PDA

View Full Version : SRA-Puget Sound Mebership meeting

joet82
08-06-2014, 02:56 PM
on the 16th of August, we will be meeting at Poodle Dog (1522 54th Ave E) in Fife, WA at 10am. We will discuss the By-Laws, The SRA-PS Welcome Packet, perhaps collect dues for the first year, and after all is said and done. go on a brisk 1.5 hour ride to a lunch destination in Morton, WA, you can get lunch, or even a small desert, at a little known place I know. :D

Red angel
08-06-2014, 07:43 PM
I was at the original meeting a couple of weeks ago. As I previously stated at that time, I would highly suggest you check with the IRS to verify if a tax return is due once you collect this dues. If one is due I suggest you review the filing requirements and if your treasurer is prepared to complete it.

Duffer
08-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Well fiddle sticks! Double-booked again :(

At least I made the first one! Michele & I are in full support of the new SRA-PS. Keep us posted. Thanx!

wa3wheels
08-08-2014, 12:55 AM
I was at the original meeting a couple of weeks ago. As I previously stated at that time, I would highly suggest you check with the IRS to verify if a tax return is due once you collect this dues. If one is due I suggest you review the filing requirements and if your treasurer is prepared to complete it.

Why are dues needed ?
What will dues be used for ?

Why not have a 50/50 drawing at every mtg. 50% to winner and 50% to the chapter pot.

KIS

Just my 3 cents

Duffer
08-08-2014, 01:18 AM
Red & WA3: both legitimate concerns that I'm sure should and will be discussed at the next meeting (or the one after that)

I hesitate to dump too many concerns on the very first meeting of this fledgling club; adding to the already daunting burden of those WHO HAVE VOLUNTEERED to give their own free time to get this thing launched. Cudos to them btw

I hope as many folks as possible can make this next meet where we (except for me unfortunately) can debate/discuss these sorts of issues :thumbup:

I personally see no reason why we can't begin these discussions right here tho. Might save some time for the folks at the meeting if issues are laid out in advance and batted around ahead of time
:chat:

Duffer
08-08-2014, 01:28 AM
2nd post for organizational reasons: So...

Q1: Why dues?
What does a club such as this need funds for? How does funds usage then get authorized?
What are the different SUCCESSFUL methods by which other clubs have raised funds when needed?
What are the 'unintended consequences' of requiring dues? (both positive and negative)

Q2: Just how difficult is the Treasurer's job of keeping the IRS happy being a 501C club?
Is it worth the hassle?
Can a club raise funds without the IRS officiality? (see Why Dues?)

add to this your own Qs and responses

Duffer
08-08-2014, 01:39 AM
Some Duffer responses then:

Why do clubs need funds?:
Rides & meets expenses? Like door prizes or the rolling No Host Bar! ;) I dunno. X-Mas party? Raffles? Goodie bags? Trophies? IRS filing fees? I know freebys draw higher participation from my car show days

How hard is this IRS stuff anyway?:
At the 1st meet it was made obvious that some of the folks trying to get this thing launched are involved in other clubs of this nature. This ain't reinventing the wheel. Zillions of clubs operate around this country and we should be able to tap their collective experiences afa "what works and what don't" and I believe we have some of this knowledge available thru folks currently involved in this launch.

Respect their experience is my advise
:2thumbs:

Showie
08-08-2014, 09:35 AM
The SpoKan-AM Chapter formed just a year ago. You might want to contact them as we went had many of the questions you now have. We have a Facebook page and I can give you Directors, with his permission, if you msg me here. Believe it or not there are expense involved with forming a club. We set our dues minimally,only $20 for members and $10 for aux. members.

joet82
08-09-2014, 07:27 PM
These questions and concerned are both being worked on and discussed by the Board. and we will pass on and talk about the status of everything at the meeting.

but to answer one right now....Dues and fund acquired through fund raisers by a non-profit are not taxable in the state of WA.

and the way the San Diego Chapter does dues. it is primarily to pay for administrative charges, I.e.-non-profit application, banners, possibly website, etc. and if there is enough of a surplus, they pay for an annual picnic/bbq.

Red angel
08-10-2014, 11:28 AM
I am not referring to state income taxes when I posed the question. I know Washington has no taxes. I was referring to Federal requirements. There is a form 990-N which needs to be filed annual beginning 5 months after you receive your non profit status and needs to be filed annually. Failure to file will revoke the nonprofit status and may make the funds taxable. I strongly you suggest you look into this before making any further comments regarding taxes.

n7wol
08-14-2014, 07:19 PM
I plan on leaving Bellingham at 8:00 from Starbucks on Sunset Dr (next to I-5 Exit 255)
anyone interested in going down as well let me know 7 people showed they were interest in the club last Sunday

joet82
08-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Meeting location has changed. please note, we are now meeting at Poodle Dog, the address is in my original post on this thread.

Duffer
08-15-2014, 03:01 AM
My schedule just opened.... just a smidge.

I may be able to make this meet!

n7wol
08-15-2014, 07:18 AM
I plan on leaving Bellingham at 8:00 from Starbucks on Sunset Dr (next to I-5 Exit 255)
anyone interested in going down as well let me know 7 people showed they were interest in the club last Sunday

I forgot I need to be there by 9:00 will be leaving at 7:00am from Starbucks on Sunset

HuckFin
08-15-2014, 04:25 PM
I plan on being there too.

Duffer
08-15-2014, 09:09 PM
I forgot I need to be there by 9:00 will be leaving at 7:00am from Starbucks on Sunset

So you'll be buzzing by exit 212 about 7:30 then?

n7wol
08-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Yes I will keep an eye out for you

So you'll be buzzing by exit 212 about 7:30 then?

PatGund
08-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Sorry I missed the last meeting, had business to attend to up in BC