PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Modulator?

wd8ajj
08-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Anyone installed a headlight modulator in there Spyder?
If so, who's and how did you install it.

Spacetrucker
08-13-2014, 09:28 PM
On rss they make them but for rts not yet, some thing about head light set up? But my rss I have them on .

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-14-2014, 01:34 AM
Yes, I did and it works good on my 2013 RT. I'm not home now and won't be until Monday so can't give you the schematic of how I did it. I think it was the Signal Dynamics unit. I had to install a relay to move the power from the high beam circuit to the low beam because the low beam is tied into the high beam in the factory setup and I had to cut the jumper that goes from low to high beam.

I'll explain more when I can send the schematic I drew up.

Unfortunately it is not a plug and play situation.

Dan McNally
08-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Yes, I did and it works good on my 2013 RT. I'm not home now and won't be until Monday so can't give you the schematic of how I did it. I think it was the Signal Dynamics unit. I had to install a relay to move the power from the high beam circuit to the low beam because the low beam is tied into the high beam in the factory setup and I had to cut the jumper that goes from low to high beam.

I'll explain more when I can send the schematic I drew up.

Unfortunately it is not a plug and play situation.

I wish they'd develop one for the RT that allowed you to turn it off when you didn't want it flashing . . . like when you are at a stoplight, behind someone . . . I don't want to be "that guy" who is flashing lights in the rear view mirror of the car in front of him. But it sure would be nice to have on when you weren't behind someone in traffic. Flashing lights get people's attention . . . there would be many fewer: "I didn't see him" incidents, I believe.

jaherbst
08-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Those and M/C's writing with there brights on P-ss me off. Day running lights are sufficient.

Jack

Bob Denman
08-14-2014, 08:44 AM
I'd be concerned about the shutter system on the RTs... :shocked:
I'm more than sufficiently dumb about electrical sturr; but if those shutters need to move in order to switch from high beam to low... :yikes:
Wouldn't a modulator really monkey things-up? :dontknow:

Dan McNally
08-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Those and M/C's writing with there brights on P-ss me off. Day running lights are sufficient.

Jack

I suspect what pisses you off is someone who misuses high beams, and doesn't dim them when appropriate. Just because there are :cus: out there who misuse things doesn't make the technology bad . . . when properly used, it saves lives.

If day running lights are sufficient, why do so many people who turn in front of motorcycles or pull out in front of them claim: "I never saw him!"? I've lost friends through the years who had that happen to them.

I'd rather piss off a person in a car, sitting at an intersection, than have the :cus: pull out in front of me and I T-bone them.

Dan McNally
08-14-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm more than sufficiently dumb about electrical sturr; but if those shutters need to move in order to switch from high beam to low... :yikes:

That's why I don't have one . . . hopefully, someone will develop one for the RT that takes that into consideration . . .

Cruzr Joe
08-14-2014, 08:56 AM

I am not allowed to talk about electrical items. :lecturef_smilie:

Cruzr Joe

Motorcycledave
08-14-2014, 10:27 AM
I wish EVERY Motorcycle and 3 wheeled Spyder, T-Rex etc came standard with
the modulators from the factory they get the drivers attention coming at you.
some try to get by with high beam lights, I am one of them... once you have
been hit by a car and survived you will do the same I don't want to get hit again
In this day and age people are texting, BSing on the phone messing around with the
fancy radios in the car and in general not watching the road ahead:yikes:, anything that can
wake them up is OK with me. :thumbup:
Dave

Jack

ChasCS
08-14-2014, 11:02 AM
They are a handy feature to have available, and makes saying hello to an oncoming bike much safer.
Glad it's part of my light switch.

http://www.headlightmodulator.com

We used to flash our brights to warn of impending danger ahead.
Or of speed traps and such. ;-)

Chas

Flamewinger
08-14-2014, 12:03 PM
I had the KRISS modulator on my Goldwing and for the last 3 years, after installing a set of quartz spot lights, I haven't used the modulator much. Only when splitting lanes did it come in handy. The spot lights are way more visible and eye catching. So for my Spyder I installed CD's LED Cool Magic lights.

oldgoat
08-14-2014, 12:31 PM
I had a headlight modulator on my Burgman 650 Maxiscoot & the Quebec Provincial police told me to stop using it. Gave me a warning & next time said it would be a ticket.

jaherbst
08-14-2014, 03:14 PM
I suspect what pisses you off is someone who misuses high beams, and doesn't dim them when appropriate. Just because there are :cus: out there who misuse things doesn't make the technology bad . . . when properly used, it saves lives.

If day running lights are sufficient, why do so many people who turn in front of motorcycles or pull out in front of them claim: "I never saw him!"? I've lost friends through the years who had that happen to them.

I'd rather piss off a person in a car, sitting at an intersection, than have the :cus: pull out in front of me and I T-bone them.

The brights or modulators will not cure this human fallacy. I know , or knew people with modulators and bright lights on who were killed anyway. They were not seen because of the human factor that they were looking for a car or truck and blocked out the motorcycle. Many studies have been done and the answer was always "I did not see him/her" because subconsciously they were looking for a car.

I know of two deaths where drivers intensionally pulled over halfway into the on coming lane because they "were pissed from bright lights from motorcycles driving with there brights on and not dimming them when proper both day and night."Drivers both later claimed they were blinded or fell asleep. We know better. I continue flashing my brights at two and three wheelers when annoyed by this.

The moral of the story is be considerate, use daylight running lights and don't ride with your brights on all the time. Modern day brights can be blinding and extremely annoying whether it be two, three or four wheels. When I lead this is part of my briefing. Now one wants to lead a formation that has there brights on. Every time you check the group all you get is one big glare.

Jack

jaherbst
08-14-2014, 03:23 PM
been hit by a car and survived you will do the same I don't want to get hit again
In this day and age people are texting, BSing on the phone messing around with the
fancy radios in the car and in general not watching the road ahead:yikes:, anything that can
Dave
Try slowing down at intersections and watching the wheels of the opposing traffic. This is the best advice I can give any rider. Just because your light is green don't whizz through the intersection at the speed limit because you have the right away. "Slooow down" You may get the "right of way taken away".

Jack

robmorg
08-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Wouldn't a modulator really monkey things-up? :dontknow:Bob,

No, the shutter itself is not the problem. From looking at the schematics in the shop manual, the problem seems to be that on North American units there is no separate high and low beam filaments within the upper headlamp bulbs. Thats why the two circuits are shunted together, as WasWinger said in his post above. It's the shutter that makes them high and low. The shutter is operated when the switch is in the low beam position. So, powering the modulator system would have to come from the High beam relay, rather than from the bulb itself as is the case with conventional motorcycles.

The modulator system should work ONLY when the high beams are on, and ONLY in the daytime. Ideally this is automatic. No need to ever turn the system on or off. With conventional motorcycles, the system gets it's power from the high beam side of the headlight. There is also a light sensor that you mount on the outside of the bike somewhere which allows the unit to run only in daylight - never at night.

With the Spyder (made for North America), as said above, you would have to get your power from the "high beam" relay inside the RH fuse box. This shouldn't affect the operation of the shutter itself, but would likely require the addition of a new relay to bypass the shutter circuitry (since the shunt is before that point in the headlamp circuit).

That's most likely what WasWinger was talking about in his post above. I will be anxious to see his schematic that he made after he gets back home and has a chance to post it.

robmorg
08-14-2014, 03:51 PM
The brights or modulators will not cure this human fallacy. I know , or knew people with modulators and bright lights on who were killed anyway. They were not seen because of the human factor that they were looking for a car or truck and blocked out the motorcycle. Many studies have been done and the answer was always "I did not see him/her" because subconsciously they were looking for a car.

I know of two deaths where drivers intensionally pulled over halfway into the on coming lane because they "were pissed from bright lights from motorcycles driving with there brights on and not dimming them when proper both day and night."Drivers both later claimed they were blinded or fell asleep. We know better. I continue flashing my brights at two and three wheelers when annoyed by this.

The moral of the story is be considerate, use daylight running lights and don't ride with your brights on all the time. Modern day brights can be blinding and extremely annoying whether it be two, three or four wheels. When I lead this is part of my briefing. Now one wants to lead a formation that has there brights on. Every time you check the group all you get is one big glare.

JackJack,

With all due respect, what you are saying ONLY applies to night time driving. I agree that motorcyclists should respect other drivers by switching to low beams when there is oncoming traffic - just like you'd do in a car.

However, during daylight hours, EVERYONE on two or three wheels should run all the time with their high beams on precisely for the reason that you point out... Other drivers subconsciously do not see our smaller vehicles. High Beams (not just daylight running lights) WILL help us be seen in daylight hours. Anything that makes us stand out will help us be better seen. That's why it would indeed be helpful if there was a way to easily modulate our high beams during daylight hours.

bill pitman
08-14-2014, 04:26 PM

http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/pathblazer.html
Go to this website,
I installed a modulator around 4 years ago, on my 2009 GS.
It was plug and play, controlling the low beam only.
Switching to Hi Beam turns modulator off.
A photo sensor turns the modulation off around dusk.
I love it and feel it does alert other drivers.
I don't remember the model number......I went and looked- P115W-D6
Called and talk to someone at Kisan Technologies!
EDIT-
Andy888-464-5472 x11
andy@kisantech.com- Don't know if he's still there, I pulled this info from a 2010 email

Note- can not be used with H.I.D. lights

Bill

bmccaffrey
08-14-2014, 06:31 PM

I agree. Better to piss someone off then be dead

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-15-2014, 11:48 AM

I wish they'd develop one for the RT that allowed you to turn it off when you didn't want it flashing . .
The one I used and the way it is wired in I turn it on/off by switching back and forth between high and low beams. As the comment above says the headlight is a single filament bulb which is why the high and low are wired together. In my setup I use a relay to feed the single filament from both high and low beam circuits and without causing the shutter to flutter open/close. I have the modulator with both high and low beams. I also connected a lead into the horn circuit so that the modulator rate can be switched between fast and not so fast.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-15-2014, 11:57 AM

I don't have the link right now but there is a link somewhere here in the forum to an article by a British fighter pilot and biker where he discusses the physiological reality of "I never saw him." It is a real phenomenon caused by the way our brains function. A headlight modulator helps to overcome this limitation because the brain's attention is triggered by visual movements.

Andy Cserny
10-17-2014, 11:22 AM
The human brain notices MOTION and not so much the brightness of a light, although there is no arguing that the brighter a light is the more it will be seen. That is the reason that police lights, ambulance lights, RR Crossing lights, flashing brake lights all FLASH not just being bright. The human brain also notices larger objects more than smaller objects, early on noticing a sabertoothed tiger running at you was more important than noticing a rabbit. But the MOTION was the key, since a crouching tiger laying in wait went unnoticed until it started to MOVE.
I believe what pi$$es people off is modulating the HIGH beam just as it is annoying to have an unmodulated high beam coming at you day or night. I have modulated my low beam [ Gold Wings] for the past 230,000 miles or more and have never had a complaint or had a high beam flashed at me, but I have had flagmen at construction sites tell me they noticed me at a long distance and that is the whole point. Now if they are texting they will run into the side of a freight train. I drive defensively, look for turning front tires, flash my high beams if I think my right of way will be violated and slow down and have stopped to let some idiot, including a cop in Pigeon Forge, Tn cut in front of me.
Andy

bruiser
10-17-2014, 12:48 PM
You have to have a modulator that will work with the can bus system on the RT.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-17-2014, 02:30 PM
You have to have a modulator that will work with the can bus system on the RT.
I used a Signal Dynamics modulator and have had no problem with conflicts with Can Bus. It does require some different wiring method because of the shutter. I plan to write up I had did it after I get back home next week.

ARtraveler
10-17-2014, 02:40 PM
In a lot of cases, it appears that the :spyder2: has a built in modulator system. When lights are in the low beam position, many people notice that the lights appear to flash as the :ani29: goes down the road.

Functional as a modulator and only noticeable when the :spyder2: is in motion.

rb1
10-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Dave

Totally agree!!

Illinois Boy
10-17-2014, 08:11 PM

Jack

For what it is worth... Page 80 of my RTS manual states the following below.

To Be More Visible to Other Motorists
Lighting and Reflectors
Make sure that the headlights, running lights and tail lights on your vehicle work properly. Your vehicle is equipped with reflectors on the fenders, sides, and back.
Make sure that all reflectors are clean and not broken or missing.
Use your high beams whenever possible, both day and night.
Use low beams to avoid blinding other motorists at night or when too much light reflects back, such as in fog.

robmorg
10-17-2014, 11:05 PM
In a lot of cases, it appears that the :spyder2: has a built in modulator system. When lights are in the low beam position, many people notice that the lights appear to flash as the :ani29: goes down the road.

Functional as a modulator and only noticeable when the :spyder2: is in motion.REALLY??

Have you witnessed this yourself? I wonder what would cause such a thing. :dontknow:. If the shutters are moving, I'd think l would notice that while driving at night.

robmorg
10-17-2014, 11:22 PM
I used a Signal Dynamics modulator and have had no problem with conflicts with Can Bus. It does require some different wiring method because of the shutter. I plan to write up I had did it after I get back home next week. Does the Signal Dynamics modulator system include a light sensor that disables them after dark?

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-18-2014, 01:04 AM
Does the Signal Dynamics modulator system include a light sensor that disables them after dark?
Yes. All headlight modulators must have them. It's part of the Federal regulation that allows m/c to use them. Actually they turn off at dusk shortly after the sun sets. When the sun is low and I drive through the shadow of a hill or trees they will turn off. At that point I usually manually turn them off to avoid confusion caused by them turning off and on.

tip
10-18-2014, 07:28 AM
why not have a modulator hooked to auxillary lighting - same effect and doesn't annoy we people that are sensitive to bright misalignsd lights?
just a thought!!

retired1
10-18-2014, 08:28 AM
REALLY??

Have you witnessed this yourself? I wonder what would cause such a thing. :dontknow:. If the shutters are moving, I'd think l would notice that while driving at night.

I've seen and noticed this as I've met Spyders in daylight. I very seldom take the Spyder out after dark.

ARtraveler
10-18-2014, 01:23 PM
REALLY??

Really, and yes I have witnessed this many times. When my 2009 was following me and when the 2011 was following behind me. Unevenness in the road (as in up and down) causes the lights to appear to flash when the shutters are down for low beam operation.

This has actually been discussed a few times here on SL. The solution to the "problem" was posted a post or two above. Leave the lights on high beam day and night--per the manual. Move to low position if someone becomes annoyed.

robmorg
10-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Really, and yes I have witnessed this many times. When my 2009 was following me and when the 2011 was following behind me. Unevenness in the road (as in up and down) causes the lights to appear to flash when the shutters are down for low beam operation.

Interesting. Still, I'm not sure I would want to count on sufficient "unevenness in the road" at just the right spot for someone to notice my lights flickering before they were getting ready to turn left in front of me.

Just a few weeks ago, I had some idiot in the approaching lane cut into my lane of traffic to begin a left turn in front of me. I slammed my foot on the brake and he saw me in time to swerve back into his own lane. He was far enough away that I probably could have come to a full stop, rather than plowing into him, but might not be so lucky next time.

ARtraveler
10-18-2014, 03:02 PM
A downside to actual modulators that I have not mentioned. They do tend to "tick off" some of the other vehicles drivers, just like high beams on all the time.

Not saying that the "flashing effect" is the answer, but it happens frequently enough that you usually generate oncoming or frontal traffic's attention. Cars have actually pulled over because of the "flashing." This has also been mentioned in the aforementioned thread.

There really is no happy medium and I say to each their own. :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-18-2014, 04:11 PM
A downside to actual modulators that I have not mentioned. They do tend to "tick off" some of the other vehicles drivers, just like high beams on all the time.

Not saying that the "flashing effect" is the answer, but it happens frequently enough that you usually generate oncoming or frontal traffic's attention. Cars have actually pulled over because of the "flashing." This has also been mentioned in the aforementioned thread.

There really is no happy medium and I say to each their own. [emoji106]
True. But I'd much rather have someone see me & be PO'd at me than not see me & run over me! Just sayin'.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

ARtraveler
10-18-2014, 06:41 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by akspyderman http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=891577#post891577) A downside to actual modulators that I have not mentioned. They do tend to "tick off" some of the other vehicles drivers, just like high beams on all the time.

There really is no happy medium and I say to each their own. http://s3.amazonaws.com/tapatalk-emoji/emoji106.png

WasWinger Quote:
"True. But I'd much rather have someone see me & be PO'd at me than not see me & run over me! Just sayin'.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk "

Like I said, "there really is no happy medium and I say to each their own."

Must be challenge akspyderman day today. :roflblack::roflblack:

Art Mann
10-18-2014, 09:12 PM
One of the reasons I bought a Spyder is that the wide front profile is supposed to resemble a car and drivers don't have the same "motorcycle blindness" as with 2 wheeled vehicles. My first Goldwing had a headlight modulator and people would occasionally pull out in front of me anyway. My second Goldwing didn't have a modulator and I really couldn't tell any difference from my first one as far as on coming traffic was concerned.

stevedfive
10-18-2014, 10:17 PM
So is it possible to connect the modulator to the fogights?

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-18-2014, 11:13 PM
So is it possible to connect the modulator to the fogights?
Should be able to but you'd have to come up with a different switch to turn them off/on. The Signal Dynamics modulator turns off/on by switching between low and high beams. The SD tech guy told me you could put a switch into the daylight sensor wire and that would turn them off/on.

One would have to check the Federal reg though to see if it would be legal. I kind of think the reg refers to headlights only.

Ronbo
10-19-2014, 12:06 AM

Amen, better my brights briefly bouncing off their retina's than me bouncing off their hood.

robmorg
10-19-2014, 09:23 AM

There really is no happy medium and I say to each their own. :thumbup:"To each his own" is always the case, but other than the fact that they are so hard to install on a Spyder, I do not see any "downside" to headlight modulators at all. In order to be most effective, they should work with the high beams. But since they only work during daylight hours, I fail to understand why they should "tick off" anyone. The only exception that I can think of is when you are closely following someone in slow-moving traffic. But then, it should be a simple matter to turn them off by switching to low beams.