PDA

View Full Version : Break in

pwpalmbay
08-25-2014, 05:49 AM
I made it to the BRP recommended break in pt of 600 miles for my 2013 ST. Where did they come up with that mileage? Seems a little low to me.

claychaser
08-25-2014, 05:55 AM
Greetings and welcome, looks like you have a new Spyder! The 600 mile mark is the first oil change / look under the hood, check things out time. Your Spyder is NOT broken in! I have a 2013 ST-L and at 5000 miles it is broken in. I notices a bit difference in the motors willingness to rev and produce horsepower in those 5000 miles. So, go to the dealer, get the oil changed and so forth, and enjoy the rest of the break in period. Things have already begun the process of breaking in, and you will see progressive improvement as time goes on!

Dan McNally
08-25-2014, 06:04 AM
I made it to the BRP recommended break in pt of 600 miles for my 2013 ST. Where did they come up with that mileage? Seems a little low to me.

Seems low as compared to what? A Rotax engine is a high RPM engine and in those 600 miles, the engine turns a lot more times than the engine in your car or truck . . . I suspect the engineers at BRP who design the engine may know a thing or two about it. Notice that the break in period for the much slower turning 1300cc in-line 3 is 3,000 miles.

High RPMs = faster wear . . . JMHO

Bob Denman
08-25-2014, 06:48 AM
:agree: The engineers decided on that mileage for a reason, and I see little to be gained in questioing it... :shocked:

...Unless you're designing and building your own bike next! :D

Gray Ghost
08-25-2014, 08:36 AM
According to Yamaha maintenance sheets all their Star and street bikes use 600 miles as a break in. I looked at some of the Kawasaki, Suzuki, and BMWs, all had a 600 mile break in period. HD used 1000 miles for their Big Twin engine. So the 600 for the Rotax engine is not an unusual thing.

TomD
08-25-2014, 09:12 AM
From a Canadian point of view...up here my first service was 1000 kms. This roughly converts to 600 miles.

Chupaca
08-25-2014, 10:49 AM
all the parts are bench tested...motor is built put on a bench started reved up run through the gears then drained and installed. Most other parts as well. Now they do not road test them so those 600 miles is the shake down and they want to make sure everything is working properly. Changing oil and filters so all particles are out and you can then run it like a scalded ape...if for some reason there is a problem this would be the time it would occur. We are, as it would seem, the test pilots as you are in pretty much all you buy unless you buy used. :thumbup: