PDA

View Full Version : Question for the "gun" people here

retread
08-28-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm considering getting some things to help me stay familiar with my carry pieces, and to try to get rid of some bad habits I've picked up from not being able to get to the range as often as I should.
Does anyone here have any experience with LaserLyte trainers? I have been to several dealers here that are on their website, but none of them have anything in stock. I like to try something before I buy, or at least get info from owners before I buy.
Thanks,

john

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Lasers may actually harm your skills... :yikes:
You end up looking for the dot, rather than concentrating on...

What? :dontknow:

The FRONT sight! :2thumbs:

Bfromla
08-28-2014, 06:02 PM
True ! Is more tacticool accessory, pitch black close range a red dot may help but range test & proper training cant be beat, look into,"front sight" training fore tips &tricks , very helpful fyi. & or just get the Judge! 410revolver & clear the hall! I get 20inch spread in 3foot with right rounds best home defense gun my opinion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 06:07 PM
The power available today in a legal compact laser are amazing.

http://www.wickedlasers.com

http://www.wickedlasers.com/krypton

Chas

jwulf74
08-28-2014, 06:10 PM
I like the idea of the laserlyte but haven't actually used one. It seems like it would be good as it will let you save ammo yet still use your own weapon for training and you can move the target around.

I have the crimson trace o 2 of my pistols, but I find that I do much better with the plain old iron sights when shooting live ammo.

But they are 2 totally different systems and used for different purposes.

For those that haven't seen them:
http://www.laserlyte.com/collections/laser-trainer-target

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 06:15 PM
They have come a very long way from key chain pointers...

http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic

Chas

DRAGN
08-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Hi All,
While you are looking for the laser, the Bad Guy will shoot you three times.
Please shoot 100 rounds a week for 6 months and forget about aiming.\Good Luck

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 07:24 PM
:agree: Kind of...
You need a pretty fair amount of range time, to work on your basic fundamentals.
Once you've got your stance, grip, sight picture, breath and trigger controls down; then you start working on speed techniques. :thumbup:

retread
08-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Okay, by way of explanation, LaserLyte trainers are NOT laser pointers, they have a system that uses barrel plugs, or cartridges, that emit a laser beam when the firing pin hits them. They have targets, including "cans" that react to the beams, and they have "pistols" that are made to match popular guns that have the lasers installed. So far, all I've seen are pictures, in their ads in American Rifleman and Shooting Illustrated, and on their website.
What I wanted to know was, does anyone have hands-on experience with the LaserLyte training system. I haven't been able to find any in my area, and don't want to drop 3 to 6 hundred bucks on something that won't do as advertised.

john

Bfromla
08-29-2014, 02:33 AM
$300-$600! ? Invest in proper training not a light show!

SNOOPY
08-29-2014, 07:07 AM
Okay, by way of explanation, LaserLyte trainers are NOT laser pointers, they have a system that uses barrel plugs, or cartridges, that emit a laser beam when the firing pin hits them. They have targets, including "cans" that react to the beams, and they have "pistols" that are made to match popular guns that have the lasers installed. So far, all I've seen are pictures, in their ads in American Rifleman and Shooting Illustrated, and on their website.
What I wanted to know was, does anyone have hands-on experience with the LaserLyte training system. I haven't been able to find any in my area, and don't want to drop 3 to 6 hundred bucks on something that won't do as advertised.

john

Ive seen much advertising on these. And agree it looks like great idea, especially since you can use it in your home or yard at anytime you want! No need to load up and go to your range and possibly wait in lines to shoot.

Could also be a nice way to get the wife and kids actively interested too. :thumbup:

bullant12
08-29-2014, 07:08 AM
On a lighter note regarding laser sights... they are a good training device.
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/31/how-gun-mounted-lasers-can-make-you-a-better-shooter/

But yes... I would rather go to the range and spend on a box of ammo using the normal sights.:firstplace:

SNOOPY
08-29-2014, 07:09 AM
He's not talking about laser sights. :gaah:

:roflblack:

bullant12
08-29-2014, 07:16 AM
I'm considering getting some things to help me stay familiar with my carry pieces, and to try to get rid of some bad habits I've picked up from not being able to get to the range as often as I should.
Does anyone here have any experience with LaserLyte trainers? I have been to several dealers here that are on their website, but none of them have anything in stock. I like to try something before I buy, or at least get info from owners before I buy.
Thanks,

john

Lasers may actually harm your skills... :yikes:
You end up looking for the dot, rather than concentrating on...

What? :dontknow:

The FRONT sight! :2thumbs:

True ! Is more tacticool accessory, pitch black close range a red dot may help but range test & proper training cant be beat, look into,"front sight" training fore tips &tricks , very helpful fyi. & or just get the Judge! 410revolver & clear the hall! I get 20inch spread in 3foot with right rounds best home defense gun my opinion

The power available today in a legal compact laser are amazing.

http://www.wickedlasers.com

http://www.wickedlasers.com/krypton

Chas

I like the idea of the laserlyte but haven't actually used one. It seems like it would be good as it will let you save ammo yet still use your own weapon for training and you can move the target around.

I have the crimson trace o 2 of my pistols, but I find that I do much better with the plain old iron sights when shooting live ammo.

But they are 2 totally different systems and used for different purposes.

For those that haven't seen them:
http://www.laserlyte.com/collections/laser-trainer-target

They have come a very long way from key chain pointers...

http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic

Chas

john

$300-$600! ? Invest in proper training not a light show!

With all this posted...

He's not talking about laser sights. :gaah:

:hun:

SNOOPY
08-29-2014, 07:20 AM
With all this posted...

:hun:

Exactly, everyone ran this off topic.

The opener is not asking about laser sights or pointers.

Try reading what he posted and gave links on. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-29-2014, 07:22 AM
I'm sorry; but I have to again state that there is absolutely NO effective replacement for learning what proper sight alignment looks like.
The laser will have you end up looking downrange for the dot, rather than keeping the sights aligned, and your eyes on a good sight picture...
(Sight picture: proper sight alinment; layed over top of the target...)

retread
08-29-2014, 07:36 AM
I am not interested in laser sights, and yes, I understand that LaserLyte makes some laser sights.
I AM interested in a training tool that uses lasers. The laser comes on momentarily when the trigger of the gun it is in is pulled. The laser being in the chamber of the gun, and aligned with the bore. By doing the "blink", it indicates where the shot would go, and can be used almost anywhere the targets can be set up.
I was hoping I could find someone here who had experience with this system, who could give me an idea of quality and others aspects of the system.

john

ChasCS
08-29-2014, 09:07 AM
I misunderstood your intended purpose, of this thread.

When you aim a laser at someone, intended target, they understand that you are already on target.
Green laser light, shows up way better than red ones, especially in broad daylight.

Chas

Cez
08-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks,

john

I can’t comment LaserLyte, but I’m using EOTech Beamhit 190. EOTech is more sophisticated system using a computer to provide the feedback, but the principle is the same. In my opinion dry firing with the laser is a great exercise developing muscle memory, correct sight alignment, breathing and trigger control. Of course you are missing recoil recovery and you can develop soft wrist habit. Overall, it’s great to have a short shooting session between supper and your favorite TV show. Just few minutes of practice every day will improve your technique more than visiting the range once a month.

Cez.

Magdave
08-29-2014, 03:02 PM
http://shop.scgunstore.com/product.laserlyte-lt9-laser-cartridge-532nm-intensity-3x-377-battery-33

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94200&d=1409342513 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3169&attachmentid=93428)

Looks cool to me I may pick up 9mm version.:thumbup:

SNOOPY
08-29-2014, 04:03 PM
http://shop.scgunstore.com/product.laserlyte-lt9-laser-cartridge-532nm-intensity-3x-377-battery-33

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94200&d=1409342513 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3169&attachmentid=93428)

Looks cool to me I may pick up 9mm version.:thumbup:

That is really cool :thumbup:

I'll take a 9mm also, need my address? Lol

Right now we're shooting plastic shot all over the yard, does nothing for actual gun training. :banghead:

Tanshanomi
08-29-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry; but I have to again state that there is absolutely NO effective replacement for learning what proper sight alignment looks like.
The laser will have you end up looking downrange for the dot, rather than keeping the sights aligned, and your eyes on a good sight picture...

One more time: you DO NOT SEE A LASER DOT with a laser trainer. They train you to do exactly what Bob so passionately advocated. Most use an infrared beam you can't even see. You pull the trigger and instead of a round going off, the target system shows you where a bullet would have hit. It is actually quite effective, because you get used to pulling the trigger without anticipating recoil and bang.

The only advice I have with the LaserLyte is their trainer pistol has a trigger pull that might be totally unlike your weapons. Get the laser inserts and train with the weapon you'll be carrying.

Tanshanomi
08-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Of course you are missing recoil recovery and you can develop soft wrist habit.

I have discovered that two different DAO pistols I own will FTE fairly regularly unless you give the trigger a firm, quick pull. Easing it back super slowly will cause stovepipes. A laser trainer doesn't get you in the habit of dealing with things like that.

SNOOPY
08-29-2014, 04:21 PM
I have discovered that two different DAO pistols I own will FTE fairly regularly unless you give the trigger a firm, quick pull. Easing it back super slowly will cause stovepipes. A laser trainer doesn't get you in the habit of dealing with things like that.

Can you explain what you just said to those of us that don't have a clue what you just said?

Magdave
08-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Can you explain what you just said to those of us that don't have a clue what you just said?

FTE= Fail to eject and that can cause a stovepipe if the shell starts to eject and gets caught pointing up when the slide comes forward. Some FTE do not eject at all and the next load will jam. DAO is double action only they have the same trigger pull every time. A Dual action usually has a hammer but it can be fired without the hammer pulled but the trigger pull after the first shot is a lot lighter and can be considered single action then (hammer pulled ready to fire )because the slide after the first shot cocks the hammer automatically. My P64 is like that I can pull the hammer or not as long as I have a bullet in the pipe. Police seem to be split on which to use.

SNOOPY
08-30-2014, 06:30 AM
Okay I understand that.

Never heard it called a stovepipe before. :shocked:

Bfromla
08-31-2014, 11:01 PM

Exactly what I meant , hope I wasn't misunderstood, but proper training! Can't be beat

M109Dreamer
08-31-2014, 11:12 PM
In a time of need, it will happen so fast the last thing you want to worry about is hitting a button for a laser, then hope the battery works for it. Just use a good set of Trijicon night sights and proper training and ALOT of practice time. Because when the ***** gets real, it will be over before you know it and the last thing your gonna worry about is some gee wiz laser.

I live in AZ so we have a VERY lax weapon laws here. When we ride, I usually open carry a full size 1911 .45 and the wife carries her .22 Sig.

But no matter what you choose, range time is key. Learning to draw, aquire, breathe and squeeze the trigger in the clothes and different positions doesnt matter for all the other gee wiz stuff that hits the market.

Gray Ghost
09-01-2014, 06:58 AM
As the OP has pointed out, he is not looking for a laser sight. A system like he is referring to is often used to supplement range time. The Army uses the Engagement Skills Trainer to help hone skills against moving targets, etc. It is basically the same thing he is looking at except the system also uses compressed air to provide recoil as well. But that system and the system that the OP is talking about require using good sight picture, etc.