PDA

View Full Version : BRP Tires

killerbee
08-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Had a new rear tire put on at Spyderfest 2013 and had to replace it this week. 5,000 miles on a tire is crazy...$300 bucks is crazy too! Mechanic said that's about average.:banghead:

BajaRon
08-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Had a new rear tire put on at Spyderfest 2013 and had to replace it this week. 5,000 miles on a tire is crazy...$300 bucks is crazy too! Mechanic said that's about average.:banghead:

Get an aftermarket tire. It will last longer and cost you a lot less. Dealer will be unhappy, you will be happy.

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 09:23 AM
:dontknow:
What bike do you have?
My tires seemed to go bald on my 2010 quickly; your mileage might be on the low side, but within range. :shocked:
Your right wrist, and the roads you run; will ultimately determine tire mileage.

bluestratos
08-06-2014, 09:29 AM
There is no question the current tires are not up to the challenge. I heard BRP was change back to the earlier compound but how is one to know that is what. Change tires at every oil change is outrageous and certainly not a good reason to buy Spyders.

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 09:53 AM
While I DO agree with you :thumbup:; some context is needed... :shocked:
Didja ever own a really "BEEG leaner"? 4,000 miles on a rear tire, was actually considered pretty good for them. :yikes:
It's what it took to enjoy the Sport! :D

recordingguy
08-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Had my tires changed at 7,000 due to excessive wear on out side of front tires. Had a alignment done and new tires front and back at that time. now have 26,000 and tires still look great. Just like many Spyders the front end is not correct from factory. Go figure! Bob

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Didja ever own a really "BEEG leaner"? 4,000 miles on a rear tire, was actually considered pretty good for them. :yikes:
:lecturef_smilie:.......Apples to oranges Bob..........My Toyt. Echo got 65,000 Miles on a set of tires ...So should we use that to compare the Spyder to also ?????.......NOT !!!!!!!~Mikeguyver

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Not trying to compare Apples to Apples...
Just letting folks know where we came from in this sport... :D :2thumbs:

HEY! We've got a guy looking for advice about oil chnges in another thread; I gave him your name... :thumbup:

sddinnh
08-06-2014, 01:14 PM

HEY! We've got a guy looking for advice about oil chnges in another thread; I gave him your name... :thumbup:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: - FUNNY MAN :bowdown::bowdown:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-06-2014, 01:14 PM

HEY! We've got a guy looking for advice about oil chnges in another thread; I gave him your name... :thumbup:.............:hun: Hey! I just fixed the RT center arm bracket " breakage " problem........you must have missed it in the " RT SHOP TALK " FORUM ........Mikeguyver :2excited: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 01:18 PM
I'll check out the latest postings on it... :thumbup:

sledmaster
08-06-2014, 01:23 PM
You guys are too funny.

Maybe we should remind everyone, before they start a NEW THREAD, to use the SEARCH function and see how many times the same question has been asked and answered before? Hmmm?

I realize we are all LAZY at times, but seriously, how many times do we have to see the same exact question asked over and over and over again?

OK, I regress, there are times where one might be seeking the latest and greatest knowledge on a certain subject, but....PLEASE could more of us use the search function before starting a new thread? Please? It is not my intent to be picking on anyone in particular, just generalizing. It is a chronic pattern as we all know far too well. :banghead:

Hey Mike, how 'bout them POS Kenda tires on the Spyder? Ha ha.

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 01:27 PM
While :agree: that there's a fair amount of duplicative efforts in here... :opps:
It just isn't easy to stop it; so we endure! :D
Folks won't read their own manuals in order to answer the simplist questions...
How can we expect them to understand how the Search Engine works?

sledmaster
08-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Agreed. They are taking the easy route.

Hey Bob, did you ever notice you have made 324 times the posts I have? In like one-half the time? Damn! :yes:

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm living proof, that folks with nothing to say....

...say it the loudest, and most often. :opps:

And I love talkin' sleds with you! :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
08-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Back to tires. Sorry! :roflblack:

Looking at the tires on my 2014 at 6000 miles now. Both the fronts and the rear tire still look new. Don't think I am going to need rear tires until at least 10,000. Fronts--hoping to go the 20,000 I usually get.

My 2014 was mfg. on 4/19 and I took delivery on 4/30. Did I get a "new" batch of tires. :dontknow:

PW2013STL
08-06-2014, 02:00 PM

Hey Bob, did you ever notice you have made 324 times the posts I have? In like one-half the time? Damn! :yes:

There is an advantage to having your own business - right Bob :clap:

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 02:01 PM
"My 2014 was mfg. on 4/19 and I took delivery on 4/30. Did I get a "new" batch of tires. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/shrug.gif"

You must have... :thumbup:
Mine is at 2,900 miles and counting; It's showing some wear now... :shocked:

wyliec
08-06-2014, 02:03 PM

You're right; it's much easier than typing in 'tires' to search and having to sift 4 pages of threads and hundreds of post. Then, if you try to get smart and type in 'tire wear', you have to hope that 'wear' was spelled correctly.

But, what I like best is when you link the OP to a thread where his/her question was already asked and answered, and others come on to try and answer, completely ignoring the link.

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 02:03 PM
There is an advantage to having your own business - right Bob :clap:

It puts me closer to the computer on a daily basis! :D

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 02:06 PM
You're right; it's much easier than typing in 'tires' to search and having to sift 4 pages of threads and hundreds of post. Then, if you try to get smart and type in 'tire wear', you have to hope that 'wear' was spelled correctly.

:agree: "Tar Ware" won't work... :gaah:

sledmaster
08-06-2014, 02:07 PM
OK, back to tires.

We had been tracking the different part numbers used for the rear tires since 2008, and the 2013s and 2014s did in fact have a different part number for the rear. When I had burned through the original rear on my 2013 ST-S last fall in 2,500 miles (was ready to be replaced, but still ran it out of spite 'till 3,750) we contacted BRP service and Dany D. told us that they had in fact went to a softer compound and that they were working on it, which I assumed to mean were working with kenda to continually tweak the next batch, whether it be quality control or intentional compound variations. They knew the new # tires were not lasting as long, then compound this with heavier Spyders and we were not getting the miles from the OEM tires like we used to.

Oh well, after the first OEM tire went away so quickly on the ST-S I immediately switched to the dark side like I had with the GS.

We had also been told there was a "bad batch" of tires but understood this to be fronts, not rears, as some of the fronts were going away very quickly as well. Some of course were alignment issues, but some were not. Never did hear anything official on that one, I suppose that would just open a can of worms. :yikes:

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 02:13 PM
For a while, it seemed as if there was a rash of belt failures on the fronts... :banghead:
That sure seems like it could be a "Bad Batch"... :shocked:

sddinnh
08-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Ok - back to tires

As of right now (on 2014 RTL MFG in Feb 2014 with almost 8000 miles on it) I'm running ALL new tires. The rear was pretty much gone at 7000 so I replaced it with a Michelin Hydroedge 215 / 60 / 15. If they did a new rear compound it was after February.

Then when we had it in for the Elka shocks last week, we noticed that the fronts were starting to cup badly and since I was leaving on a trip this weekend and didn't have time to do an aftermarket search, we just threw a new set of Kendas on the front and made sure they balanced up well and we took another shot at the alignment. The tread wear didn't look bad on the fronts, but boy were they cupped.

So now, with a 1000 miles on the Hydroedge, I can say that I really like that tire (wouldn't you know they've been discontinued) so I went out and found another one to have hanging around as a spare. I'll keep an eye on the fronts and will also long term find a quality replacement while I'm wearing those out.

I should also say the I'm running 25 psi F / 28 psi R.

rgk
08-06-2014, 02:40 PM

On a K1000RS or an S1000R with Pirelli Rossos that would be quite acceptable. I would rather have a soft sticky tire that worked well on a wet surface, than a long lived tire that did not.

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Dan McNally
08-06-2014, 02:48 PM

You guys are too funny.

Maybe we should remind everyone, before they start a NEW THREAD, to use the SEARCH function and see how many times the same question has been asked and answered before? Hmmm?

I realize we are all LAZY at times, but seriously, how many times do we have to see the same exact question asked over and over and over again?

OK, I regress, there are times where one might be seeking the latest and greatest knowledge on a certain subject, but....PLEASE could more of us use the search function before starting a new thread? Please? It is not my intent to be picking on anyone in particular, just generalizing. It is a chronic pattern as we all know far too well. :banghead:

Hey Mike, how 'bout them POS Kenda tires on the Spyder? Ha ha.

He didn't ask a question . . . he merely expressed a comment regarding his experience . . . what should he have searched for "How does killerbee feel about his tire?" :dontknow:

sledmaster
08-06-2014, 02:50 PM
My fronts are cupped terribly as well, noticed it back a month or so and now at 10,000 miles I am ready to replace. Been trying to stretch them this far, barely made it.

Problem is this 165/55 15 OE size is so very rare, only aftermarket option in the exact size (here in the U.S.) seems to be a Federal EVO 595 that is a drifter tire, pretty stiff sidewalls, not really too keen on that one.

The fenders are so very tight I do not know if we can squeak a set of 175/55 15s in there or not. I have not found anyone who has done this yet.

Might look into a 165/60 15 which is only 2.9% bigger diameter, same width, but only offered in like a Conti Pro Contact. Then there is a slighty narrower (10mm) 155/60 15 which is 0.8% bigger diameter, also in Conti Pro Contact or Kumho Solus KH 16. They are only a T 118 mph speed rating, ick. Was hoping for more of a summer performance tire with some sticky tread, thus why so many get stuck using the OE Kendas up front on the 15" fronts on the 2013s and 2014s. :gaah:

sledmaster
08-06-2014, 02:52 PM
He didn't ask a question . . . he merely expressed a comment regarding his experience . . . what should he have searched for "How does killerbee feel about his tire?" :dontknow:

Valid point. He likely felt shafted, I can relate.

Dan McNally
08-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Valid point. He likely felt shafted, I can relate.

I just ordered a Kumho Ecsta AST, this week . . . a local custom trike shop is going to mount and balance it for me . . . I know how he feels, too!

sddinnh
08-06-2014, 03:20 PM
I just ordered a Kumho Ecsta AST, this week . . . a local custom trike shop is going to mount and balance it for me . . . I know how he feels, too!

I'm fortunate. My dealer will do ANYTHING I ask him to. Mount and balance off brand tires, install a brake on the handle bars, or put in aftermarket shocks and sway bars he doesn't care. The service manager and the tech are happy to do anything to keep me a happy customer. :thumbup:

PW2013STL
08-06-2014, 03:24 PM
My fronts are cupped terribly as well, noticed it back a month or so and now at 10,000 miles I am ready to replace. Been trying to stretch them this far, barely made it.

Problem is this 165/55 15 OE size is so very rare, only aftermarket option in the exact size (here in the U.S.) seems to be a Federal EVO 595 that is a drifter tire, pretty stiff sidewalls, not really too keen on that one.

The fenders are so very tight I do not know if we can squeak a set of 175/55 15s in there or not. I have not found anyone who has done this yet.

Might look into a 165/60 15 which is only 2.9% bigger diameter, same width, but only offered in like a Conti Pro Contact. Then there is a slighty narrower (10mm) 155/60 15 which is 0.8% bigger diameter, also in Conti Pro Contact or Kumho Solus KH 16. They are only a T 118 mph speed rating, ick. Was hoping for more of a summer performance tire with some sticky tread, thus why so many get stuck using the OE Kendas up front on the 15" fronts on the 2013s and 2014s. :gaah:

Mine too. I started to notice it at 9000 (now at 10000) and had the dealer recheck the laser alignment. That checked out so I plan on using them the rest of the year and then replace. Please post what tire you decide on and how it fits.

sledmaster
08-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Mine too. I started to notice it at 9000 (now at 10000) and had the dealer recheck the laser alignment. That checked out so I plan on using them the rest of the year and then replace. Please post what tire you decide on and how it fits.

Will do. I know our guy at Ollie's has been fighting this on several units.

MouthPiece
08-06-2014, 04:27 PM

That mechanic is full of BS.

Chris

Chupaca
08-06-2014, 04:41 PM
For a three day weekend..case of your favorite drink then search tires...then get back to us with a wrap up...:roflblack:

900Dave
08-06-2014, 04:43 PM
My Kunho arrived today. Rear tire is shot at 7000 miles, only in the center of course. My fronts look real good, starting to cup a little bit on the outside. I plan to have them rotated at 10,000 miles and expect or hope to get 20,000 out of the fronts.

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 05:21 PM

. :gaah:

There are some 155/60-15s available that'lll fit! :2thumbs:

I'm glad that you mentioned the front fenders...
I did some quick measuring this past weekend... the "new" fenders have less than 3/4 of an inch clearance to the tire... The "Old" fenders were over an inch and a quarter... :shocked:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-06-2014, 05:39 PM
with all i have read about tires since i bought my :spyder2:, i am keeping an eye on mine, i did the road force last week when i redid my wheels & with 3,400 miles on them i don't see anything wrong.......yet. I still have very high tread without any noticeable edge wear or feathering. When the time comes i will do my research on what tires are best for my bike. The only thing
i don't know if i will be able to do is pull the rear wheel off.

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Don't worry; be happy!! :D
If you let every negative post in here upset you...

...you'd be dead! :shocked:

And THAT would be something to worry about!

sddinnh
08-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Tires are like oil - there is no "best" one - only ones that individuals consider the best of whats available to them :yikes:

dndfindley
08-09-2014, 12:30 AM

:)

ThreeWheels
08-09-2014, 03:01 AM
Not to hijack the thread.

But, what I like best is when you link the OP to a thread where his/her question was already asked and answered, and others come on to try and answer, completely ignoring the link.

HOW MANY GROUP POSTERS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
53 to flame the spell checkers
41 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"
109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group
203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped
111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group
306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"
4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ
44 to ask what is a "FAQ"
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

OK, now back to tires............................................. .......

dndfindley
08-09-2014, 02:31 PM

Believe it or not those tires are rare. My Kenda is almost bald down the center at 9400 miles. I am having the dealer mount a Kumho Ecsta Ast next week. I had to order it from Discount Tire which is the only place I could find it. The person there told me they had just ordered another one for another Spyder rider in the area. Maybe Discount Tire will start stocking them locally. A local mom and pop tire store said they didn't think they were even made anymore. Even Tire Rack which is probably the largest tire dealer in the U.S. does NOT have this particular tire in size 225/50-15. BTW I am having it installed when I take my RT in for scheduled maintenance and the dealer stated they have no problem mounting any tire provided by the owner as long as it is a NEW tire.

Highwayman2013
08-09-2014, 03:20 PM
We have a 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy on the rear and after over 4000 miles including a 3079 trip to Canada on paved and dirt roads (thanks Garmin) we love the tire. It shows very little wear and I would put it on again. Fronts are still Kendas after 13000 miles and an alignment from Mike and Norm at 2013 SpyderQuest.:thumbup:

Purple Guy
08-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Believe it or not those tires are rare. My Kenda is almost bald down the center at 9400 miles. I am having the dealer mount a Kumho Ecsta Ast next week. I had to order it from Discount Tire which is the only place I could find it. The person there told me they had just ordered another one for another Spyder rider in the area. Maybe Discount Tire will start stocking them locally. A local mom and pop tire store said they didn't think they were even made anymore. Even Tire Rack which is probably the largest tire dealer in the U.S. does NOT have this particular tire in size 225/50-15. BTW I am having it installed when I take my RT in for scheduled maintenance and the dealer stated they have no problem mounting any tire provided by the owner as long as it is a NEW tire.

I've called every dealer in the city that sells Kumho tires and everyone says the Kumho Ecsta Ast is no longer available???
I got one dealer that's going to call Kumho directly and see if they can get me one.
I may have to order it from discounttiredirect.com and have them ship it up to me which is going to be about $150 for a $81 tire.
The only tire I've found locally is a Falken ZE 912 but not to impressed with the reviews on that tire...

Bob Denman
08-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Not to hijack the thread.

HOW MANY GROUP POSTERS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
53 to flame the spell checkers
41 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"
109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group
203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped
111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group
306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"
4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ
44 to ask what is a "FAQ"
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

OK, now back to tires............................................. .......
Well now I just feel horrible! :shocked:
You never even mentioned how many posts I would likely throw onto the pile... :banghead: :gaah:

Deanna777
08-13-2014, 06:44 PM
"My 2014 was mfg. on 4/19 and I took delivery on 4/30. Did I get a "new" batch of tires. :dontknow:"

You must have... :thumbup:
Mine is at 2,900 miles and counting; It's showing some wear now... :shocked:Bob: Time for a new set of tires:roflblack::roflblack: or some ice cream:roflblack::roflblack:. Dee