PDA

View Full Version : 1330 gas cap problem

bgame
08-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Been noticing that when I unscrew my gas cap there is some small bits of plastic that come out of the cap and fall below the filler mouth... been thinking this is not good... called my dealer and told him I think there may be a problem and I had better get it replace soon... He agreed and said just bring the old one in and he would replace it.... Well last night I was going to take it off and bring it in this morning to replace it.....Dugh!!! could not unscrew it... all the little ratchet teeth were gone from the last time I put it on.....So I got a large pair of channel locks and gripped the outside cap real good and got it off.... Just a heads up.... you see those little bits of plastic..... REPLACE......

acinpcola
08-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the heads-up on this:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Glad to hear that you noticed it, and had a fix in the works! :thumbup:

bgame
08-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Glad to hear that you noticed it, and had a fix in the works! :thumbup:

Just glad I was not on the road needing gas....

jerpinoy
08-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Large channel lock is my fab tool.

Bob Denman
08-20-2014, 12:35 PM
In this instance; it sure works better than a large hammer! :yikes: :D

Dragonrider
08-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Much less satisfying than a large hammer tho....

snics
08-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Its a known issue.
My dealer replaced mine also, no hassle.

When it starts happening, don't tighten all the way to the ratchet.

A1A
08-21-2014, 10:53 PM
What's different about the replacement cap? Will it do the same thing over time as the original Cap?

Chupaca
08-22-2014, 01:01 AM
several have posted about this issue. They have a replacement cap they should replace it with. The ratchetting mechanism seems to crumble and sqeezing the sides is about the only way to remove it depending on how broken up it is. Fortunately the pieces that may fall in the tank just stay there...:thumbup:

ulflyer
08-22-2014, 06:52 AM
Gas caps from any junk yard or auto store fits.

Mine was so hard to open when I first got it, I replaced the large O ring with one off a spare cap I had. It can now be ratcheted as much as I like but will open with minimum twist.
Been that way for 10K now with no issues.

viperryder
08-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Been noticing that when I unscrew my gas cap there is some small bits of plastic that come out of the cap and fall below the filler mouth... been thinking this is not good... called my dealer and told him I think there may be a problem and I had better get it replace soon... He agreed and said just bring the old one in and he would replace it.... Well last night I was going to take it off and bring it in this morning to replace it.....Dugh!!! could not unscrew it... all the little ratchet teeth were gone from the last time I put it on.....So I got a large pair of channel locks and gripped the outside cap real good and got it off.... Just a heads up.... you see those little bits of plastic..... REPLACE......

Have had the same problem, but thought is was me.:bowdown::bowdown:

KX5062
08-22-2014, 10:21 AM
I've never had an issue with mine, but as a preventative, I only tighten to snug, and never twist until it clicks.