PDA

View Full Version : break in period

LRCulpepper
10-03-2008, 03:06 PM
:dontknow: I have my spyder on order so to fill the time I downloaded and was reading the use and care book. It states during hte first hundred miles or so not to run full throttle not to slam the breaks if possible the standard stuff but one thing caught my eye and has me concerned it also said not to make a long continuos ride until after the break in time frame. The dealer is about 4 hours from where I live and I was thinking I would fly in and ride home but that seems to go against what Cam Am is saying to do so now I thinking I should drive up and trailer her home. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions. Has anyone else done a fly in and drive home purchase and if so had any issues from it. :dontknow:

Larry

Director
10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
:dontknow: I have my spyder on order so to fill the time I downloaded and was reading the use and care book. It states during hte first hundred miles or so not to run full throttle not to slam the breaks if possible the standard stuff but one thing caught my eye and has me concerned it also said not to make a long continuos ride until after the break in time frame. The dealer is about 4 hours from where I live and I was thinking I would fly in and ride home but that seems to go against what Cam Am is saying to do so now I thinking I should drive up and trailer her home. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions. Has anyone else done a fly in and drive home purchase and if so had any issues from it. :dontknow:

Larry

I noticed that as well Larry, and I have been told that this is actually a misprint. The complete sentence should be to "avoid prolonged riding at a continuous speed/RPM." Just vary the speed and revs and it will be fine. I am picking my Spyder up in a week from my dealer three hours away, and he told me to just "ride it like you own it." I believe the only thing to watch for is that you don't allow the engine to run too hot, so keep an eye on the temp bars and stop somewhere to let it cool down if it does look like it is too warm (perhaps as a result of stop and go traffic).

Cheers,

Bruce

zzneonzz
10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
There is a lot of information on this topic here on the forums....Several people flew down to pick there us and drove it back several hundread miles with no problems. I think the most important thing is to vary your RPM's and not cruz at hwy speeds the entire time.

Dyno824
10-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Take the back roads home and vary the speed.Was faced with a I-5 break-in not the way to go. Temperature that day was 17 degrees,big reason to trailer home.Good Luck you must be excited.Greetings from the Oregon Coast Den :cheers:

SpyderByter
10-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Larry,

Where were did you download that from? I too am sitting and waiting for deleivery, and would like to read up. Getting a lot of info from this forum from owners actual findings, which is very good also.

Mark

bjt
10-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Larry,

Where were did you download that from? I too am sitting and waiting for deleivery, and would like to read up. Getting a lot of info from this forum from owners actual findings, which is very good also.

Mark

Could be this (http://spyder.brp.com/NR/rdonlyres/A86F2B61-B5BE-4BE9-8E75-31BAFBB36FC0/0/OperatorsGuide_2008_en.pdf) that he is talking about. There are a few links on the SpyderLovers home page on the right side under the heading Spyder Web. Good info.

LRCulpepper
10-04-2008, 09:31 AM
home page oerloverlover.com on the right hand side of page about 3/4 the way down under the spyder web section http://spyder.brp.com/NR/rdonlyres/A86F2B61-B5BE-4BE9-8E75-31BAFBB36FC0/0/OperatorsGuide_2008_en.pdf

teacherbob
10-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Ride it like you stoled it.:yes:

vnmous1
10-05-2008, 12:02 AM

Larry

Rode my wife's Spyder from Detroit to Chicago the day I picked it up. There is, in fact, a downside to riding for extended periods even if you do vary the speeds/rpms. The issues are that you are not allowing heat/cool cycles and regardless of how much you vary the speeds, you can still have ring seating issues brought on by continuous operation. The other problem is even if you vary the speeds (both rpm and mph) you're not varying the load on the powertrain.

I rode those 300 miles at 50-75 mph. No more than 55% of redline. Stopped every 45 min and let it cool a bit. Put it in as high a gear possible without lugging and rolled the throttle on to create a load on the engine.

bj

COOLHAND
10-06-2008, 09:47 AM
I've just taken possession of my sweet little ride and have a big concern. When braking at low speeds I get a sqeal that would break glass and it will sometimes continue aafter release the brake. I do not get the sqeal when using the brakes in Reverse. The dealer says it's not an issue. Has anyone experienced this issue and should I be concerned?

zzneonzz
10-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Yea everyone for the most part has had this issue. If you do a search you will find a ton of posts regarding brake squeel.....

I have it and they say its not an issue at the dealer....BRP is working on some new pads to keep the squeel. I was told from my dealer the squeel is the vibration of the pads to the caliper and not the roter similar to an issue that ford had back in the day...So we just sit back and hope that the new pads come out and fix the squeel

dltang
10-06-2008, 10:04 AM
I've just taken possession of my sweet little ride and have a big concern. When braking at low speeds I get a sqeal that would break glass and it will sometimes continue aafter release the brake. I do not get the sqeal when using the brakes in Reverse. The dealer says it's not an issue. Has anyone experienced this issue and should I be concerned?

Okay, this hasn't been brought up in a while. Back in March when I first got my spyder, this was talked about to help with the squealing problem. It wasn't a permanent fix but I just did it again when the squeal came back every so often and it would greatly reduce that awful noise. Get going up to about 45-65 mph in a clear straight away and prepare yourself and slam on your brakes hard. Do this a couple of times. I don't know why it works or how it works but something about "seating" the brakes (I don't know what that means, just heard about it). When the squeal comes back do this again.

On another note, my dealer took off the brake pads as a warranty issue and put some sort of lubricant or something on the pads per BRP's recommendation. This was done at no cost to me. While they were in there I had them change my pads due to the fact that I needed it done anyway and they did not charge me the labor as they were in there for a warranty issue anyway. I do not have any squealing problem andy more.

COOLHAND
10-07-2008, 12:14 PM
OK. So far I'm getting a fix that I can do myself but I also see that this was treated as an warranty issue. If anyone has had long term bad effects from this please keep me posted. My sqeal is occurring at the loud speeds which lends to the vibration theory.

bone crusher
10-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Mine make more of a rubbing noise when I slow down to a stop...it's not overly loud, but it's apparent...

When I have the 600 mile service, I'll have them address it.

These bikes have a 2 year warranty...I'm not worrying about anything now...