luck..!! :thumbup:

Benggolf
08-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Thank you all so much for the valuable feedback!
I will have to lower the suspension and a lowered seat...after that things should be manageable.

Like the idea of swapping out the OEM muffers for the ones on the Thruxton and the using TT pipes even better!

Can't forget how nicely my Bonneville handled and must get another one even just for the nostalgia. ;) Will keep you posted.

Plyrod38
08-31-2014, 10:02 PM
I have an 09 Bonneville, I upgraded the suspension with Progressive, front and rear. I'm short so I lowered it 1" in the suspension and 1/2" off the seat. I did the air box removal and a bunch of other mods and farkles.
I love the machine, and would be very reluctant to let it go. It is not a touring bike, and I look for someplace to get off after a couple hours of riding. It a fairly quick and fun machine but I limit myself to 1 up short rides.

chuck gross
08-31-2014, 10:55 PM
I was at lifestyles Honda in mount vernon on Saturday they are now a Triumph dealer and the T100 that I was checking out is so cool looking
what a blast from the past Triumph really did a nice job building these bikes go for it Benggolf I don't think you will be disappointed :clap:

47ModelBrit
09-01-2014, 10:09 AM
I use to ride a Bonneville T120 way back mid 70's and would like to buy
a 2014 Bonneville T100.

What do you think of these bikes? I have been told then are much improved with fuel injection and are
pretty much trouble-free now.

Your input is much appreciated. TIA. ;)

Benggolf

I bought a new Bonneville in 03 and like it as much today as I did then. I especially like the fact it's a general-purpose bike. It's not a sports-bike, sport-tourer, cruiser, adventure tourer or anything special at all. It will just do pretty much what I want a bike to do without any fuss.

asp125
09-01-2014, 10:22 AM
OMG, Richmond BC eh? ;) I grew up there! I would hesitate riding a moto in Richmond now though. Crazy drivers! We were back there on our Spyder in July, visiting the island. At least the Spyder was big and yellow.

The Bonnie is a great around town bike. Suitable for light touring if you add some leather saddlebags and a fly screen. Another point on the stock Thruxton pipes - you can pick up a pair cheap off craigslist etc, because many thruxton owners switch them out for British Custom Predators or the Triumph sport pipes.

Benggolf
09-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks to all of your input guys, finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2014 Bonneville T100 in Black/Red paint scheme (spoke wheels of course). Hopefully the lowered Progressive rear shocks will arrive tomorrow so I can pick her up this coming Thursday! ;)
The lowered seats have already been installed.

Now planning on some farkles!