PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Spyder RT-S Magnaflow muffler option

spyderyderjim
08-07-2014, 08:40 PM
The 2014 Spyder RT-S Magnaflow muffler #12646 option is a quiet, deep mellow sound that sounds great.
Very quiet deep mellow sound at normal/freeway speed, not much louder than stock muffler with cat-delete bypass pipe.
I really enjoy hearing the deep mellow sound!!
Noticeable torque increase at 4k-6.5k with a neat wailing sound from 1330cc inline triple engine!!!
A 2" inlet exhaust pipe welded over 1 3/4" pipe (from front of stock muffler) to Magnaflow inlet, with heat shield left in place; a 2 1/2" down turned tail pipe.
Muffler shop welded up pipes/hanger & installed Magnaflow muffler for $50 labor.
The key to the quiet mellow Magnaflow sound is the 6" round, 18" long muffler, & the 2 1/2" down turned tailpipe.
(A smaller size tailpipe creates a higher pitch sound).
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-12646
Yes, Magnaflow muffler is a good replacement for choked up stock muffler.
I will try to get a friend to video the sound later next week.
Enjoy.
Jim

Bob Denman
08-07-2014, 08:48 PM
This is being sold as a replacement setup for the RT? :dontknow:
Not a "cob-job"? :thumbup:
Cool! :clap:

Bob Denman
08-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Is a video of this modification possible? I'd LOVE to hear the results! :thumbup:

bluestratos
08-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Not sure I would want that on my bike, it is really ugly, lol

3 Wheel Addict
08-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Needs the polished stainless version. Nice thinking outside the box :thumbup:

spyderyderjim
08-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Ever consider a small Flowmaster to replace the cat, and a simple tailpipe rather than a muffler or silencer?

PK

Hi PK,
I think a smaller Magnaflow muffler would be too loud.
Update after 750 miles 2014 RT-S on Magnaflow #12646 muffler:
Very quiet deep mellow sound at riding speed. Gas mileage increased to several tanks 40 mpg, last 2 tank fill-ups 45 mpg.
Torque increase has a strong surge at 5500 up rpm (probably from flow through exhaust, including cat bypass pipe).
I love the quiet sound in normal riding, then the neat wailing sound getting on the throttle!!!
I have 1800 deg HP Heat Shield ceramic backed wrap on exhaust pipe from front header all the way back to front of muffler.
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/automotive/exhaust-heat-shield-insulation/heatshield-armor
Hi Temp ceramic header flat black paint on muffler/ wrap in front of muffler.
(that is why some comment said it looked ugly, but HP Heat shield with Ceramic backing cuts down on 485 deg heat at inlet pipe to muffler without it).
Magnaflow has the muffler in Polished stainless steel (instead of natural stainless like mine).
For a small $$ investment in Magnaflow muffler, it surpassed my expectations!!
Thanks for input.
Jim :yes:

3 Wheel Addict
08-11-2014, 09:05 PM
The Lamont cat bypass and the stock muffler sounds pretty awesome, might the sound your looking for??

Myoutdoors
08-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Can you post a sound clip or video of your setup? I like it!

DrewNJ
08-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Nice work Jim. Looks fantastic in black!

spyderyderjim
08-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Can you post a sound clip or video of your setup? I like it!

I have a You Tube sound video of my 2014 RT Magnaflow muffler sound clip I took with my smartphone, that I posted today Aug 17, 2014.
Enjoy.
Jim

Quicksilver
08-18-2014, 02:25 PM
I have a You Tube sound video of my 2014 RT Magnaflow muffler sound clip I took with my smartphone, that I posted today Aug 17, 2014.
Enjoy.
Jim

Hey Gang, here is the link to the video. I like the sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa4Bp9gE5iQ

Bob

ChrisW
08-18-2014, 03:11 PM
I like, I want one....

Webjumper
08-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Wow!!

That is cool. Thanks for sharing.:clap:

spyderyderjim
08-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Looks good, sound good. Not sure if the Spyder does like other machines and knows when it is in neutral where it amends the engine parameters until in gear.

I moved forward on this a bit. Ordered a new cat bypass pipe last week. Plan to do this in baby steps to keep the wife, that just does not understand, happy.

Any chance of a second video. Setup the camera on the roadside or have someone record and do a couple of drive bys. The truck guys do this and it offers a perspective of what others hear. Sometimes they will also record while driving, but the Spyder may have too much wind noise to be effective.

Looks good.

PK

Hi PK,
An excellent choice of Lamont's 2" stainless steel cat-delete bypass pipe for your 2014 Spyder RT!!
You will notice an increase in torque off idle on up rpms.
It is a little louder at idle & when you get on the throttle, but very quiet at speed, you probably won't notice a sound difference out on the road.
I don't have any way to record Magnaflow muffler out on the road. I think there would be too much wind noise.
But it is a deeper sound being about as quiet at speed as the stock muffler is with the cat bypass pipe, until you get on the throttle.
When your wife gets used to your cat bypass pipe/stock muffler sound, that is a stepping stone for the deeper tone of the Magnaflow muffler.
I am extremely happy with the RT 1330cc in line triple sound with the cat bypass pipe/Magnaflow muffler.
Best of all it is NOT too loud, just a deeper sound.
Enjoy.
Jim

Denny B.
08-19-2014, 09:08 AM
The rub for me is finding someone to do the retrofit work.