PDA

View Full Version : T5 Chip transponder key

Ernman5
08-18-2014, 01:27 PM
I have a 2013 RTS and I broke my key. I'm thinking of buying just any old transponder blank and moving my existing chip from the broken key to the new blank. Has anyone tried that?

I also found a place where you can get the T5 chip only. I'm not an expert but I believe it can be installed into any transponder key, that way I can make several inexpensive spares. Opinions?

http://www.mrlock.com/transponder-chip-jma-key-tp05?mv_pc=am

There are also many blank keys for Honda vehicles (and others) with T5 chips available on ebay. Has anyone tried to use one of those?

Bob Denman
08-18-2014, 01:46 PM
If you can move the chip over from the usted one; you couldn't ask for a better scenario! :2thumbs:
The T-5 is the right chip! But why jump through that hoop; if you don't have to? :D
If you DID have to get a T-5 for it; take it to a hardware store with your good key... They can probably clone it for you! nojoke

I'm taking all of my keys, and a T-12 equipped un-programmed aftermarket key to the dealer tomorrow... Let's see if they can make some magic happen! :D

DrewNJ
08-18-2014, 01:48 PM
It all sounds doable to me. Personally, I'd like to mount the chip permanently to the dash somewhere and use a normal non-chipped key. Nobody is hot wiring a spyder to steal it.....

Bob Denman
08-18-2014, 01:50 PM
I've started my 2010 with a dummy key... :thumbup:
But the chipped one had to be touching it, in order for the ignition process to occur. :shocked:
I don't know if you could mount the chip close enough to the switch... :dontknow:

ChasCS
08-18-2014, 01:59 PM
This is the second time I've read about guys busting their key. Was it already in the ignition, switch? I only want avoid duplicating your mistake... Thanks.

Chas

Tazzel
08-18-2014, 02:20 PM
I purchased my replacement keys here for 7.65 and Ace Hardware program them for free. However not all Ace Hardware stores can read the keys. I had to go to 3 stores to find one that could.

http://www.lockpicks.com/catalogsear...=kb-tp05za-9-p (http://www.lockpicks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=kb-tp05za-9-p)

Bob Denman
08-18-2014, 02:31 PM
This is the second time I've read about guys busting their key. Was it already in the ignition, switch? I only want avoid duplicating your mistake...

I don't know the circumstances that caused the, "OOPS", :shocked:

But it never hurts to be slow and deliberate with keys...

DrewNJ
08-18-2014, 03:15 PM
I've started my 2010 with a dummy key... [emoji106]
But the chipped one had to be touching it, in order for the ignition process to occur. :shocked:
I don't know if you could mount the chip close enough to the switch... :dontknow:
Once it started could you take the chipped key away with no issues?

billybovine
08-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Once it started could you take the chipped key away with no issues?

I have done the same thing as an experiment. I think you could drive for as long you want without a chipped key after starting.

Bob Denman
08-18-2014, 04:32 PM
That's right... :thumbup: I rode around for an afternoon with a dummy in thw switch, and another one on the seat! :D

DrewNJ
08-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Hmmmm...interesting. Could be a cool keyless start setup and just carry a fob disc for starting...

DrewNJ
08-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Does it start at all with the non chip key? What does it do with the dummy key? Thanks

Bob Denman
08-18-2014, 08:18 PM
As I recall; there is just no response from the starter button...

johnnyrocket
08-18-2014, 08:31 PM
That's right... :thumbup: I rode around for an afternoon with a dummy in thw switch, and another one on the seat! :D

That's funny Bob:D

missouriboy
08-19-2014, 07:06 AM
Hmmmm...interesting. Could be a cool keyless start setup and just carry a fob disc for starting...Sure, just hope your engine never dies in traffic, especially when you need some quick scoot. Mine has been doing this, but restarts instantly and all I have to do is lightly touch the brake. It doesn't even change gears; I can hit the starter and then instantly crack the throttle to keep going.

DrewNJ
08-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Sure, just hope your engine never dies in traffic, especially when you need some quick scoot. Mine has been doing this, but restarts instantly and all I have to do is lightly touch the brake. It doesn't even change gears; I can hit the starter and then instantly crack the throttle to keep going.
Sounds like you have an issue....

billybovine
08-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Does it start at all with the non chip key? What does it do with the dummy key? Thanks

When you turn on the ignition with the dummy key everything fires up except for the sound of the fuel pump priming up. After a minute or so the message (BAD KEY) will scroll across the screen. When you press the starter button before or or after the bad key message, nothing will happen. If you turn on the ignition with the dummy key and bring the chipped key close to almost touching the dummy key you will hear the fuel pump start running. Then you can take away the chipped key and it will start normally. I don't think you need the chipped key for a restart after it stalls or the the engine is stopped with kill switch. That would have to be verified. From as far as I can tell the ignition only looks for the chip after the ignition switch is turn on.

DrewNJ
08-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Fantastic info guys!

Bob Denman
08-19-2014, 12:59 PM
The dealer couldn't take my afternmarket key with a T-12 chip inside, and get the computer to recogniize it. :gaah:
I guess I'll just can the chip, and use it as a dummy key for opening latches... :banghead:

ChasCS
08-19-2014, 01:22 PM
It wouldn't be prudent to have strange dummy keys floating around...

So, I Think I'll try and Hang on to mine, only two Original keys.

Chas

Bob Denman
08-19-2014, 01:27 PM
I like to keep an unchipped key handy, for when I lock my jacket in the frunk...
With my key in the pocket! :shocked:
I guess that I'll have to pop for a BRP chipped key, and just throw it in the top trunk, under the liner! :thumbup:

Bfromla
08-24-2014, 12:49 AM
All good ideas now, plz look @ mykeyport.com.
Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-24-2014, 09:09 AM
:gaah:......I became concerned a long time ago about the stress factor placed on the the entire KEY / IGNITION SWITCH / SEAT RELEASE / FRUNK RELEASE thing.......So I eliminated the one that caused the most binding/stress ( imho) the seat re-lease.......I wrapped a wire around the latch and opened it almost all the way ....then wrapped it around the housing to secure it .......Now my seat stays closed , but I can just give it a TUG UP and it will release so Ican get to the GAS CAP.................I'm not a bit concerned with a " gas thief ".....if they want it they will just pull back your seat flap and get to the cap that way .....and break your seat in the process.........Mikeguyver :thumbup:../. ​PS the frunk doesn't seem to cause the binding that the seat does ....????

Bob Denman
08-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Besides; if they steal the fuel, they're only gonna get 87 octane!! :D :thumbup:

DrewNJ
08-24-2014, 12:59 PM
And at best 5-6 gallons. I would imagine there would be a much better vehicle in the parking lot to siphon fuel out of.