PDA

View Full Version : Starting up your Spyder while parked on a hill

Questions
08-27-2014, 12:56 PM
I had a new situation today. I was parked on a slight slope, nothing much, but the parking break was needed to hold it in place.

When I tried to start the bike after the usual procedures, it wouldn't start. I checked everything over, removed and replaced the key a couple of times, still no luck. Though I would be stuck.

But, then I put my foot on the brake, and bingo, started right up.

Does the Can Am have a built-in sensor that is telling it the bike is on a slope, and that the rider needs to have his foot on the brake before starting?

finless
08-27-2014, 12:58 PM
You were probably in gear not neutral. The Spyder does start with the parking break on but will not start if it is in gear unless you put your foot on the break (SE5 model anyway SM5 is different).

Bob

ChasCS
08-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Just one more of the marvelous safety features we All enjoy... ;-)

Isn't it a fun learning curve?

Just Curious, why wouldn't you have your right foot on the brake already?

Happy trails...

Chas

Bob Denman
08-27-2014, 01:24 PM
When in doubt....

...put your foot on the brake. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-27-2014, 01:40 PM
It sounds like you figured it out. They (:spyder2:'s) are fun. :roflblack:

Questions
08-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Best quote of the day... "When in doubt, put your foot on the brake." :thumbup:

Well, it worked, so I have no more to say than. "Thanks for the sage advice."

:opps::joke: <- Me

Dudley
08-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Seems like another situation where the Spyder owner never read the Owner's Manual. Been on this forum since 2008 and there is always someone to amaze me. A sensor to tell you that the Spyder is parked on a SLOPE! Seriously????

billybovine
08-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Seems like another situation where the Spyder owner never read the Owner's Manual. Been on this forum since 2008 and there is always someone to amaze me. A sensor to tell you that the Spyder is parked on a SLOPE! Seriously????

Don't be so hard on the new folks. At least when it would not start the OP did not try and put oil in it. :roflblack::roflblack:

Spyder ri
08-27-2014, 03:04 PM
It's just a forum, not a whipping post.....

Questions
08-27-2014, 05:08 PM

Dudley, thank you ever so much for your articulate and eloquent addition, raising the level of discourse to new and sublime heights. I am sure each and every reader will take away a special feeling of heartfelt gratitude for your empathetic and enlightening words.

I do hope it made you feel better about yourself, for clearly that was its singular intent.

billrob71
08-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Think if you didn't know this is the place to ask, we're not sure which bike you have and maybe you have a bike WITHOUT a manual that you couldn't look it up. With SM5 as long as the bike is in neutral you don't need to touch a thing , turn key and hit the button SE5 have a few more steps .

SO AGAIN if you have any questions ask away, most of us will try and help you!

Dudley
08-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Hey, the truth tickles a bit doesn't it. If an owner reads the manual, then still doesn't understand something, I will be glad to try and help. I have read this kind of input for a long time and maybe I sound a little harsh, but it's still the truth. The manual has a vast amount of information to help a new owner get familiar with this wonderful machine called a Can Am Spyder. For some, the information is not too clear, to others it is very clear. This forum helps us all to become more informed. What is not clear to me is why people just keep posting things that are clearly an indication of never bothering to read the manual and expecting someone else to do it for them.

wyliec
08-27-2014, 06:59 PM
With SM5 as long as the bike is in neutral you don't need to touch a thing , turn key and hit the button SE5 have a few more steps .

Don't forget to hit the M button before the start button. Also, when I start my SM5 (especially on a hill and on the Spyder) I don't put it into neutral before I start it.

Something else to consider when parked on a hill is to turn and lock the handle bars. This way if the parking brake gives out and someone messes with the shifter, the spyder is less likely to go very far, especially if the front wheel is turned into the curb.

billrob71
08-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Don't forget to hit the M button before the start button. Also, when I start my SM5 (especially on a hill) I don't put it into neutral before I start it.

Yep the mode button needs to be pressed on either one before staring , and yes on a hill brake or e brake should be on.

Netminder
08-27-2014, 07:07 PM
It's just a forum, not a whipping post.....
:agree:I read my manual numerous times and am fairly mechanically inclined as I was in the auto body business for 15 yrs, but hope if I forgot something I read that people would help me out ,as someone said this forum is for just that! I think if your comments are not helpful, why post them? JMHO.

Bob Denman
08-27-2014, 07:10 PM
I agree with Billybovine & Spyder ri; There aren't any stupid questions... just some answers that might need a bit more explaining; that's all! :2thumbs:
I've put my foot in my mouth so often; folks are starting to think that i've got a foot fetish! :shocked: (I don't...)
If you're new to the bike; it's pretty easy to get turned-around a bit on some of the procedures...

Princeau99
08-27-2014, 07:19 PM
:agree:I read my manual numerous times and am fairly mechanically inclined as I was in the auto body business for 15 yrs, but hope if I forgot something I read that people would help me out as someone said this forum is for just that!

I read the manual and still can barely operate the radio. I'm sure I will have lots of stupid newbie questions to ask when I attach an Ipod.

I will still ask because there are lots of helpful people on this site that help without busting a gut about my brain farts.

Ex-Rocket
08-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Why is it that on almost every forum there is a select few people that always have something to say negative when somebody asks a question. I have read the manual several times but does it mean that I know everything that is in the manual, hell no, and don't pretend to either. So when someone asked a question please refrain yourselves from posting something negative. Like Bob said, there is no dumb question. So ask away.

SpyderBandit
08-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Seems like another situation where the Spyder owner never read the Owner's Manual. Been on this forum since 2008 and there is always someone to amaze me. A sensor to tell you that the Spyder is parked on a SLOPE! Seriously????Hey Dudley, :bowdown:ever heard of valium? I used to rebuild locomotives and some things about my Spyder make me scratch my head.Give the guy a break!

Bob Denman
08-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Let's cut him some slack as well... :thumbup:
Anybody can have an "Off-Day"... :shocked:

rgk
08-27-2014, 08:14 PM

There is no reason to be rude...

finless
08-27-2014, 10:01 PM
I deal with RTFM all the time. There are many times I get frustrated with some folks. Take a deep breath and help. There was a day when you did not know certain things and someone helped you! Pay it forward!

There are no stupid questions as long as people are willing to answer them!

Group hug folks.....

Personally if your not going to post anything constructive, why post?

Bob

Dudley
08-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Whip it on me folks. Some of you can't even read what I wrote and understand what I am trying to point out. So why should I even try.

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Some (many) folks do have thinner skin. So being polite is often a better way to approach, expressing your pleasure. We aren't all blessed with the ability to read, & for some, that may be a real stretch. ;-)
I wish there was a free PDF Owners Manual.

But using the foot brake on a hill take off, is common practice on most any bike though...

Chas

Chupaca
08-28-2014, 12:51 AM
you should have your foot on the brake when you start it just in case. Good habit to get into. No different than cars that will not go into park if you don't put your foot on the brake. Glad you found the solution before folks here jump all over you..good job..:2thumbs:

Bfromla
08-28-2014, 01:17 AM
Done same thing myself then figged i missed stepping on break, was in rush, checking pockets, adjusting helmet, all the above, it happens, glad u figged out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ttc
08-28-2014, 04:54 AM
I've only just got my spyder, and only just joined, and this is the first thread I read.
I'm a bit concerned.. If I ask a newbie question are people like this Dudley person going to be nasty straight up? It is rather off putting :(

OJ UK
08-28-2014, 05:47 AM
I've only just got my spyder, and only just joined, and this is the first thread I read.
I'm a bit concerned.. If I ask a newbie question are people like this Dudley person going to be nasty straight up? It is rather off putting :(

No worries luv! There are all sorts on these forums. The vast majority of the people here will be very happy to help a lady in distress!
Can I assume you've been over to http://www.spydermates.com/forum/ which is hosted just around the corner from you? I believe they've got a ride out planned
in September........They're a great bunch!

PM FOR YOU ttc!

Netminder
08-28-2014, 06:21 AM
you should have your foot on the brake when you start it just in case. Good habit to get into. No different than cars that will not go into park if you don't put your foot on the brake. Glad you found the solution before folks here jump all over you..good job..:2thumbs:
:agree:Good habit to start from the beginning! Just like shutting the Spyder off with the kill switch rather then the key. Once you do it a few times it becomes second nature!:doorag:Happy riding everyone!

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 06:50 AM

:welcome: :nopic: :2thumbs:

billybovine
08-28-2014, 08:40 AM
I wish there was a free PDF Owners Manual.

There is a free PDF version of every Owners Manual available for download from BRP's web site.

http://www.brp.ca/spyder/owners/guides-and-information.html

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Yup! I use my version of it all of the time... :thumbup:

MidTNDawg
08-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Whip it on me folks. Some of you can't even read what I wrote and understand what I am trying to point out. So why should I even try.

people do not know what you meant?

maliamd
08-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Too much DRAMA!!! There seems to be too little "nice" in our world today.

wyliec
08-28-2014, 09:23 AM
people do not know what you meant?

Maybe I read into Dudley's post too much; I found it a little funny because there are so many complaints about the spyder having to many sensors (supposedly for our own good) and now someone (the OP) mentions a new one to have.

Was Dudley a bit harsh? Not for me; but, it appears he was for a majority of others. Remember, this is my opinion and I am allowed to have it.

Dgjason
08-28-2014, 09:33 AM
When I picked up my spyder 6 weeks ago the salesman, who was a previous can am manager from another location, could not start my spyder in order to go thru the new owner spyder introduction. He went inside to get help from service. Yup...you guessed it. He forgot to push the brake. Can happen to anyone. We all know that the spyder has some unique starting requirements.

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Remember, this is my opinion and I am allowed to have it.
:gaah: :lecturef_smilie: I take exception to your remarks! ;) :D:roflblack: :joke:

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 10:49 AM
There is a free PDF version of every Owners Manual available for download from BRP's web site.

http://www.brp.ca/spyder/owners/guides-and-information.html

Hi,
Yeah, thanks for the link, but been there and done that before.
http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=e&s1=8ce628f4-9eec-4fe5-892a-58710e8efbba&brands=roadster&type=og&_ga=1.143808819.725551225.1409240512

Well, this is how far I got, as it won't open further than this. Never had before either.

Perhaps I should fire up the HP, But that would defeat the purpose of the PDF file.

I will need to pull the manual out of my Frunk and give it a thorough going over again. ;-)

Yup! I use my version of it all of the time...

What are you viewing, the files on, Tablet or Computer?

Chas

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 10:53 AM
The owner's manual... I downloaded a copy of it into the 'puter! :thumbup:

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 11:03 AM
I could do the same thing, but I actually wanted a mobile copy, aside from the hard copy in the bike. PDF files are great to click back and forth to specific pages.
And if you store a copy on a USB thumb drive, you can often get copies printed at Staples or Office Depot. With spline and covers, makes referencing much easier and more fun.
Some companies, only include a DVD manual copy, and it is up to you to print it off.

Chas

billybovine
08-28-2014, 11:03 AM
It works on my Windows computer, BlackBerry tablet and BlackBerry phone all using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Yes, I have dozens of my PDF manuals on my iPad already. When you open a file for the first time, it offers you a couple of different apps to utilize it. I usually load them files into both.

For some unknown reason, these will not open, for me. Oh well.
Thinking, it could be a popup blocker that I have enabled... Need to do some configuring.

Chas

NovaSpyder
08-28-2014, 11:11 AM
I use mine on my iPad, have it on the iPhone too. Nice and portable.

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 11:14 AM

Nice to meet another smiling face.
No, we won't jump on you. That was a freak incident. Rare in these forum threads.

Enjoy your time spent here, and many happy trails.

Chas

Bob Denman
08-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Yes, I have dozens of my PDF manuals on my iPad already. When you open a file for the first time, it offers you a couple of different apps to utilize it. I usually load them files into both.

For some unknown reason, these will not open, for me. Oh well.
Thinking, it could be a popup blocker that I have enabled... Need to do some configuring.

Chas

Good Luck! I hope that you can get it up and running soon! :2thumbs:

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 11:17 AM
It's strange behavior. There is no reason that it should stall, but yet it does?
There must be an easy fix, for this annoying glitch.

Chas

NovaSpyder
08-28-2014, 11:30 AM
It's strange behavior. There is no reason that it should stall, but yet it does?
There must be an easy fix, for this annoying glitch.

Chas

Chas, PM mw if you would like me to send the pdf in an email. I know that does not resolve your issue but at least you will have the file.

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Chas, PM me if you would like me to send the pdf in an email. I know that does not resolve your issue but at least you will have the file.

PM Sent. Well yes, if it will open, it certainly does resolve my issue.

Thank you. Mucho gracias.

Chas

Ronbo
08-28-2014, 06:01 PM

A "DISLIKE" button to hit for your post, so I had to type it

vided
08-28-2014, 07:30 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hibtZPMF9D0

mtdoragary
08-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Mine won't start at ALL without my foot on the brake!