PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RT WILL NOT START - TURN OVER

grumpybob
08-05-2014, 01:04 PM
There is probably a few posts on this subject already, I just haven't found them.

Anyway my 2012 RT will not turn over. here is what I have done.

checked battery terminals - clean & tight
checked battery voltage - 12.35 volts
tried both keys - no good results
went thru start up procedure 10 plus times - no turn over
checked emergency shutoff switch multiple times - no good results
hitting mode button at correct time - no good results
all electronics are working - screen, radio, lights, etc.

Any helpful ideas appreciated.

Also talked to dealer. he is going to pick it up & trailer possibly tonight depending on bad weather or not.

Cruzr Joe
08-05-2014, 01:06 PM
There is probably a few posts on this subject already, I just haven't found them.

Also talked to dealer. he is going to pick it up & trailer possibly tonight depending on bad weather or not.

Step on brake when trying to start???

Cruzr joe

grumpybob
08-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Step on brake when trying to start???

Cruzr joe I forgot to state that. SE5 parking brake is on & stepped on brake when trying. Also tried with parking brake off. Transmission is in neutral.

Magdave
08-05-2014, 01:19 PM
12.3v is not a fully charged battery mine reads 13v :dontknow: Try charging it up or jump start.

Jim&Teresa
08-05-2014, 01:21 PM
12.3v is not a fully charged battery mine reads 13v :dontknow: Try charging it up or jump start.

:agree: Jump starting it would tell you if the battery/connections may be the issue. If the jump doesn't work, could be starter or ????

Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Ivorspyder
08-05-2014, 01:30 PM

Also talked to dealer. he is going to pick it up & trailer possibly tonight depending on bad weather or not.It happened to me on my 2012.Check under the seat at the ground wire.It tends to come loose and will be dead when that happens.Upon contact will start but needs tightening up.I believe it happens a lot.My guy put a second ground in to prevent it happening.

Bob Denman
08-05-2014, 01:46 PM
:shocked:
Both possibilities that I would have mentioned, have been trotted out! :thumbup:
The battery is over two years old... it might need to be load-tested...
The hidden gound strap was my second choice...
Good Luck, and please let us know where the fault was! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_15.gif

grumpybob
08-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Will put the charger on it for a couple of hrs. then check the voltage again, along with rechecking the ground & pos.terminals. I have been thinking it might be the ignition switch. Already have an appointment for an oil chg. on Monday. We have 3 days of dog competition up near Rochester on Fri., sat., & Sun. so I am not going to ride until next week, so dealer can have it until next Mon. to work on it.

grumpybob
08-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Will put the charger on it for a couple of hrs. then check the voltage again, along with rechecking the ground & pos.terminals. I have been thinking it might be the ignition switch. Already have an appointment for an oil chg. on Monday. We have 3 days of dog competition up near Rochester on Fri., sat., & Sun. so I am not going to ride until next week, so dealer can have it until next Mon. to work on it.

grumpybob
08-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Success. She is running. this is what I did.

tightened the neg. nut - seemed to be tight.

in the frunk - # 11 & 12 15 Amp fuses pulled & reset both were good but felt like they were not seated all the way

relay 2 the pre start relay - pulled and reseated. again felt like it was not fully seated.

checked voltage with the charger on, before starting - 13.1 volts.

pushed in on all other fuses/relays in frunk just to be sure they were all seated.

Will see how it goes next week when I have time to ride. If it happens again will let you know the outcome.

Thanks for your replies,
Bob

Now back to putting a cold air induction system on my new Nissan Frontier. May have to wait a week now.

Magdave
08-05-2014, 03:02 PM
:thumbup: Low battery/loose ground will get you every time. Probably saved yourself $100 at least at the dealer .