PDA

View Full Version : We're Making Progress...

Bob Denman
08-26-2014, 09:46 AM
... And the Missus is starting to breathe a bit easier! :D
First: we had disaster and destruction! 93940
Now; we're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. :thumbup:
Now; as long as there's not onrushing train behind the light... I might just survive this ordeal! :ohyea:

Chupaca
08-26-2014, 10:01 AM
might make the steps a bit wider...:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-26-2014, 10:10 AM
They're filling that stuff in right now... :thumbup:
I hope! :shocked:

ARtraveler
08-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Thank you for the update. Was wondering how it was going. :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
08-26-2014, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't have thought to brace it to the wall.

I'm glad you're getting it done!

Bob Denman
08-26-2014, 02:45 PM
:D She ain't killed me yet... :D :thumbup:
It looks as if I might even get to try it out tonight!! :yes:
More pics in the morning.

I knd of like the cantilevered design... :2thumbs:

jcthorne
08-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Curious as to why the landing is cantilevered out from the foundation rather than footings and posts at the outer corners. The cantilevered design places very large tension loads on the existing joist at top of foundation. It also could be a bit 'springy' when standing at the top of the stairs. Remember the landing is not designed to support a single person, there could be several or even a delivery guy with a large appliance or other delivery. Steps and landings should never have significant deflection. The loads applied to the existing framing are pretty large, it better be attached with a lot more than nails. Think LARGE bolts through to crawl space with backing plate so they cannot pull through or crack the joist or ledger board. Don't see the advantage here unless there was some overriding concern with the posts/footings.

Sorry, its just the structural engineering in my background coming out...

wyliec
08-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Curious as to why the landing is cantilevered out from the foundation rather than footings and posts at the outer corners. The cantilevered design places very large tension loads on the existing joist at top of foundation. It also could be a bit 'springy' when standing at the top of the stairs. Remember the landing is not designed to support a single person, there could be several or even a delivery guy with a large appliance or other delivery. Steps and landings should never have significant deflection. The loads applied to the existing framing are pretty large, it better be attached with a lot more than nails. Think LARGE bolts through to crawl space with backing plate so they cannot pull through or crack the joist or ledger board. Don't see the advantage here unless there was some overriding concern with the posts/footings.

Sorry, its just the structural engineering in my background coming out...

I'm glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing. Maybe price and how it would be used were factors?

Bob Denman
08-27-2014, 09:24 AM
That's how he did it... :2thumbs:
I've never seen a house put together like this Monkey-Puzzle...
Instead of a sillplate, the foundation (12" thick) has an inset on the top of the poured concrete. The sills are nailed to wooden inserts in that 8" thick top section; one outer, and one inner. He went through the entire shooting match with bolts and backers.
Here's a couple of more shots of the porch.
Now; he's just got to add the finishing touches to it! :D

We're really happy with the job done on the stone wall. The contractor is training a "Kid", for this kind of work, and we think that he did a bang-up job! :clap:
...And he's only 14; but put in a full day's work each day while he was here! :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
08-27-2014, 09:36 AM
What did he put under those 4x4 posts at the top of the stairs? Are they buried in the ground?

i like that they put the stacked rock wall back.

Bob Denman
08-27-2014, 10:21 AM
You betcha! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1/1_4_137.gif :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
08-27-2014, 10:24 AM
What did he put under those 4x4 posts at the top of the stairs? Are they buried in the ground?

i like that they put the stacked rock wall back.
Those posts sit on top of a rock, which is on top of packed pea gravel. :D

That "new" part of the stone wall replaces a concret block wall... We were concerned about how all of it would come together; we now feel as if we can breathe a sigh of relief! ;)

PrairieSpyder
08-27-2014, 11:49 AM
. . . we now feel as if we can breathe a sigh of relief! ;)

That's good. I think some shrubs or flowers behind the wall will look nice. Glad you got it all done!

Bob Denman
09-04-2014, 10:40 AM
9462494625 The Missus is happy, t and Tink is happy; so I'm happy! :D :2thumbs:
We just have to slap some paint on it in the Spring...

PrairieSpyder
09-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Looks good, Bob! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-04-2014, 11:58 AM
:D She's happy... I'm not getting yelled at! :thumbup:
Well; at least not for this! :shocked: :D

ARtraveler
09-04-2014, 01:23 PM
The project is looking good. :thumbup::thumbup:

mowin
09-04-2014, 01:26 PM