PDA

View Full Version : Female Riders (Stats)

ChasCS
08-19-2014, 04:34 AM
I liked reading these numbers, and learning how much higher the fairer sex are climbing...
http://rideapart.com/articles/watson-female-riders

At the end of last year there was a survey published about women and motorcycles that didn’t say very much except women who rode felt much better about themselves, were twice as happier with their lives and overall felt sexier.

It was the sort of survey that made me roll my eyes as it told me absolutely nothing that I wanted, or even needed to know, and was directly linked to a motorcycle manufacturer that had paid good money to sponsor this research ultimately with the aim of enticing women to buy their motorcycles.

However, what the survey did do was make me curious enough to seek out about what was happening to U.S. women motorcyclists and if they were still largely being ignored by the motorcycle industry.

After a bit of digging, what I finally came up with were some astonishing numbers published by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC). A national trade association that, amongst a multitude of other things, specifically tracks motorcycle riders demographics in the U.S.

According to the MIC’s findings, up until 2012 of the 27 million people that ride motorcycles in this country more than a quarter (or seven million of them) are women. That’s a huge number, which according to my limited calculations means that one in four riders on U.S. roads is very likely to be a woman.

Not only is that a big number, but also it would seem that women riders are also the one area of the market that’s actually growing year on year. All of the MIC numbers are based on motorcycles sold to end users, so this is not subjective findings or someone in a back room guessing, but simple hard facts. More women than ever before are buying motorcycles.

But, even more surprising to me was that the MIC numbers revealed the number of female riders increased by 35 per cent between 2003 and 2012, with more than 40 per cent of them purchasing a cruiser type bike. The MIC numbers don’t split down the remaining the 60% but if they did I have a feeling that the biggest proportion would be sport bikes purchases and between 2009 and 2012 bike ownership amongst women went up by 20%. What exactly happened in those years and why was there this sudden increase?

So what business do I have by being surprised by all of this? I’ve seen a fair number of female riders on the roads but I had no idea that women are buying more and more motorcycles than ever before. But hang on a minute, why? What has happened in recent years to make women rush out and buy bikes? For so long women have been often ignored by this industry, talked down to and not expected to go anywhere near a motorcycle unless it was on the pillion seat.

Yet now they are the fastest growing sector in the motorcycle market. I can’t think of any new type of bikes being made specifically aimed at women. Instead they’re shelling out money for every kind of motorcycle from cruiser to sport bike that we as guys like to ride. What precisely is going on here? I really don’t know.

Back to last year’s subjective survey on women motorcyclists if you’re still interested. The study, conducted by global insights firm Kelton and commissioned by an American motorcycle company (I’m not going to name them but I’m sure you can work it out) interviewed 1,013 adult female riders and 1,016 adult female non-riders.

Apparently the findings suggested that riding a motorcycle greatly improves a woman’s feelings of overall self-worth. Key ‘insights’ were apparently:

More than twice as many always feel happy (37 percent of riders vs. 16 percent of non-riders); Nearly four times as many always feel sexy (27 percent of riders vs. 7 percent of non-riders); Nearly twice as many always feel confident (35 percent of riders vs. 18 percent of non-riders); and more than half (53 percent) of women who ride cite their motorcycle as a key source of happiness and nearly three in four (74 percent) believe their lives have improved since they started riding.

What none of this marketing speak tells me, or you for that matter, is why women have started to take up motorcycle riding in such big numbers. On the face of it this is terrific news for all of us that are passionate about bikes, but can anyone tell me why and how this all started?

Chas

PrairieSpyder
08-19-2014, 07:33 AM
. . .
Yet now they are the fastest growing sector in the motorcycle market. I can’t think of any new type of bikes being made specifically aimed at women. Instead they’re shelling out money for every kind of motorcycle from cruiser to sport bike that we as guys like to ride. What precisely is going on here? I really don’t know.
. . . .

I really don't know, either. But I'm glad they're not doing like the firearm companies and selling them in pink! :gaah: On Harley you can have either forward or mid controls. When I was shopping, I found that my legs are too short for the forward controls. But I don't know if that was done for women in particular.

. . . .
Apparently the findings suggested that riding a motorcycle greatly improves a woman’s feelings of overall self-worth. Key ‘insights’ were apparently:

More than twice as many always feel happy (37 percent of riders vs. 16 percent of non-riders); Nearly four times as many always feel sexy (27 percent of riders vs. 7 percent of non-riders); Nearly twice as many always feel confident (35 percent of riders vs. 18 percent of non-riders); and more than half (53 percent) of women who ride cite their motorcycle as a key source of happiness and nearly three in four (74 percent) believe their lives have improved since they started riding.
. . . .

I can attest to all of these. :ohyea:

. . . .
What none of this marketing speak tells me, or you for that matter, is why women have started to take up motorcycle riding in such big numbers. On the face of it this is terrific news for all of us that are passionate about bikes, but can anyone tell me why and how this all started?

I don't know, either. For me, it's something I've always wanted to do, but as a kid, was discouraged from because I was a girl. Now that I can, I do!!

We've come a long way, baby!! :dg2:

ChasCS
08-19-2014, 02:05 PM
I have been watching the "hills and valleys" closely to check out how many females I see riding bikes, and the numbers are swelling quite surprisingly. Everything from smaller crotch rockets right up to large Harley's and other makes and variety of models as well.
i saw three younger gals on their three crotch rockets riding them together a week or so ago. And it really took me by surprise. I honestly wasn't expecting to see that.

It would be nice to hear from some more of the ladies here, and hear how they got into riding, and where they see its directions heading towards in the future? Don't be shy girls! Tell all. ;-)

Chas

PrairieSpyder
08-19-2014, 04:27 PM
A friend of my brother is active in a MC. He said he's noticed a lot more women on motorcycles, and seemed a bit surprised they were even on the "big iron."

ThreeFeet
08-19-2014, 04:54 PM
When I was a teeny bopper my dad wouldn't let me get that bike because it had a magnito!! But when I got a lot older I got a little 100 cc Kawasaki ran around to and from work on it in Ca. when the gas was rationed!! I had just gotten my first TRUCK 73 chevy with a 350 V8 and of course THAT cost a lot to fill and on ration not good!!! Soo the little bike suited me fine untill I got to be a really BIG target for all the idiots trying to get from light to light faster than the one next to them!!! Sooo Finally in my OLD age I got the 09 Spyder because I KNEW it wouldn't fall over and I could get on and off it with out killing myself and having to pick up the bike!!! Have been having a blast ever since!!! Am 70 now and got an RT in 2010. Comfort and stability are the key factors I looked for. I am no mechanic to this bike I figure that's what a spyder mechanics job security is!:2thumbs: BTW I have had 2 One ton duellies and a Half ton and now a 1/4 ton pick up. So I like my TRUCKS and my SPYDER!!! Can't beat THAT with a stick!!:clap::thumbup:

maliamd
08-19-2014, 05:01 PM
This is terrific information and I thank you for posting it. I think the increase in female ridership is a direct result of what is happening in our culture. Women no longer think "Is this a guy thing?". Unisex is really now part of our thought process for most of us. If women want to participate in a particular activity they do so. Same thing applies in the work force. Male "only" professions do not exist anymore and I am thankful for that. A woman can aspire to any profession and not be blocked because of gender. Of course there area still obstacles to overcome as a female. There is a pay gap and there still exists some prejudice with females depending on the individual company. I fought hard during my career in healthcare to break through the glass ceiling. I finally did but it took me 20 years to get through. To those skeptics, the glass ceiling did and does exist though not as bad today as it was when I started out 30 years ago. You never heard me whine about it though. I just worked harder and better than my male counterparts. It is what it is.

Now I have found that the motorcycle (not so much spyders) community is lagging behind in welcoming female riders into their fold. There still exists a great deal of prejudice from males concerning females riders. The "bitch" mentality still exists and frankly I find it offensive. It must go. I get looks and distain from some male riders and I have learned to ignore them. The make up of motorcycle ridership is changing with females joining the ranks. Eventually over time female riders will no longer be viewed as outsiders. Until then, I will continue to blaze the trail for women and someday my granddaughter will ride a bike and no one will think anything of it. That will be my everlasting gift to her. Ride on sweetheart! Grandmama is proud of you!

MarkLawson
08-19-2014, 06:00 PM
During the first Owners Event in Maggie Valley, Fred Rau told me that 42% of Spyder sales go to women buyers.

flamingobabe
08-19-2014, 06:21 PM
How I got into riding......I rode behind Mark from day one of our introduction.....after about 10 years as passenger I went and took the MSF course....passed and Mark bought me a 750 Shadow.....never could find a happy place....sold it 1 1/2 years later with 200 miles on it......Lamont posted a pic of the Spyder, or sent us an email...in 2007 maybe...I said "I could ride that" I just followed the Spyder board and in 2010, May, I purchased a used 2009 RS in 1 week I had over 2,000 miles on it...this Spyder is me....I now have 75k on my RS and ST.....

It just tickles me to ride down the road and see other women riding their own....yes...riding empowers us women...just ask Mark....

Yazz
08-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Was a tom-boy growing up. Had great parents who supported anything we wanted to do. Girls and boys. First time I rode a mini-bike, crashed it in a rose bush.

Got married and Hubby was just like my parents. I was the first lady at a business land surveying. Helped do the elevations on Bayou Tortue out of Lafayette LA. Carried my own gear into the bayou.

Raised Son, then learned to fly ultralights. Straight and level flying wasn't for me, loved aerobatics! Could take 9 Gs without greying. Went to A&P school to learn how to build my own plane.

Got a job at a Raytheon hangar at Houston Hobby doing inspections. First lady mech at that hangar. When I was first there, the guys were quiet around me. A few weeks later, my lead man told me one of the office ladies had charged a sexual harassment suit on one of the mechs. Once they found out they could say a few cuss words when they busted a knuckle, all was good.

Looked into all the FAA regulations for a build-yer-own. Paperwork up the caboose.

Hubby has ridden bikes off and on his whole life. He wanted a Harley. I love a low compression engine. 'If you get one, I do too.'

Thus started the beginning to where I am now.

Girlfrn
08-20-2014, 10:31 PM
I always wanted to ride a motorcycle but didn't really have access to them growing up. I did have a girlfriend that tried to teach me but we couldn't stop laughing long enough for me to do it. Then after my children were grown I began to think about riding again so I took a motorcycle class and bought a 950 v- star Yamaha. I loved it. I did have to admit to myself though that I was pretty scared of cornering and felt stressed out each time I rode it. I did that for a year and would ride on the back of my husbands Harley. . The seat was uncomfortable and I didn't feel like I had control of the bike and corners still bothered me. In the meantime we bought a four wheeler and I rode the heck out of it. Then bloomed the idea to get a can am Spyder. I searched the internet for something that would give me more stability. Now I love love riding. I like the power, the speed and the control. I feel independent and free. And proud to own a bike at 56. My family were just a little concerned for me but they didn't stop me. It makes me happier yes and it's fun to ride with friends.

CJ/johnnyg
08-22-2014, 10:41 AM
I have rode as a passenager since I was 18 and loved it. It seemed I was always looking for a ride, loved the wind in the face. After riding behind johnnyg for 30 yrs. on his wing, valkrie, HD and his 2010 RT, he suggested I learn how to ride it and get my license, you know in case something happened to him ( if he got sick or wanted to have a couple of beers). So I did. Then I didn't want to be a back seat rider anymore, I liked having control. So we got me a RS. John traded his RT for his ST since we didn't ride two up any more. He liked the sportier model. Now we ride everywhere together on two spyders and love every minute.

03hdjill
08-22-2014, 02:36 PM
I always loved motorcycles (and trucks..LOL). I was never allowed to ride or have a motorcycle when I was growing up. ( all of my boyfriends had motorcycles and I rode them, but always hid them from my dad) Got married early in life to a guy who did not ride, and had a child. Focused on raising my daughter and building my career. Got divorced and continued on that path until my daughter was grown. Met back up with a divorced old boyfriend from my youth. He rekindled my interest in motorcycles. Decided at age 40 that I would rather ride my own. I first bought a little Suzuki Savage 650 cc. I took the MSF class and got my endorsement. I loved that little bike, but it was so light weight that I would really get blown around on interstates. Since I enjoyed touring on my bike, I decided to buy a heavier bike. So in 2003, I sold the Savage and bought a new Harley Davidson Electraglide (Standard). I rode that bike for 10 years and thought that I would always have an Electraglide. When out riding, I would see a guy once in a while riding a GS in our area. I remember being at a red light next to that Spyder and thinking that it was the coolest looking bike. I would see that guy from time to time and could not get his bike out of my mind. I saw an advertisement for the ST Limited in May 2013. I joined Spyderlovers and went for a test ride. The rest is history..... Love my Spyder!

frankc
08-22-2014, 03:31 PM
I liked reading these numbers, and learning how much higher the fairer sex are climbing...
http://rideapart.com/articles/watson-female-riders

At the end of last year there was a survey published about women and motorcycles that didn’t say very much except women who rode felt much better about themselves, were twice as happier with their lives and overall felt sexier.

It was the sort of survey that made me roll my eyes as it told me absolutely nothing that I wanted, or even needed to know, and was directly linked to a motorcycle manufacturer that had paid good money to sponsor this research ultimately with the aim of enticing women to buy their motorcycles.

However, what the survey did do was make me curious enough to seek out about what was happening to U.S. women motorcyclists and if they were still largely being ignored by the motorcycle industry.

After a bit of digging, what I finally came up with were some astonishing numbers published by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC). A national trade association that, amongst a multitude of other things, specifically tracks motorcycle riders demographics in the U.S.

According to the MIC’s findings, up until 2012 of the 27 million people that ride motorcycles in this country more than a quarter (or seven million of them) are women. That’s a huge number, which according to my limited calculations means that one in four riders on U.S. roads is very likely to be a woman.

Not only is that a big number, but also it would seem that women riders are also the one area of the market that’s actually growing year on year. All of the MIC numbers are based on motorcycles sold to end users, so this is not subjective findings or someone in a back room guessing, but simple hard facts. More women than ever before are buying motorcycles.

But, even more surprising to me was that the MIC numbers revealed the number of female riders increased by 35 per cent between 2003 and 2012, with more than 40 per cent of them purchasing a cruiser type bike. The MIC numbers don’t split down the remaining the 60% but if they did I have a feeling that the biggest proportion would be sport bikes purchases and between 2009 and 2012 bike ownership amongst women went up by 20%. What exactly happened in those years and why was there this sudden increase?

So what business do I have by being surprised by all of this? I’ve seen a fair number of female riders on the roads but I had no idea that women are buying more and more motorcycles than ever before. But hang on a minute, why? What has happened in recent years to make women rush out and buy bikes? For so long women have been often ignored by this industry, talked down to and not expected to go anywhere near a motorcycle unless it was on the pillion seat.

Back to last year’s subjective survey on women motorcyclists if you’re still interested. The study, conducted by global insights firm Kelton and commissioned by an American motorcycle company (I’m not going to name them but I’m sure you can work it out) interviewed 1,013 adult female riders and 1,016 adult female non-riders.

Chasmy wife rode with me many years, in 2007 she bought her own didn't really like it, so in 2011 I bought her a 2008 spyder still riding it.

Charlotte17078
08-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Chas,
I have ridden with my husband on his Kawasakis for years and became very tired of being bored on the back.
I got my license about 5 years ago and bought a 500 Vulcan. Because I am vertically challenged, keeping the bike upright
at stop signs was an issue. I have always wanted a little red sports car. This year I retired from 30 years of teaching HS and
found my "little red sports car", a decked out 2011 Spyder RT, in Viper Red. I LOVE it!!! We rode over 2,000 miles on a trip to Maggie Valley, in July, and rode all of the twisty roads that we could find and just returned from a trip to W.Va.
I have also owned my own pick up trucks over the years. The attitude of salesmen in traditionally male dominated industries is changing, finally.
When we bought the Spyder, the salesman (at the second dealership) realized that it was for ME, not my husband and sold it to ME.
The guys at the first dealership didn't get that it was for ME and basically ignored me in the conversations, which lost a sale for them!
I wish the apparel mfg would realize that all riders are not 6' 150lb people and make riding clothing the rest of us can wear.
The hubs and I have a friendly competition as to whose ride will get oogled the most at a gas stop, his Voyager or my Spyder. The Spyder
usuallly wins!!!
Ryde safe!!!

ttc
08-29-2014, 04:07 PM
I have two bikes, a Kawasaki Z1000 that I bought new in 2006, and as of a couple of weeks ago a RS-S in Neutron Green.

I know heaps and heaps of ladies who ride, and next weekend there's a get together in New south wales (australia) where we're going to try to set a world record for the most lady motorcycle riders in the one place :)

The thing I find is the lack of variety in motorbike gear, it's quite hard to find a leather motorcycle jacket in the shops here, they seem to have the mentality that the girl is just on the back and textile will do. In one street here we have 4 motorbike shops, and between all 4 shops I only found 4 leather jacket styles. I don't get ignored by the bike shops as they know me as I used to work in them :)

I don't have a pick up (Hyundai i30/Elantra gt) but I do drive semi trailers for a living :D

ChasCS
08-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Hi,
Very nice to meet you.
Hey, that's another great forum introduction, and life story.
Thanks for sharing your past riding and current (ryding) experiences, with the other forum members.

Happy Trails to you...

A Neutron Green RS-S Spyder sounds Devine... ;-)
Ah, please post some pics when you get a moment, all right...

Chas

khromegal
08-30-2014, 07:43 PM
I can only relate how I entered the motorcycle world. Never was allowed to ride when growing up either. Daughter grew up and left so hubby and I began riding with a group. I rode on back from '96 until around 2001 when I was encouraged to take the MSF for safety reasons since we traveled a lot. I took the course and found I really enjoyed it and put 10,00 miles on a small 535 Virago that summer. 2002 for my birthday hubby got me a VTX1300 because it had a low seat height. Being 5'2" seat height was a big deal. I loved that bike and never looked back. When I traded my X in this spring for the Spyder it had 104,000 miles on it. I must say that had I not been riding in a group of very protective riders I might have backed out early on. But these guys did nothing but encourage me and advise me when we traveled. I did Saddlesore 1500 and Ironbutt rides with these guys and they never gave me a hard time. Acceptance from them meant the world.

SpyderLady
09-04-2014, 09:57 AM
I grew up riding behind my Dad and got my love of bikes from him. I have fond memories of those rides, helping him put motorcycles together in the garage and even when he could not ride anymore he got a dirt bike for me to ride on the property when I went to visit him. Now jump to 2003, my kids are grown and gone and I went out and got a Yamaha. Then I wanted a Harley. Rode Harleys until 2007 when surgeries and my doctors told me I could no longer ride 2 wheels. Flew to Sturgis to be with friends in 2009, test drove an RS, flew back early to buy an RS and it has been history since then. Loved my RS but because I seem to like distances and because of my back upgraded to an RT in 2012. I too have seen the increase of women riders and just love seeing them on all kinds of machines.:yes::yes:

ChasCS
09-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Hi, nice to read about your history and memories riding with your dear dad.

& I really like your Avatar pic... ;-)

Chas

Wifey
09-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Rode as passenger in early twenties, until I graduated from nursing school. No longer thought of bikes as safe. Married a guy who had been riding since he was 12 but refused to ride with him. Got interested in Can Am Spyder in 2009, never thought I could afford one. Last year, at the age of 68, got the bug to ride with my husband but both of us have bad knees and backs so riding behind him was out. Started looking for a Spyder but most of the used ones in my area were black or dark colored and RS model. Also wanted an RT so I would not have to bend my knees when I rode. In July of this year I found my Spyder, 2013 RT S, with only 4 miles. "Bobby McGee" and I have driven for 1200 miles since then. Love riding with my husband along the back roads of Sonoma County and will take any excuse to ride. My husband occasionally gives up his BMW "Big Blue" to be a passenger on "Bobby McGee". With the radio tuned to oldies I sing myself down the road.
:yes:
. 95595

ChasCS
09-29-2014, 02:51 AM
Hi,
That's great. My thanks, to you for sharing your personal story and history on two and now three wheels. It's always interesting to me, and I'm sure many others here too, to enjoy reading these pages from all you ladies diary.
I like how you cropped your yellow SpYder sig pic.

There must be many more personal stories and memory files, I hope we will eventually be allowed read here.
As you can see, by the number of times this thread has been read, that the topic is of much interest for many of the rest of us.

Ladies, Please share more of your interesting and enlightening experiences on two or three wheels...

Chas

bandreassen
09-29-2014, 03:30 PM
I started riding in 1984, and there were very few women on their own bikes. It's been great to see that number increase over the years. I get more attention now on the Spyder than I did when I rode the Wing....

NJArachnyd
09-29-2014, 03:43 PM

My wife Jeannine and her "new" 2011 RS-S

ChasCS
10-01-2014, 11:23 PM
She is beautiful, and the bike, it looks great too. ;-)

Is there a story behind her ryding, a SpYder??

Chas

vondalyn
01-19-2015, 06:36 PM
I think part of why more women are riding is also that more women have their own incomes and don't have to "ask someone" for money for a motorcycle, though I still hear that going on when I'm in motorcycle shops.

I was a tomboy growing up and rode on the back of friends motorcycles as a child and teenager. Always liked them, and always wanted one of my own. As a young (poor) married couple, we needed a second vehicle and a motorcycle was a lot cheaper to purchase and maintain than a second car so on my 20th birthday my husband suggested that I get a motorcycle. Even then he would ride on the back from time to time instead of him always driving when we both rode together -- imagine the looks we got back in the 80s with that scenario! I/we rode the first one for a number of years before we decided we could afford a second one. I got the newest one and my husband got the hand-me-down. Rode for a bit longer before I sold it to buy a horse. Played with horses for longer than I should have considering the number of injuries I've had, and finally in 2008 I saw this new thing called a Spyder on TV. Fell in love with it immediately and went to a dealership for a test drive. 2008 was kind of a dodgy time job-wise in the software industry where I work, so I made the difficult decision to NOT buy anything new that I might not be able to afford should I get laid off. Several jobs and years later, I felt like I was in a better position to take on the expense of a toy, so in 2012 I got the RT limited. Now I've fallen in love with the F3 so here I go again with a new fun toy.

Deanna777
01-21-2015, 01:55 PM
I started riding in 1993, I was a passenger until 2009 ( went thru a difficult time in 2009 until March 2010) I rode Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's( nomade Cruiser) HD Switchback, in 2011 I told people that I wanted to get my motorcycle license, so in 2012 I took the Motorcycle Safety Coarse and got my permit/license, and traded the 2012 HD Switchback for 2012RTS-SE5. Kept the 2012RTS-SE5 for 2 years, then I traded the 2012RTS-SE5 for my Current ride 2014RTS-SE6. I like the freedom, and being in control of my own spyder. If life gets stress full I can just get on my spyder and GO. Also, if I want to just go for a ride I can. Deanna:ohyea:

ARtraveler
01-21-2015, 02:51 PM
I started riding in 1993, I was a passenger until 2009 ( went thru a difficult time in 2009 until March 2010) I rode Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's( nomade Cruiser) HD Switchback, in 2011 I told people that I wanted to get my motorcycle license, so in 2012 I took the Motorcycle Safety Coarse and got my permit/license, and traded the 2012 HD Switchback for 2012RTS-SE5. Kept the 2012RTS-SE5 for 2 years, then I traded the 2012RTS-SE5 for my Current ride 2014RTS-SE6. I like the freedom, and being in control of my own spyder. If life gets stress full I can just get on my spyder and GO. Also, if I want to just go for a ride I can. Deanna:ohyea:

Akspyderlady started as a passenger in summer of 2011. Started out by saying she would never get on one of those things, and that if it was a deal breaker--then BYE. Then, she rode over 5,000 miles in the passenger seat of my RT. I let her drive the 2010 RT a couple times near the end of the year. In 2012, we traded off my Kawi Vulcan 900 LT and bought her a brand new 2011 RT. She drives 5,000 miles per season average just on weekends. Now has over 16K on the 2011 and looking forward to the upcoming season.

We enjoy riding our own :spyder2:,s a lot more, compared to the two up experience. Communicators keep us in contact while on the road.

Deanna777
01-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Akspyderlady started as a passenger in summer of 2011. Started out by saying she would never get on one of those things, and that if it was a deal breaker--then BYE. Then, she rode over 5,000 miles in the passenger seat of my RT. I let her drive the 2010 RT a couple times near the end of the year. In 2012, we traded off my Kawi Nomad 900 LT and bought her a brand new 2011 RT. She drives 5,000 miles per season average just on weekends. Now has over 16K on the 2011 and looking forward to the upcoming season.

We enjoy riding our own :spyder2:,s a lot more, compared to the two up experience. Communicators keep us in contact while on the road. My current spyder( 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac) I have learned a lot about the Spdyers mainly thru this website, and sending people/pm's and going to the rally's ( Spyderfest, Spyderquest) the spyders are a conversation piece, when I go for rides, or when I am doing errands, or riding going to work ( in the early morning hours.) On my Current Spyder I have 2,988 miles, which I put on last year( from July 30th to Oct. 1). I am looking forward to up coming season also. Deanna

ARtraveler
01-21-2015, 03:14 PM
My current spyder( 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac) I have learned a lot about the Spdyers mainly thru this website, and sending people/pm's and going to the rally's ( Spyderfest, Spyderquest) the spyders are a conversation piece, when I go for rides, or when I am doing errands, or riding going to work ( in the early morning hours.) On my Current Spyder I have 2,988 miles, which I put on last year( from July 30th to Oct. 1). I am looking forward to up coming season also. Deanna

Akspyderlady loves to talk about her :ani29: when we stop for gas, food, or just to sightsee. She lights up like a Christmas tree when people start asking about her beloved :spyder2:.

Deanna777
01-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Akspyderlady loves to talk about her :ani29: when we stop for gas, food, or just to sightsee. She lights up like a Christmas tree when people start asking about her beloved :spyder2:.I do the same thing when I am at work, or when I am out and about doing errands. I give the people a big sepal about the spyders. They ask me a lot of questions, like "what do you get for gas mileage, do you need a motorcycle license, Is that a trike, can you ride the Spyder on the interstate, is it comfortable etc. Deanna

The Bee!!
01-21-2015, 05:50 PM
I have always rode on the back of the Harley, and really never had any desire to have one of my own. But, was in the local dealer for something else and saw and sat on a Spyder, and thought i could do this... So at 58 years old started doing my research and bought my first non 4 wheels toy a 2014 Yellow RT. Have really enjoyed the independence of having my own vehicle and love the extra storage room... Put 3600 miles on it last year so am now adding the Farkles... Have been pleasantly surprised on who and the variety of people that have stopped me to ask about the Spyder... Even my die hard Harley husband has been impressed with how it handles and even got my 81 year old mom on the back for a spin... I also got to say that taking the Motorcycle safety course was a great confidence builder for first time riders.... Highly recommend the course for newbies... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/asset.php?fid=79255&uid=15505&d=1421880087

Charlotte17078
04-30-2015, 09:02 PM
My husband rides Kawasaki Voyagers and I have been a passenger for several years. He likes to take LONG trips and I found myself bored out of my gourd!!!
I took the motorcycle safety course and passed on a 2 wheeler. My second bike was a 500 Vulcan and since I am vertically challenged tipped it over a few times at
stop signs.. talk about embarassing!!! The final straw was when I tipped it over into his bike and SCATCHED it!!! We started looking for something else and
came across a beautiful, Viper Red, 2011 RT with alot of bells and whistles and extras that we could afford. I tried it out last May and haven't looked back, except to see if the hubs is catching up!!! :ohyea: Planning a trip to Arkansas in June, CAN'T wait!!!!

KickinSpyder
05-26-2015, 02:12 AM
I bought a Honda Rebel (250) over ten years ago to begin riding. I had not previously rode any and it was something I really wanted to do. But beginning to ride in your 20's is a bit late in life. I also took my first ride around the block...which sounds easy... but when you live in the foothills of the Ozarks around the block means around the mountain. I said "nope" and sold it. I have been eyeballing the Spyder since its beginning in 2008 but simply couldn't afford one (and finding a used one proved harder than finding a new one). Finally, after 7 years of waiting and healing from some pretty serious health problems I purchased a 2015 F3-S. I've managed to put 200 miles on it in four days just riding around town (;D). I absolutely love it and I love the power of that series in particular.

It's look definitely sets it apart and its as bad ass as it looks. 1330cc is nothing to laugh at and I fully enjoy leaving everyone in the dust.

I've been told by several dealers across several different states (which makes me think the stats come directly from Can-Am) that 24% of Spyder riders are totally new to the market (motorcycles/trikes/roadsters) and 76% are not. The number of women riders are higher also.

Now all I need is to find a club near me...but in Arkansas that seems impossible to find. One company owns all dealerships in Arkansas and they sell above the MSRP with ...and I quote..."we don't negotiate the price". So on a trip up to Minnisota I stopped in Des Moines at Hicklin PowerSports and got a great deal.

This Spyder is also awesome on the roller coaster roads of the Ozarks...cornering is a breeze, often not even requiring the brake at all.

Blay'yum!

donkes
05-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Hey ladies, what took you so long?

jaherbst
05-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Chas I don't know why or how it happened but I have two nieces that both have their own pick up trucks.
Back when I was a lad and Shep was a pup women didn't drive pickups.

So I think it is the equalization of the sexes.
My wife is much happier on her own Spyder.
She isn't into the maintenance thing but I know many women who are.

I've always believed that women are the superior sex and this study simply adds to the evidence.

Jeez Roger don't tell them that. They are hard enough now to deal with!:joke:

Jack

maliamd
05-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Chas I don't know why or how it happened but I have two nieces that both have their own pick up trucks.
Back when I was a lad and Shep was a pup women didn't drive pickups.

So I think it is the equalization of the sexes.
My wife is much happier on her own Spyder.
She isn't into the maintenance thing but I know many women who are.

I've always believed that women are the superior sex and this study simply adds to the evidence.

We have known this all along. :yikes:

Geeky Ryder
05-26-2015, 12:25 PM
My husband created this monster, so now he has to live with it! Ha. Rode behind him in our 20's. Then didn't have a cycle for many years. All I heard for the last 20 yrs is "Harley, Harley, Harley", so finally gave in. He insisted I needed to try a Spyder and ride my own. So, went to Pitbull Powersports, spent couple of hours looking, sitting, etc. Finally picked out one - silver ST. To my great surprise, he asked if they had another just like it!! So at 60 yrs old, I became a Spyder ryder, and we became a 2-Spyder family. We have since traded for RTs for the comfort, and have ridden Tail of the Dragon and 3 Twisted Sisters, and all over the MO/AR Ozarks. What a great retirement we are having!

Spyderminion
05-26-2015, 02:51 PM
I was always told girls can't do this or that. First was ice hockey, so I played field hockey. Then it was baseball, so, I played softball. Then it was a motorcycle, so, I got a moped -a 1983 general 5 star!!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108160&stc=1
Then I wanted to join the army. They let women join the army. So, I did. I loved it except that I had to prove myself at every turn. I did which only made it wors:banghead:. But..... I started playing hockey.... Ice hockey......with the guys......and I was good at it!! So being a soldier and a hockey player...life was great!! Then the wars came! :( Then I got out of the army and was very very sad and then very very angry so..........I bought a motorcycle! And then I was happy:doorag:.

easysuper
06-12-2015, 01:28 PM
We bought our RT to tour on as my wife had taken a very bad spill on her bicycle and ended up in the hospital . After that she would not even consider getting up behind me on a two wheeler . She had a girle friend who took her for a ride on a GS and sugested that we look into Spyders and even found a dealer. We had our RT that weekend! after a few trips she decided that it would be a good idea to learn how to drive the bike, so if I got injured or sick on a trip she could drive the bike , so entered the girlfriend again and in two months Ellie had her endorsment. Fast forward 4 more months , I'm away, out of state working on a project and she has ridden the 100 miles to our favorite dealer as the bike needed servicing , She has added another 1200 miles and it was due for an oil change , I get a text from my lovely bride of the last 40 years asking if I wanted the Lazer alienment , and if I did the labor was only 1/2 price ! why half price I asked ? Because I bought something she texted back , What did you buy ? I bought my own Spyder ! that was last July and now she has 16,000 miles on her Spyder . 64 years old and had NEVER ridden any bike by herself ! GO ELLIE, Oh and as a bonus she gets to buy new cloths and asessories ! and boots that match!
!http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109454&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109455&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109456&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109457&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109458&stc=1

sandeejs
08-04-2015, 12:22 AM
......to be a passenger on "Bobby McGee". With the radio tuned to oldies I sing myself down the road.......
(Singing along: "Feeling good was easy, Lawd, when Bobby sang the blues. Feeling good was good enough for me. Etc"

I have always wanted to ride; after a divorce and kids mostly grown, started to! Been endorsed from 1994. Switched to a Spyder this year; very hard to drop it on myself. I hope. Maintenance is a whole other story.....:doorag:
~Sandee~

marty1096
11-24-2016, 09:32 PM
Had a victory Vegas 8 ball 106 It was too big, heavy and I have balance issues only when stopped. Love my spyder. Bought in April/May rode 1 month before it got too hot to ride. Oct started riding again. 2,735 mi later I am looking toward first oil change at 3000 mi AND putting on a skid plate and new exhaust. I find excuses to ride. "Oh you forgot something? Don't worry I will go get it" lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk