PDA

View Full Version : Horsepower.....something to think about

Pennyrick
08-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Horsepower is a measurement of power. With electricity one horsepower equals 746 watts.

James Watt wanted to measure how his steam engine compared to horses so he determined that a horse could turn a mill wheel 144 times in one hour or 2.4 times in a minute. The wheel was 12 feet in radius, therefore the horse travelled 2.4 x 2pi x 12 feet. Watt judged that a horse could pull with a force of 180 pounds so......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/a/1/f/a1f88b48faa7319c28914b0f31d351a5.png
He rounded the number to 33,000 ft/lbs per minute.

So however you want to look at this measurement it is a very arbitrary figure.

I vote we stop using the term and just call it 'power' . We need a new way to measure it though.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Rayelljay
08-29-2014, 05:24 PM
WHY.....?

It has lasted and served us for years...there's no need to change for change's sake.

jwulf74
08-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Haven't some vehicle manufacturers started rating engines in Newtons?

Bob Denman
08-29-2014, 05:56 PM
94206 I vote for gigawatts! :2thumbs:

NovaSpyder
08-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Bob is not far off, but kilowatts would be more appropriate 1 hp =.75 kw. But Roger raises a good point, is it change because horses are not really part of the equation? What about other arbitrary units, knots for example. I'm pretty sure sailors no longer count the knots on a rope going over the side to measure speed.;)

ARtraveler
08-29-2014, 06:16 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Not a math guru so will just watch this one. :yes:

Bob Denman
08-29-2014, 06:25 PM
What about other arbitrary units, knots for example. I'm pretty sure sailors no longer count the knots on a rope going over the side to measure speed.;)

Speed?? That's easy! :D Just pick a Warp Factor, and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jd1Ih8EUmw

Pennyrick
08-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Speed?? That's easy! :D Just pick a Warp Factor, and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jd1Ih8EUmw

That's it!!!

The new measurement standard for power will be "Jean Lucs".

vided
08-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Anybody remember when it was 427cu. ins, 396 cu. ins, or 409 cu. ins.
and everybody said wow.
now it's 5.7 liters, and the reaction is "uh"

keep horsepower. :2thumbs:;)

NZSpyderRyder
08-29-2014, 07:16 PM
I have to agree with the poster, technology should never stand still.
It's horses for courses.
No one horse is the same, so how can horsepower be an accurate measurement with todays technologically advanced engines.
I have no idea how this could be achieved as I struggle converting centimetres to inches.

Oldmanzues
08-29-2014, 07:28 PM
I believe a "knot" is traveling a nautical mile in a hour. that one has ben around for a while.
Metric, American and among others Whitworth sizes for wrenchs and things. Meter stick anybody ?
Many Americans have no idea what a 5 liter engine size is in inches.
Many American things are already metric to be able to sell in other coutries.

Several years ago, there was push to make everything metric here in America. One big complaint was how will I every be able to p[ut gas in my car in liters ? How many people put 5 gallons in anymore ? Stationed in German, we bought gas with coupons, 5 liter and other sizes
Oldmanzues

ChasCS
08-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Like...

Chas

NovaSpyder
08-29-2014, 07:55 PM
I believe a "knot" is traveling a nautical mile in a hour. that one has ben around for a while.
Metric, American and among others Whitworth sizes for wrenchs and things. Meter stick anybody ?
Many Americans have no idea what a 5 liter engine size is in inches.
Many American things are already metric to be able to sell in other coutries.

Several years ago, there was push to make everything metric here in America. One big complaint was how will I every be able to p[ut gas in my car in liters ? How many people put 5 gallons in anymore ? Stationed in German, we bought gas with coupons, 5 liter and other sizes
Oldmanzues

Yes a knot is traveling one nautical mile an hour, but before more modern technology, a rope was tied of in knots a specific distance apart and they counted the number of knots that went over the side in 30 seconds to determine the number of nautical miles per hour travelled. It is coincidence that knot sounds like naut. So me no longer use knots to measure knots;)

billrob71
08-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Anybody remember when it was 427cu. ins, 396 cu. ins, or 409 cu. ins.
and everybody said wow.
now it's 5.7 liters, and the reaction is "uh"

keep horsepower. :2thumbs:;)

I like the old system too myself but sadly cubic inches will soon be gone

SNOOPY
08-29-2014, 08:09 PM
I vote for dogpower!!! :yes::yes::yes:

NZSpyderRyder
08-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Stationed in German, we bought gas with coupons, 5 liter and other sizes
Oldmanzues

Happy days. I was stationed in Germany as well, Soest & Fallingbostel with the British Army, remember the petrol coupons and travelling home to England with a boot full of fuel in jerry cans.
We used to love doing exercises with the yanks, they would swap anything for the kit we had.

Dan_Ashley
08-29-2014, 09:17 PM
I vote for Spyder-Power. It works like this:
The original Spyder motor produced what? 96 horsepower? So, each spyder-power is equivalent to 96 horsepower. Let's give up on all that overly complicated math type geek stuff: nutons, horse power, foot pounds, cc, cubic inches, and on and on. Let's put it in terms that are REALLY important: SPYDERPOWER!

wyliec
08-29-2014, 09:20 PM
I vote for Spyder-Power. It works like this:
The original Spyder motor produced what? 96 horsepower? So, each spyder-power is equivalent to 96 horsepower. Let's give up on all that overly complicated math type geek stuff: nutons, horse power, foot pounds, cc, cubic inches, and on and on. Let's put it in terms that are REALLY important: SPYDERPOWER!

You're a little off on hp for the original spyder.

JerryB
08-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Hi Double,

Re: With electricity one horsepower equals 746 watts.

Every now & I'll be reading a foreign auto magazine and I seem to recall that most of them use kW values.

IMO most Americans are scared spitless of the metric system. There is nothing to fear of it.

When Australia made the switch, everything in the country had two years to convert, they seemed to have survived.

While stationed in France I had to learn a little of it.

Most of the cars I have owned have had metric fasteners, etc. After a while one can just look at a bolt and automatically reach for the 10 mm wrench.

I prefer it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) If anyone wants to experience how easy it is to learn a new system, just buy a metric measuring tape and use it for one week. They are available.

Big Arm
08-29-2014, 10:40 PM
My head is starting to hurt :banghead: :yikes:

Dubld
08-29-2014, 11:09 PM

1.21 gigawatts, Bob? What the hell is a gigawatt?

Chupaca
08-30-2014, 12:11 AM
it's kind of world wide. I grew up metric and never got used to inches. Again metric is pretty much world wide. It does include engine sizes. But horse power is world wide. Changing it world wide would be tough...I like the vision of 100 horses pulling me along...:roflblack::roflblack:

vided
08-30-2014, 06:30 AM
My head is starting to hurt :banghead: :yikes:

:clap::agree::agree::agree:

sddinnh
08-30-2014, 06:36 AM
Knots is also almost universal in american aircraft airspeed indicators and specs. Although some of the older ones read in mph, most of the newer ones read in knots. It would be nice if the whole world could settle on one system of measurement and one language, but I don't see that happening :gaah:

SNOOPY
08-30-2014, 06:45 AM
The way we are going, we'll all be speaking Chinese or Arabic soon. :shocked:

jcthorne
08-30-2014, 07:44 AM
1.21 gigawatts, Bob? What the hell is a gigawatt?

1000 megawatts

and before you ask, 1 megawatt is 1000 kilowatts and so on.

So 1 gigawatt is 1,000,000,000 watts (1 billion). Not a measurement that is used often outside of hollywood. Even the largest power plants are in the 1500 megawatt range and no one calls them 1.5 gigawatts.

While we are on the subject of units, yes the whole world did the conversion some years ago but other than Soviet bloc nations, very few were able to do so completely. The UK and much of Europe still measure process piping and instrument tubing in inch sizes, Pressure ratings in ANSI or API psi rating classes, oil in barrels and much of the world still uses HP for engine power.

Here is a trivia question: How many gallons in a barrel? Trick question.......

Oldmanzues
08-30-2014, 07:55 AM
1000 megawatts

So 1 gigawatt is 1,000,000,000 watts (1 billion). Not a measurement that is used often outside of hollywood. Even the largest power plants are in the 1500 megawatt range and no one calls them 1.5 gigawatts.

While we are on the subject of units, yes the whole world did the conversion some years ago but other than Soviet bloc nations, very few were able to do so completely. The UK and much of Europe still measure process piping and instrument tubing in inch sizes, Pressure ratings in ANSI or API psi rating classes, oil in barrels and much of the world still uses HP for engine power.

What are you measuring ? Oil I think is measured in 42 gal barrels, other stuff in 50 gal barrels.
Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
08-30-2014, 08:00 AM
1000 megawatts

The Bakerman
08-30-2014, 08:07 AM
one gallon = .0317 barrels according to a conversion app that I have on my phone...unless you're talking about barrels of oil..that would be .0238

jcthorne
08-30-2014, 08:52 AM
A barrel of oil or oil products is 42 US gallons
A drum is 55 US gallons
A barrel of beer, wine, liqueur or other consumables is 31.5 US gallons
A barrel of dry goods such as grain, apples etc is 26.25 US gallons

And in case anyone wanted to know, a barrel of oil produces approx 19 US gallons of gasoline (and other petro products).

vided
08-30-2014, 09:44 AM
PLEASE STOP my head just exploded, and i'm not cleaning it up :yikes::yikes::banghead:

scrutineer
08-30-2014, 12:13 PM

1.21 gigawatts!!!

JkRbbt
08-30-2014, 12:59 PM
I just can't imagine some dude in a hopped up Pony car bragging about how many KILOWATTS he has under the hood! :D

cptjam
08-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Power requirements for the flux capacitor, of course.

Bob Denman
08-30-2014, 05:44 PM
I just can't imagine some dude in a hopped up Pony car bragging about how many KILOWATTS he has under the hood! :D

"Newton-Meters", doesn't do anyting for me either! :shocked: