PDA

View Full Version : Shelved Harley-Davidson Trike Prototypes

ChasCS
08-23-2014, 02:19 AM
These bikes were looking very promising...

Several years ago, drawings of a trike on a patent application by Harley-Davidson appeared on the Internet. The drawings depicted a leaning trike – a vehicle with a suspension system that allows leaning while cornering, just like motorcycles do. Recently, it turned out that Harley even made several prototypes of the mysterious leaning trike. The prototypes, powered by a 45-degree air-cooled V-Twin engine, were produced under the code name Penster and designed by legendary custom car builder John Buttera.

The photos with the orange trike show the final prototype from 2006, while the burgundy trike is the early prototype from 1998. The prototypes are now displayed in the Harley-Davidson museum.

Chas

den1953
08-23-2014, 05:39 AM
It's parked in the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee. Personally I think it could've been the perfect platform for the V-Rod engine instead of the old school air-cooled motors.

reissooz
08-23-2014, 06:54 AM
This kit will be available in spring 2015 for approximately $5000. It has been showing up in MC shows in WI (i believe it's made in Waukesha). It's had very mixed reviews - I personally think it needs a lot of "tweaking", but it's definitely a cheaper alternative.

http://scorpiontrikes.com

den1953
08-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Looks cool to me although I see nothing there to indicate that it leans other than using three motorcycle tires. I still think that is the best use for the V-Rod motor.

ARtraveler
08-23-2014, 01:42 PM
The pictures have been around for sure.

Think of the fun we could have with the "Harley Spyder" crowd. :roflblack::roflblack:

Magdave
08-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Many individuals and companies have tried to perfect leaning trikes however nobody had been able to accomplish this. There are several reasons for this. For one lean angles are limited so once you hit the maximum lean angle you simply can't turn any sharper. Second is the fact a true leaning concept requires special engineering to eliminate bump and many other linkage related issues. The overall cost of a conversion would be three to four times that of a more practical flat cornering build.
Also there is the idea of using hard narrow MC tires. contact patch is not as good as CT's nor is ride as good as CT's normally run at 12-17 psi and MC tires must run much higher pressures due to heating problems associated with running normal low pressures.

On top of all this the real question is Why? If you need to lean buy a standard two wheel motorcycle. A three wheel leaner is just a lot more expense and mechanics to do what a normal motorcycle already does. Leaning trikes are a novelty but currently impractical and for the most part unmarketable. (Subject to change in the distant future)

Ever wonder why people never ask a person who owns a standard wheels back trike "does it lean" nor do they ask the question of a person in a car, truck, or any other motor vehicle yet it is the most common question asked of a person on a wheels forward trike.

This being said I like CanAm, HD and several others also have a patent on a leaning trike, mine being somewhat different is concept though. Like theirs mine will probably never go to market unless technology makes it an affordable alternate.

In my expert opinion flat corner trikes and autos are the current build and the new "hot" items like Elio, Slingshot and Endeavor. Tested and proven to be safe and sporty.

http://youtu.be/EIsJz81b6_g

NM Wrench
08-23-2014, 03:33 PM
93723 Here is the trike as it sits in Milwaukee! When I worked at Harley's Talladega Test Facility in Alabama we tested this trike for 1 week and Harley's senior leadership decided to shelve it and we shipped it back to Milwaukee.

Bob Denman
08-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Kits are available right now...

http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

I saw one at Americade; back in June...

Rockwall
08-23-2014, 06:41 PM
I think it's cool. Too bad they are not on the road.

dndfindley
08-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Many individuals and companies have tried to perfect leaning trikes however nobody had been able to accomplish this. There are several reasons for this. For one lean angles are limited so once you hit the maximum lean angle you simply can't turn any sharper. Second is the fact a true leaning concept requires special engineering to eliminate bump and many other linkage related issues. The overall cost of a conversion would be three to four times that of a more practical flat cornering build.
Also there is the idea of using hard narrow MC tires. contact patch is not as good as CT's nor is ride as good as CT's normally run at 12-17 psi and MC tires must run much higher pressures due to heating problems associated with running normal low pressures.

On top of all this the real question is Why? If you need to lean buy a standard two wheel motorcycle. A three wheel leaner is just a lot more expense and mechanics to do what a normal motorcycle already does. Leaning trikes are a novelty but currently impractical and for the most part unmarketable. (Subject to change in the distant future)

Ever wonder why people never ask a person who owns a standard wheels back trike "does it lean" nor do they ask the question of a person in a car, truck, or any other motor vehicle yet it is the most common question asked of a person on a wheels forward trike.

This being said I like CanAm, HD and several others also have a patent on a leaning trike, mine being somewhat different is concept though. Like theirs mine will probably never go to market unless technology makes it an affordable alternate.

In my expert opinion flat corner trikes and autos are the current build and the new "hot" items like Elio, Slingshot and Endeavor. Tested and proven to be safe and sporty.

The Piaggio MP3 500 scooter seems to have it worked out. Of course the two front wheels are very close together so that may have something to do with it. I would not want one but don't know why that front end system couldn't be used on a more powerful motorcycle.

ChasCS
08-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Looks cool to me although I see nothing there to indicate that it leans other than using three motorcycle tires. I still think that is the best use for the V-Rod motor.

Have a look at the last pic I included?

It clearing shows the way it would or should react in a turn.

Chas

Chupaca
08-25-2014, 04:21 PM
seems there all trying to better the best. If you want to lean then get one of the no end of two wheelers. As I see it you will loose a lot of the safety features and the fun with an incredible machine. Jmo but it is fun to watch...:roflblack: