PDA

View Full Version : Does Noisy Fuel Pump = Break Down??

zbunker
08-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Hi All,
There seems to be a lot of folks starting to report fuel pump noises. (Me Too) My question is: Has anyone had a breakdown as a result of a "bum" fuel pump?
Ron

DrewNJ
08-08-2014, 12:45 PM
I just heard a noisy spyder pump last weekend. Anytime I have ever been around a noisy fuel pump it has eventually given up. Usually in a fairly short period of time. There is nothing magical about the fuel pump in the spyder.

A noisy fuel pump is a faulty fuel pump. I'd be nervous as a cat going on a long trip with a noisy fuel pump like what I've heard.

Dragonrider
08-19-2014, 10:08 AM
What's it sound like? I have something that sounds like a loud pump or motor running all the time, haven't had a chance to check it our yet.

ChicoFowler
08-19-2014, 01:39 PM
What's it sound like? I have something that sounds like a loud pump or motor running all the time, haven't had a chance to check it our yet.

That's the sound .... I have it on my bike and during my 3000 mile check up, "they" said there is nothing "they" can do until it fails.
Sounds like a known issue and BRP should be doing a recall :yikes:

Dragonrider
08-19-2014, 02:01 PM
How long has yours been noisy - since I only have about 400 miles on the clock, it will probably be next spring before I see the shop.

fredace
08-19-2014, 04:29 PM
My noisy fuel pump was replaced last week, at 2,800 miles. BRP ok'd it. There's NO noise that's noticeable now.
I'm happy.

Bob Denman
08-19-2014, 05:36 PM
:shocked: MIne quieted back down... :shocked:
I don't know if that's good :D... or horrible! :yikes:

DrewNJ
08-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Boom!

Bob Denman
08-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Like THIS??

:yikes: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif

Mspiv
08-19-2014, 05:53 PM
That's the sound .... I have it on my bike and during my 3000 mile check up, "they" said there is nothing "they" can do until it fails.
Sounds like a known issue and BRP should be doing a recall :yikes:

Yeah good luck with that.. Tow it in and we will fix it. :banghead:

Bob Denman
08-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Keep your Crystal Ball polished up, and on it's game... :shocked:
And be heading toward the shop when it goes... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gif

ChicoFowler
08-21-2014, 02:36 PM
My noisy fuel pump was replaced last week, at 2,800 miles. BRP ok'd it. There's NO noise that's noticeable now.
I'm happy.
How'd you get them to do that? Through a dealer? I sent in a complaint. Probably a waste of time, but I wanted to get paper work on file for future reference. I'm going to push this, because I agree, a "noisy fuel pump" is a DEFECTIVE fuel pump. Just because it's working now, it's only a matter of time - and I don't want to be 100 miles from the nearest dealer and have a problem. I'll let you know how my case ends up. I do have a dealer working with me now and we'll see what we'll see......

fredace
08-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Yes, my dealer got it replaced. The thing was so noisy. As soon as I turned the key for safety check the whine was outrageous. There was no issue getting it replaced.
Good luck.

QUOTE=ChicoFowler;861791]How'd you get them to do that? Through a dealer? I sent in a complaint. Probably a waste of time, but I wanted to get paper work on file for future reference. I'm going to push this, because I agree, a "noisy fuel pump" is a DEFECTIVE fuel pump. Just because it's working now, it's only a matter of time - and I don't want to be 100 miles from the nearest dealer and have a problem. I'll let you know how my case ends up. I do have a dealer working with me now and we'll see what we'll see......[/QUOTE]

Bob Denman
08-21-2014, 05:17 PM
:congrats: I'm keeping an eye on mine... if it starts growling again :shocked:; I'll do some growling of my own! :thumbup:

gtfdrummer
09-13-2014, 09:46 AM
I have the same noisy fuel pump. The dealer I went to said BRP has acknowledged that they had a batch of faulty pumps. They are apparently going to issue a recall. My pump pressures tested fine. The dealer recorded the issue on my file. I've got 7500 km on my 2014 rts and have had zero problems.

ulflyer
09-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Is this the noise that makes a constant "whirring" at idle? And what is the sound when cruising steady, that is somewhat of an undertone to the motor sound, that to me is a steady low note like "wah, wah, wah," sound? Is this the pump or perhaps a top end gear sound?

ThreeWheels
09-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Yes, my dealer got it replaced. The thing was so noisy. As soon as I turned the key for safety check the whine was outrageous. There was no issue getting it replaced.

How did this work out for you?
My concern would be that you get a warranty replacement of a faulty part with the same faulty part.
On my 2010 this happened with the rear shock. I went through about 5 of them, all on warranty replacement.
It also happened on the windshield arm. I went through two of those.
The fuel pump for the 1330 is different than the fuel pump for any of the 998's, so I have no idea how many they have in stock and what lot they are.

rf5
11-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Hello. Mine is making noise since new. I have recorded the sound when turning the key on. And after the startup, the noise continues. Please watch the video on the link below. I'm pretty sure it is a faulty pump, that is not normal...

http://youtu.be/tAykAk2xgsY

Ricardo.

Bob Denman
11-28-2014, 12:46 PM
:dontknow: Normal... :2thumbs:
Worry less, and ride the bike more! 99402

zbunker
11-29-2014, 09:44 PM
Hello. Mine is making noise since new. I have recorded the sound when turning the key on. And after the startup, the noise continues. Please watch the video on the link below. I'm pretty sure it is a faulty pump, that is not normal...

Ricardo.

Hi,
Yep, that is the noise I was referring to. NICE JOB:thumbup:
Now to me, it seems like there can be two troubles. One being the noise of the pump when running, and the second when the pump has to pressure the fuel line-before start-up. (That pre-start noise doesn't happen to me all the time) I was under the impression that the fuel line from the pump to the injector was always pressurized. Aside from a leak in the line, a loss of pressure sounds like the fuel running back through the pump valves. Something I thought wasn't supposed to happen, and perhaps a better symptom of a defective pump.
Ron

Biosafena
11-30-2014, 08:58 AM

Ricardo.

My 2014 makes this same noise. I asked Len about it when I took delivery and he said that all the 2014's sound this way and it is normal. It is only noisy until it builds pressure. Was there some change in the pumps from 2012 to 2014? My 2012 is nice and quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
11-30-2014, 09:06 AM
:banghead: Folks keep getting told that it's normal...

...and ignoring that advice... :shocked:

DrewNJ
11-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Its a faulty pump....whether it becomes an issue for reliability remains to be seen. Good luck everyone.

Bob Denman
11-30-2014, 10:02 AM
:shocked: Perhaps we should be asking this question:
"How many of these 'loud' fuel pumps, have failed?" :dontknow:

Not "Been replaced"; but actually stopped working...

DrewNJ
11-30-2014, 10:57 AM
:shocked: Perhaps we should be asking this question:
"How many of these 'loud' fuel pumps, have failed?" :dontknow:

Not "Been replaced"; but actually stopped working...
Very true. And going to be a very good question as these machines get some age/time on them. However, its not "normal" for an electric fuel pump to sound like that. The spyder fuel system is a pretty standard set of modern day components designed in just about every modern vehicle on the road today. There is no magic under that plastic, as some seem to believe....[emoji6]
My concern, other than the pump seizing and leaving me stranded, would be what is actually making the noise? If its internal metal to metal contact is there a potential for debris to get carried through the fuel system and into the motor? Other long term issues???

Harley has a similar one going on right now too. The fuel pressure regulator buzzes really loud sometimes at first prime and in real cold weather. It was found to be the regulator vibrating/buzzing and a new part is available. However, its only at first prime, in the very cold, doesn't happen all the time and no issue with damage anywhere else AND has caused no reported breakdowns. Bonus is that if you mention it to the dealer they WILL swap out the regulator with a newer part under warranty without hassle.

Just BS though being told a noisy fuel pump is "normal", because its NOT normal. Maybe it won't fail though....who knows...
Tick... Tick... Tick... Tick... Tick...

KX5062
11-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Hi All,
There seems to be a lot of folks starting to report fuel pump noises. (Me Too) My question is: Has anyone had a breakdown as a result of a "bum" fuel pump?
Ron

I hope not. My fuel pump has made "that" noise intermittently, but never consistently. So until it does I figure there's not much I can do, or the dealer either. Unless, there really is a pending recall or TSB.

reggystan
11-30-2014, 11:56 AM
I've heard this noise from day one and even asked brp tech at Spyderfest and they said oh that sound is normal. Glad to see this is a fixable issue :banghead:

Ricardo.

garb55
11-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Every vehicle I have owned makes the same noise when you turn the key on, normally you start the car immediately
since the Spyder has to wait for the computer to boot up you do hear it better
Also in your car you get in close the door and you do not hear it as well because everything is sound proofed inside
The fuel pump in a car is on the outside in back underneath the car
The fuel pump in your Spyder is right under your seat

Bob Denman
11-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Thank you... :thumbup:

2dogs
11-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Every vehicle I have owned makes the same noise when you turn the key on, normally you start the car immediately
Also in your car you get in close the door and you do not hear it as well because everything is sound proofed inside

My 14 RTS SE6 has had this sound since I wrote the check and left the dealer's parking lot. :pray: I thought it was a normal :spyder2: pre start sound since the first turn of the key. :dontknow:

JayBros
11-30-2014, 06:15 PM
My 14 RTS SE6 has had this sound since I wrote the check and left the dealer's parking lot. :pray: I thought it was a normal :spyder2: pre start sound since the first turn of the key. :dontknow:

Same here.

DrewNJ
11-30-2014, 09:23 PM
So why do you only hear it on some 14' RTs and ONLY on the 14's?
The 08'-13' spyders all have the fuel pumps in the tank, you sit right on the tank, and you have to wait for them to boot up.

I've always been a "ride more, worry less" kind of guy, but all I'm going to say on this one is, good luck guys...

garb55
11-30-2014, 09:53 PM
So why do you only hear it on some 14' RTs and ONLY on the 14's?
The 08'-13' spyders all have the fuel pumps in the tank, you sit right on the tank, and you have to wait for them to boot up.

I've always been a "ride more, worry less" kind of guy, but all I'm going to say on this one is, good luck guys...

I had a 2008 GS
I could hear the fuel pump on that bike too

DrewNJ
11-30-2014, 10:04 PM
I had a 2008 GS
I could hear the fuel pump on that bike too
Its nothing like the noise on some of the 14' machines. Not even close....if it was, you had a failing pump!...lol

garb55
12-01-2014, 01:47 AM
Its nothing like the noise on some of the 14' machines. Not even close....if it was, you had a failing pump!...lol

My 2008 had exactly the same noise as my 2014
they both had it since new
Put 60,000 miles on the 2008 with no problems before buying the 2014
The first thing I do if someone's car will not start is to turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump
they all make noise
it is a pump siting in a large metal container
it will make noise

Roadster Renovations
12-01-2014, 05:31 AM
It comes down to whether the pump is designed to lose it's prime when it's off or not. In the fuel injection world of autos, all fuel pumps should hold their pressure. If they do not that is a sign of a faulty check valve and the first sign the pump is failing. If the 1330 fuel pump has to prime itself each time it will be noisy as it builds pressure. Again, back to auto pumps, there are usually 2 main suppliers; Airtech and Bosch. I have put many of both in and by far the Bosch have lasted much longer. I would like to think that BRP had went with the best pump possible, but with the issues of the suspension of the '14's and the tire problems we all have had, I would be very surprised if that had been the case. If mine ever goes out, I will try to get a Bosch replacement, if possible. Out of all of them I have replaced, I have yet to have a Bosch fail.

SpyRyd
12-01-2014, 05:51 AM

After my fuel pump replacement, I no longer hear the whining sound when I turn the key on. In fact I hear no noise/sound whatsoever now when I turn the key on. The silence is deafening! nojoke.

Bob Denman
12-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Your problem is obvious... :shocked:

...It's broken! :roflblack:

SpyRyd
12-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Your problem is obvious... :shocked:

...It's broken! :roflblack:

Not no more, Bob, not no more. Fuel pump replaced, noisy fuel pump problem solved!

DrewNJ
12-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Denial is a very powerful thing.....best of luck though.

JimFoy
12-01-2014, 12:03 PM
One of the BRP gurus at the Durango Owner's Event listened to my 2014 RT, and immediately said that the fuel pump noise was a known issue, and my dealer should replace it under warranty. My dealer replaced it, and the noise is gone. The tech guru said that the fuel pump would probably not fail, but that the noise would increase with age.

2dogs
12-01-2014, 02:19 PM
but, at least we've boiled it down to two possible answers; #1 it's a problem, and #2 it's not a problem. :lecturef_smilie::roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-01-2014, 02:23 PM
:shocked: :agree: :D
It's normal; but it's a problem! :roflblack:

SpyRyd
12-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Denial is a very powerful thing.....best of luck though.

if your post was meant for me, pls explain. I'm not clear as to what I'm in denial of. Thanks,

2dogs
12-01-2014, 09:01 PM
:shocked: :agree: :D
It's normal; but it's a problem! :roflblack:

"The Problem of Spyders" forum :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :gaah:or did you? :roflblack:

DrewNJ
12-01-2014, 09:42 PM
if your post was meant for me, pls explain. I'm not clear as to what I'm in denial of. Thanks,
NO, you are one of the few people who it wasn't meant for. You heard a problem and had it addressed.
Others are trying to convince themselves otherwise...

SpyRyd
12-02-2014, 04:40 AM
NO, you are one of the few people who it wasn't meant for. You heard a problem and had it addressed.
Others are trying to convince themselves otherwise...

Got it, thanks.

rf5
12-08-2014, 08:38 AM
My dealer has just ordered a replacement pump for my RT-S MY 2014 :2thumbs:. When dealer called the BRP Tech guys here in Brazil, they did not make any question and promptly approved the warranty. This shows that it is a known issue by BRP and for those who are complying, they are replacing the pump.

rf5
12-30-2014, 10:39 AM

Ricardo.

The fuel pump module was replaced in my 2014 RT-S by the dealer under warranty and the noise has gone!!! :2thumbs:. BRP in Brazil has already recognized that some units have a faulty pump and may be replaced in any dealer at no charge.
So, for those who believes the loud noise is normal :banghead:, good luck... Someday the Spyder may stop suddenly in the middle of road...

Happy New Year!

rf5
01-05-2015, 07:21 AM
The fuel pump module was replaced in my 2014 RT-S by the dealer under warranty and the noise has gone!!! :2thumbs:. BRP in Brazil has already recognized that some units have a faulty pump and may be replaced in any dealer at no charge.
So, for those who believes the loud noise is normal :banghead:, good luck... Someday the Spyder may stop suddenly in the middle of road...

Happy New Year!

I would like to share some important changes I have noticed after the fuel pump replacement, besides of the silence:

fuel line pressurization is faster;
startup screen is also coming faster;
engine startup is easier;
fuel mileage has improved about 1 km/liter (13.5 to 14.5 km/l);
acceleration is clearly better than before.

For me it was easy to compare before/after fuel pump replacement, as I did not ride any other RT-S 1330 before I purchased mine. So, I suspect the faulty pump was delivering less fuel than needed and this was causing a poor performandce and could cause some engine damage over the time.