PDA

View Full Version : The Basic styles of Motorcycles

Lamonster
08-22-2014, 09:39 AM
The reason I post this is because we are not all the same, we don't all like the same style of riding or we prefer one over another. Me, I've always been a cruiser/muscle bike guy. The GS/RS was the first Spyder and it was more of a sport style. What was the first thing I did to it?, made it more of a cruiser by adding highway pegs and risers. I wanted my feet out in front of me and my bars pulled back more. I did what I had to do for me with what I had to work with.

Soon after I started adding stuff like cruise control and gps and tunes. Then the RT came out and it pretty much did everything I had done but 10 times better. The thing is I loved the front but hated the rear. It looked too much like a BMW or Goldwing to me. Now I did get use to it but never loved it. I hated and still do to this day hate the side loading bags. My RS had Corbin top loading bags and that's the way to go IMHO.

So then the ST comes out and I trade the RT in for that thinking it would be the best of both worlds for me and my riding style. I think if Corbin could have gotten the bags to market a little quicker I would still be on a ST. I love the looks of the ST but never fell in love with the ride.

So then the 1330 RT comes out and I'm loving the lack of heat issues I had with my ST, the power of the 1330, the add traveling range for trips and the fact that motor is just not working that hard and should last well pass the 100K mark. Once again I really like it but my roots are still with the cruiser/muscle bikes.

So now we get a peak at the new F3 and it's all me baby. This is the Spyder I wanted all along. The forward controls put my posture right where I'm most adapted for. The bars are fully adjustable and not fixed like the cast bars. You're sitting in the bike and not on it. The cool factor is through the roof on this Spyder and I've been showing my biker friends pics of it and the first words out of their mouth 9 times out of 10 is "That's BadA$$!". Not one of them said anything about how ugly the nose is, in fact they all like it.

So the fact is this Spyder is not for everyone, that's a good thing, in fact I'm happy some of you hate it because I don't want something that everyone loves. I want a ride that I love first and if you like it that's fine, if not that's fine too. This Spyder makes my heart thump when I see it in it's stock form and I have visions of what it's going to look like when I'm done with it. Now I have a Spyder that's 90% there for me and the other 10% is just making it my own. :doorag:

Pulled this off of http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm

The Basic styles of Motorcycles

- Standard/Naked/Traditional/Muscle Bike/Commuter (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm#Standard)
- Cruiser/Custom/Choppers/Muscle Cruiser (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm#cruiser)
- Sport Bike/Crotch Rocket/Super Sport/Hyper Sport (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm#sportbike)
- Sport Touring/Performance Tourer/Cruiser Tourer (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm#tourer)
- Touring/Luxury Touring (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm#luxury)
- Dual Sport/Dual Purpose (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm#dualsport)
- Dirt Bike/Off-Road Bike (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm#dirtbike)

Bob Denman
08-22-2014, 09:49 AM
After all; If we all thought alike, there'd be too many of you chasing my Missus! :D

Mcubed45
08-22-2014, 09:52 AM
:agree:

JkRbbt
08-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Lamont,
I agree with just about everything you say. Most comfy bike I had for touring was a H/D Deuce! Clean, sleek and comfortable (for me)! I love the idea of sitting IN the machine instead of ON it! The F-3 does have a "bad ass" factor. But, I bought a 2013 in good faith and have been watching that situation continue to head south. Confidence in BRP is not high! I wish I could be as excited as you, but once burned (pun), twice shy! So get out there and beta test this thing! :D I'm waiting in the wings for positive feed back before I spend another wad o' cash on another BRP experiment! Also, I am eagerly waiting for the farkle catalogue to see what can be done with those pretty orange bones! Hope this is everything you seem to be excited about! Best o' luck!

MarkLawson
08-22-2014, 10:02 AM
The F3 is the first time I've seen a non-tour package that I thought I'd like to ride. Looking forward to getting my eyes on one that is not in a picture!

SDM
08-22-2014, 10:16 AM
When I first saw the bike, I do admit, I thought it was fugly and said so.:dontknow: The coverings prevented me from seeing the full picture. Now that the coverings are gone, I do like the way it looks.:firstplace: Still think the front looks like a riding lawn mower but that's ok, I like riding lawn mowers!!! Would miss side saddle storage and back trunk but the front looks like it would make up for it, storage wise. Also, it's aggressive as H:cus:!!! If someone saw that behind them they would probably try to get out of the way as quickly as possible!!!:doorag: I would also like the fact that it has the fully adjustable handlebars as standard equipment. Being an older rider I would probably have some issues with no back rest but that would probably be available as an option. I would love to demo it like I did with the 2014 RT I did earlier this year.:yes: That would probably be a fun 6 weeks! :thumbup: I can't wait to see what goodies you come up with on your new bike! Like all the others you have done, your F3 will become the epitome of Bad A:cus: Spyders!!!:bowdown: 93662 Have fun with it and know that I and lots of other SpyderLovers are looking forward to the becoming!!!

Fat Crip
08-22-2014, 10:31 AM
I've always been a fan of naked muscle bikes, but not, I'm afraid Harley's. So I love the tubular steel frame and exposed engine of the F3. I doubt I could cope with the cruiser style seating position though. But let's see how it goes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yamahog
08-22-2014, 11:00 AM
With a pizza box rear back rest it could become a great touring cruiser will have to wait and see :chat:

Chupaca
08-22-2014, 11:11 AM
but think of it...if we all like the same thing there would be just one roadster...:roflblack: Which one..?? :roflblack:

daveinva
08-22-2014, 11:14 AM
"The bars are fully adjustable and not fixed like the cast bars."

Ummm, don't recall that being officially confirmed before... Lamont, you're in troubbbbbbllllleeee :joke:

Bob Denman
08-22-2014, 11:17 AM
:shocked: Oh great...
NOW; he's gonna have to kill ALL of us! :gaah:

cptjam
08-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Variety is the spice of life! I have a couple of muscle cruisers, a touring bike and a sport touring bike. Like tools, each has a specific purpose. So, being in the mod savant brotherhood, I am all about turning sows ears into silk purses! How I roll, which is why Lamont and I see the potential. Sure, it needs bags, a wind shield, and a few other mods. But the platform is a great base to build on. Big motor, light bike. JMHO, Joe

Dizneyman
08-22-2014, 12:38 PM
I am feeling that Lamont was very much a part of the design team for this new model, and would like to thank him for the great work. I really love my 2011 RT-S, and never saw anything that would make me want to trade, or add until this week. I think BRP and Lamont hit a home run!

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-22-2014, 01:28 PM
i waited 5 years to get my rt-s, i will wait 25 years to give it up.

ARtraveler
08-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Different strokes for different folks is what makes the world go around.

Glad that I have been able to dabble in almost everything motorcycle since 1965.

40 + two wheelers, 80cc to 2000cc, UJM's, full blown touring rigs, even a Hondamatic, cruisers, and then two models of :spyder2: GS-RS and RT's. No ST and there will be no F3 in the future--but I am thinking that is going to be my loss. No Indian, F6B or Valkerie, probably no Slingshot, and probably no new whatsis's that will be popping up in the market.

So many models, so little time, and guess what, sometimes the money even runs out. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-22-2014, 04:40 PM
But that's why the Good Lord provided us with Platinim-plated credit ratings. :D

Bob Denman
08-22-2014, 04:58 PM
What style, would you use to categorize THIS one?? :shocked:
"Organic Free-Form"? :dontknow:

Yazz
08-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Fancy Rat Bike :thumbup:

reissooz
08-22-2014, 06:03 PM
I totally agree with the original post. I have loved the cruiser/muscle bike style since I started riding in the 80s. What I love about this style (F3) is the bike appears in motion even standing still, just like my v-rod. Sitting in a bike rather than on type makes you very much one with your bike, and I'm looking forward to taking one of these home, adding a few goodies, and putting on the miles. It lends itself to short trips as well as long tours with right set-up.

Oldmanzues
08-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Going from memory, I think it is the the "Road Hog". It has been around for years. It is as long as it looks.

Added for Bob D: I just got a Black Diamond upgrade from patimun, so the credit union says.
Oldmanzes

PMK
08-23-2014, 04:21 AM
The leaked photos spooled up this website. With no real knowledge, the condemning began, praise too.

There are many reasons to own a Spyder or the machine of choice if not a Spyder. Why it matters so much to others, what people ride is just dumb. Get what you like, enjoy the ride and let others deal with what they don't like.

It is obvious though, that there are many people here and no doubt those not on Spyderlovers that did buy what they liked in previous previous or current Spyder models. Their disappointment may not be in the what they bought, more so the what they bought has issues beyond normal defects that have muddied the field.

Personally, I have never liked the cruiser style overall. That's me though. In regards to the F3, no I doubt I would purchase one, but that is me. Overall though, it is a neat looking machine to fill that market segment.

Our house, at this time, does not own a Spyder for me. It is based mostly on the premise of for the wife, but we can both enjoy it.

Life, when possible, should be able being happy and enjoying the time you have. As a kid for some it was playing ball sports, for others maybe they got to enjoy motorsports. As we got older the entire background can change, but the goal should still be enjoyment.

I laughed at some F3 posts, and thoughts that if some folks were handed a winning million dollar lottery ticket, they would still complain either they had to pay taxes or that the winning ticket was not a million and one dollars.

Enjoy life, and if the F3 makes you smile and is available to those that desire it. Enjoy it.

FWIW, I was trying to buy a used Beta Rev 3 trials machine to play around on. I was TOLD, no by the rear admiral, not unless I sold one of the KTM's. I like dirt bIkes, I ride on the balls of my feet, even on the Spyder, would I buy an off-road Spyder? No, just like some like a certain style, I have no interest or need for it.

Life is short, make it fun if you can.

PK

Bob Denman
08-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Added for Bob D: I just got a Black Diamond upgrade from patimun, so the credit union says.
Oldmanzes
When they talk about "Black Diamond" ski runs; doen's that mean that they're extremely hazardous? :shocked:

I suppose that it can also work for credit ratings... :roflblack: :thumbup: :congrats:

ARtraveler
08-23-2014, 01:24 PM
But that's why the Good Lord provided us with Platinim-plated credit ratings. :D

I have developed the policy that I would like my estate to be distributed to people and not banks. They have enough money. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

daveinva
08-23-2014, 01:35 PM
:shocked: Oh great...
NOW; he's gonna have to kill ALL of us! :gaah:

For the record Bob, I heard that in Bill Murray's voice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlHKma22rRc

Bob Denman
08-23-2014, 04:32 PM
:shocked: Will he just show up, or should I wait for him to call first?? :yikes: :roflblack:

cafejimlv
08-23-2014, 06:07 PM
You didn't think my screen name meant I like coffee, did you?

Colin
08-25-2014, 04:02 PM
I have never ridden a Cruiser as such, had a few Goldwings before my first Spyder. I have had 3 Spyders, 2010RS, 2011RSS and currently a 2013 ST SM5. With the ST I have a very comfortable riding position, good wind protection. It has taken me 3 Spyders and a lot of trial and error to have my ride how I like it.
Now the F3 comes along and seems to not be anything I want in a ride, but I seem to be drawn to the whole look and dynamic of this machine, its almost like Jekyl and Hyde, one part of me is saying "I want one" but the other part is saying "its not for you" lolol

The best part about it, is I have a choice, and at the moment I'm tending to stick to my ST, but I can't wait to get on one of these to convince myself either way. And if the add ons/aftermarket parts can give me good options, who knows

ARtraveler
08-25-2014, 04:27 PM
I have never ridden a Cruiser as such, had a few Goldwings before my first Spyder. I have had 3 Spyders, 2010RS, 2011RSS and currently a 2013 ST SM5. With the ST I have a very comfortable riding position, good wind protection. It has taken me 3 Spyders and a lot of trial and error to have my ride how I like it.
Now the F3 comes along and seems to not be anything I want in a ride, but I seem to be drawn to the whole look and dynamic of this machine, its almost like Jekyl and Hyde, one part of me is saying "I want one" but the other part is saying "its not for you" lolol

The best part about it, is I have a choice, and at the moment I'm tending to stick to my ST, but I can't wait to get on one of these to convince myself either way. And if the add ons/aftermarket parts can give me good options, who knows

Recommending you don't test drive unless you have the checkbook along. Sounds like you are/could be very close. :roflblack::roflblack:

Colin
08-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Recommending you don't test drive unless you have the checkbook along. Sounds like you are/could be very close. :roflblack::roflblack:

LOLOLOL, Im not completely sold on it, but yea, will need to make sure the pockets are short enough before riding it ;)