PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Spyder Volume crackles/intermittent volume

SAPD911
08-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Okay, so for the last few months, I have had my radio crackling and the volume going up and down intermittently. Have a 2014 RTS. My settings and I checked them, were bass/level-5, treble/5, and the auto volume set to OFF. Took it today when they opened at 0900 (had an aptt). Technician took 1.5 hrs and then I see my bike was ready outside. Asked the service guy if they fixed it and he said that my volume level was set at HIGH and it was causing the stereo to play at high volume at cruising speed which thus caused my speakers to crackle and one may be distorted/blown due to me listening to the radio very loud. I then asked which speaker and another service person (not a technician) chimes in and says the left rear is blown. Really!

So he said the technician changed the Volume setting to LOW and took it around the block with no issues.

I called them out and said my settings were set to off as I checked it right before I turned it in for service. Had the technician come out and he related the same thing. So, I turned the radio on with the bike NOT running and sure enough the music crackles and then goes low then high intermittently. They had this look on their face like they knew they were WRONG.

Technician says "we have to call BRP", you probably need a reflash or a new amplifier. Anyway, left pissed, thanks for wasting my time today! Awaiting a call from the dealer, that was 1 1/2 hrs ago! End of rant!

I do not have anything aftermarket and no CB. Oh and I cant find my other thread I posted in, sry. Other than that the bike runs great, no issues.

SAPD911
08-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Dealer called BRP, BRP is aware of this issue and known problems have already existed. They are sending a replacement part that goes in the rear area of the bike. Not sure, module/amp who knows. Will know when it gets fixed next week and let you all know.

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Good luck! :thumbup:
So; was the left rear speaker blown, or not? :dontknow:

happyspyder2039
08-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Dealer called BRP, BRP is aware of this issue and known problems have already existed. They are sending a replacement part that goes in the rear area of the bike. Not sure, module/amp who knows. Will know when it gets fixed next week and let you all know.
i played with my settings & it seems like bass/treble if set above 3 crackles.

mtdoragary
08-28-2014, 07:52 PM
anxious to hear final results. not happy with my stereo either.

stevedfive
08-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Please let us know when you find out what was the cause. Mine is doing the same thing.

SAPD911
08-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Good luck! :thumbup:
So; was the left rear speaker blown, or not? :dontknow:

No speakers are blown. I'll let y'all know what they replace.

stevedfive
08-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks buddy

Bob Denman
08-29-2014, 06:52 AM
i played with my settings & it seems like bass/treble if set above 3 crackles.

:shocked: I'm the guy who normally wakes up the entire Town with mine... The 2010 used to get a bit distorted, but the speakers on the 2014 seem to just take it in stride, and keep on rockin'! :thumbup:

stevedfive
09-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Any update?

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-05-2014, 11:15 PM
:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:............My el-cheapo JBL's ( $100 for 4 ) will blow you off the bike .................Mikeguyver :thumbup:...........with the stock radio :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-06-2014, 07:21 AM
Soooo... What is it that you listen to, at such high volumes? :dontknow:
Unless it's Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, or AC/DC; why would you WANT to?? :roflblack: :joke:

vided
09-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Unless it's Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, or AC/DC; why would you WANT to?? :roflblack: :joke:

don't ypu mean, chuck berry, little richard, bodiddly, the killer, and all the other moldie oldies :clap::clap::ohyea::ohyea::yes::yes::yes:

vided
09-06-2014, 07:39 AM
but not so much this :banghead::banghead::banghead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv-LAbMbEn4

Bob Denman
09-06-2014, 07:56 AM
don't ypu mean, chuck berry, little richard, bodiddly, the killer, and all the other moldie oldies :clap::clap::ohyea::ohyea::yes::yes::yes:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif "Malt Shop music" doesn't do well at high volume; it sours the ice cream! :roflblack:

vided
09-06-2014, 08:16 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif "Malt Shop music" doesn't do well at high volume; it sours the ice cream! :roflblack:

:yikes::yikes: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-06-2014, 09:26 AM
:yes::yes::yes::yes:.......​Anything ...even classical.............especially 1812 overture or better yet " Flight of the Valkyrie " :2excited::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

vided
09-06-2014, 09:34 AM
:yes::yes::yes::yes:.......​Anything ...even classical.............especially 1812 overture or better yet " Flight of the Valkyrie " :2excited::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

good sounds :clap::clap:

Bob Denman
09-06-2014, 02:34 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbl ack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::r oflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
I LOVE classical Music; it's GREAT for napping!! :D

SAPD911
09-12-2014, 05:13 PM
part is in, waiting on an aptt. Next week/Thursday. Will let yall know then. They said it was a part that goes in the back area and its called a radio module! Rode it today and it was horrible, up down up down volume. BRP said they r aware of this problem. I am assuming others have had this same issue. Oh and I don't have a garmin GPS or a cd radio hooked up.

Bob Denman
09-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Well; at least the fix is in the works! :D
Good Luck; please let us know what happens next! :2thumbs:

SAPD911
09-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Okay, finally got it repaired under warranty. They replaced the right side radio module. Works great. Now I just need to replace the speakers with some better ones.

ChasCS
09-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Okay, finally got it repaired under warranty. They replaced the right side radio module. Works great. Now I just need to replace the speakers with some better ones.

There are many great deals here, but not much for on the go...

Don't know if they carry many mobile units yet... ;-)

http://www.higherfi.com

But the prices will blow you away... ;-)

Chas

kool rider
10-25-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm having same problem on my 2014 RTL. Radio worked fine for three months. Last week speakers made a snapping sound when I turned the key ON and OFF. Then crackling started when I turned volume up. Called dealer and taking it in next Monday. I will check the radio settings first. Anxious to hear if your new part fixed the problem.
Okay, so for the last few months, I have had my radio crackling and the volume going up and down intermittently. Have a 2014 RTS. My settings and I checked them, were bass/level-5, treble/5, and the auto volume set to OFF. Took it today when they opened at 0900 (had an aptt). Technician took 1.5 hrs and then I see my bike was ready outside. Asked the service guy if they fixed it and he said that my volume level was set at HIGH and it was causing the stereo to play at high volume at cruising speed which thus caused my speakers to crackle and one may be distorted/blown due to me listening to the radio very loud. I then asked which speaker and another service person (not a technician) chimes in and says the left rear is blown. Really! So he said the technician changed the Volume setting to LOW and took it around the block with no issues. I called them out and said my settings were set to off as I checked it right before I turned it in for service. Had the technician come out and he related the same thing. So, I turned the radio on with the bike NOT running and sure enough the music crackles and then goes low then high intermittently. They had this look on their face like they knew they were WRONG. Technician says "we have to call BRP", you probably need a reflash or a new amplifier. Anyway, left pissed, thanks for wasting my time today! Awaiting a call from the dealer, that was 1 1/2 hrs ago! End of rant! I do not have anything aftermarket and no CB. Oh and I cant find my other thread I posted in, sry. Other than that the bike runs great, no issues.

stevedfive
10-26-2014, 10:59 AM
The orginal new CB (535) install on my 14' was qondeeful, awesome in fact. Intercon was crystal clear and CB had a half to mile range. However, it started to static and I took it for repair. Dealer discovered that the make coax connector on the CB module was broken. BRP advised them to change our the entire system with latest version (611). Well it works but not like the other one. It's disappointing to say the least.