PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze in an RT

CSN64
08-08-2014, 04:36 PM
We are travelling with friends and one of their bikes went into limp mode. It has leaked antifreeze and they are now getting their RT towed to the hotel. There is no Canam dealer in Pittsburg. Does anyone know if they can use Car antifreeze in the meantime?

jtoro1
08-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Yes any antifreeze , use preston maybe leaking from the hose on the lower right side easy fix with new clamp you can check by looking back into right side radiator opening + check if the return bottle has the cap installed correctly

M109Dreamer
08-08-2014, 05:19 PM
You just want to make sure its silicate free. Most are these days, but better safe than sorry. Like posted above. I use the Prestone 50/50 premix.

samewok
08-08-2014, 05:27 PM
When you fill it make sure you put the cap on straight and tight. If not it will leak again.

joebryanjr
08-08-2014, 06:40 PM
I have not checked on my 1330 but the 998 said to make sure it is antifreeze suitable for aluminum engines. You might check fo yours.

happyspyder2039
08-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Yes any antifreeze , use preston maybe leaking from the hose on the lower right side easy fix with new clamp you can check by looking back into right side radiator opening + check if the return bottle has the cap installed correctly
:congrats: prestone 50/50 thats safe for aluminum engine. My Dealer told me this over buying the $9 a Quart BRP stuff

bruiser
08-08-2014, 09:03 PM
As long as it is the green/yellow and aluminum friendly, it's good. I use Prestone 50/50.

MarkLawson
08-08-2014, 09:43 PM
When you fill it make sure you put the cap on straight and tight. If not it will leak again.

That is critical. 2 years ago I checked & topped off my coolant level for the first time just before heading to Durango. The cap was tough to get back on and I finally left it with a 'best effort'. Several days riding later, I was going over Raton Pass (border of NM & CO) when it overheated, after riding from Georgia. I failed to properly tighten the cap and suffered a self inflicted wound as a result. When I refilled the radiator and put the cap back on while on the side of the road, it went on and clicked into place with no trouble. I immediately knew why it overheated and that it would not again. Prior to the overheating, it would puke coolant during the last couple of fuel stops, so I bought a couple of gallons of 50/50 mix and carried it with me. My brother also had a two hose hand pump that allowed me to transfer coolant from the jug to the Spyder's reservoir. I was fortunate (blessed).

cptjam
08-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Peak one 50/50.

Chupaca
08-08-2014, 11:28 PM
if your topping off and in doubt use water. You have more antifreeze than you'll ever need as it is. Radiator cap has two detents and if you don't get to the second it will leak. Check water pump for leaks and radiator hoses. There is one and only one adjustable clamp and usually leaks from there. A quick twist with a screwdriver and it will be fine. If the water pump is leaking it will hold till you get home just check the level...:thumbup:

den1953
08-09-2014, 06:53 AM
If you mix your antifreeze yourself be sure to only use distilled water. Tap water can have calcium and other minerals as well as chemicals in it which can mess-up a cooling system.