PDA

View Full Version : NOT A GOOD DAY

PW2013STL
08-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Changing out the stock brake pads for a sey of EBC HH pads. Started it last night and the rear pads went on tight. Not able to turn the wheel tight! Fronts no issues. Hoping that driving it slow would free up the rear, but that did not work so I pulled the rear caliper and tried again to push the piston back. I use a large C clamp for this, but same results as last night - it did not move. I even opened the bleed screw , but nothing. Thinking that the piston maybe cocked in its bore I made the mistake of pumping it out further.
Now it's out so I can not move it back to put in the stock pads:banghead:
I see there is two stock 5/32 holes ( not all the way through ) on the piston that are spaced .782 from each other and I am wondering if the piston has to be turned as it is pressed back like some cars have to:dontknow:

I will try calling a dealer tomorrow to try and get some answers

Not the results I was expecting when I started this simple :cus: project.

BTW I have 10,400 miles on the Spyder and the stock pads have a lot of material left. My goal was to find pads that stop as well if not better, but without the noise.

OwnerOfHarriet
08-10-2014, 08:23 PM
our brakes have been squeaking since day one -- it now has 3000 miles on and we are taking it in as a warranty item -- brakes should not squeak -- bike is 1 month old tomorrow

JohnnyK
08-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Not sure about the Spyder but that's how it works on cars with a parking brake that uses the same pads as the main brake. For my VW jetta I made a tool that turns the piston while applying pressure to push it back in.
John

skeetshooter
08-10-2014, 09:15 PM
If it's like my 2008 was i had to take E brake cable and arm off then screw the shaft out until it stopped.I had plenty of room then to put new pads on.Then adjust your E brake and your ready to go.When you screw shaft out you can use c-clamp or pliers to spread pistons.

BajaRon
08-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Changing out the stock brake pads for a sey of EBC HH pads. Started it last night and the rear pads went on tight. Not able to turn the wheel tight! Fronts no issues. Hoping that driving it slow would free up the rear, but that did not work so I pulled the rear caliper and tried again to push the piston back. I use a large C clamp for this, but same results as last night - it did not move. I even opened the bleed screw , but nothing. Thinking that the piston maybe cocked in its bore I made the mistake of pumping it out further.
I see there is two stock 5/32 holes ( not all the way through ) on the piston that are spaced .782 from each other and I am wondering if the piston has to be turned as it is pressed back like some cars have to:dontknow:

BTW I have 10,400 miles on the Spyder and the stock pads have a lot of material left. My goal was to find pads that stop as well if not better, but without the noise.

Email me!

fyredad@hotmail.com

Chupaca
08-10-2014, 09:20 PM
release the parking brake cable. You many time adjust the park brake as the pads wear down. When you put the new pads on you need to readjust the park brake or it will drag cause it is too tight...:thumbup:

Jim&Teresa
08-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Sorry to hear that Les! :shocked: Wow, what an undertaking with the rear brake pad issue....good luck on the fix!:thumbup: Let us know the outcome!

PW2013STL
08-10-2014, 10:48 PM
release the parking brake cable. You many time adjust the park brake as the pads wear down. When you put the new pads on you need to readjust the park brake or it will drag cause it is too tight...:thumbup:

I do have the cable off, but that did not help.

PW2013STL
08-10-2014, 10:51 PM
If it's like my 2008 was i had to take E brake cable and arm off then screw the shaft out until it stopped.I had plenty of room then to put new pads on.Then adjust your E brake and your ready to go.When you screw shaft out you can use c-clamp or pliers to spread pistons.

Thanks! The service manual states "turn back the parking brake to retract the piston" nothing about taking the arm off. I will have to try that.

cptjam
08-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Make sure the pistons will retract using the C clamp. Clean everything first. Make sure the parking brake is taken apart, shaft retracted. I had one that was stubborn, a bit of debris was cocking the piston a tiny bit. Like you, I extended the pistons as far as I could, then used a toothbrush and brake cleaner. Once clean, it went back together.

MarkLawson
08-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Also, remove the cap to the master cylinder to allow brake fluid to go back into the reservoir. Stuff rags around it to catch any spillage. If the fluid level was at the top, there may not be enough room for the pistons to fully retract, hince the need to remove the cap.

PW2013STL
08-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Also, remove the cap to the master cylinder to allow brake fluid to go back into the reservoir. Stuff rags around it to catch any spillage. If the fluid level was at the top, there may not be enough room for the pistons to fully retract, hince the need to remove the cap.

Tried that too.

I call the shop mechanic from my dealership this moning and He said I should not have an issue pussing it back, and was unaware of the need to turn the piston as you press in. He had no suggestions that I had not already tried . I will try removing the parking break arm and turn out the shaft tonight and see if that works. If not I may have to remove the caliber and bring it into a shop.

Wish me luck!!

joebryanjr
08-11-2014, 08:46 AM
May I suggest to anyone doing their own service or repairs that they purchase the service manual for their model. The one for my 2011RSS was $23.50. I bought the one for my new 2014 RT for $28.50. They are digital downloads (pdf) and you can print the pages you need for each repair.
i got mine at www.brpmanuals.com. It also included a Flat Rate Manual so you can predict what dealer repairs would cost.

Highwayman2013
08-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Mine were tight on the back. When I put it together so I left the stainless clips off. I did put the red disc brake goop on the backs. Yes. I had the pistons in and the park brake disconnected. Oh yeah they still squeak from time to time .

rcdurango
08-11-2014, 09:55 AM
When replacing the brakes I've found that sanding them and cleaning with brake cleaner takes away the squeak. Brakes have a glaze on them and sand paper lightly taking away the glaze worked for me.

PW2013STL
08-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Today's effort did not go any better and nothing I tried worked. I then pulled the caliper and will bring it into a dealer to see if they can fix it :banghead:

Cruzr Joe
08-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Today's effort did not go any better and nothing I tried worked. I then pulled the caliper and will bring it into a dealer to see if they can fix it :banghead:

I see BajaRon said to email him, he makes brake pads, have you emailed him?

Cruzr Joe

cptjam
08-12-2014, 01:36 AM
Les,
rip into it! Since you are taking it in anyway, take everything apart! Since it is going to the dealer, have at it! I learn a lot by having at it. If I can't fix it, I at least learn things. Go for it!

joe

PW2013STL
08-12-2014, 05:53 AM
I see BajaRon said to email him, he makes brake pads, have you emailed him?

Cruzr Joe

I did indeed as I purchased the pads from Ron.

PW2013STL
08-12-2014, 06:00 AM
Les,
rip into it! Since you are taking it in anyway, take everything apart! Since it is going to the dealer, have at it! I learn a lot by having at it. If I can't fix it, I at least learn things. Go for it!

joe

Joe,

If it was not still under warranty I would! My thinking is if this is defective my dealer should cover it, but if I take it in pieces they may have an issue with that.

PW2013STL
08-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Here is the rear caliber. There are two .156 dia. holes in the piston that appear to be for pins as if there should be a tool that would allow you to rotate the piston. I rented a kit for pressing the pistons back into their bore from an auto parts store, but all the pin plates were the wrong size.931019310293103

PW2013STL
08-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Today I watched as the flatbed truck drove away with my Spyder on it's way to the dealer. The dealer ordered a new rear caliber as they also could not get the piston to retract. They promased me that I would have it back in time for our departure next Thursday for the Spyder Rendezvous. Keeping my fingers crossed :chill:

Jim&Teresa
08-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Today I watched as the flatbed truck drove away with my Spyder on it's way to the dealer. The dealer ordered a new rear caliber as they also could not get the piston to retract. They promased me that I would have it back in time for our departure next Thursday for the Spyder Rendezvous. Keeping my fingers crossed :chill:

Good luck Les with your Spyder....no one likes to see their bike leave on a flatbed truck for repair at the dealer!!!!! :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

I hope all goes well and you get it back in time for your trip to the Spyder Rendezvous! :thumbup:

BajaRon
08-13-2014, 09:13 PM

I'm sorry, I've been so busy I never got any further than replying to your PM/Email.

0.315" is exactly what it should be so that isn't the problem. I would say a new caliper will resolve the issue. I wonder why the piston would not retract completely?

PW2013STL
08-14-2014, 01:22 AM
I'm sorry, I've been so busy I never got any further than replying to your PM/Email.

0.315" is exactly what it should be so that isn't the problem. I would say a new caliper will resolve the issue. I wonder why the piston would not retract completely?

Now that is the $64,000 question!

3 Wheel Addict
08-14-2014, 11:01 AM
The bad thing is if the dealer replaces it under warranty we'll never know the reason. The good thing is you'll have it fixed and in good order.