PDA

View Full Version : Fly'n Brian McCray Passes On

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Wow, I just received an email with this, , , news.

1st photo, Brian McCray on the classic Desert Gold (5.13a) in Red Rock, near his Las Vegas home.
Photo courtesy of ClimbingResoles.com.
8/25/14 - Brian McCray, a prolific big-wall and free climber, and founder and operator of Fly'n Brian's Resoles, has passed away.
McCray first came to prominence at Seneca Rocks and the New River Gorge in West Virginia, where he was one of the leading free climbers and first ascensionists in the 1990s. Among his major new routes in the East: Proper Soul (5.14a), put up in 1997. He moved to Las Vegas in 1998.
McCray had a huge talent and appetite for climbing, and he applied it widely, from free climbs to big-wall speed ascents. Often partnered with Ammon McNeely, he did several important first one-day ascents on El Capitan, including Aurora, the Wall of Early Morning Light, and Atlantic Ocean Wall. In Zion National Park, where he sometimes worked as a guide, he did first ascents, speed ascents, and first free ascents of several walls. He also did many new routes and first free ascents in Red Rock, outside Vegas, including the first ascent of Sauron's Eye(5.10 R A4) on Rainbow Wall.

Second Photo by Kurt Burt Arend.

Climbing with Jim Bridwell and three other partners, McCray did a new route on the east face of Bear's Tooth in Alaska. He also climbed major new routes in Kyrgyzstan and Pakistan.
"He was such a good man, great climber, and terrific friend," said one close friend of McCray's. "I am in a state of shock."
The Las Vegas resident is suspected of having committed suicide.
A gallery of photos of McCray climbing can be found at his resoling website.
http://www.climbingresoles.com/history.html
Sources: Climbingresoles.com, American Alpine Journal, various friends of Brian McCray

Chas

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Reading a few of the comments left at the climbing.com website...

Devastated to hear! We'll all miss you in Las Vegas.
Ed Forkos - 08/28/2014 4:05:37
As a climber who's home crag is the New River Gorge, this sad news literally hits home. Brian put up routes back in early 1990's that we're ahead of its time. He practically built The Cirque area on endless wall. He put up Satanic Traverses ( 5.12c/160ft/19 bolts ), Proper Soul (5.14) (which was the FIRST of that grade in the gorge and sharma later flashed and it was more recently climbed on gear), New Testament 5.12d, Norse Code 5.12d, graffiti 5.12a, Sloth 5.12c, Xanth 5.13b, High Yeller 5.13, losers weepers 5.13b/c, ride the lightning 5.13b, ragnarock 5.13b, mr. Mcgoo 5.12c, Brian's House of Cards 5.13+ AND HAS NOT HAD A REPEAT, hasta la vista 5.12c, live and let live 5.12b, blacklist 5.12d, Mental Block 5.12d, Block party 5.12a, chip off the ol block 5.12c, blockade 5.12b.Oh, And he did ALL of these ( with the exception of 3 done in 1997 ), first ascents in 1996. Brian was/is a legend here in the gorge alongside Doug Reed, Eddie Begoon, mike artz, porter jarrard, and many others. RIP Brian.
Bill Williams - 08/27/2014 5:03:23
A true climber's-climber with big talent in every arena of climbing. He usually had a big smile, was super psyched, and always interested in what you were doing as well. One of the fasted aid climbers ever. My condolences go out to his family and friends. Brian, you will truly be missed!
Lynn Willis - 08/26/2014 10:47:10
Sad to hear this, met Brian @ Fayettville ( NRG ) in 1996/ 7 we ( my wife & i) had come from India to climb on the East coast, got introduced to Brian and he opened his home to us and climbed with us..enjoyed his hospitality and easy going nature.. what a shocker to read this...Mo & Annie ( New Delhi - India ).
Mohit - 08/26/2014 5:16:03
Suspected? And one wonders why Climbing is a second rate magazine. How about treating those who aren't with us with a little respect? Thanks for offending and hurting Brian's loved ones with your callous tone and words, Climbing- we really appreciate it.
John W - 08/25/2014 11:42:20
RIP, Brian. We ended less friends than we began, I but think we understood one another well. You used to tell me you thought one of your climbing partners would kill you. Guess not. Anyway, you were the best climber I ever had the privledge of holding a rope for. See you on the other side. Gary
Gary Fike - 08/25/2014 9:41:20
Soo sad...
zach lee - 08/25/2014 9:39:29
wow... he was a true, all around STUD. Desert, sport, thin, wide, big wall, expedition. Wish I had met him.
Mark, Utah - 08/25/2014 8:30:01
My sincere condolences goes out to Brian's family and friends. He may have left this world as we know it but he has also left us with some of the best memories of our lives. He will be missed.
Ralph James - 08/25/2014 6:42:14
A star went out today. Good-bye, my friend. You were always a pitch ahead. See ya at the next belay.
Mike Gray - 08/25/2014 5:48:46
This is very sad. My sincerest condolences to Brian's family and friends. He always had a smile and a story whenever we saw him at Seneca and the New.
Elizabeth Erskine - 08/25/2014 4:04:10

Chas

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 06:04 PM
His surviving family is in our thoughts and prayers. :pray::pray: