PDA

View Full Version : THE RATTLER Route 209

900Dave
08-25-2014, 03:50 PM
We just spent a few days riding in North Carolina, Tennesee & North Giorgia. One of the routes on the top of our list was to ride the Rattler. We ended up buying t shirts from 2 different locations. SO which one is correct. The one on the left or the one on the right. The one on the left was purchased at a shop in hot springs and the one on the right at from someone selling out of a trailer at the southern end of 209.

We did not notice until that evening when we pulled them out of the Frunk. I think the shirt on the left would be more accurate.:dontknow:

ARtraveler
08-25-2014, 03:54 PM
We just spent a few days riding in North Carolina, Tennesee & North Giorgia. One of the routes on the top of our list was to ride the Rattler. We ended up buying t shirts from 2 different locations. SO which one is correct. The one on the left or the one on the right. The one on the left was purchased at a shop in hot springs and the one on the right at from someone selling out of a trailer at the southern end of 209.

We did not notice until that evening when we pulled them out of the Frunk. I think the shirt on the left would be more accurate.:dontknow:

Interesting differences. The answer may be found by looking up a travel guide source on the net. Bottom line, most people are not going to notice any difference--they don't read the fine print. What counts is you were there and got to drive it.

Chupaca
08-25-2014, 03:57 PM
I see a return trip in the making. You will have to go back set your trip to "0" and count the turns...:roflblack::roflblack: Then make your own T-shirt..:roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-25-2014, 04:56 PM
:agree:
Just don't lose track of the count, or you'll have to repeat the ride... (As often as is necessary, to get it right!) :D

rnet
08-25-2014, 07:17 PM
We have our own Rt 209 here in New York, but ii's nicknamed Ho Chi Mihn Trail.

pwm
08-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Neither

http://www.209therattler.com/

StanProff
08-25-2014, 07:59 PM
The Rattler (209 to hot springs from Maggie Valley is a good ride. I've been on it many times on my way from Greeneville Tenn. to Maggie valley. I have a decal on my spyder and it looks like the one on the left. there is a store/market that sells the Rattler items At the intersection of 209 on the maggie valley side. At least it was the last time I was through there. There was another restaurant/store about a third of the way in. Seems there was some competition in the beginning as to what the nick name of the road would actually be and the type of logo that would come out on top. Maybe it is still not settled. Regardless it is a great ride.

900Dave
08-25-2014, 08:57 PM
The Rattler is a good ride. The first thing we noticed was the 55mph speed limit through out. There are area's that you can "relax" . Some longer strait sections. I found it not as challenging as the Dragon. If you are riding the Rattler on a 2 wheeler you need to be really cautious as there are many corners with spalls & small stones in the center of the the road. This road was also well traveled by locals in trucks, cars & SUV's.

Bob Denman
08-26-2014, 06:55 AM
Between the Rattler, and The Tail of The Dragon; I have GOT to find a way to escape South for about a week... :gaah: :thumbup:
Ron's right: Our 209 is exciting, but for all of the WRONG reasons! :yikes:

bullant12
08-26-2014, 07:29 AM
We did the Rattler last year during the Owner's Event, which is not far from Maggie Valley.
Can't say which info is correct, but I can tell you it is more exciting than the Dragon itself.

Bob Denman
08-26-2014, 07:35 AM
:shocked: You're makin' my palms sweat... :shocked:

Marker
08-26-2014, 07:51 AM
I have another version of the Rattler T-Shirt
When I rode the Rattler in May2014 I bought my T-Shirt from Ferguson Supply at The Fines Creek Cafe'

We were not sure what was official merchandise , we just tried to buy a good quality T-Shirt that was a souvenir from riding the rattler.
I also found a patch to sew on my vest.

Oldmanzues
08-26-2014, 09:08 AM
I have another version of the Rattler T-Shirt
When I rode the Rattler in May2014 I bought my T-Shirt from Ferguson Supply at The Fines Creek Cafe'

We were not sure what was official merchandise , we just tried to buy a good quality T-Shirt that was a souvenir from riding the rattler.
I also found a patch to sew on my vest.
You beat me to it with this shirt I do not remember which group, but it was a group ride and we stopped at the store a couple

Pirate looks at --
08-26-2014, 09:33 AM
We have a pretty good ride out here on the California coast. From San Louis Obispo to Leggett California. About 500 miles (you have to take a detour through San Francisco) and I don't know how many turns maybe a million, but you can't beat the scenery, and the weather is cool and the view unmatched. Highway 1 is awesome, the only drawback is some slow moving traffic. :yes:

flamingobabe
08-26-2014, 09:38 AM
when riding the Rattler, Hwy 209 be sure and include Hwy 63 on the southern part...good ride

pwm
08-26-2014, 09:49 AM
We ride both the Dragon and the Rattler often since we live here. My favorite is the Devils Triangle (http://devilstriangletn.com/) and Cherohala Skyway (http://www.cherohala.com/).

Oldmanzues
08-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Between the Rattler, and The Tail of The Dragon; I have GOT to find a way to escape South for about a week... :gaah: :thumbup:
I do not think a week straight would allow you to cover all the great roads in that area. 421, blue ridge to add just a couple. To add to sweaty palms go to Grahamcountytravel.com. It is a local travel bureau or at least was the last time I was down there.
Good luck
Oldmanzues

900Dave
08-26-2014, 04:04 PM
We ride both the Dragon and the Rattler often since we live here. My favorite is the Devils Triangle (http://devilstriangletn.com/) and Cherohala Skyway (http://www.cherohala.com/).

We did the Cherohala on the way to the Dragon. We actually stayed on rte 28 south of the Dragon and took the long way around and rode from the north back down 129. I missed the whole devils triangle ride, maybe next time. I only had 3 days of riding.

Pennyrick
08-26-2014, 04:12 PM

And while you are here don't forget the Sidewinder that is 31 miles of 215 curves.

You're gonna have some fun! (sorry it's sideways but the sidewinder was running away)

StanProff
08-26-2014, 04:20 PM
I do not think a week straight would allow you to cover all the great roads in that area. 421, blue ridge to add just a couple. To add to sweaty palms go to Grahamcountytravel.com. It is a local travel bureau or at least was the last time I was down there.
Good luck
Oldmanzues

We are lucky to have great mountain roads in the area I live in, Another one to put on your list is "The Snake" which is unusual as it has 3 different directions to go. Elizabethton Tenn. to Shady Valley, Bristol Tennessee To Shady Valley, Mountain City tenn. to Shady valley. The Snake is Highway 421
I believe. Along with The Snake we have of course the Dragon, The Rattler and never forget the Blue Ridge Parkway (470 miles of beautiful senic mountian roads from Cherokee N.C. to Waynesboro Va.

clueless
08-26-2014, 05:43 PM
We did the Rattler last year during the Owner's Event, which is not far from Maggie Valley.
Can't say which info is correct, but I can tell you it is more exciting than the Dragon itself.

Whats our patch say Erick?

dont have my vest here at work ...

Earl

PS Found the picture ... 290 curves in 24 miles according to the road sign at the start of the Rattler

Deanna777
08-26-2014, 06:04 PM
The Rattler RTE 209, Tail of the Dragon, Devils Triangle, Cherohala skyway, Sidewinder, Blue Ridge Parkway are all on my Bucket list.

We have are own "Tail of the Dragon" here in Vermont that is RTE . 113, ( in Chelsea to Berkshire) and RTE 17, from Waitsfield to Bristol, and RTE. 108 Called the Notch from Stowe to Jeffersonville( sometimes Truck Trailers get stuck near the top, and in the Winter RTE 108 is Closed. Deanna :ohyea:

maliamd
08-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Interesting true story about the Rattler. Up unto a few years ago 209 was just that 209. Some women in the local government in the area realized that it would be a smart marketing move to name the twistie stretch of US 209 (this stretch starts about 9 miles or so south of Hot Springs). They realized that "naming" a stretch of road brings tourists as well as provides an opportunity to sell merchandise. It is my understanding that the Rattler is the twistie section of 209 (about 9 miles) not the entire route from Lake J. to Hot Springs. Most of US 209 is a gentle road going through valleys and farmlands NOT challenging twisties like the Dragon. The Tail of the Dragon is far more challenging than the Rattler but the Rattler is a more scenic ride. :clap: