PDA

View Full Version : DESS ERROR ON SCREEN WONT START

bookboy
08-26-2014, 09:35 PM
ON A recent trip I had frequent occasions when DESS ERRER came up on the screen when I tried to start my 2014 RT limited. Sometimes a picture of a key would also come up and the engine wouldn't start. The problem became increaseingly worse and I had to call emergence Road service and have my Spyder taken to a dealer. The Dealer was courteous and tried to be help but couldn't find the cause. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? Bookboy.

Highwayman2013
08-26-2014, 09:57 PM
There has been some ignition switch problems

sddinnh
08-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Yah, I've got and ongoing problem with that. Sometimes if I turn it off and turn it right back on, it'll go. Other times if I take the key out and put it back in, it'll go. The dealer re-programmed my keys, but it threw another one while I was on the Gaspe. The dealer says if it continues, he's going to replace the ignition so I guess that's the direction I'm heading in now.

Chupaca
08-26-2014, 11:51 PM
take it to the dealer and they should change the ignition switch. Call first and make sure they have one...:thumbup:

Spyderal11
08-27-2014, 05:44 AM
This past Sunday mine would not start, I was in Wis. dealer there put the computer on it and it showed there was no key in it so they changed it out and I came back to Mo. When I called my dealer to get its 3,000 mi. done they told me it would probably happen again that BRP thinks it is in the software but hope to find it soon my dealer has had several in the last couple of weeks. And while I was in Wisconson a gentleman told me he had just had his replaced and already was getting the orange key so was taking his back to be checked out, hope they find it soon before I head to spyder in the smokies.

Cal777
08-27-2014, 07:21 PM
About 3 weeks ago on the way home from Pigeon Forge I stopped for gas and when I tried to start it up I got the key symbol and DESS. I took the key out and walked away 3 times before it let me start it. I didn't cut it off until I got home and took it to my dealer the next day. He said it showed that the key and the ignition weren't communicating. He had to order a new ignition and it cured the problem. 2014 LTD by the way.

ulflyer
08-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Same with mine; happened last week. Buds hookup didn't show any problem, but dealer said if it happens again, let them know. I've already had the ignition replaced once.

As mentioned above, its beginning to look more like a computer glitch rather than faulty ignition.

james68
08-29-2014, 07:13 AM
It's the antenna that's built in the ignition and is not reading your key BRP Said dealership to replace ignition switch and gave me two new keys no problem cents

neelbert
03-08-2015, 07:01 PM
How do I pull up the codes thanks

roddyhelen
09-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Having the SAME problem on my 2015 Spyder RTS I cannot get my machine started. Does anyone know how I can get the machine to start so that I can take it to the dealership. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billybovine
09-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Having the SAME problem on my 2015 Spyder RTS I cannot get my machine started. Does anyone know how I can get the machine to start so that I can take it to the dealership. Thank you

Turn the key off. Wait 30 seconds and then try again. Repeat. Also move everything away that has a strong radio signal such as a cell phone.

roddyhelen
09-20-2015, 11:30 AM
I have tried all the above STILL will not START

billybovine
09-20-2015, 11:32 AM
I have tried all the above STILL will not START

What does it say on the screen?

roddyhelen
09-20-2015, 11:42 AM

Does this help? Thank you

roddyhelen
09-20-2015, 11:43 AM
It only has 574 miles on it!

roddyhelen
09-20-2015, 11:45 AM
I have tried both keys! Multiple on/off etc. etc. thank you!

billybovine
09-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Keep that picture for proof with the dealer. Depending on how far away from the dealer you are. You should have free towing as part of your warranty.

roddyhelen
09-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Yes I have free towing, it's just so frustrating! Don't want it damaged in towing as well! Errrrrr lol

yudydude
09-22-2015, 07:39 AM
I had the same problem with my 2014 RTL a couple weeks ago. Finally got it started and immediately took it to the dealer. Turned it off at the dealer and sure enough, as the tech was looking at it the DESS came on. They had to order a replacement switch module and new keys for me. Took a couple days, but haven't had the problem since. Hope this fixes the problem.

WALTER1960
06-04-2016, 11:00 AM
What a surprise this morning when I went to start my spyder DESS error on display. tried many times started ones then back to DESS error. call dealer common problem with ignition module . has to be replace

billythekidd
06-04-2016, 08:05 PM
I posted in another thread that my dealer reprogramed the keys and I had not had a problem in 7k miles. Well last week on a 7 day trip just outside of Zion park shut the bike off while my friend got gas.....Low and behold DESS error. Would not start no matter what I did. Pushed it out of the way and went and had dinner, came back and started no problems. The rest of the trip it started with no further problems...I don't know what the problem is, but I have not had any parts replaced and do not believe parts are the problem since some folks say they have had the parts replaced multiple times and still get the error. Never had the problem on the 11 or 12, only on the 14. On a side note I now have the warped rotor problem (which started on this trip as well) getting kind of tired of things going wrong. I have just over 19k so rotors should not warp... It is the right one just like numerous other people have reported... Dealer (2 different ones) says it is a wear item. Ordered from Ron, trying to get away from the BRP crap. On a good note I averaged 42mpg on a 2k plus trip.

Deanna777
06-04-2016, 09:06 PM
take it to the dealer and they should change the ignition switch. Call first and make sure they have one...:thumbup::agree::agree::agree: The ignition Switch is UNDER WARRANTY.

I had my ignition Switch replaced on Aug 28th, 2015 part # 710004413, the same time I had the( 2nd) D.E.S.S. module replaced. Since then I have not had the D.E.S.S. error show up. Deanna

Deanna777
06-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Yah, I've got and ongoing problem with that. Sometimes if I turn it off and turn it right back on, it'll go. Other times if I take the key out and put it back in, it'll go. The dealer re-programmed my keys, but it threw another one while I was on the Gaspe. The dealer says if it continues, he's going to replace the ignition so I guess that's the direction I'm heading in now. I have had the ignition Switch replaced once( Aug 28th, 2015) and my dealership reprogrammed both keys, and gave me a new trailer lock. Since then I have not had the any issues.

The part # for the Switch is 710004413. I have a 2014RTS-SE6. I have a thread going " D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!" about what the my dealership did. The thread is 17 pages long.

The Switch is UNDER WARRANTY. Deanna

Deanna777
06-04-2016, 09:23 PM
ON A recent trip I had frequent occasions when DESS ERRER came up on the screen when I tried to start my 2014 RT limited. Sometimes a picture of a key would also come up and the engine wouldn't start. The problem became increaseingly worse and I had to call emergence Road service and have my Spyder taken to a dealer. The Dealer was courteous and tried to be help but couldn't find the cause. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? Bookboy.I have a thread going " D.E.S.S KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! started on 8/13/15. The thread is 17 pages long, it has some excellent information about the D.E.S.S. error.

The D.E.S.S. module is UNDER WARRANTY. Also have your dealership OPEN UP A CASE WITH BRP.

Have your dealership replace the D.E.S.S module, do not back down. Be sure your dealership has the D.E.S.S. module before you leave your spyder with them. Please post on the thread that I have going. Keep us posted. Deanna

Deanna777
06-04-2016, 09:31 PM
This past Sunday mine would not start, I was in Wis. dealer there put the computer on it and it showed there was no key in it so they changed it out and I came back to Mo. When I called my dealer to get its 3,000 mi. done they told me it would probably happen again that BRP thinks it is in the software but hope to find it soon my dealer has had several in the last couple of weeks. And while I was in Wisconson a gentleman told me he had just had his replaced and already was getting the orange key so was taking his back to be checked out, hope they find it soon before I head to spyder in the smokies.The D.E.S.S. module is UNDER WARRANTY.

I have a thread going "D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! that I started on 8/13/15. The thread is 17 pages long, and with a lot of excellent advice to take to your dealership. Also It has some suggestions on what you can do to get your spyder started. I have had my D.E.S.S. module replaced twice, and the ignition switch replaced once. I have not had the D.E.S.S. error show up yet.
Deanna

Deanna777
06-04-2016, 09:34 PM
About 3 weeks ago on the way home from Pigeon Forge I stopped for gas and when I tried to start it up I got the key symbol and DESS. I took the key out and walked away 3 times before it let me start it. I didn't cut it off until I got home and took it to my dealer the next day. He said it showed that the key and the ignition weren't communicating. He had to order a new ignition and it cured the problem. 2014 LTD by the way.What was the part # for the ignition switch?

What was the part # for the D.E.S.S Module?

Deanna

Craigger_T
06-30-2018, 06:01 PM
I posted in another thread that my dealer reprogramed the keys and I had not had a problem in 7k miles. Well last week on a 7 day trip just outside of Zion park shut the bike off while my friend got gas.....Low and behold DESS error. Would not start no matter what I did. Pushed it out of the way and went and had dinner, came back and started no problems. The rest of the trip it started with no further problems...I don't know what the problem is, but I have not had any parts replaced and do not believe parts are the problem since some folks say they have had the parts replaced multiple times and still get the error. Never had the problem on the 11 or 12, only on the 14. On a side note I now have the warped rotor problem (which started on this trip as well) getting kind of tired of things going wrong. I have just over 19k so rotors should not warp... It is the right one just like numerous other people have reported... Dealer (2 different ones) says it is a wear item. Ordered from Ron, trying to get away from the BRP crap. On a good note I averaged 42mpg on a 2k plus trip.
A note on warped rotor problem: I was having serious vibration from my front tires, right front extreme. Have had the rotor replaced, and the second one was starting to act the same. Tried rebalance, lots and lots of ceramic tire beads, the vibration was only gone when the tires were cold. Replaced with Kuhmo car tires, 175/55 15's (have a Kuhmo on the rear already) and vibration is gone, and the brake is back to normal! That tire was going so out of shape when it warmed up it changed the shape of the wheel! Those stock tires are crap!
My wife's '14 ST-Limited is having the DESS error. I suspect it had been jump-started at a dealer. Never had the problem, not even once, until it sat at a dealer for two weeks with a week battery. Have had the problem ever since.

wd8ajj
06-30-2018, 08:28 PM
It still amazes me that with the 1000's of posting about the crappy OEM tires that BRP still uses them. Guess they don't believe there customers or think there all dopes or something worse. Wish the NTSA would make them recall them all but with the company not in the US, guess they can get way with crap.
Maybe now with the US office open we should be sending all the bad tires to them and let them handle it!
Would be interesting to see how many Spyders out there or at least on this board are still running the OEM tires and who dumped them. Numbers would tell the story. Just an Idea.

UtahPete
06-30-2018, 11:42 PM
It still amazes me that with the 1000's of posting about the crappy OEM tires that BRP still uses them. Guess they don't believe there customers or think there all dopes or something worse. Wish the NTSA would make them recall them all but with the company not in the US, guess they can get way with crap.
Maybe now with the US office open we should be sending all the bad tires to them and let them handle it!
Would be interesting to see how many Spyders out there or at least on this board are still running the OEM tires and who dumped them. Numbers would tell the story. Just an Idea.
Do you have anything useful to say about the DESS error or are you just bored?