PDA

View Full Version : OMG did you see this today

cuznjohn
08-27-2014, 05:29 PM
http://pix11.com/2014/08/26/9-year-old-girl-shoots-kills-gun-instructor-at-shooting-range/

spyder3
08-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Awful tragedy....

spacetiger
08-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Saw it on the news this morning; perhaps his 1st young girl he instructed and he didn't suspect she'd loose her grip with the left hand... and forgot how the gun pulls to the side.

Tragic indeed.

Jerry

Bob Denman
08-27-2014, 07:01 PM
:agree: A senseless tragedy... Our prayers go out to all of those that were involved... :pray::pray:
As an Instructor; I'm appalled that anyone would put a fully-auto into the hands of a child... They lack the hand strength and capacity to fully understand just what the firearm is going to do under those circumstances.
..22s... yes...
Much beyond that, and you end up with a little girl who'll never forget what happened... :shocked:

Senseless...

spydaman60
08-27-2014, 07:08 PM
:agree: the poor little girl will never be the same. psychologists and counceling will only prolong the memory of the event! so sad!!:pray::pray:

ChasCS
08-27-2014, 07:21 PM
My thoughts, even if a little harsh. Well, the idiot that handed her the loaded weapon, got what was coming to him. Not!!
This is how accidents usually happen, isn't it? An innocent well meaning intention, turns tragic. Who's fault is it really, the kid? Yeah Oh my, how tragic. WTF. Not a question. Stupidity.

There are no children in firearm safety programs.
There should be no small weak children handling heavy duty firearms. Girls boys none, never.

Hand your car keys to the tots too? Why not...

Let them shoot arrows...
But please Use your common sense.
Another waste of a life, and of my time discussing it. YMMV! So feel free to differ.

Chas

SNOOPY
08-27-2014, 07:26 PM
My thoughts, even if a little harsh. Well, the idiot that handed her the loaded weapon, got what was coming to him. Not!!
This is how accidents usually happen, isn't it? An innocent well meaning intention, turns tragic. Who's fault is it really, the kid? Yeah Oh my, how tragic. WTF. Not a question. Stupidity.

There should be no small weak children handling heavy duty firearms. Girls boys none, never.

Let them shoot arrows...
Another waste of a life, and of my time discussing it. YMMV! So feel free to differ.

Chas

I agree, no reason this kid should have had that type weapon. :(

Princeau99
08-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Most gun ranges I go to do not allow rapid fire due to recoil creep. Fully auto with a 9mm? may be hard for a lot of people to control.

ARtraveler
08-27-2014, 07:59 PM
I am guessing we are going to have some interesting banter on this thread.

My only comment, what were the parents and the instructor thinking? The child needs to know how to fire an UZI because...?

Some things are better left to older persons.

Bob Denman
08-27-2014, 08:21 PM
The trick to the UZI...
...is the compact size! :shocked:
It makes it pretty tough to keep that short barrel downrange, when "rock& roll" mode has been chosen.
:gaah:

Chupaca
08-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Why on earth they would let a 9 year old shoot an UZI...:pray:'s go out to all involved going to be rough...

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-28-2014, 07:42 AM

Let them shoot arrows...

Chas

who the hell would give a little kid a gun much less an automatic!?
i want to know what the nra will say about something like this, will they defend the childs right to use an automatic , smoke & drink perhaps while driving a large gas guzzling suv on the way to the range.

bullant12
08-28-2014, 07:52 AM
I agree with teaching children at a young age about gun safety and introducing them on how they work . I can see starting at that age (9) using an air rifle or a small caliber rifle. But an Uzi?!?!?!:banghead:
What really got me was the press stating that no charges were not going to be filed on the girl... can somebody even explain WHY the press had to release that statement if they already reported it as an accident and even showed the video?!?!?! Just the trauma the girl and both families have to endure is tragic enough!

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 08:05 AM
who the hell would give a little kid a gun much less an automatic!?
i want to know what the nra will say about something like this, will they defend the childs right to use an automatic , smoke & drink perhaps while driving a large gas guzzling suv on the way to the range.

The NRA is about protecting the individual's right to own firearms; when legally allowed to do so.
It is a right that carries with it; :lecturef_smilie: a tremendous responsibility!
Just because something can be done; doesn't mean that it's wise to do it.
That's pretty much true with everything about your entire life.
It applies even more to firearms, because when things go wrong; it makes Page 1. :shocked:
Fully automatic firearms are not the problem here; it's the lack of common sense used by the people who should have been watching over that little girl.
In Arizona; you can do this; that's not true here in Noo Yawk... :shocked: (Sullivan Act...)

bullant12
08-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Fully automatic firearms are not the problem here; it's the lack of common sense used by the people who should have been watching over that little girl.

:agree:That is basically what starts creating problems and issues, not only with firearms, but most anything in life.
Common sense is almost a super power: not many people don't know how to use it.

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 09:51 AM
I didn't know that it was normal practice to have young, very young children on live firing lines. But apparently the NRA, does condone and even promotes safe gun lessons for American youth.

The problem with the topic at hand, the girl had no prior training it seemed. The family were on a driving vacation, and happened upon the shooting range that also taught kids and would allow very small children be taught the correct and safe methods of handling weapons.
So they foolishly allowed a rank amateur, this kid with no previous experience a loaded machine gun and let her pull the trigger. Unknowing what could go wrong. It was an accident ready and waiting for the right opportunity to go very wrong. Yes it's a tragedy, but it could have been easily prevented too. Someone in authority should have had a hand on the weapon, at all times.

It was sad for me, to see all the little girls on there last night, with their pink assault rifles...
I am all for safe gun practice, and if children are taught the safety and dangers of guns, perhaps there will be less tragedy from accidental firings in the future. But they are advancing way too fast, for the ages of them students. IMHO

Chas

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Please Google the NRA's "Eddie Eagle" program...
I taught it for years, and the message is VERY clear!
:lecturef_smilie:
Stop
Don't Touch
Leave The Area
Tell An Adult!

ahh-cool
08-28-2014, 02:20 PM

Let them shoot arrows...

Chas
I agree with everything you said except for "he got what was coming to him".
That's a little drastic

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 02:32 PM
I agree with everything you said except for "he got what was coming to him".
That's a little drastic

And you left off the all important "Not!"
How come the omission, does it help make your statement valid?

I said it was harsh, up front, Good man.
By the way, Have You taken the firearm safety courses, and passed like I have, with 94% and 98% respectfully. Both restricted and non restricted firearms programs. Hands on, I got one question wrong in both, and still felt bad .
I know my firearms very well, and even though a valuable life was lost, a more valuable lesson was taught nation wide. The whole first world listened. Probably not worth the loss, to wake up a nation. But if that's what it takes to get you thinking clearly, so be it.

I didn't hand her the loaded weapon, nor did I pull the trigger, and yet you want to vent on me? Hahaha, what about her father?

Chas

NoLmtz
08-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Just saw the video... what a tragedy for that little girl... the emotional and psychological scars will never leave her. But I can only pray that this is part of the Lords journey for her, who knows what kind of good can shape out of this tragedy for her in her future.

Now, I live in Texas where it seems everyone has a gun and the hospital hands them out to newborn babies... not really, don't get excited! But with all the variety of exposures everyone is having to weapons (i.e. video games, TV, movies, zombie stuff, etc.) people are getting numb to what they really are... tools that can inflict the worse kind of damage. It seems everyone wants a gun because they are 'cool' but without proper training you can get deadly hurt!

So, is it tragic for the instructor, yes, sort-of... he knew the risks and/or was not experienced enough to know the physiological restrictions that exponentially increase the risks when a CHILD is using a fully-automatic weapon. And the range owner said what he had to say to protect himself, but I think this incident is stupid and reflective of the insensitivity to the extreme violence guns can and should be used.

And don't even get me started on these concealed carry courses... you've got yahoo's from all over going to a 1-day course and can now carry weapons, thinking they are the next savior to a terrorist attack. Unless you've had military training or go through a 4-week course I don't think you should be able to carry. 1-day doesn't get you any experience in target acquisition and gun control in high stress environments... it gets you dead... you have 4x the chance of dying than someone without a gun because when you pull yours out to issue justice, guess what... you're now the target for the bad guy!

So, long winded diatribe about how society is exacerbating stupidity through lack of common sense and legal limits, bringing down the overall collective IQ. I feel horrible for this little girl and pray good comes out of it, but I feel sorry for the instructor and the parents for not having the common sense to think a 9 yr old with a fully automatic weapon could lead to problems.

Woohoo, I'm shooting zombies!!!:yikes:

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 02:53 PM
I bet she joins the military, or helps find peace as an officer of said...

Heck of a life lesson, hope she still has a proud papa?

Chas

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Shooting Zombies? I've got a Tee-Shirt for you! :D

mxz600
08-28-2014, 04:06 PM
This is tragic. What ever happened to common sense? Everybody involved in this showed very poor judgement. Still, no one deserved to die.

But as all the gun control nuts come out of the woodwork, remember one thing. Cell phones are more dangerous than guns, especially to us bikers.

http://www.examiner.com/article/cell-phones-are-more-dangerous-than-guns

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 04:14 PM
I can see her future...

The CheyTac Intervention is an American bolt action sniper rifle manufactured by CheyTac LLC for long range soft target interdiction. It is fed by a detachable single stack magazine, which holds 7 rounds. It fires .408 CheyTac or .375 CheyTac ammunition. CheyTac papers state that the entire system is capable of delivering sub-MOA accuracy at ranges of up to 2,500 yards (2,300 m), one of the longest ranges of all modern-day sniper rifles.

It is based on the EDM Arms Windrunner.

★ Manufacturer: CheyTac LLC
★ Weight: 31 lb (14 kg) without scope (M-200),
★ Length: 53 in (1.34 m) (stock extended), 46¾ in (1.18 m) (stock collapsed) (M-200)
★ Barrel length: 29 (73.7 cm) in standard w/ 1:13 twist (M-200), 26 in (66 cm) optional.
★ Cartridge: .408 Chey Tac or .375 Chey Tac
★ Action: Bolt action
★ Effective range: 2000+ m - M-200
——2000+ m - M-200 Carbine
——1500+ m - M-200 CIV (Civilian)
——1800+ m - M-310 SS (Single Shot) )
——1800+ m - M-310 R (Repeater)

★ Feed system: 7-round detachable box magazine
★ Sights: Day or night optics

RECORDS
The Intervention holds the world record for best group at a distance, landing 3 bullets within 16⅝ inches (42 cm) at 2,321 yards (2,122 m) near Arco in Idaho.

On the Discovery Channel TV show Future Weapons April 9, 2007 episode “Massive Attack” the host Richard Machowicz, a former United States Navy SEAL, made 3 out of 6 shots hit a human sized sheet of metal at a distance of 2,530 yards (2,313 m) at Arco Pass in Idaho.

ACCURACY
CheyTac asserts in its Information Paper of 13 November 2006 that “the CheyTac LRRS is a solid anti-personnel system to 2,000 yards (1,830 m). The primary intent of the .408 is as an extreme range anti-personnel system. Groups of 7–9 inches (18–23 cm) at 1,000 yards (914 m), 10 inches (25 cm) at 1500 yards (1372 m) and 15 inches (38 cm) at 2,000 yards (1,829 m) have been consistently obtained.

Groups of 19 inches (48 cm) at 2,100 yards (1,920 m) and 29 inches (74 cm) at 2,400 yards (2,195 m) have also been obtained. All groups that are up to 3,000 yards (2,743 m) are less than 1 minute of angle for vertical dispersion.

Bang bang, lots of it.

Chas

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 04:52 PM
:shocked: But... what if you just want to hunt some deer? :dontknow:
(Did some 600 yard shooting at high-power matches... I was surprised at just how good an M1 Garand is at those distances! :thumbup:)

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 05:16 PM
There's a new sport in some towns...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGgEFOD8Jlo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/02/drone-hunting-shooting_n_4372769.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/17/colorado-town-concerned-about-surveillance-considers-drone-hunting-licenses/

Chas

retread
08-28-2014, 05:39 PM
The first question I would ask; why was this "instructor" standing beside the girl? One of the first things I learned at the range, NEVER stand beside a shooter. Generally, behind and to the side where the weapon is held is the place to stand.
According to some friends of mine with much better eyes, the selector was in the semi auto position when the session started, and somehow got moved. At any rate, handing an inexperienced person an automatic capable weapon with more than 1 round in it isn't the best idea in the world.

john