PDA

View Full Version : Dyi oil change

Buggy
08-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Hi....how difficult is it to change the oil on a RT ? ....searched for procedure but wasn't able to find anything.

Should be DIY ...oops !
Cheers

Kevin

billybovine
08-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi....how difficult is it to change the oil on a RT ? ....searched for procedure but wasn't able to find anything.

Should be DIY ...oops !
Cheers

Kevin

What year??? 2010 to 2013 or is it a 2014, it makes a big difference.

sabunim5
08-06-2014, 12:23 PM
In the 08's it was in the owners manual in the frunk.

Buggy
08-06-2014, 12:48 PM
it will be a 2014....I found info in the owners manual online. Thanks

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Contact Blueknight911... I think that he just posted about the needed tools, and amount of oil that you'd need. :thumbup:

PW2013STL
08-06-2014, 02:18 PM
it will be a 2014....I found info in the owners manual online. Thanks

It is very easy to do. One tip is that the drain plug on the left side will start draining long before you can remove the plug. Remove that one first before you open the cover to the oil filter and leave in the cap that has the oil level stick on it. This is to slow the flow of hot oil out of that drain hole. That oil will cover your hand as you unscrew that plug. For me the next time I do this I will use my 3/8" air wrench and let that bathe in that hot oil.
When I did mine to took me about 5 tries to fully remove it as I had to keep stopping to let my hand cool down :banghead:

bluestratos
08-06-2014, 06:04 PM
If you buy the oil change kit from you dealer it comes with instructions. Short answer, very easy on 2014's, I did my first on in less than 1/2 hour.

Buggy
08-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Great...Thanks for the info all.

SPYD3R
08-06-2014, 06:53 PM
IMHO.... I'D JUST ASSUME PAY THE $30 LABOR COST....

I DID THE LAST OIL/FILTERS CHANGE MYSELF JUST TO SAY I DID ONE.... $85 FOR THE 'KIT'... NOT VERY DIFFICULT, BUT UP n DOWN OFF THE FLOOR, RAGS, DISPOSAL OF OLD OIL/FILTERS, ETC ETC ETC..... NEVER AGAIN.... :gaah: GET'n TOO OLD FOR THAT...

IT'S JUST MORE CONVENIENT TO GO TO MY DEALERS AND HAVE IT DONE FOR $115 - $120.... THAT WAY I CAN ALSO FLIRT WITH THE LADIES WHILE I'M THERE.... :roflblack:
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

bmccaffrey
08-06-2014, 07:23 PM

I DID THE LAST OIL/FILTERS CHANGE MYSELF JUST TO SAY I DID ONE.... $85 FOR THE 'KIT'... NOT VERY DIFFICULT, BUT UP n DOWN OFF THE FLOOR, RAGS, DISPOSAL OF OLD OIL/FILTERS, ETC ETC ETC..... NEVER AGAIN.... :gaah: GET'n TOO OLD FOR THAT...

IT'S JUST MORE CONVENIENT TO GO TO MY DEALERS AND HAVE IT DONE FOR $115 - $120.... THAT WAY I CAN ALSO FLIRT WITH THE LADIES WHILE I'M THERE.... :roflblack:
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

Never thought of It that way. Good idea!!!!

jerpinoy
08-06-2014, 07:27 PM

DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

You dirty old man, oopps

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-06-2014, 08:01 PM

DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R....:gaah:...:lecturef_smilie:...Here's the thing about that Dan,.......( the not doing thing ) ...( the girl thing is way cool ).......once you start "NOT DOING THINGS " it becomes harder and harder to do anything...........Trust me on this BRO.....I went thru a period where I stopped doing and it DAMN NEAR KILLED ME .....I do everything I can now no matter how much it might be hurting ....Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Hey... What's wrong with flirting with the Ladies?? :2thumbs: :D

Chupaca
08-07-2014, 12:35 AM
take your time and you will find it is not bad. After the first you only get better..get a shop manual online or follow owners manual..:thumbup:

bluestratos
08-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I am 59 so no spring chicken, I had back surgery last year for a blown disc and remain in constant pain, have serious pain in my knees, shoulders and hips, diabetic nerve pain, arthritis etc. I still get it done in 1/2 hour. I prethink every thing through, have all the right tools on a cart next to me and go at it. When I am do the change I inspect everything while the oil is draining. My dealer chargers considerably more (min shop rate is1 hour @ $95 if I recall) then I have to drive 90 miles (return) sit and wait for the oil change and blow 4-5 hours. I don't flirt, and while I do have interesting conversations while there I don't need to pay to have them, lol.

Each to their own but doing my own work is a pleasure not a chore

ulflyer
08-07-2014, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=bluestratos;854000]I am 59 so no spring chicken, I had back surgery last year for a blown disc and remain in constant pain, have serious pain in my knees, shoulders and hips, diabetic nerve pain, arthritis etc. I still get it done in 1/2 hour. I prethink every thing through, have all the right tools on a cart next to me and go at it. When I am do the change I inspect everything while the oil is draining. My dealer chargers considerably more (min shop rate is1 hour @ $95 if I recall) then I have to drive 90 miles (return) sit and wait for the oil change and blow 4-5 hours. I don't flirt, and while I do have interesting conversations while there I don't need to pay to have them, lol.

Each to their own but doing my own work is a pleasure not a chore[/QUOTe

+1.......80 next month and it gives me a lot of satisfaction knowing it was done right. I would trust my current dealer completely if I needed them to do it, but a previous one screwed up a bolt head on the filter cover and also refused to put in anything what wasn't Brp. That was the end of that one. Current shop is set up so that you can perch on a stool nearby and watch, and make good contact with the two techs. They don't hide behind closed doors. :D