PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a problem ?

SpydermanCT
08-17-2014, 06:22 AM
I have a 2010 RTS SE5 PE Limited. I know they didn't make a Limited in 2010 but I have added enough farkles and accessories that it's becomes a custom built Limited. One of my mods was installing the cat by pass. Since adding it about 2000 miles ago I have a fair amount of popping on deceleration coming out of the exhaust. I'm happy with the deeper more aggressive sound but was wondering if this might be an indication of a fuel/air mixture problem. I've always run premium fuel in it and thought after a period of time the computer might make some changes to reduce the noise. The engine runs fine, I think there might have been a slight increase in power but I just want opinions if by adding it, changing the exhaust to be less restrictive, should I be conserned about it now running leaner? I am running Ron's wires and plugs, the stock muffler and do have a K&N air filter installed.

Bob Denman
08-17-2014, 06:51 AM
Yup! You've leaned the bike out just a wee bit too much...;)
You can either live with the popping, or find a fuel controller that you like. :thumbup:
The mixture leaned out, because the bike is now breathing better with the catalytic converter gone.

DrewNJ
08-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Running lean and a popping exhaust always being related is a HUGE misconception. While they can pop from being lean, they can also pop from being over rich. The unburnt fuel passing through the motor ignites inside the exhaust. Some popping can also be a sign of nothing at all.

I would highly doubt that running a cat bypass in itself is taking your machine outside of the stock computers fuel adjustment perameters.
I would likely believe that the noise you hear is normal and always been there. However, you never noticed it before because the CAT muffled the noise.

samewok
08-17-2014, 08:58 AM
I have a 2011 Rt that I had the bypass put on. It does the same thing. It normal because the cat deadens the sound.

Chupaca
08-17-2014, 09:22 AM
you are fine. The only other thing would be the gaskets. If you installed new one and they were not damaged when installed and all it tight then you are hearing what was always there. After a few miles check the clamps for tightnesd. If same gaskets they may need replacing. I have seen that many have had to open the flanges to install so closing them with the clamps is tough and better done hot...jmo..:thumbup:

taxmyzer
08-17-2014, 09:31 AM
I have a 2013 RT-S as well and I removed the cat & muffler. The bike does pop on deceleration & acceleration I don't think this will do any harm to the bike. I would also welcome some input from those in the know. I'll take the added sound over the added heat any day.

Roadster Renovations
08-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Since it only has an upstream O2 sensor, the fuel strategy is calculated from before the cat. If it had a downstream O2 (and probably will be eventually added) after the cat, removing the cat would throw a "catalyst below efficiency" code, signifying the cat was not performing correctly. I agree that it is just the fact that the cat used to deaden the noise. I can faintly hear that from my RTS sometimes when downshifting. Think it's normal. If you are out West, many auto shops out there can do an emissions test and check the Stoichiometric air-to-fuel ratios (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDIQygQwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FStoichi ometry%23Stoichiometric_air-to-fuel_ratios_of_common_fuels&ei=Hb7wU5vyGIiWyASirIK4Bw&usg=AFQjCNGV4aBj2DKacxTsNW4obtjAiyOMEw&sig2=xt05FXCPLBivFd9s4rtcwQ&bvm=bv.73231344,d.aWw). High hydrocarbons is unburnt fuel (running lean) and high carbon monoxide (running rich). Since the federal guidelines are programmed into the computer, if the O2 numbers were to be too far off it would trigger the check engine light. Since that has not happened, I think you are good to go. If the noise is bothering you, a resonator might help, but getting it to fit in place of the cat might take some doing.

DrewNJ
08-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Or you can do what a lot of people around here do and add a fuel controller and drown the pop in fuel to quiet it down.

happyspyder2039
08-17-2014, 10:07 AM
I have a 2010 RTS SE5 PE Limited. I know they didn't make a Limited in 2010 but I have added enough farkles and accessories that it's becomes a custom built Limited. One of my mods was installing the cat by pass. Since adding it about 2000 miles ago I have a fair amount of popping on deceleration coming out of the exhaust. I'm happy with the deeper more aggressive sound but was wondering if this might be an indication of a fuel/air mixture problem. I've always run premium fuel in it and thought after a period of time the computer might make some changes to reduce the noise. The engine runs fine, I think there might have been a slight increase in power but I just want opinions if by adding it, changing the exhaust to be less restrictive, should I be conserned about it now running leaner? I am running Ron's wires and plugs, the stock muffler and do have a K&N air filter installed.Just a few suggestions of-Could be's the K&N letting too much air in leaning out the air/fuel or possibility of exhaust gaskets needing replaced. I had a 09 RS that started doing this and ended up being exhaust gaskets were fried!

Bob Denman
08-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Running lean and a popping exhaust always being related is a HUGE misconception. While they can pop from being lean, they can also pop from being over rich.
True... but the clues given can ONLY point to a possibley lean condition...
When did you have have an engine go rich, after a breathing improvement with no extra fuel in the mix? :dontknow:

I'll answer for you: never! :D

DrewNJ
08-17-2014, 05:05 PM
True... but the clues given can ONLY point to a possibley lean condition...
When did you have have an engine go rich, after a breathing improvement with no extra fuel in the mix? :dontknow:

I'll answer for you: never! :D
Incorrect. You obviously didn't read everything I posted Bob.
I started the post with some facts about popping and answered the question by stating that there likely was NO ISSUE.

As another posted, those gaskets would be another thing to check too.

There would be NO reason to suspect a lean condition concern or recommend adding a fuel controller with only those 2 items on a pre-13' machine....

Bob Denman
08-17-2014, 05:18 PM
...And I was referring to the one statement that I quoted from you. I meant that given the clues we had; too rich wasn't a likely problem...

Cruzr Joe
08-17-2014, 05:25 PM
...And I was referring to the one statement that I quoted from you. I meant that given the clues we had; too rich wasn't a likely problem...

FOOD FIGHT

DrewNJ
08-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Ok, you win Bob. To the OP, take Bob's advice and slap a fuel controller on there and richen things up......

SpydermanCT
08-17-2014, 05:53 PM
You guys crack me up :roflblack:
I don't mind the noise, I actually like the louder exhaust.:ohyea:

I've looked at the gaskets from below and they look good. I'm going to pull the side panels before Spyder Quest and re torque the clamps along with every other bolt on the bike.

Thank you for all the technical and personal input. I feel better.

I don't want want to spend a boat load of money on a fuel controller !

DrewNJ
08-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Bob will be very disappointed in your decision. ....[emoji23]

happyspyder2039
08-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Might also try some bg 44k fuel cleaner or startron and see if it's just the fuel!