PDA

View Full Version : MPG with Premium vs Regular

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Here's my experience with Premium vs Regular gas. It looks like, in my case anyway, premium does make a difference. There was 600 miles on my 2013 RT base when I got it this past winter.

I drove 3057 miles using regular gas, 87 octane, mostly ethanol blend. This is around town driving but mostly 2 lane and Interstate highway driving with much of it at 70 mph. I burned 125.5 gallons for an overall average near 24.4 mpg. The mileage settled in around this number starting at about 2000 total odometer miles, 1400 mine.

I then drove 2043 miles burning 76.6 gallons of premium 91 or 92 octane, again mostly ethanol blend. This mileage was almost all on my trip to Eureka for SITR, and mostly at 60 mph since Oregon and California 2 lane roads are almost all 55 speed limit. The first ~300 miles was the same type of driving as most of the regular gas driving, and the mpg was about the same. Overall though my mpg was 26.6 for the 2043 miles. How much the mpg increase is due to steady hour after hour driving at 60 vs. premium gas influence I'm not ready to say yet.

I just finished an 1123 mile trip to Salem, OR and back pulling my newly built tent trailer, which is not at all aerodynamic, using 49.5 gallons premium gas. My mileage dropped to 22.6. Guess I better see if I can conjure up some sort of aerodynamic nose piece for my trailer to improve that mileage.

By and large the bike seems to run smoother with premium, but gas from different stations is, I think, a bigger factor. Some tankfuls ran smooth, and other tankfuls seemed to cause hesitation and some rough running. I didn't keep track of what gas caused what issues. Gasoline is a fungible product and the only difference from brand to brand are the additives they dump in when the gas is delivered to a particular station.

I will update this info later, like maybe this winter when ryding season is done for the year here in Idaho.

ChasCS
08-19-2014, 10:15 PM
I had been running 91-92 octane, but last night, I bumped up mine to 94 octane.
Pricey premium blend...

Not sure about any milage change so far.

Chas

Dragonrider
08-19-2014, 11:24 PM
Run three tanks of non-ETOH gas, and then let's talk...

Chupaca
08-19-2014, 11:28 PM
I don't quibble and use the best I can get. It is not only the mileage but the additives and purity. Now you should give the racing fuel a shot...at least once..:roflblack:

ARtraveler
08-20-2014, 02:03 AM
I usually chime in on these threads.

I feel like the "peppiness" of the :spyder2: is better with premium (here 90 octane) compared to regular (87 octane). I also get about a mile or two per gallon better with premium.

There are many different brands of gas here--but they all come from the same refinery. Fun to watch the same tanker truck hit six different stations here in Eagle River.

If you get further away for the Anchorage metro area, you can run into regular only and sometimes it may be old.

Not a lot of choices--"but when I buy gas--I buy Premium if I can." :roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-20-2014, 06:53 AM
On my 998; I noticed a 2.5 mpg difference...
My 1330 has just had it's first drink of 87... :shocked: We'll see what happens! :pray:

Magdave
08-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Run three tanks of non-ETOH gas, and then let's talk...

I have been doing just that for the last 3 tanks. 93 octane Pure Gas and it has added 3 mpg to my average from 26-29mpg using ethanol 93. Usually 87 octane has 10% ethanol 89 7% (at least that is how it is marked at the station I get my pure 93 at) so I assume even 93 with ethanol in it would have less than 87. Ethanol is not good for mpg. I am trying pure gas 93 in my Terrain and it has improved the mpg in it by ~ 3mpg also and I doubt it is because of the octane. The increased MPG helps defray the added cost. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-20-2014, 08:41 AM
i wish that we had "cornless" gas available up here... :shocked:
I only got to try it once, and was very enthused with the preliminary results! :thumbup:

Magdave
08-20-2014, 08:44 AM
i wish that we had "cornless" gas available up here... :shocked:
I only got to try it once, and was very enthused with the preliminary results! :thumbup:

Ethanol has a lower boiling point than pure gas too. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-20-2014, 08:47 AM
2010, and 2014... never had a problem with that! :D :thumbup:
But My Grizzly used to like to boil it up a bit on hot days, and slow going... :shocked:

Dragonrider
08-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Hmm, I wonder if the ETOH is the major cause of the "boiling gas" issue on some of the Spyders. I was thinking I hadn't noticed it on my 2010, after the overflow tube extension, but I almost always use non-ETOH gas... Anyone else have any thoughts? Has anyone using StarBright to "stabilize" the ETOH, noticed a decrease in fumes???

Magdave
08-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Hmm, I wonder if the ETOH is the major cause of the "boiling gas" issue on some of the Spyders. I was thinking I hadn't noticed it on my 2010, after the overflow tube extension, but I almost always use non-ETOH gas... Anyone else have any thoughts? Has anyone using StarBright to "stabilize" the ETOH, noticed a decrease in fumes???

I seem to have a little less boiling but still have it especially after a long 90+ deg day ride.

MidTNDawg
08-20-2014, 10:46 AM
I don't quibble and use the best I can get. It is not only the mileage but the additives and purity. Now you should give the racing fuel a shot...at least once..:roflblack:

"the best you can get" And how do you know it meets your definition? FWIW, I pretty much define the best starting with gas being non-ethanol. Mentioned by AK*Man is the age of the gas. Do you try to determine how long it has sat in the store's tank? Seriously curious. I try to watch traffic at stations to determine how fast they move their gas. BTW, FWIW, I do start with ethanol or not before octane. Many stations in our area often have 87 only in non.

ARtraveler
08-20-2014, 01:19 PM
"the best you can get" And how do you know it meets your definition? FWIW, I pretty much define the best starting with gas being non-ethanol. Mentioned by AK*Man is the age of the gas. Do you try to determine how long it has sat in the store's tank? Seriously curious. I try to watch traffic at stations to determine how fast they move their gas. BTW, FWIW, I do start with ethanol or not before octane. Many stations in our area often have 87 only in non.

RE: Age of gas. Sometimes here you have no choice. When you see gas decanted out of a 300 gallon or so above ground tank with a primitive pumping mechanism, you wonder a little bit. If I need that gas, it is because there are no other options available. Done it twice and did not have any issues.

Chitina, AK was the last time.

Bob Denman
08-20-2014, 01:22 PM
:agree: My time is just about valuable-enough to me, that I can find better things to do with than chase tankers. :shocked: