PDA

View Full Version : Elio

oldguyinTX
08-16-2014, 01:29 PM
The Elio isn't dead yet. 84mpg Divide that by three and that's about what my RT gets.

http://autos.aol.com/article/three-wheeled-elio-closer-to-sale/

ARtraveler
08-16-2014, 01:42 PM
An update from yesterday on the internet news.

Elio production is now scheduled for third quarter 2015. It has been moved back again. It is always another year off when they change it.

Elio has applied to the Feds for a $185 million dollar loan. (I and others have said that they were going to need a whole lot of money besides the $100 to $1000 deposits they have been collecting from potential customers.) Will they get a loan?

The latest said they could be purchased at 60 Elio shops in major cities--not franchises. They would be serviced at Pep Boys.

:bbq::bbq::bbq:

Chupaca
08-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Still idle threats...still waiting to see if it all comes to be as advertised for years it seems...:dontknow:

Rando
08-16-2014, 03:13 PM
The Elio was a big hit at the Woodward Dream Cruise today. The line to sit in it wrapped around the crowd a couple of times. Paul Elio was present to meet in person and answer questions. He seemed to enjoy responding to all the naysayers.

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com

SNOOPY
08-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Still ugly.

Bob Denman
08-16-2014, 04:44 PM
I like the integrated headlights better. When they were hung on pods off of the snout... :shocked:
Time will tell, and I'm still hopeful! :D
I'll let you know, when I get to "optimistic"!

ulflyer
08-17-2014, 07:05 PM
I would think they are beginning to ramp up the production shop by now if they expect to produce cars next year. Has anyone seen any pictures yet? All I see is them collection money for "someday down the road".............

Rando
08-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Q. When will you start being physically in Shreveport factory?
A. Getting ready to liquidate the equipment we don't need, which will make room to make it easier to move and identify what we don't need, but there are multiple options in terms of mathematical value is why we haven't done that yet. We're far enough it just depends if these negotiations pan out whether we go right or left, as soon as we finalize one of those deals you'll start seeing some action in Shreveport. It could happen as soon as a couple of weeks if it goes one way or a couple of months if it goes the other way.

Bob Denman
08-18-2014, 06:54 AM
:shocked: What the Hell was that??? :shocked:
Quadruple-Speak?? :gaah:

Oldmanzues
08-18-2014, 09:02 AM
I have it on wonderfull authority that the Elio is close to going on sale. That is according to the Dayton, Ohio paper today.

Of course there are few problems with the story. It will be licensed as a motorcyle, but they do not have to fllow motorcycle rules, like wearing a helmet or having a endorsement. Still insists it has a five star safety rating. Has A/c, which I had not heard of before. As before, sold in company owned stores, which I believe is still ileagal in Ohio and others.

It wll be interdesting if it ever makes it on the road, what will different states rules be, in light of the Spyder rules on this matter.
Oldmanzues

DJFaninTN
08-18-2014, 09:09 AM
Q. When will you start being physically in Shreveport factory?
A. Getting ready to liquidate the equipment we don't need, which will make room to make it easier to move and identify what we don't need, but there are multiple options in terms of mathematical value is why we haven't done that yet. We're far enough it just depends if these negotiations pan out whether we go right or left, as soon as we finalize one of those deals you'll start seeing some action in Shreveport. It could happen as soon as a couple of weeks if it goes one way or a couple of months if it goes the other way.

sounds like this person could work for our current dear leader in Washington. keeps talking but not saying a darn word.

ARtraveler
08-18-2014, 12:56 PM
As everyone knows, I have not been the biggest Elio supporter in the world. :roflblack: Have posted many of the things that "don't seem to be right," etc.

Lots of red flags, delays, and seemingly insurmountable obstacles in the way of the product.

Bottom line--I will change my opinion once the Elio's hit the road, people start posting about how much they like them, and what a wonderful, quality machine it is. The $6,800 price and the 84 mpg (highway) will be an added bonus. :bbq::bbq:

Rando
08-19-2014, 12:48 PM
http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/story/d/story/elio-applies-for-us-dept-of-energy-loan/29107/ibwbB2afRUWUODVLVGdo_g (http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/story/d/story/elio-applies-for-us-dept-of-energy-loan/29107/ibwbB2afRUWUODVLVGdo_g)

Bob Denman
08-19-2014, 12:53 PM
I wish them the best of luck! :2thumbs:
105 Million? :shocked:
Will they pay this back, or should I ask for a Tee-Shirt in exchange for my tax dollars? :D

ARtraveler
08-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Old news. See post #2 :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Rando
08-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Old news, new article. I was most interested in this snippet:

"Elio adds the company had its best reservation day this past Saturday. 412 buyers pre-ordered the three-wheeled vehicle at an auto show in Michigan.

The company now has more than 28,000 pre-orders."

see post #4

ARtraveler
08-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Old news, new article. I was most interested in this snippet:

"Elio adds the company had its best reservation day this past Saturday. 412 buyers pre-ordered the three-wheeled vehicle at an auto show in Michigan."

"The company now has more than 28,000 pre-orders."

:2thumbs: The list keeps growing. Still hope they can pull it off--despite all odds.

Bob Denman
08-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Randy,
I'm rooting for them... :thumbup:
But I can't afford to do it with my wallet, until I see product in the parking lots. :shocked:

Oldmanzues
08-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Carbon Motors had a lot better busness plan for making Police vehicles in In, but the fed said no to that one.
It would be interesting to see the Elio make it, but ??
Oldmanzues

Dan_Ashley
08-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Carbon Motors had a lot better busness plan for making Police vehicles in In, but the fed said no to that one.
It would be interesting to see the make it, but ??
Oldmanzues
The Feds have approved very few applications. None for three wheelers at all. Very few for two wheelers. I had a list, but I can't find it now. (Edit: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/05/has-the-dept-of-energys-advanced-technology-vehicle-manufacturing-program-been-a-failure-not-really/ )

from the DOE website, here are the eligibility requirements: I bolded a very important requirement.

ATVM ELIGIBILITY
ATVM loans may be made to applicants who are technically and financially eligible in order to finance the cost of:

reequipping, expanding or establishing manufacturing facilities in the United States to produce ATVs or qualifying components or
engineering integration performed in the United States of ATVs or qualifying components.
In order to be technically eligible for an ATVM loan, an applicant must be either:

an automotive manufacturer satisfying specified fuel economy requirements or
a manufacturer of qualifying components.
In order to be financially eligible for an ATVM loan, an applicant must be financially viable without the receipt of additional federal funding for the proposed project.

Please see Section I of the “Updated Guidance for Applicants to Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan Program” for more information on general eligibility requirements.

If you are not eligible for the ATVM Loan Program, click here to learn about several other government programs that offer support for clean energy projects.

markyodo
08-21-2014, 06:50 AM
I would just like to know how they are able to keep the cost down to under $7k vs. something like a Spyder costing $15k - $24k? I am really curious. :dontknow:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-21-2014, 06:55 AM
The Elio isn't dead yet. 84mpg Divide that by three and that's about what my RT gets.

http://autos.aol.com/article/three-wheeled-elio-closer-to-sale/

are you talking about dividing the mileage or price by 3

Bob Denman
08-21-2014, 07:08 AM
I would just like to know how they are able to keep the cost down to under $7k vs. something like a Spyder costing $15k - $24k? I am really curious. :dontknow:

There's a difference between saying what a price migh be...

...and what it actually turns out to be! :gaah:

While we are hopeful that they manage to pull this off... I'm not holding my breath!

Rando
08-21-2014, 07:42 AM
From the CEO, Paul Elio:

Q. How close are you to reaching the $6800 and 84mpg?
A. Right now if we launched today we are at $7300 and 81mpg. So I'm keeping everyone's feet to the fire pushing towards $6800.

Bob Denman
08-21-2014, 07:49 AM
My fingers are crossed for them!! :thumbup:

ThreeWheels
08-21-2014, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=Dan_Ashley;860699]The Feds have approved very few applications.
[B]In order to be financially eligible for an ATVM loan, an applicant must be financially viable without the receipt of additional federal funding for the proposed project [B][QUOTE]

How typical. The only way the government will give you a loan is if you don't need it.

ARtraveler
08-21-2014, 02:06 PM

In an earlier thread--now closed--but readable, we discussed costing ad nauseum. Those who are knowledgeable about cost accounting for manufacturing, do not see how the ballpark $7K price point can be achieved. Mr. Elios spreadsheet with numbers was not according to GAAP and would never fly in real life.

The folks at BRP know what they are doing with cost accounting and the reality of the true prices shows.

I have tried not to spar with Rando as I know he is convinced otherwise on the Elio. He is sounding like an employee of Elio at the moment and quoting the "company" line again.

I have been quiet, but when I see this stuff come up again, I feel I have to put on the Consumer Advocate suit. Am very afraid that the 28,000 people (latest amount quoted) with deposits down are going to lose their money and the Elio--if it gets on the streets, will turn out to be another Yugo.

Rando
08-21-2014, 06:15 PM
http://www.product-reviews.net/2014/08/21/elio-motors-attempts-to-alleviate-scam-fears/

Disclaimer. I have no ties to Elio other than I gave them a deposit. I believe in the American way and hope they are successful.

Bob Denman
08-22-2014, 07:04 AM
I'm glad to see that they are aware of how things are sounding out here... :thumbup:
Build and market it; I'll have one! :D

ARtraveler
08-22-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm glad to see that they are aware of how things are sounding out here... :thumbup:
Build and market it; I'll have one! :D

Just curious Bob. How do you think the Elio will perform in winter climates? The :spyder2:, for me anyway, is not a winter machine. It slips, and slides when there is any snow or ice on the road. I end up parking it from October till March.

The very few that actually drive the :spyder2: in winter are exceptions to the rule. My dealer was one, studded snow tires and all, he parked it after a couple rides.

I also bring up my example of safety. Not sure if the protection offered by Elio would stand up to some SUV, pickup, or other car crashing into me as they are doing their "out of control" dance on the highway. The light weight and single wheel drive does not sound like a very good winter driving option. :dontknow:

spyryder
08-22-2014, 01:41 PM
I also bring up my example of safety. Not sure if the protection offered by Elio would stand up to some SUV, pickup, or other car crashing into me as they are doing their "out of control" dance on the highway. The light weight and single wheel drive does not sound like a very good winter driving option. :dontknow:

It's front wheel drive. :lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
08-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Front wheel drive will help; but there's still got to be some seeing, to be some believing! :D :thumbup:

Rando
08-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Watch the Elio make easy work of the snow!:
http://youtu.be/lQRktJtrgHs

Lamonster
08-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Here's a rumor I heard this week that makes more sense than anything. What I heard is the Elio will be fueled by a proprietary fuel cell that you will purchase from your local PepBoys. You won't be fueling this thing at your local gas station. PepBoys is listed as a Official Service Center.

ARtraveler
08-22-2014, 01:58 PM
It's front wheel drive. :lecturef_smilie:

So, the front wheel drive is going to protect me if an out of control SUV runs into me and crushes me inside the one door only Elio. Hello, jaws of life. Glad to know that my safety has been taken care of. :roflblack:

Four wheel drive is not even enough. I have talked many times about our famous "ditch divers" here in Alaska. Put snow and ice on the roads and you will see 20 or more vehicles upside down in the ditch in a 10 mile stretch. Prior to ending up there, they were singing "I am invincible, I have a four wheel drive."

Okay, I surrender. Enjoy your Elio. :yes::yes::yes::yes:

I will be back when its either on the road or a bust. :lecturef_smilie:

ARtraveler
08-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Here's a rumor I heard this week that makes more sense than anything. What I heard is the Elio will be fueled by a proprietary fuel cell that you will purchase from your local PepBoys. You won't be fueling this thing at your local gas station. PepBoys is listed as a Official Service Center.

Okay I surrender. Enjoy your new Elios. :yes::yes::yes:

ARtraveler
08-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Watch the Elio make easy work of the snow!:
http://youtu.be/lQRktJtrgHs

Okay, I surrender. Enjoy your new Elio. :yes::yes::yes::yes:

Bob Denman
08-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Is it just me, or was it understeering an awful lot on the snowy turns? :shocked:

Lamonster
08-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Okay I surrender. Enjoy your new Elios. :yes::yes::yes:

I think you missed my point. How much is that 84mpg going to cost you per gal if you have to buy it from PepBoys? Could be $10.00 gal?

ARtraveler
08-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I think you missed my point. How much is that 84mpg going to cost you per gal if you have to buy it from PepBoys? Could be $10.00 gal?

Yes, that one went right over my head. :bowdown::bowdown:

ARtraveler
08-22-2014, 03:07 PM
http://idiotprufs.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/fantasy_island_mr-_roarke_and_tattoo.jpg

Rando
10-08-2014, 09:54 AM
http://www.businessreport.com/article/20141008/BUSINESSREPORT0112/141009831 (http://www.businessreport.com/article/20141008/BUSINESSREPORT0112/141009831)

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/money/business/2014/10/08/elio-assures-make-wheeler/16894951/ (http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/money/business/2014/10/08/elio-assures-make-wheeler/16894951/)

Bob Denman
10-08-2014, 10:42 AM
I hope that you're right, and I wish him well! :2thumbs:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-08-2014, 12:32 PM
It's a great concept, we will see when it comes out. i think a major drawback is in general public needed a m/c license
in order to drive it

ARtraveler
10-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Another delay until the end of 2015.

Some people have been waiting with their deposits for about four years plus now.

I think its time to quit reviving this thread. All we have done is point and counterpoint over all the issues.

How about reviving this when the Elios are actually being produced and customer orders are being filled. Till then--I see nothing new or worth talking about.

:bdh::bdh:

Bob Denman
10-08-2014, 12:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yop62wQH498

Joe T.
10-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Best car EVER!!!!!!

http://gas2.org/2013/08/21/the-elio-motors-saga-if-it-looks-like-a-dale-and-quacks-like-a-dale/

Ya' gotta love it!

;)

Joe T.

Rando
10-08-2014, 01:51 PM
I think its time to quit reviving this thread.If I don't like a thread, I don't read it. Just saying.:joke:

ARtraveler
10-08-2014, 01:56 PM
If I don't like a thread, I don't read it. Just saying.:joke:

Sorry on this one--but I am a "Consumer Advocate."

Bob Denman
10-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Can we all agree, that it would be better for everyone involved; if he CAN bring it to market? :D
The odds of him doing so, are irrelevant for this part of the discussion.

Dan_Ashley
10-08-2014, 03:54 PM
For Paul Elio to get the government loan he has to convince the lenders that Elio Motors is a viable business even if he did not get the loan. Can he do that? If not, he doesn't have enough cash to set up a vehicle manufacturing factory.

...he still doesn't have a final, or near final, prototype, and he is still not recruiting for engineers (or anybody else) on his web site...So, can he really show that his dream has business viability?

Rando
10-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Oh boy!

Bob Denman
10-15-2014, 12:22 PM
:shocked: Well that's not good... :shocked:
But it IS funny! :D

ARtraveler
10-15-2014, 02:41 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs:

A little humor can help here. Thanks Rando. :yes:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-15-2014, 04:46 PM
i'm still waiting for the silver surfer movie to come out that stanley leiber talked about at the phil sueling convention in 1976

Rando
10-24-2014, 07:45 AM
One step closer ....

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/elio-motors-passes-first-review-141800569.html

Bob Denman
10-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Interesting... Thanks! :thumbup:

Dan_Ashley
10-24-2014, 02:02 PM
One step closer ....

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/elio-motors-passes-first-review-141800569.htmlhere are the loan requirements: http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/05/f16/ATVM-Program-Application-Overview.pdf

note: it differentiates types of capital invested. It specifically states that the loan provides only expansion capital, not working capital. As a result Paul Elio must come up with enough cash to run his factory until sales revenue come it.

For example, if you are running an ice cream shop, the acquisition of your store front, furniture, fixtures, and appliances is financed with "expansion capital". Of course if you rent the store front, the needed amount of expansion capital will be less than if you buy it. Working capital is the money needed to fund your ice cream inventory, pay for electricity, payroll and other things between the time of business formation and the time money is available from sales to pay for these items.

In the case of an ice cream shop, this would be only the money needed to pay for the ice cream the day you open, and a set aside for salaries and expenses until money from ice cream sales reached such a level that the shop had a positive cash flow.

In the case of a major fixed goods manufacturer, such as a vehicle manufacturer, the amount of money needed would be that required to buy the raw materials, hire staff, develop the machinery, train the staff, from opening day until the money from sales is available to fund operations.

Elio Motors does not have an engine designed yet, has no engineering staff, and very few employees. It's management team is inexperienced and untested in creating new business models. They have very little entrepreneural experience. This is a an important management skill. Not all experienced executives have that skill. Bill Gates has that skill, Lee Iacocca did not.

The DOE, by stating the loan application from Elio Motors has passed the first phase of review only means that the application materials are now complete, and only now will the DOE start a formal review process. This is similar to when a prospective student enrolling in college. First the student must fill out the application form, then he must take the SAT and send the results to the school, then he must submit his transcripts. After all of that, the student still has to get written references and write his own essay. Only after all of that is complete will the school "accept the application" and start reviewing the student's background to see if they think the student will be successful at that particular university.

So far, Elio Motors has completed phase one: the application has been accepted. Phase two where the student is assessed for chances of success is just now starting. Then phase three where the student is assessed for an overall fit with the school's desired outcome is studied. After passing all the phases, the student will get an admittance letter.

Elio Motors has had its loan application accepted. It has a loong way to go to get the cash needed to set up operations.

Will it be successful? I do not know. I flunked Clairvoyance 101. However, My opinion is that it will not be successful in achieving a DOE loan.

ARtraveler
10-24-2014, 02:08 PM
here are the loan requirements: http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/05/f16/ATVM-Program-Application-Overview.pdf

note: it differentiates types of capital invested.

What do you think Dan? According to what I read this AM, they have passed the first hurdle of three to get their 185 million loan.

If they get the financing, then it will be interesting if they are able to do what they said they would.

I will remain a bit skeptical until I see the deliveries being made to the now 35,000 people that they say they have orders from. I also want to see how the product is holding up after 6 months or so of ownership and 10K plus miles on the units.

I still remember the Solarian (?) debacle where the company got almost a billion of the taxpayer money to produce solar panels and then promptly went bankrupt. No one even went to jail over that one.

:bbq::bbq::bbq:

Dan_Ashley
10-24-2014, 03:56 PM
What do you think Dan? According to what I read this AM, they have passed the first hurdle of three to get their 185 million loan.

If they get the financing, then it will be interesting if they are able to do what they said they would.

I will remain a bit skeptical until I see the deliveries being made to the now 35,000 people that they say they have orders from. I also want to see how the product is holding up after 6 months or so of ownership and 10K plus miles on the units.

I still remember the Solarian (?) debacle where the company got almost a billion of the taxpayer money to produce solar panels and then promptly went bankrupt. No one even went to jail over that one.

:bbq::bbq::bbq:i absolutely agree with your scepticism. As Tesla has shown, starting a new car company is not easy, it takes a lot of investment, and a lot of time. Remember Apterra? That was a much snazzier design. What about the Edsel, De Soto, Fleetwood motor homes, Cushman, Delorian? It takes a lot of money, time and management expertise to make a car company successful.

Also, if this were as simply doable, one of the majors would have done it. Toyota is coming out with a three wheeler, they call the i-Road, with an expected price point of about $10,000. But it is electric and goes only (I think) 30 MPH max--or so.

I reviewed the CV of the Elio Motors executives. They are not bad, but they are not "venture capitalist entrepreneurs." I akso do not see how it is remotely possible to create and market a car at the $7,000 price point. Perhaps at the $10,000 price point, but $7,000 seems too low--especially when there is no dealer network, no other flanking or guarding products, and no corporate expertise outside of a single man. Elio Motors cannot leverage their existing organizational structure, skills, or expertise. Therefore a single-product venture into the car market is highly uncertain and very risky.

so, even if he actually gets funding, I would be surprised if it were successful.

If I had $1,000 to "invest" in super risky schemes, I would probably visit Las Vegas slot machines before I would buy Elio Motors stock.

Bob Denman
10-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the very clear explanation of what may lie ahead for them. :thumbup:
I got the "first part of the" part of the release, but didn't understand what was involved in the other two...

Or how the money could be spent!

i still hope that they can pull this rabbit, out of a hat! :D

ekfraz
10-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Remember the YUGO?

Trickie Dick
10-24-2014, 08:01 PM
What I'd like to know is what are their plans for paying back this $188 million. How many Elios do they have to sell to pay this back assuming a net profit of %10. At $7800 a pop and a $780 profit it's gonna take a long time to pay any of that back. Plus they've got to pay all those T shirts they gave out to their "Investors".

Art Mann
10-24-2014, 08:46 PM
I had never heard of this thing before. I appreciate posters bringing it to my attention for the entertainment value if nothing else.

pickelhead
10-24-2014, 09:03 PM
The people behind the Elios used to be called Snake Oil salesmen or Flim Flam artists. Same scam, different century. :doorag::lecturef_smilie:

Dan_Ashley
10-25-2014, 01:41 AM
The people behind the Elios used to be called Snake Oil salesmen or Flim Flam artists. Same scam, different century. :doorag::lecturef_smilie:
I think it is more a case of enthusiasm and hope exceeding the probability of success. Kinda like when a teenager says she is going to grow up and be a Broadway star and raise three kids. It can happen, but the odds are agin it.

ARtraveler
10-25-2014, 02:43 PM
What I'd like to know is what are their plans for paying back this $188 million. How many Elios do they have to sell to pay this back assuming a net profit of %10. At $7800 a pop and a $780 profit it's gonna take a long time to pay any of that back. Plus they've got to pay all those T shirts they gave out to their "Investors".

Pay back, I don't think so in our lifetime. :roflblack: They have not even started to build them yet. :yikes:

I won't say more because I have answered and spoke to many of the number things in previous threads. My background is accounting and cost accounting. Dan Ashley has also addressed the numbers issues in this and other threads. He has similar background.

ARtraveler
10-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Remember the YUGO?

Considered to be one of the top 10 worst cars ever made. :yikes:

Bob Denman
10-25-2014, 06:13 PM
TruE... But it had a LOT of help! :shocked:

Oldmanzues
10-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Considered to be one of the top 10 worst cars ever made. :yikes:

A couple of polls said, it was THE worst car ever made.
More Yugo jokes then blond jokes. Yugo all true
Oldmanzues

Rando
10-26-2014, 05:11 AM
Reponse from a member of the Elio team .... not me.

Yeah.. lots of experts that pass judgment without even taking a peek at the full business plan. Wow.

ATVM

1.Equipping, expanding or establishing manufacturing facilities in the United States to produce ATVs or qualifying components or
2.Engineering integration performed in the United States of ATVs or qualifying components.

Hey.. in the least, that frees up a lot of our capital for operations. All of these costs we currently are paying ourselves.

We DO have an engine designed.. will be dry spun, then completely tested mid November.

Our own engineers? It was faster to hire firms with the expertise than running our own. I laugh about how one can criticize our supposedly lack of managerial skills, then criticize Elio for not having our own engineers. How about IAV designing our drivetrain? They did the Bugatti and a host of other high end vehicles. Good enough for me. Altair does work for all the majors. This isn’t either of these firms first rodeo. It is by far the best approach.. hiring those who have done this 1000’s of times. GM has their own “engineers” How many recalls did they have this year….. so far?

Management Team? Not good enough? No experience? BoD: The previous CEO of Chrysler(also on Sirius BoD, Snap-On and a host of others.? The previous CEO of Lear Corp(also on a number of other boards)? A previous VP of Mercedes Benz, President of SMART USA and launched the SMART here? Paul Elio owned his own engineering firm with 40 plus engineers working for him. He did new product development for the auto industry. I will take that team anytime..

Aptera? They want to compare us to Aptera? Over 40K for an electric vehicle.. range 100 miles. Because of the curved design I don’t think the windows would even roll down. No wonder it didn’t make it. Not even close to functional. 4,000K reservations tops.. $100 refundable. And they could only get 4000K somewhere around two years or more? Compare that to Elio. Over 35,000 reservations with the vast majority Non Refundable form 100-1000.00. Compare that to sales last year of the VOLT (23,094) The Leaf (22,610) The Tesla (17, 650) There is huge acceptance of a vehicle that costs 6800.00 84 MPG and a 672 mile range. And our windows roll down.. I talked to a previous exec of Aptera who said: “You are going about this in exactly the right way… we didn’t”

A backwoods’ analysis of Elio Motors doesn’t impress me much.. not when I know that the 34 of the automotive companies top suppliers all did their own DD on Paul Elio, Elio Motors business model, the viability of that model, and chose to partner with Elio Motors at a time when they didn’t need the business. So did investors do their own DD.. so did Racer Trust.. So did Comau who is our factory design partner(one out of every 3 autos in the world is manufactured with a Comau designed plant.)

One thing for sure, no matter what the issue or potential bumps in the road, Elio Motors always has several other pathways to success. Most of the critics never ask the “how” they just inject their doubts based on opinion.. we are used to that.

Bob Denman
10-26-2014, 08:38 AM
I guess that only time, will tell us how this story ends...
I still wish them well, and hope that it all comes to market!

ARtraveler
10-26-2014, 06:56 PM
http://idiotprufs.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/fantasy_island_mr-_roarke_and_tattoo.jpg

Rando
10-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Is that a welcome to Fantasy Island or a good bye wave! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
10-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Is that a welcome to Fantasy Island or a good bye wave! :roflblack:

As long as the hype and free ads for the product continue, I will be back as often as I feel is necessary.

I will be happy when I see the production happening and the customers receive the product that they bargained for.

Statements from the slicksters and their op ed pieces don't go very far--IMO.

Bob Denman
10-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Randy,
Nobody will be happier than me; when you post the pics of yours at home in the driveway... nojoke

Rando
11-16-2014, 08:16 PM
​http://masterherald.com/elio-motors-continuing-with-application-for-185-million-federal-loan/3183/

ARtraveler
11-17-2014, 01:21 AM
"Check out the last sentence"
​http://masterherald.com/elio-motors-continuing-with-application-for-185-million-federal-loan/3183/

"Those who’re interested can go place their pre-order now, as it looks like the company is going to obtain its loan and start active production very soon."

Looks like another ad to me. When the now 35,000 (per the ad piece) pre ordered Elios are actually built and sold to the customers, I will be on board. All that is holding the program up is approval of the $185 million dollar loan from the feds. (A lot said the project did not have enough money to be successful on its own).
:bbq::bbq::bbq: And yes, I hope this tale comes true also.

Bfromla
11-17-2014, 05:22 AM
It's a trike with more to custom paint! http://lumilor.com.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
11-17-2014, 08:02 AM
:shocked: This thread (And Company!), appear to have more lives than an entire herd of barn cats... ;)