PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol

Commander
08-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Has anyone used the following product to get rid of the Ethanol in the gas. A HD friend of mine uses it everytime he fills up and he says he gets better mileage and his engine runs smoother.

billrob71
08-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Has anyone used the following product to get rid of the Ethanol in the gas. A HD friend of mine uses it everytime he fills up and he says he gets better mileage and his engine runs smoother.

thats what I use in everything I have including the weedeater

jerpinoy
08-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Does the gas saving worth the cost of it?

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-11-2014, 01:43 PM
:gaah:.....Well considering that apparently( at least from what has been talked about on this site ) most Spyderlovers use 91 + octane in their 2014 RT's at 40 to 50 cents extra per gallon when its benefits are dubious ( IMHO ).......I use STABIL MARINE formula which is only 1/2 the cost of the REG.......in all my gas powered engines to cancel the ETHANOL ISSUE.....I think it works .......PS if you get it on-line 16 oz. or larger the price drops considerably .............................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

happyspyder2039
08-11-2014, 02:01 PM

93055i use it but only in the winter as a gas stabilizer if that if your not careful these things can gum up fuel filter

Dragonrider
08-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Use the Pure-Gas App to tell you where you can buy non-ETOH gas. THAT's the real answer. If you are going to let the bike sit for a while, use Stabil to keep the water out of the gas.

I've tried a couple of additives like the Star Tron additive, and while the 990 ran smoother, the milage boost came from non ETOH fuel.

billrob71
08-11-2014, 03:19 PM

I don't use it for a purpose of a gas stabilizer I use it to reduce the effect of ethanol
mine doesn't sit still along enough for the gas to get stale , I ride all 4 seasons just no rain if it can be helped and no snow.

If your looking a stabilizer for sitting stabil makes one just for ethanol. The regular red stabil doesn't work for ethanol

Woodsrider
08-11-2014, 03:28 PM
I just run no-ethanol gas, but I keep some of the eth treatment in the boot of each of the classic cars just in case I get stuck out.

MikeinGA
08-11-2014, 03:57 PM
:gaah:.....Well considering that apparently( at least from what has been talked about on this site ) most Spyderlovers use 91 + octane in their 2014 RT's at 40 to 50 cents extra per gallon when its benefits are dubious ( IMHO ).......I use STABIL MARINE formula which is only 1/2 the cost of the REG.......in all my gas powered engines to cancel the ETHANOL ISSUE.....I think it works .......PS if you get it on-line 16 oz. or larger the price drops considerably .............................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

:agree: I do the same and I buy a 32 oz bottle 19,000 miles of happy ridding and that's cost me $20.90 .(amazon.com) or $0.16 per fill up or $0.03 per gal.

Mike

Trbayth
08-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Doesn't seem to be any place in NJ to buy non-ethanol gas (at least nothing is listed at pure-gas.org; I'm a little surprised there doesn't seem to be anything by Greenwood Lake.)

It seems that Stabil Marine has a 2-year shelf life (according to comments on Amazon.) How much do you use per tank in the Spyder? Also, is it worth it for cars and small engines (lawn mowers, etc.)? And is it worth it to use year-round, not just for winter storage?

Trb--

Bob Denman
08-11-2014, 05:08 PM
I was going to suggest that you try either a Marina, or a place that sells boats...
It's worth a shot! :thumbup:

jcthorne
08-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Use the Pure-Gas App to tell you where you can buy non-ETOH gas. THAT's the real answer. If you are going to let the bike sit for a while, use Stabil to keep the water out of the gas.

I've tried a couple of additives like the Star Tron additive, and while the 990 ran smoother, the milage boost came from non ETOH fuel.

There are large areas of the country where folks would dearly love to do just that but our Federal Government has seen fit to make it impossible in any practical way. In EPA non-attainment areas, ALL gasoline sold as motor fuel has min 10% ethanol. I can buy ethanol free fuel in quart cans for $8 each at the lawn equipment dealers but its not really practical.....

So until the laws change and we quit burning the worlds food supply, we will look for ways to minimize its harmful effects.

bmccaffrey
08-11-2014, 06:36 PM
You can buy marine stabil at Walmart , TSC and some hardware stores . Very popular arond here. :yes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-11-2014, 06:46 PM
There are large areas of the country where folks would dearly love to do just that but our Federal Government has seen fit to make it impossible in any practical way. In EPA non-attainment areas, ALL gasoline sold as motor fuel has min 10% ethanol. I can buy ethanol free fuel in quart cans for $8 each at the lawn equipment dealers but its not really practical.....

So until the laws change and we quit burning the worlds food supply, we will look for ways to minimize its harmful effects.
....IMHO.....Most Marina's sell non-ethyl gas ......Mikeguyver :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Doesn't seem to be any place in NJ to buy non-ethanol gas (at least nothing is listed at pure-gas.org; I'm a little surprised there doesn't seem to be anything by Greenwood Lake.)

It seems that Stabil Marine has a 2-year shelf life (according to comments on Amazon.) How much do you use per tank in the Spyder? Also, is it worth it for cars and small engines (lawn mowers, etc.)? And is it worth it to use year-round, not just for winter storage?

Trb--:gaah:....iT'S ACTUALLY MORE IMPORTANT TO GET IT OUT OR NEUTRALIZE IT IN SMALL ENGINES THAN IT IS IN YOUR CAR........Ford GM Chry BMW VW etc. have the bucks to engineer there auto's to combat the Ethanol......small manufacturers don't so their engines suffer sooner .....lots sooner .....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

900Dave
08-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Star Tron & Marine Stabile does not get rid of the ethanol. It just prevents separation. Believe it or not gasoline and Ethonal DO NOT MIX very well. They separate in a short period of time. I do use Star Tron but not in the summer in my Spyder. I burn the fuel up before it has a chance to separate.

If you want to store gas use the normal Stabile & Star Tron or Stabile Marine. Right now I have Stabile Storage and Star Tron in my snowmobiles to prevent spoiling and separation for the long period of storage and when I fill gas cans for my lawn mowers.

But yea if you can avoid ethanol all togeather that is the way to go. Very few places in PA sell non ethanol gas.

SPYD3R
08-11-2014, 07:20 PM

10-04 on the STA-BIL BLUE Mike.... i use it all the time... also for my lawn mower and tractor, chain saws, weed eaters, etc etc etc..... blows all the others away....

jwulf74
08-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Been running 91 non-eth in our mowers, blowers, etc. All other grades here are at least 10%. I only put non-eth in the Spyder if I can help it.

MikeinGA
08-11-2014, 07:48 PM

Trb--

For daily use 1/4 oz. per fill up 1/3 oz. for storage.

Mike

jcthorne
08-12-2014, 06:55 AM
....IMHO.....Most Marina's sell non-ethyl gas ......Mikeguyver :thumbup:

No Marinias withing 50 miles of my home. Gas stations for motor fuel ALL have ethanol blended fuel here.

WackyDan
08-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Ethanol is only an issue when storing your spyder. I haven't noticed a difference when running ethanol laced gas or ethanol free. The only thing ethanol free gets you is slightly better mileage.

That add in chemical does not remove the ethanol... It just stabilizes it. If you ride a lot or go through a tank every few weeks, ethanol isn't going to cause you any grief.

WackyDan
08-12-2014, 12:36 PM
:gaah:....iT'S ACTUALLY MORE IMPORTANT TO GET IT OUT OR NEUTRALIZE IT IN SMALL ENGINES THAN IT IS IN YOUR CAR........Ford GM Chry BMW VW etc. have the bucks to engineer there auto's to combat the Ethanol......small manufacturers don't so their engines suffer sooner .....lots sooner .....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

THIS... I can't tell you how many times I've had to pull the carb on my lawn mower to replace the fuel pump bladder due to ethanol... and that is with adding stabilizer and winterizing each year. I need to do this sometimes once a year, but generally every two seasons.. Finally found a source for ethanol free gas near the house so this season I've run nothing but that.

jcthorne
08-12-2014, 12:47 PM
THIS... I can't tell you how many times I've had to pull the carb on my lawn mower to replace the fuel pump bladder due to ethanol... and that is with adding stabilizer and winterizing each year. I need to do this sometimes once a year, but generally every two seasons.. Finally found a source for ethanol free gas near the house so this season I've run nothing but that.

I have the same problem with the fuel pump diaphram on the Onan gen set for our motorhome. If only these small engine manufacturs could switch to soft good compatible with ethanol.

Strangly, our current lawn mower with an 11hp briggs on it has not had this problem (yet) in 6 yrs. Maybe some are converting.