PDA

View Full Version : Shadetree Mechanic Day

Trbayth
08-15-2014, 03:42 PM
So I spent some time day playing shadetree mechanic and finding/checking some of the components on this bike. For example, where's the battery and how do I get to it? Where are the fuse boxes? Coolant? etc, etc. Found some interesting things:

1. Coolant level was a bit low when stone cold. Not enough to cause a problem, I think, but it was below the cold line (tough to read, the plastic's not transparent enough.) Topped it off a bit with some 50/50 I had to just above the cold line.

2. Was about to post a message asking where none of the fuse values matched the labels on the covers. Then I realized the covers were installed backwards. It's Right and Left from the PoV of the rider, not someone looking into the frunk from the front. "No, dealer prep person, the other left."

3. Found a rubber o-ring underneath the frunk liner. It's about 5 or 6 inches in diameter. Not sure if it's a spare for something or should be installed somewhere important?

4. Felt a little slipperiness around the brake reservoir caps. Checked the fluid level and it looked ok (another hard-to-read level here too) and the gaskets in the caps looked ok too. No drips anywhere so I just wiped it up and will monitor it. I wonder if these bikes are shipped empty of fluids and the dealer does the initial fills?

5. Got the front up on a pair of car ramps to have a look see underneath.

Nice day of tinkering!

Trb--

billybovine
08-15-2014, 04:12 PM
The fuse box covers are factory installed and no need to remove them during dealer assembly. Unless yours is a 2013 and they were replaced with new ones as part of a service bulletin.

The rubber o-ring sounds like the one that holds the tool kit in. Upper left side of the trunk.

Make sure you put the brake reservoir caps back on the the correct way. The rib pointing to the rear. If they are facing forward there is a greater chance of a leak.

Chupaca
08-15-2014, 04:29 PM
best way to get aquainted with your spyder. These are great thing to know when traveling about. :agree: will the break down of your questions..enjoy and be safe..!! :2thumbs:

Trbayth
08-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Make sure you put the brake reservoir caps back on the the correct way. The rib pointing to the rear. If they are facing forward there is a greater chance of a leak.

2014. The ribs are pointing to the rear at about the 11:00 position.

Trb--