PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist in hospital after collision with moose

ChasCS
08-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Motorcyclist in hospital after collision with moose on Anthony Henday

EDMONTON JOURNAL AUGUST 13, 2014

EDMONTON - A motorcyclist is in hospital after colliding with a moose late Tuesday night on the Anthony Henday in the city’s north end.

Emergency crews responded to the crash at about 10 p.m. on Anthony Henday Drive between 127th Street and Campbell Road.

The man, believed to be in his 50s, suffered head trauma and potential spinal injuries and is being treated in hospital, said west division Staff Sgt. Barry Maron.

The moose was not injured and was located by the police’s Air-1 helicopter walking nearby.

The Edmonton Police Service’s traffic section is investigating.

Maron said it’s believed the man tried to avoid the moose and then lost control of his motorcycle.

Chas

Bob Denman
08-13-2014, 06:28 PM
You don't actually hit a Moose... :shocked:
You hit their knees, and this topples them over onto you... Crushing you to death! :yikes:

I hope that the guy recovers fully...

ARtraveler
08-13-2014, 07:40 PM
A highway encounter with a moose can be very bad. :yikes:

bruiser
08-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Moose (or meese) and elk. Either way, you'll loose.

ChasCS
08-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Gosh, I bet the moose has a couple sore ankles. Hahaha

http://globalnews.ca/news/1505709/moose-crash-leaves-motorcyclist-in-serious-condition/

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/motorcyclist-recovering-after-colliding-with-a-moose-on-the-henday-1.1958122

He was extremely fortunate. Even though...

Chas

Chupaca
08-13-2014, 11:33 PM
a spyder looks as it would be able to flip the moose up and over..they are long legged..:roflblack: If the bike in the picture is his ryde looks like he is the only one damaged..do hope he recovers nicely. :pray:

ChasCS
08-14-2014, 09:53 AM
I remember one late night, I was returning from Red Deer, and I saw something on the road way out in front of me, right in the middle of my lane on the Henday freeway. I wasn't quite sure what it was. Until it turned it's head and looked at me, barreling down on it, in a five ton truck.

I felt bad, because I wasn't sure what had just happened. When I parked and checked the front end, I discovered what I had nicked on the roadway. I had about twenty porcupine quills stuck in my front tire. ;-) Wow, that was very close, for both of us.

Yes, we live in and amongst the wildlife, and that's a small part of what makes Alberta such a wonderful place to play.
Being this far North, it's not uncommon to see deer, coyotes, and other animals along the routes.
Running into a moose, even a young one, is not my way of appreciating our wilderness and wildlife.

I hope the fellow makes a complete and speedy recovery.

Chas

jaherbst
08-14-2014, 03:26 PM
JackIt wasn't SETHO was it?

ARtraveler
08-14-2014, 03:29 PM
JackIt wasn't SETHO was it?

Edmonton Canada, rather than Bemidji MN. So--hopefully not Setho.

ChasCS
08-14-2014, 09:46 PM
These meetings between city folks and wild animals is becoming more common every year.
Especially as we spread out and build new subdivisions in previous farm and agriculture lands.

It's sad as very often the animal ends up killed by accident or shot, by uneducated but well meaning public.

There is also such a thing as 'carrying capacity of the land'.

Chas