PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Island Spyder Ryders

VIspyderman
09-30-2008, 03:22 PM
:clap: http://www.geocities.com/vispyders/ :clap:oops, spoke too soon. They shut me down for linking to SpyderLovers.com. Damn!!!

Lamonster
09-30-2008, 05:52 PM
That's not cool :dontknow:

VIspyderman
09-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Apparently I violated the terms of use by linking out of geocities. Never happened before, I guess they're arachnophobic.... couldn't resist that one.

VIspyderman
10-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Ok, The Vancouver Island Spyder Ryders site is working again... it's now at www.vispyders.com (http://www.vispyders.com)

crazycanuck
02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
lets get some action in here from the BC guys, hopefully March will bring some warmer weather and we can get out on some rides as a group.

Questions
06-10-2011, 10:39 PM
just getting the finishing touches installed on my new Spyder RT Ltd.

I live in Cloverdale BC

Give me a shout if you get over this way

VIspyderman
06-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I will be coming to Chilliwack at the end of July for a Veterens meet. Maybe then.:2thumbs:

just getting the finishing touches installed on my new Spyder RT Ltd.

I live in Cloverdale BC

Give me a shout if you get over this way

chillicpl
06-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I will be coming to Chilliwack at the end of July for a Veterens meet. Maybe then.:2thumbs:

Is that the event at Base Chilliwack?

Get in touch w/ me before you leave. I'll get the other local riders out for coffee w/ you.

cheers
Bruce

wukka
08-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Going to take the RT and some 2-wheel friends to Vancouver Island at the end of the month. Will be touching down in Port McNeill and Port Alberni. So far we plan on checking out Gold River and Ucluelet/Tofino area.

Any other areas or routes that you recommend?

Tiny1
08-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Going to take the RT and some 2-wheel friends to Vancouver Island at the end of the month. Will be touching down in Port McNeill and Port Alberni. So far we plan on checking out Gold River and Ucluelet/Tofino area.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be that much activity in this area. I personally do not have a ryde but I believe that you have chosen wisely for areas of riding interest. There is a lot of good travelling in that area. They are forcasting more heat for the end of the month. Just a heads up. Who knows where the weather prognasticators get their prediction information. You could try Lake Cowichan area, Port Renfrew to Sooke, just to name a couple more. Of coure there is the Island Highway straight down to Victoria. There are a lot of twisties on the island. Can you say where you are coming from and how long you plan to visit the Island :dontknow:

wukka
08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be that much activity in this area. I personally do not have a ryde but I believe that you have chosen wisely for areas of riding interest. There is a lot of good travelling in that area. They are forcasting more heat for the end of the month. Just a heads up. Who knows where the weather prognasticators get their prediction information. You could try Lake Cowichan area, Port Renfrew to Sooke, just to name a couple more. Of coure there is the Island Highway straight down to Victoria. There are a lot of twisties on the island. Can you say where you are coming from and how long you plan to visit the Island :dontknow:

Hi, thanks for the reply...

We are coming from Seattle, taking the Anacortes Ferry to Sidney on Thursday, 8/25. That day we'll just be clocking the miles, riding all the way up to Port McNeill. From there, we'll start picking our way south, carving the (paved) roads and seeing the sights. Were told that we DEFINITELY need to swing by Gold River - there is also a natural cave in that area to check out.

Well be spending Friday and Saturday in Port Alberni, exploring areas to the south. One day will be spent around Tofino/Ucluelet - but the other day I don't have much planned (yet).

Then heading back to the states on Sunday at Noon.

Ferry and Motel reservations are done...Just need some ideas on places to go. :) I jotted down the ideas you have provided so far - but keep them coming!! :thumbup:

Tiny1
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply...

We are coming from Seattle, taking the Anacortes Ferry to Sidney on Thursday, 8/25. That day we'll just be clocking the miles, riding all the way up to Port McNeill. From there, we'll start picking our way south, carving the (paved) roads and seeing the sights. Were told that we DEFINITELY need to swing by Gold River - there is also a natural cave in that area to check out.

Well be spending Friday and Saturday in Port Alberni, exploring areas to the south. One day will be spent around Tofino/Ucluelet - but the other day I don't have much planned (yet).

Then heading back to the states on Sunday at Noon.

Ferry and Motel reservations are done...Just need some ideas on places to go. :) I jotted down the ideas you have provided so far - but keep them coming!! :thumbup:

Are you interested in Buchart Gardens? Lots of photo ops there :D Just thought of another one. Horne Lake Caves. Pulled this off of their webiste. http://hornelake.com/home.htm
GPS coordinates

Cave Park - 49 º 20' 41.00" N 124 º 45' 00.00" W (UTM - 372861.80E 5467260.80N)
Campground - 49 º 21' 06.00" N 124 º 44' 28.00" W (UTM - 373541.09E 5468002.88N)
NOTE: some GPS databases show these parks on the wrong side of the lake. Use the above coordinates for accurate location!

BY ROAD:
From the South (Victoria, Nanaimo, Parksville, Qualicum Beach)
Get on the highway NORTHBOUND on Island Freeway (Hwy. 19) or Oceanside Scenic Route (Hwy. 19A). Approximately 1 hour north of NANAIMO, look for the blue Provincial Park signs approaching Horne Lake Exit (Exit #75). Turn LEFT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!
- 1 km. further is CAVE Parking Lot (Provincial Park). DRIVE SLOW AND CAREFUL ON THE LAST 10 kms. OF GRAVEL ROAD. WATCH FOR ONCOMING TRAFFIC ON THE NARROW ROAD AND DRIVE WITH HEADLIGHTS ON!
From the West Coast (Tofino, Ucluelet, Bamfield, Port Alberni)
Take Hwy. #4 EASTBOUND through Port Alberni and keep going toward Qualicum Beach. Just after the traffic lights at Hwy 4A (Coombs), look for the Freeway (Hwy. 19). Cross under the overpass and turn left onto Hwy. 19 NORTHBOUND. After 10 minutes on the freeway, look for the blue Provincial Park signs approaching Horne Lake Exit ( Exit #75). Turn LEFT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!
- 1 km. further is CAVE Parking Lot (Provincial Park). DRIVE SLOW AND CAREFUL ON THE LAST 10 kms. OF GRAVEL ROAD. WATCH FOR ONCOMING TRAFFIC ON THE NARROW ROAD AND DRIVE WITH HEADLIGHTS ON!
From the North (Courtenay, Comox, Cumberland, Campbell River, Port Hardy)
Get on the highway SOUTHBOUND on Island Freeway (Hwy. 19) or Oceanside Scenic Route (Hwy. 19A). Approximately 45 minutes south of COURTENAY, look for the blue Provincial Park approaching Horne Lake Exit (Exit #75). Turn RIGHT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!

Driving Times - Victoria (3 hrs), Duncan (2.25 hrs), Nanaimo (1.5 hrs), Parksville (1 hr), Qualicum (45 mins), Courtenay (1 hr), Comox (1.25 hrs), Campbell River (1.5 hrs)
Port Alberni (1 hr.) and Tofino / Ucluelet (2.75 hours).
Just a couple of more thoughts. Enjoy :thumbup:

wukka
08-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Are you interested in Buchart Gardens? Lots of photo ops there :D Just thought of another one. Horne Lake Caves. Pulled this off of their webiste. http://hornelake.com/home.htm
GPS coordinates

Cave Park - 49 º 20' 41.00" N 124 º 45' 00.00" W (UTM - 372861.80E 5467260.80N)
Campground - 49 º 21' 06.00" N 124 º 44' 28.00" W (UTM - 373541.09E 5468002.88N)
NOTE: some GPS databases show these parks on the wrong side of the lake. Use the above coordinates for accurate location!

BY ROAD:
From the South (Victoria, Nanaimo, Parksville, Qualicum Beach)
Get on the highway NORTHBOUND on Island Freeway (Hwy. 19) or Oceanside Scenic Route (Hwy. 19A). Approximately 1 hour north of NANAIMO, look for the blue Provincial Park signs approaching Horne Lake Exit (Exit #75). Turn LEFT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!
From the West Coast (Tofino, Ucluelet, Bamfield, Port Alberni)
Take Hwy. #4 EASTBOUND through Port Alberni and keep going toward Qualicum Beach. Just after the traffic lights at Hwy 4A (Coombs), look for the Freeway (Hwy. 19). Cross under the overpass and turn left onto Hwy. 19 NORTHBOUND. After 10 minutes on the freeway, look for the blue Provincial Park signs approaching Horne Lake Exit ( Exit #75). Turn LEFT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!
From the North (Courtenay, Comox, Cumberland, Campbell River, Port Hardy)
Get on the highway SOUTHBOUND on Island Freeway (Hwy. 19) or Oceanside Scenic Route (Hwy. 19A). Approximately 45 minutes south of COURTENAY, look for the blue Provincial Park approaching Horne Lake Exit (Exit #75). Turn RIGHT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!

Driving Times - Victoria (3 hrs), Duncan (2.25 hrs), Nanaimo (1.5 hrs), Parksville (1 hr), Qualicum (45 mins), Courtenay (1 hr), Comox (1.25 hrs), Campbell River (1.5 hrs)
Port Alberni (1 hr.) and Tofino / Ucluelet (2.75 hours).
Just a couple of more thoughts. Enjoy :thumbup:

I've been to Buchart Gardens, but we might check that out again. You had me on the Horne Lake Caves until I read about 12km of gravel roads. My 2-wheel friends don't do gravel on their cruiser bikes. :opps: So I guess that one's out.

Do you if there are paved roads to the Upana Caves near Gold River? I can't find any any info on the internet and it's really hard to tell by looking at Google Earth.

I guess we might be limiting ourselves by keeping on the blacktop.:D

Tiny1
08-15-2011, 06:52 PM
I've been to Buchart Gardens, but we might check that out again. You had me on the Horne Lake Caves until I read about 12km of gravel roads. My 2-wheel friends don't do gravel on their cruiser bikes. :opps: So I guess that one's out.

Do you if there are paved roads to the Upana Caves near Gold River? I can't find any any info on the internet and it's really hard to tell by looking at Google Earth.

I guess we might be limiting ourselves by keeping on the blacktop.:D
:dontknow:
Sorry, but I really do not know. If I were a betting man, I would think that they are gravel.
Maybe you have to just do some blacktop backroads or, talk your friends into buying Spyders before you head out:thumbup:

Neez
08-15-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't know how you are fixed for time, Joe, but one of my favorite (slower, more scenic) routes is to grab the ferry just north of Sidney for Saltspring Island, ride across Saltspring and catch the Vesuvius ferry to Crofton, back on Vancouver Island. Then proceed north along the Old island highway through Chemainus, Ladysmith and Nanaimo. At Nanaimo, you can join the New island hiway north to the turnoff to Port Alberni, or straight on to Port McNeill. Personally, I like to stay on the Old Island Hiighway as long as I can, but that's just me; I'm rarely in a hurry. Hope this helps. PS: all going well and the creek don't rise, I hope to see you and the gang at Enumclaw at the end of the week.

cabodan
03-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi, I'm interested in getting in contact with other spyder owners on Vancouver Island/Victoria area.
Thanks,
Dan
cabodan@shaw.ca

:clap: http://www.geocities.com/vispyders/ :clap:oops, spoke too soon. They shut me down for linking to SpyderLovers.com. Damn!!!

VIspyderman
03-26-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm in the Comox Valley... vispyderman@gmail.com

Hi, I'm interested in getting in contact with other spyder owners on Vancouver Island/Victoria area.
Thanks,
Dan
cabodan@shaw.ca

hook86
03-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Just bought a new 2012 Spyder RT-S SE5 waiting to pick it up. Hoping to get it changed to left hand throttle because am missing my right arm.From Nanaimo area.

hook86
03-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Ok, The Vancouver Island Spyder Ryders site is working again... it's now at www.vispyders.com (http://www.vispyders.com)
Tryed the link was a no go. :-(

VIspyderman
04-01-2013, 04:10 PM
When I quit selling Spyders I dropped the site. I'm in the Comox Valley.

Tryed the link was a no go. :-(

hook86
04-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the answer. Now hoping my dealer can change the throttle over for me or the wife gets the bike. (for now)

vislandgabe
05-19-2013, 09:07 AM
I am from campbell river and wondering if any one has weekend or longer trips planned and looking for more riders?

vislandgabe
05-19-2013, 09:14 AM

great ride victoria to sooke,port renfrew , lake cowichan and back to hwy at duncan all paved

crazycanuck
05-19-2013, 10:26 AM
I am from campbell river and wondering if any one has weekend or longer trips planned and looking for more riders?
Speaking of longer trips, owners event is in Maggie Valley, North Carolina.

cabodan
05-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Your links are not working.
Would like to hookup with other spyder owners.
I live in Langford.
cabodan@shaw.ca

rbob
09-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Just now acquiring a Vancouver Island chapter for Brothers of the third wheel.
Maybe the moderator will boot me for mentioning this on this site