PDA

View Full Version : Boiling gas? Loose gas cap?

taxmyzer
08-22-2014, 07:12 PM
I have a 2013 RT-S and I've noticed when I stop to fuel up the fuel cap has gotten loose. I'd like to know if the boiling gas pressure could cause this to happen and if so perhaps this why a strong smell of gas or fumes leading to fire. Perhaps those with more technical know how can chime in.

Dragonrider
08-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Since ETOH has a low boiling point, I have been wondering if our cruddy gas is the real culprit... I wonder if anyone who has experienced the 2013 boiling gas issue has changed to non-ETOH gas?? Did the problem go away??

I have heard about a batch of bad gas caps, but have yet to hear that the gas pressure in the tank had loosened the cap. That would be a difficult thing mechanically.

coz
08-22-2014, 08:17 PM
when i first got the updated gas cap ( from bob denman, not brp ) i only clicked it two or three clicks, and found it very loose several times. since then i give it a quarter turn past when it starts clicking. haven't found it loose since.

taxmyzer
08-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Yesterday after having new Kuhmo rear tire installed:ohyea: the tech looked at my gas cap he determined it to be defective, so he installed a brand new one. I decided to ride around the mountains of upstate New York before heading back home to Long Island. Had a lot of fun riding around the Ashokan reservoir and Mohonk mountain house area. It was about 3pm when I decided to head home so stopped to get gas I lifted the seat but could not get the cap off:banghead:. Had two bars on the gas meter so I rode back to dealer tech had to break the cap to get it off. Since, he didn't have another one he took the cap off their demo which he knew was good and put it on mine:yes:. BRP needs to get a better supplier for their gas CRAPS!:lecturef_smilie: So far I'm happy with the new rear tire hope to get lots of mileage out of it. The OE kenda had just over 9,600 miles I could've probably gotten another few hundred miles on it but why chance it.

Dragonrider
08-26-2014, 08:36 AM
I'm still really curious about the ETOH in the gas as the real culprit for the boiling gas issue(s). I don't know anyone with a 2013 - anyone with the boiling gas issue tried changing to non-ETOH gas??

:popcorn::popcorn:

Magdave
08-26-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm still really curious about the ETOH in the gas as the real culprit for the boiling gas issue(s). I don't know anyone with a 2013 - anyone with the boiling gas issue tried changing to non-ETOH gas??

:popcorn::popcorn:

I have been using 93 pure gas for 1000 mi. Last fill up ( the first time I have ever let the low gas light come on) at 150mi on the tank it was boiling and kept boiling all the way to full I could see it in the fill hole bubbling. I have done the gas tank wrap and it has helped a bit but obviously both together do not stop the boiling. I do notice a little less gas smell at shut down though some...but not like stock. I do get 3mpg better mileage from Pure gas:thumbup: I did also have one instance of the cap being stuck. All I did was push down hard and give it a little elbow grease and it came off. No problems since. If you go to take the cap off and it is clicking STOP and push down hard. When I put the cap on I only let it click 3 times no more than that.

Dragonrider
08-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info - I was afraid that was too simple....